• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

donny2112

DeaconKnowledge said:
A Nintendo that's not bulldozing the competition is a dead Nintendo apparently.

Last gen:
Nintendo stinks! They're getting bulldozed by the competition!

This gen:
Nintendo stinks! The competition has almost stopped getting bulldozed by them!

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
donny2112 said:
Last gen:
Nintendo stinks! They're getting bulldozed by the competition!

This gen:
Nintendo stinks! The competition has almost stopped getting bulldozed by them!

If NSMB Wii does great, I hope Mama Robotnik makes a gif of it.
I'd love to see mario driving a bulldozer overtop of a ps3 and 360, it'd be good for a laugh

DeaconKnowledge said:
A Nintendo that's not bulldozing the competition is a dead Nintendo apparently.

Yeah, right now Nintendo's not "bulldozing" the competition, they're only using a regular sized car to run them over. Complete failure, right? :p

I do think Nintendo needs to do more to juice up the Wii, though: not in comparison to the competition or themselves, but just out of common sense (on the sales side), and for me (on the games side).

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Leondexter said:
I do think Nintendo needs to do more to juice up the Wii, though: not in comparison to the competition or themselves, but just out of common sense (on the sales side), and for me (on the games side).

I'm still impatient to see what Retro's big project is. I'm still praying more for a WRPG instead of an FPS, since it would really utilize their talents far better.

markatisu said:
Not sure why anyone would have to cry anyway, 3 consoles selling great is good news for everyone. Unless people find some pleasure in watching things go bad like with the Saturn, Dreamcast, and Neo-Geo.

I'd love to see fewer platforms. Right now, the 360 and PS3 offer about 90% redundancy, and even among platforms as varied as the iPhone, Wiiware, PSN/XBLA, the DS, the PSP, and the PC / Steam, there's plenty of unnecessary overlap.

I'd much prefer to trim that down, but that's not the way the market is going. Games will continue to spread out to every available device and service.

markatisu

Leondexter said:
I'd love to see fewer platforms. Right now, the 360 and PS3 offer about 90% redundancy, and even among platforms as varied as the iPhone, Wiiware, PSN/XBLA, the DS, the PSP, and the PC / Steam, there's plenty of unnecessary overlap.

I'd much prefer to trim that down, but that's not the way the market is going. Games will continue to spread out to every available device and service.

That still does not mean people should cheerlead for one to fail, what are you a fan of Dennis One Console future Dyack :lol

I now have all 3 consoles and each one offers something different, despite the overlap of the PS3 and 360 in games they are still very different (XBL is worlds apart from PSN, while Blu-Ray is unmatched vs DVD on the 360)

pharmboy044 said:
360 has a supposed 6 million console advantage in the US and yet it barely outsells the PS3 version of Madden and Batman. I can't wait for the NPD numbers for the upcoming months.
:lol

edit: Ah hahahahahahahahahaha:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

edit edit im lol@U

Mr.Potato Head said:
:lol

edit: Ah hahahahahahahahahaha:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

edit edit im lol@U

Wow what a bump, you are one witty poster.

markatisu said:
I now have all 3 consoles and each one offers something different, despite the overlap of the PS3 and 360 in games they are still very different (XBL is worlds apart from PSN, while Blu-Ray is unmatched vs DVD on the 360)

They are still to similar to me. Next gen if consoles are that similar i don't think i will be getting them all, at least not until they drop drastically in price. I just can't justify spending anywhere between $300 and $600 to play a couple of games not on the other consoles.

This doesn't mean i am cheer leading one to fail and i don't want a one console future but i would like to see a bit more diversity.

This is why i don't understand the hate for the wii. Nintendo actually gave us something different instead of just having 3 near identical consoles.

freddy

Banned
The 360 has been crossed off my list forever due to Microsofts handling of console errors early on but there is no way I could see myself buying both regardless. They both have good exclusives but those exclusives are so similar in style and content in the games that matter so far that there's nothing much to differentiate them.

The perfect 360/PS3 type machine for me is the PC and I don't see that changing any time soon. Plus being a fan of RTS games the choice is easy. Add the Wii and DS to that and all my gaming needs are being met and more.

freddy said:
The perfect 360/PS3 type machine for me is the PC and I don't see that changing any time soon. Plus being a fan of RTS games the choice is easy. Add the Wii and DS to that and all my gaming needs are being met and more.

I have been leaning this way a bit as well. RTS is probably my favorite genre so naturally i am always going to want to have a decent PC.

Don't get me wrong i still like what i have for PS3 and 360 but i think it's just to expensive to get both. I regret not waiting to get one of them once they got really cheap.

markatisu said:
That still does not mean people should cheerlead for one to fail, what are you a fan of Dennis One Console future Dyack :lol

The PS3 and 360 are similar enough to the PC that I don't have to bother with either of them. I think that's saying something.

Brofist

DeaconKnowledge said:
The PS3 and 360 are similar enough to the PC that I don't have to bother with either of them. I think that's saying something.

And the PC also plays Wii games better than the actual Wii. So PC only FTW?

kpop100 said:
And a high end uber PC also plays a small minority of Wii games better than the actual Wii. So PC only FTW?
fixed.

and no.

and i probably spend more time messing about with Dolphin than most anyone on gaf.

and still no.

kpop100 said:
And the PC also plays Wii games better than the actual Wii. So PC only FTW?
I dont kinow about you but i sure couldnt be content with just using a pc for gaming..dont get me wrong, i love pc gaming just as much as the next guy but there are far too many games on wii, ps3 and 360 that dont make it to the pc that i MUST play..one reason why i own a pc, wii, 360 and ps3 lol..sucks having to buy all these damn consoles but hey..gaming is a hobby if mine

gkryhewy

markatisu said:

When you're reaching for distinctions such as a subtly different online experience or video playback better left to a standalone, that really says something about the degree of overlap between the two platforms.

beast786

gkrykewy said:
When you're reaching for distinctions such as a subtly different online experience or video playback better left to a standalone, that really says something about the degree of overlap between the two platforms.

I am a PC gamer, How in the world can you say that. Uncharted , Rachet, God of war, Grand turismo, LittleBigPlanet , MGS4 are one of my best gaming experiences and Non on PC. PC has its place but no way it replaces consoles (360,PS3,wii) if you think they do you are lying to yourself. FACT

Tannhauser

Neo Member
gkrykewy said:
Why do you say that?
beast786 said:
I am a PC gamer, How in the world can you say that. Uncharted , Rachet, God of war, Grand turismo, LittleBigPlanet , MGS4 are one of my best gaming experiences and Non on PC. PC has its place but no way it replaces consoles (360,PS3,wii) if you think they do you are lying to yourself. FACT
I agree. There are enough console exclusive games that I enjoy to justify owning one, and I genuinely think that applies to millions of people.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
beast786 said:
Read back through the comment you replied to and locate where he mentions the PC.

gkryhewy

Tannhauser said:
Why do you say that?

I don't mean in terms of functionality, since by all accounts the PS3 is a great BR player. I just meant it as a differentiating factor to justify owning both HD consoles, since BR is now an established video format such that solid standalone players are significantly cheaper than a PS3 and widely available (and come with remotes, fit in with living room home theaters, etc). At some point, the ability for PS2 to play DVDs out of the box ceased to be a differentiating factor from Xbox and Gamecube, in other words.

poppabk said:
Read back through the comment you replied to and locate where he mentions the PC.

Guy with killzone avatar gets flustered after seeing TWO posts that (to him) peripherally denigrate the differentiating value of PS3 exclusives such as killzone, and he quotes the wrong one in his huff.

Tannhauser

Neo Member
I see your point, but obviously that is only if you take Blu-ray playback on its own and ignore (primarily) the exclusive games that either console offers, which I'd disagree with as I feel that they can be worth owning a console for. Perhaps not for me personally, as it's impractical to own two consoles (no matter how different) but I'm sure for fans of big exclusive gaming franchises (of which there is not a small number) it applies. E.g. a fan of Halo/Gears of War and Metal Gear Solid/Gran Turismo can justify fairly easily their dual ownership.

beast786

gkrykewy said:
I don't mean in terms of functionality, since by all accounts the PS3 is a great BR player. I just meant it as a differentiating factor to justify owning both HD consoles, since BR is now an established video format such that solid standalone players are significantly cheaper than a PS3 and widely available (and come with remotes, fit in with living room home theaters, etc). At some point, the ability for PS2 to play DVDs out of the box ceased to be a differentiating factor from Xbox and Gamecube, in other words.

Guy with killzone avatar gets flustered after seeing TWO posts that (to him) peripherally denigrate the differentiating value of PS3 exclusives such as killzone, and he quotes the wrong one in his huff.

Funny i didnt even mention Killzone. So yes add killzone to the list. But the fact that my avatar bothers you so much :lol

beast786

John Harker said:
When 1080p streaming launches on Xbox soon will put an end to this silly Blu Ray debate!

Really?

So you think the sound /video quality of watching Planet Eart is going to be same via stream/bluray :lol

Man im soooooo itch'n to see how much of a boost the new slim got with the new design and price drop..it should be rock solid i believe. Honestly..as much as a 360 freak as i am lol..i reallly want to see the ps3 pick up major momentum so we can start too see many more rock'n 'built from ground up" ps3 exclusive games...i seriously think we are not seeing the full potential of the ps3 hardware quite yet because of weak sales.

markatisu

Mr.Potato Head said:
.i seriously think we are not seeing the full potential of the ps3 hardware quite yet because of weak sales.

We are not seeing the full potential of the PS3 because its cheaper to make games for the 360 and port them to the PS3 and PC to make much more money.

markatisu said:
We are not seeing the full potential of the PS3 because its cheaper to make games for the 360 and port them to the PS3 and PC to make much more money.
well yeah but if things started to shift a bit..we'd see "more" investment into ps3 exclusives...right?

beast786 said:
Really?

So you think the sound /video quality of watching Planet Eart is going to be same via stream/bluray :lol

As long as they encode into xvid server-side, streaming shouldn't be an issue. File size is small enough and at Quantization 3.0 it looks nearly indistinguishable from a lossless rip.

Mr.Potato Head said:
well yeah but if things started to shift a bit..we'd see "more" investment into ps3 exclusives...right?
...Not really, no. The HD business model is so fundamentally borked over that most publishers are going to go multiplatform regardless simply because they can sell to more people.

Put simply, they need all the revenue they can get.

Edit: While we're at it, is English your first language?

Pureauthor said:
...Not really, no. The HD business model is so fundamentally borked over that most publishers are going to go multiplatform regardless simply because they can sell to more people.

..no im from spain but in school in US and plan on staying now lol and yeah i understand your point about ps3..it makes sense.

Edit. why are you asking if english is my first language? For the ... or the contraction i used for we'd? just wondering :) ..by the way, i know my spelling is not great yet but is it that bad? hehe

OK, I've been mostly out of GAF loop for a few weeks now because of work but I just saw on my local news that the Wii is dropping to $199.99 according to leaked ads from a couple different retailers. I'm assuming this has been discussed to death already?

Mr.Potato Head said:
Edit. why are you asking if english is my first language? For the ... or the contraction i used for we'd? just wondering :) ..by the way, i know my spelling is not great yet but is it that bad? hehe

Well, for one thing, your punctuation is really, really bad.

And for another, you use several terms that most native english speakers would raise their eyebrows at. Like 'itch'n' and 'rock'n', for instance.

You're can be understood, but it's kinda jarring.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
DeaconKnowledge said:

I think it's saying you don't like/care enough about all the PS3 exclusives MGS4, Uncharted, Little Big Planet etc. etc.

Pureauthor said:

And for another, you use several terms that most native english speakers would raise their eyebrows at. Like 'itch'n' and 'rock'n', for instance.

oh yeah, i understand you now, thanks for the assessment, im still learning to correct myself and be more "proper" but what can i say..on message boards, i dont take as much time to correct myself as i do when its for a test or my job. Im sure its alot easier for you guys as i have only been learning the english language for 5 years now.

beast786 said:
I am a PC gamer, How in the world can you say that.

Because it's, er, true? 360 and PS3 overlap with one another far more than similar platforms ever did in previous generations, and both similarly overlap with the PC far more than previous consoles did -- a natural evolution of several different trends in the industry (Japanese developers moving more towards cross-platform development, FPSes becoming a more prominent console genre, consoles taking on more PC-like architecture, HD dev costs getting so high that spreading out is the only way to recoup them) coming together.

While there are certainly exclusives on both PS3 and 360 (it's easier for me to remember the PS3 ones since people are so insistent on repeating them like a mantra around here) they represent a fairly small portion of both systems' libraries and represent almost no genres which do not have similarly major entries on the other system and/or PC. Any one of the two systems can easily stand in for the other without any really significant loss of library diversity or size, and the PC can easily allow someone to play the majority of worthwhile games coming to either.

Oh, shit, well, if it's a FACT I guess I was wrong then.

Mrbob

I think it's saying you don't like/care enough about all the PS3 exclusives MGS4, Uncharted, Little Big Planet etc. etc.

Yeah it was a dumb comment on his part.

Both systems have enough exclusives to seperate themselves from the PC. I would argue PS3 has more though, especially with the massive sony output. Between retail and digital, Sony is arguably the best broad range developer/publisher this industry currently has. Tell me of another developer/publisher who can output God of War and Gran Turismo and Flower and Little Big Planet and Motorstorm and MLB The Show (plus many more) at the same time.

If the only factor is sales, then I guess the PS3 currently loses. If you like playing a wide range of different gaming experiences, the PS3 is increasingly becoming the system to beat.

pswii60

Pureauthor said:

English.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Pureauthor said:

I hear people parrot that phrase all the time but what does that even mean? The 80-20 rule is evident on every platform.

pswii60 said:

And yet you missed the far more obvious typo. Tsk.

I hear people parrot that phrase all the time but what does that even mean? The 80-20 rule is evident on every platform.

Put simply - development costs are outstripping the returns. It's gotten to the point where a single significant bomb for a 'blockbuster' can seriously damage a company. Take Bionic Commando.

This means that developers will (and to an extent, must) find every possible revenue source and milk it dry. And that includes multiplatform.

Also, 80/20 rule in relation to what?

Mrbob said:
Yeah it was a dumb comment on his part.

Both systems have enough exclusives to seperate themselves from the PC. I would argue PS3 has more though, especially with the massive sony output. Between retail and digital, Sony is arguably the best broad range developer/publisher this industry currently has. Tell me of another developer/publisher who can output God of War and Gran Turismo and Flower and Little Big Planet and Motorstorm and MLB The Show (plus many more) at the same time.

If the only factor is sales, then I guess the PS3 currently loses. If you like playing a wide range of different gaming experiences, the PS3 is increasingly becoming the system to beat.
great point, hey i love your avatar, im a bears fan too, what happend to cutler last week? Man i was sorta startled by his start. I remember when i lived in Spain watching NFL on tv wishing i was at one of the games, now im actually gonna see the game at Soldier Field in a month..it will be my first NFL game i ever seen live at the stadium!..cant wait!!

Pureauthor said:
And yet you missed the far more obvious typo. Tsk.

Put simply - development costs are outstripping the returns. It's gotten to the point where a single significant bomb for a 'blockbuster' can seriously damage a company. Take Bionic Commando.

This means that developers will (and to an extent, must) find every possible revenue source and milk it dry. And that includes multiplatform.

Also, 80/20 rule in relation to what?

Bad business is bad for a company? How is this new?

Woodsy

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:
great point, hey i love your avatar, im a bears fan too, what happend to cutler last week? Man i was sorta startled by his start. I remember when i lived in Spain watching NFL on tv wishing i was at one of the games, now im actually gonna see the game at Soldier Field in a month..it will be my first NFL game i ever seen live at the stadium!..cant wait!!

He was 17-20 as a starter in Denver under a much better coach than Lovie - Cuter is Grossman is Cutler.

Littleberu said:
Bad business is bad for a company? How is this new?

I'm not quite sure what you refer to by 'bad business', but in my view the model that large portions of the industry have been driving at ever since someone got it into their heads that graphics actually matter is a broken one that is, in the long run, unsustainable.

So, yeah, 'bad business'.

Woodsy said:
He was 17-20 as a starter in Denver under a much better coach than Lovie - Cuter is Grossman is Cutler.
lol i didnt know that honestly, but cutler has to be better then Orton or Grossman in just about all ways..right? Atleast thats what i feel... By the way it was pretty sad seeing Urlacher go down for the season so quick, man this guys has injury after injury it seems :(

jetjevons said:

Well yeah, it says that too. I don't care about them, at least not enough to buy a PS3. Sony made that decision even easier by pricing the damn thing at 600 dollars at launch.

That's the thing. Yeah the PC doesn't have Crackdown, or Gran Turismo, or X and Y PS3/360 exclusive game. What the PC DOES have though, is a plethora of other games that appear on both systems, which means to me their libraries are only as good as their exclusives, exclusives that largely don't interest me.

It's funny though that you think the average gamer HAS to want these PS3 exclusives though. The PS3 running in last must be blowing your minds.

Top Bottom