• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

Massa

DangerousDave said:
73 of metascore in a FPS in 360 (it's competing in the big league) is shitty. The users have too many similar (and much better) games to choose.

It's an average game and people have a lot more options, specially at $60. Still, it's not a shitty game.

gkryhewy

Flying_Phoenix said:
Slight "uptick"? Didn't the Wii sell LESS than it did the previous month WSR did? Regardless the Wii still sold very poor in comparison to its usual sales and so far this trend hasn't been shaking.

No.

Wii July 2009: 252.5k
Wii August 2009: 277.4k (+10%)

Wii July-August change 2008: -19%, 555k-->453k

markatisu

Flying_Phoenix said:
Slight "uptick"? Didn't the Wii sell LESS than it did the previous month WSR did? Regardless the Wii still sold very poor in comparison to its usual sales and so far this trend hasn't been shaking.

No it sold more, and what should Wii sales be? The claim its "usual" is the abnormally high sales it got up to

The fact is regardless of how much it will is not down from last month which is good and sort of proves Iwata's idea that WSR takes 6-8 weeks to show hardware movement

Massa said:
I think Activision totally dropping the marketing for that game after id was bought by Bethesda had a much bigger impact than the game's quality - which wasn't "shitty" at all.
Personally I didn't even know there was a 360/PS3 version. I thought it was another PC only release.

onipex

markatisu said:
No it sold more, and what should Wii sales be? The claim its "usual" is the abnormally high sales it got up to

The fact is regardless of how much it will is not down from last month which is good and sort of proves Iwata's idea that WSR takes 6-8 weeks to show hardware movement

Don't you know that when the Wii had those abnormally high sales it was doomed to be a fad. Now that it is selling at PS2 level it is doomed , because Nintendo could not keep it abnormally high.

Here is something. The Wii dropped about 50% yoy and its sales are now seen as poor. What does that say about the PS3 and 360 since it still outsells them?

The PS3 needs to outsell the 360 next month. If it outsells the Wii too that is even better. If it fails to do either then I think there is no hope for it to close the gap with 360. If it only outsells it for a month or two then it still does not matter.

laserbeam

Banned
onipex said:
Don't you know that when the Wii had those abnormally high sales it was doomed to be a fad. Now that it is selling at PS2 level it is doomed , because Nintendo could not keep it abnormally high.

Here is something. The Wii dropped about 50% yoy and its sales are now seen as poor. What does that say about the PS3 and 360 since it still outsells them?

The PS3 needs to outsell the 360 next month. If it outsells the Wii too that is even better. If it fails to do either then I think there is no hope for it to close the gap with 360. If it only outsells it for a month or two then it still does not matter.

Well Sony has a bigger problem to look at too.

Software sales. Both in the US and Japan the boost in sales did not reflect in software sales. Heck in japan they released a ton of Platinum hits style releases with the Slim launch. Each of them were lucky to sell more than 5k even though PS3 sales were 150k units.

laserbeam said:
Well Sony has a bigger problem to look at too.

Software sales. Both in the US and Japan the boost in sales did not reflect in software sales. Heck in japan they released a ton of Platinum hits style releases with the Slim launch. Each of them were lucky to sell more than 5k even though PS3 sales were 150k units.
150k, you would think that there'd be some report from someone who bought it about what the fuck game they bought too.

Fady K

jrricky said:
Umm...how so?

I so agree with his statement, in fact i was thinking the same thing when i first played through most of it. The idea of exploration and getting additional gadgets and gear that give you access to previously inaccessible areas is something very few games, namely Metroid and Castlevania, did right for me. Then Batman did the same.

markatisu said:

The only reason the Wii isn't down from last month is because unlike April, May, June, and July, August isn't too slow of a month. Nearly all hardware had an increase this NPD. The only thing that Wii's upheaval shows is that it supports typical annual market trends. And the problem isn't that the Wii isn't selling as well as it use to be, but the fact that it's currently nowhere near where it used to be and is now selling much closer to an average console instead of a market leader.

laserbeam

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
150k, you would think that there'd be some report from someone who bought it about what the fuck game they bought too.

Initially it could be possible explained away as rebuys from people who own a Phat but its a trend to watch. If sales stay boosted but overall software sales dont see a boost it does not change alot as far as healthy position in the industry.

Though using Japan for example if 140K or so were rebuys that does not bode well for Sony either.

laserbeam said:
Initially it could be possible explained away as rebuys from people who own a Phat but its a trend to watch. If sales stay boosted but overall software sales dont see a boost it does not change alot as far as healthy position in the industry.

Didn't a whole crudload of PS3 titles go all Venom supplement sales-wise in the UK after le Slim launch?

laserbeam

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Didn't a whole crudload of PS3 titles go all Venom supplement sales-wise in the UK after le Slim launch?

Yeah there is 4 or so titles in the UK that got a decent boost from the launch. It seems to be the only region where such a thing actually happened. Would be nice if we got actual numbers with weekly PAL charts.

EDarkness

amtentori said:
Do we know the LTD of Madden 09?

Wouldn't EA have gotten hint if 09<08 or if 09 not >>08 with the massive increase in wii userbase that year? Make it more casual, thats the answer.

This while tiger gets sales boosts as it gets more full featured, more realistic, and more complex controls each year.

The most important thing you mention though. no matter the reason, if you cant sell the biggest and arguably the only real football game of the year to the platform with the highest userbase in the US, you are clearly doing something wrong.

I wish I had the numbers for Madden 09 on the Wii.

Either way, the issue here is that they are changing Madden without understanding who the actual audience who buys Madden is or why they buy Madden in the first place. Instead, they're thinking "it's the Wii so only casual players use it", which is completely wrong. From my own point of view, I would buy Madden if they would actually put some effort in making it the best "sim" football game with as many features as the HD versions. This mini-game stuff just isn't doing it for me and I would assume that there are many others like me out there who just wanted Madden 07 improved with all the features the other versions got. The Wii version shouldn't be any different as far as the audience goes as the HD systems.

Basileus777 said:
EA hasn't made Madden into a good sim on any platform. The only way in which the Wii version is less of a sim is the graphical style.

Heh, heh. True, but it's the closest thing we have...unfortunately.

donny2112

USMadden1st.png

TheDuce22

Banned
AniHawk said:
Wolfenstein 360: 59k
Wolfenstein PS3: 30k
Wolfenstein PC: 17k

So sad. Better than 99% of the FPS games released this year. I wonder why the publisher sandbagged this game with ZERO advertising or support.

TheDuce22 said:
So sad. Better than 99% of the FPS games released this year. I wonder why the publisher sandbagged this game with ZERO advertising or support.

They don't own the IP and this will be most likely the last game they publish under this franchise.
They don't have a relationship with id anymore.
This same dev has a game coming out next year with an IP they do own.
Metacritic score of 75 or below for all versions of the game. (Not saying that is represensentative of the quality necessarily but that has been the reception it received.
They own a World War 2 IP that just got done selling 11 million copies.

Next month will be interesting to see. I imagine it will be pretty much status quo though considering ODST and that the PS3 slim was out at retail prior to aug 29th. It will be a tight race though.

onipex

Flying_Phoenix said:
The only reason the Wii isn't down from last month is because unlike April, May, June, and July, August isn't too slow of a month. Nearly all hardware had an increase this NPD. The only thing that Wii's upheaval shows is that it supports typical annual market trends. And the problem isn't that the Wii isn't selling as well as it use to be, but the fact that it's currently nowhere near where it used to be and is now selling much closer to an average console instead of a market leader.

1. The Wii actually went down in August last year, which you were already made aware of.

2. The Wii is selling at the rate of a market leader, because it is selling at the rate of the PS2.

3. No home console has sold as high as the Wii did last year for as long as it did. No one expected it to sell that high for a long as it did and no one knew when it would drop to normal market leader levels.

4. The Wii is selling at the rate of the PS2 despite PS2 level software support from third parties or a new 1st party hit from Nintendo this year until WSR hit. I would be amazed if the Wii got back up to the level it was last year.

Cheez-It

onipex said:
3. No home console has sold as high as the Wii did last year for as long as it did. No one expected it to sell that high for a long as it did and no one knew when it would drop to normal market leader levels.

You are ruling out ignorants, fools, and the like.

Bizzyb

Banned
onipex said:
1. The Wii actually went down in August last year, which you were already made aware of.

2. The Wii is selling at the rate of a market leader, because it is selling at the rate of the PS2.

4. The Wii is selling at the rate of the PS2 despite PS2 level software support from third parties or a new 1st party hit from Nintendo this year until WSR hit. I would be amazed if the Wii got back up to the level it was last year.

It seems like the Wii was always to be damned if it did and damned if it didn't. There is something about this industry that almost wants to see Wii fail. Too bad none of the nay-sayers prophecies came true, despite how hard I bet they were wising they would.

Jokeropia

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This is a silly comparison, because Sony's first party isn't/wasn't nearly strong enough to carry the PS2 to 120 million plus sales without Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, GTA, DMC, Tekken, and every sports game under the sun. If you made all of those franchises GCN/Xbox-only multiplats the PS2 would have been slaughtered.
Third party games don't only compete with first party games, they also compete with each other.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This is a silly comparison, because Sony's first party isn't/wasn't nearly strong enough to carry the PS2 to 120 million plus sales without Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, GTA, DMC, Tekken, and every sports game under the sun. If you made all of those franchises GCN/Xbox-only multiplats the PS2 would have been slaughtered.
Sure, but I'm saying look at the situation one at a time.

PS2 without Konami? It's still going to sell a hundred million. If so many users are already attracted by what's there, where is Konami going to get their shoe in the door?

PS2 without Koei. It's still going to sell a hundred million. If so many users are already attracted by what's there, where is Koei going to get their shoe in the door?

PS2 without Ubisoft. It's still going to sell a hundred million. If so many users are already attracted by what's there, where is Ubisoft going to get their shoe in the door?

Some LTD numbers for the Wii.

For example, Sega's Madworld launched with sales of only 66,000 units in March of this year. At the time some felt that sales might pick up over time. As of August 2009, total sales of Madworld have climbed to 123,000 or an average of around 11,000 units for each month after launch, NPD tells Gamasutra.

However, there is ample evidence that M-rated action games can sell well on the Wii, and we need only look at last year's Call of Duty: World at War for the proof. According to exclusive NPD Group data provided to Gamasutra, sales of World at War on the Wii have finally reached over 750,000.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25241

szaromir said:
Standalone or counting game boundles? If the former, then I'm impressed.

I think the NPD count M+ separately from the games it's bundled with. Good news if so, as it seems the accessory is getting out there in huge numbers globally, and with the black Remote/M+ bundle due soon that can only continue.

laserbeam

Banned
szaromir said:
Standalone or counting game boundles? If the former, then I'm impressed.

Yeah thats gotta be standalone because 754K M+ alone were sold bundled with resort.

1.53 Million Motion Plus for August in the US alone.

onipex said:

The problem is that it's been going downward drastically fast and is now only some 10k from the 360 despite huge software that could push it. There is a difference from gradually selling less and less and free falling. But hey, spin, spin, spin.

Vinci

Danish
Flying_Phoenix said:
The problem is that it's been going downward drastically fast and is now only some 10k from the 360 despite huge software that could push it. But hey, spin, spin, spin.

It's not spin. At what point did selling faster than the PS2 become a metric for doom?

Vinci

Danish
Flying_Phoenix said:
When you come across a sharp drop when a rival console started to become so close.

A 'sharp drop' is expected when you have been flying closer to Heaven than everyone else, man. It was never going to maintain that pace of sales, so now it has to settle for PS2 levels. Horrible, I know, but Nintendo will manage.

Vinci said:
A 'sharp drop' is expected when you have been flying closer to Heaven than everyone else, man. It was never going to maintain that pace of sales, so now it has to settle for PS2 levels. Horrible, I know, but Nintendo will manage.

Alright fine I admit that I'm jumping the gun too early here. But still I'd still be considered for Nintendo.

Vinci

Danish
Flying_Phoenix said:
Alright fine I admit that I'm jumping the gun too early here. But still I'd still be considered for Nintendo.

We'll just see how it goes. I'm not going to cry one way or another, but I think declaring it game over is very premature. That's all I'm saying. By year's end I'll have a PS3, so if it starts outselling the Wii month-to-month (I don't expect this) that's fine with me.

onipex

Flying_Phoenix said:
The problem is that it's been going downward drastically fast and is now only some 10k from the 360 despite huge software that could push it. There is a difference from gradually selling less and less and free falling. But hey, spin, spin, spin.

What spin? I was responding to a claim that the Wii was not selling at the rate of a market leader. The last time I checked the PS2 was a market leader.

markatisu

Vinci said:
We'll just see how it goes. I'm not going to cry one way or another, but I think declaring it game over is very premature. That's all I'm saying. By year's end I'll have a PS3, so if it starts outselling the Wii month-to-month (I don't expect this) that's fine with me.

Not sure why anyone would have to cry anyway, 3 consoles selling great is good news for everyone. Unless people find some pleasure in watching things go bad like with the Saturn, Dreamcast, and Neo-Geo.

onipex said:
What spin? I was responding to a claim that the Wii was not selling at the rate of a market leader. The last time I checked the PS2 was a market leader.

It seems that I forgot how much the industry has changed over the past half a decade.

Flying_Phoenix said:
It seems that I forgot how much the industry has changed over the past half a decade.
The industry on the backs of the Wii and DS saw huge growth early on. The DS is still on that growth trajectory and the Wii leveled off into normal market leader range. I'm less surprised by the Wii leveling off then I am of the DS maintaining it's journey to heaven.

Top Bottom