• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2013 [Up2: Tons of Nintendo Software]

Yes people have some crazy spin going right now to think the hardware sales right now are normal and indicative of a new console gen.

Right now 360 and PS3 should be selling like crazy regardless of a new console gen starting soon. That would be a normal console transition.

Yes, exactly. Re-posting because it got lost in the shuffle a few pages back:

In the August prior to the 360 launch, the PS2 sold 252k, the Xbox sold 136k, and the all-but-abandoned Gamecube sold 49k.

In the August a year later - 360 already out, and PS3 and Wii on the way - the PS2 sold 262k, the Gamecube sold 41k, and the Xbox had already been pulled from the market.

The next August - all 3 new systems already on sale - the PS2 sold 202k. And it did better than 96k in August for two more years.

96k is shit. It's not the hype for new systems killing sales. It's the age and price of the old ones. The new consoles should've been here 2 years ago, and the current ones should be <$100.

antonz

Splinter Cell itself is a bomba. Yes morons in the industry will use it to judge the Wii U but doesn't change the fact the game on all platforms bombed and the franchise itself is more or less being run into the ground.

Its sales across all 4 platforms is lucky to be in the 200-250k range.

Anyone else get that sinking feeling that the early roaring success of nextgen platforms will be followed by less than stellar sales? :/

Infamous Second Son and Titanfall should keep them from plummeting as hard as the WiiU did after Christmas. But I don't expect rip-roaring numbers in most of 2014--not when there simply won't be much to play and the current-gen consoles will still be a major factor next year.

But that's the best you can expect when you don't have another Wii or PS2 on your hands.

$100 million down the drain for Disney for sure, crazy amount of money to push into this IP so late in a console life cycle.

Dat Lone Ranger curse.

Ah... I just have never seen a pr response from sony in regards to the npd's, like ms.

I thought they did one every month, too. If they've skipped months, I didn't notice. But they only cite actual figures when they're good. Otherwise it's just "strong" and "momentum" and such.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
$100 million down the drain for Disney for sure, crazy amount of money to push into this IP so late in a console life cycle.

Dat Lone Ranger curse.

Skylanders sold 100k in its first month.

They have barely supported the thing at launch, pretty much all of their big IPs will be coming out down the road.

Disney Infinity is #3 with ~300k sales. Pikmin 3 is at #10, is ~180k likely? I don't really know, just seems that the difference between #3 and #10 would be greater.
I probably don't remember correctly, but LCU did around 120K, right? Between that and maybe 140 seems in the realm of possibility.

Road

In the August prior to the 360 launch, the PS2 sold 252k, the Xbox sold 136k, and the all-but-abandoned Gamecube sold 49k.

In the August a year later - 360 already out, and PS3 and Wii on the way - the PS2 sold 262k, the Gamecube sold 41k, and the Xbox had already been pulled from the market.

The next August - all 3 new systems already on sale - the PS2 sold 202k. And it did better than 96k in August for two more years.

96k is shit. It's not the hype for new systems killing sales. It's the age and price of the old ones. The new consoles should've been here 2 years ago, and the current ones should be <$100.

It's not an easy comparison:

In August 2006 PS2 was nearly 6 years old had sold only 34.5 million units.
In August 2013 the Xbox 360 is nearly 8 years old and has sold 39.5 million units. (not to mention price)

It's really impossible to draw any certain conclusion about what current console sales mean for next-gen.

Edit: Just realized you're comparing it to PS2 in 2005. Makes it even worse. =P

1. look at the sales in 2011 to compare to a 2005 market as far as time on market for consoles is concerned
2. There is no ps2 this gen the market is more split

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Dat Lone Ranger curse.

This is a pretty standard launch for a game like this judging by Skylanders.

As toys, they sell steadily (though often off the charts) except during the holiday.

ascii42

8 years, man.

The PS2 sold 144,000 in August of 2008. That's with its successor having been on the market for nearly 2 years, and the 360 having been out for nearly 3 years.

Hell, it still sold over 100k in August 2009!

edit: But as people have noted the market is more split.

Mory Dunz

This.

-MB-

Looks like a lot of people are saving for the next gen consoles.

The people who gonna go out and buy a system at launch, are the kind that already had a ps3/360 for years ( and I assume a majority of those got either close to their respective launches as well). Obviously they aren't going to buy current gen systems now.

antonz

As toys, they sell steadily (though often off the charts) except during the holiday.

Disney is in this for the long haul for sure. They will have their exclusive packs etc that will drive numbers. You can see how many people are excited over Apprentice Mickey and Disney knows it and will keep stuff like that coming.

Cess007

The PS2 sold 144,000 in August of 2008. That's with its successor having been on the market for nearly 2 years, and the 360 having been out for nearly 3 years.

Hell, it still sold over 100k in August 2009!

I don't think that neither 360 or the PS3 are (or have the dominance) what the PS2 was; nor they have their kind of library. Also, the PS2 wasn't like $150 or $99 at that point?

This is hardly a normal console transition, though. The PS2 was a monster, and the PS3 had a horrific launch. Why else would Sony have been trumpeting those sales in the wake of the Wii and 360? Meanwhile, the Xbox was only on the market for 4 years and the Gamecube for 5. Plus the Xbox and PS2 were WAY cheaper by the time their successors came out.

It's not an apples to apples comparison at all. The current gen has been collecting dust in a way that the last gen consoles didn't, and there are no $100-$150 HD twin models out. Shitty numbers were inevitable IMO.

Dlacy13g

Well Sony probably wont price drop anytime soon given they are bringing out the 12GB PS3 for $199 to the U.S., a price drop to other sku's would end up competing with themselves as much as it would with the competition.

I think the 360 is prime for price drop but MS seems so very unwilling to do that. So its hard to say, but a $50 holiday price drop would make sense for them. Those looking to buy a 360 at this point are not likely to be also looking at the Xbox One as an option.

WiiU I believe had a price drop already...but if they didn't...they need one as they are going to quickly become the more expensive current gen console and the vastly under powered next gen console...

shandy706

How many years was that into the PS2's life.

Did you consider that?

It's really impossible to draw any certain conclusion about what current console sales mean for next-gen.

That's not what I'm saying, I'm not predicting anything. I'm saying that people are definitely not passing on current consoles with the intent to buy the new ones.

I realize it's a fast-and-dirty bit of data, with plenty of room for error, but that one thing I can say with absolute certainty. Sales of current consoles are bad for other reasons, not that one.

ascii42

I don't think that neither 360 or the PS3 are (or have the dominance) that the PS2 was; nor they have their kind of library. Also, the PS2 wasn't like $150 or $99 at that point?

Yeah. PS2 dropped to $99 in 2009, prior to that it had been $129 for a couple years I think.

$200-$300 for current gen systems is insane. How are base models NOT $99 after 7-8 years? I know PS2 didn't hit $99 till 2009 but that was a totally different beast.

I wish we can get a breakdown on which SKUs are actually selling.

B.O.O.M

This is hardly a normal console transition, though. The PS2 was a monster, and the PS3 had a horrific launch. Why else would Sony have been trumpeting those sales in the wake of the Wii and 360? Meanwhile, the Xbox was only on the market for 4 years and the Gamecube for 5. Plus the Xbox and PS2 were WAY cheaper by the time their successors came out.

It's not an apples to apples comparison at all. The current gen has been collecting dust in a way that the last gen consoles didn't, and there are no $100-$150 HD twin models out. Shitty numbers were inevitable IMO.

Yep it's not a black-white situation to do a direct comparison of. PS3/360 regular models needed to be $199 'last' holiday season

That's exactly my point, sorry if I was unclear. This gen has gone on too long, with prices too high.

But Skylanders didn't get the initial up front investment like Infinity had. Those sales aren't too bad for your average game...but Infinity is like the 2nd most expensive videogame ever made (though I think GTAV just kicked it down a spot or so).

jwhit28

I expect PS4 and XB1 to have huge launches, but I hope the success is sustained. I have a weird feeling we will be hearing bad news sales wise the whole next generation.

Branduil

The issue is that just releasing new consoles isn't going to solve the problem of no currently-supported consoles in the mass-market price range.

Top Bottom