• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

Banned
Road said:
Obligatory Japan + US, Jan + Feb:

WII: 940k = 166k + 774k
360: 938k = 22k + 916k
PS3: 911k = 241k + 670k

Japan + US, 2010

360: 6969061
PS3: 5843825

Holiday in the US is where the 360 increases its lead.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I bought 4 PS2s because they kept breaking also but sure that's the only reason PS2 did so well last generation.

My 360 broke so I bought a PS3 slim (coming bundled with a 46" TV didn't hurt either). I think it's silly to suggest that 360 sales are so high because people are replacing their old consoles. If anything, I would think that would give people a reason and an opportunity to buy the PS3 because they're tired of their 360s breaking.

Basically I think it could be a wash either way. Any increase of 360 sales may be offset by people switching to PS3s instead.

Stoffinator

wienke said:
I bought 4 PS2s because they kept breaking also but sure that's the only reason PS2 did so well last generation.

My 360 broke so I bought a PS3 slim (coming bundled with a 46" TV didn't hurt either). I think it's silly to suggest that 360 sales are so high because people are replacing their old consoles. If anything, I would think that would give people a reason and an opportunity to buy the PS3 because they're tired of their 360s breaking.

Basically I think it could be a wash either way. Any increase of 360 sales may be offset by people switching to PS3s instead.

Sadly many would not go to the other side and keep buying the system that keeps breaking on them. I know many who have done this since they got their system on launch day.

Stephen Colbert said:
Once we have updated figures, we can sort this out. But so far the gap has continuously narrowed in every release of wodwide numbers. So any idiotic claims people posted here that the PS3 is getting destroyed are baseless. The two are pretty much neck and neck worldwide.

This thread isn't about worldwide numbers, it's about NPD numbers. According to NPD the PS3 is 10 million behind the 360 and has been outsold every month for the last 13 months so there is no way, they could ever catch up. This gen is set.

And the battle for second place is worthless anyway. As been said a million times over, the "winner" isn't going to be the company with the most units sold. That is the measurement of fanboys only. We are almost 6 years into this gen, who is second hasn't matted for years now.

Erebus

wienke said:

Not if they already had tons of 360 games.

see5harp

Stoffinator said:
Sadly many would not go to the other side and keep buying the system that keeps breaking on them. I know many who have done this since they got their system on launch day.

When you are thousands deep in your game collection it's hard to throw it all away over a relatively small $150 repair price or even a new console at $399.99.

doicare

V_Arnold said:
No, the gap has been 6-4 million for quite some time now.
Watchtower said:
Fact is over the past year the gap has kind of stagnated
No and more no. The only reliable worldwide sales figures are Sony's and Microsoft's own shipment figures and they both show that for all but one year in 2008 when it was a virtual tie the ps3 has been consistantly catching up to the 360 worldwide.

ps3 - calendar year sales / ltd calendar year sales
2005 - not launched yet
2006 - 1.7m / 1.7m
2007 - 8.7m / 10.4m
2008 - 10.7m / 21.1m
2009 - 12.4m / 33.5m
2010 - 14.4m / 47.9m

360 - calendar year sales / ltd calendar year sales
2005 - 1.5m / 1.5m
2006 - 8.9m / 10.4m
2007 - 7.3m / 17.7m
2008 - 10.8m / 28.5m
2009 - 10.2m / 38.7m
2010 - 12.1m / 50.8m

360's ltd lead on the ps3
2005 - 1.5m
2006 - 8.7m
2007 - 7.3m
2008 - 7.4m
2009 - 5.2m
2010 - 2.9m

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah I can see if you're a game collector of if you prefer the 360 exclusives that you wouldn't switch to a PS3. I would also say that most people who buy a console don't necessarily collect games. You can get into other issues like controller preference or brand familiarity but there is still an opportunity to switch brands when one breaks.

Also when a 360 breaks and is replaced, you're not actually increasing the install base. When someone switches to Sony however, Sony's install base increases. Basically the hardware failures don't benefit Microsoft at all unless they're making a killer profit on the consoles.

So because of all that, the best metric for how well a console is doing still depends on overall software sales, which, Microsoft is still winning to the best of my knowledge.

Opiate said:
It's not sudden, this discussion has a long history here at GAF. First, I am not suggesting that this argument is completely without merit: obviously the RRoD is/was a serious issue affecting millions of users. What I would say is this:

1) The PS3 is also not very reliable. Not 360-failure levels, but still well below historical standards for console hardware.

2) Some 360 users likely bought Wiis, PS3s, PCs, or some other hardware.

3) If the 360 is as massively failing as you suggest, let's consider what this means for 360 software. The 360 already has an incredible attach rate. If we assume that, say, 15-25% of these are repeat customers (Numbers I'm guessing at based on your implication that failure rates are massive), what does that do the attach rate? The already fantastic attach rate becomes way better than any other attach rate in history. And lastly,

The most important reason) While some people might want to genuinely discuss the quantitative value of the RRoD, many people use the issue as a wedge, to imply first that the 360 hardware sucks, while also suggesting that maybe-the-PS3-has-a-better-install-base at the same time. It's a fanboy argument, rather than an analytical one.

The quality of argumentation drops rapidly when this discussion comes up, so drop it.

I only meant that it may account for a portion of the 4% of the difference in worldwide figures between the consoles and that they're pretty much neck and neck worldwide.

Those are all fair points. I will drop the point.

[Nintex] said:
They added a time limit to De Blob?

...did they try to sabotage it on purpose?
Yes there is a time limit. It's pretty strict and makes the game very frustrating.

I have no idea why they did it. Probably to try to shoehorn some challenge into it, which I doubt anyone asked for.

KingDizzi

Banned
The Black Ops numbers are just amazing, I'm in awe at those figures. The second biggest shooter which comes to mind is Halo Reach and chances are that the PS3 version of Black Ops has outsold the game. That is without adding PC and 360 sales, Black Ops is so above any other HD franchise it's beyond crazy. Remains to be seen how the next GTA game goes because right now Black Ops is another league, it's well past GTA at this point.

doicare said:
No and more no. The only reliable worldwide sales figures are Sony's and Microsoft's own shipment figures and they both show that for all but one year in 2008 when it was a virtual tie the ps3 has been consistantly catching up to the 360 worldwide.

2005 - not launched yet
2006 - 1.7m / 1.7m
2007 - 8.7m / 10.4m
2008 - 10.7m / 21.1m
2009 - 12.4m / 33.5m
2010 - 14.4m / 47.9m

2005 - 1.5m / 1.5m
2006 - 8.9m / 10.4m
2007 - 7.3m / 17.7m
2008 - 10.8m / 28.5m
2009 - 10.2m / 38.7m
2010 - 12.1m / 50.8m

2005 - 1.5m
2006 - 8.7m
2007 - 7.3m
2008 - 7.4m
2009 - 5.2m
2010 - 2.9m
man, seeing these numbers....time sure does fly.

-Pyromaniac- said:
man, seeing these numbers....time sure does fly.

Makes you realize just how incredibly far we are into the generation. Even the best selling system of all time had it's sequel machine announced by this time.

Verendus

Banned
wienke said:
Yeah I can see if you're a game collector of if you prefer the 360 exclusives that you wouldn't switch to a PS3. I would also say that most people who buy a console don't necessarily collect games. You can get into other issues like controller preference or brand familiarity but there is still an opportunity to switch brands when one breaks.

Also when a 360 breaks and is replaced, you're not actually increasing the install base. When someone switches to Sony however, Sony's install base increases. Basically the hardware failures don't benefit Microsoft at all unless they're making a killer profit on the consoles.

So because of all that, the best metric for how well a console is doing still depends on overall software sales, which, Microsoft is still winning to the best of my knowledge.
PS3 outsold 360 last fiscal year in terms of software.

PS3 - 115.6 million
360 - 103.1 million

It will be interesting to see how both consoles did for this fiscal year. Last I remember, it's pretty close taking into account data from US, Japan, UK, Spain, France and Germany. As it stands, both platforms are really healthy.

Kam said:

PS3 - 115.6 million
360 - 103.1 million

It will be interesting to see how both consoles did for this fiscal year. Last I remember, it's pretty close taking into account data from US, Japan, UK, Spain, France and Germany. As it stands, both platforms are really healthy.

Exactly. Overall software attach rates are also very healthy on both consoles, not just hardware.

Kam said:

PS3 - 115.6 million
360 - 103.1 million

Where are you getting 360 software numbers?

Sydle

Kam said:

PS3 - 115.6 million
360 - 103.1 million

Haven't seen these figures before. Link?

Kam said:

I don't know about really healthy on the PS3 side. Sony recently announced that PSN loses money for them. Considering PS3 losses ate through all the profit of PS1 and 2, and they make a very small margin on the hardware compared to 360, and actually lose money on PSN (imagine how much MS makes in contrast with Live subs), and lukewarm sales of big budget exclusives, and now losing ground once again to 360 WW, not to mention Move absolutely getting spanked by Kinect, I don't think it's as rosy as some people think.

Arpharmd B said:
I don't know about really healthy on the PS3 side. Sony recently announced that PSN loses money for them. Considering PS3 losses ate through all the profit of PS1 and 2, and they make a very small margin on the hardware compared to 360, and actually lose money on PSN (imagine how much MS makes in contrast with Live subs), and lukewarm sales of big budget exclusives, and now losing ground once again to 360 WW, not to mention Move absolutely getting spanked by Kinect, I don't think it's as rosy as some people think.

This is what people don't pay attention to when thinking of worldwide user base numbers after 6 years.

nib95

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
For a clue on how the PS3 does "so well" globally compared to lacklustre sales in North America, the best place to look is not with Western European sales (although the PS3 does better there than in North America and generally outsells 360 although not always) or Japanese sales (where the PS3 naturally has a several million unit lead), it's elsewhere. Look at the PS2. Yes, it sold well everywhere, but what really took it from 100 million or so globally to 150 million is Eastern Europe and other EMEA territories.

Sony has always had better global distribution than Nintendo and now Microsoft. This is partially deliberate on Microsoft's part--they've favoured a slow expansion of the Xbox to smaller territories. Some countries have only got Xbox Live over the last year or two, others still don't have it--but it's partially a structural advantage Sony has had for some time.

Eastern Europe and other EMEA territories have an advantage as well, since they're considered more price sensitive (or "less well off", I guess. I don't mean any offence) and as such their sales are more likely to continue doing well after generational decline has set in in the major territories. I'm not sure that we really effectively see this in quarterly numbers either precisely because bundling all EMEA numbers together makes it hard to distinguish the constituent territories in a way that bundling Korea into "Asia" or Canada/Mexico into "North America" doesn't.

China remains elusive for all three manufacturers and even Korea has been a relatively recent focus for them. If any manufacturer could successfully expand into China, it'd easily tilt the worldwide battleground. Here WoW is a good comparison; WoW's subscription base is impressive, sure, but a full 50% of it is in China and that's what makes it tower over other Western MMOs... having access to that market. I suspect China and other Asian territories also make up the bulk of the user numbers for other online staples like League of Legends.

Good post. Agree on the points made.

Verendus

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
Yet software sales are increasing, hardware continues to do fine, they're no longer bleeding money, and they're expecting to increase profitability moving forward. I'd say that's healthy considering the PS3's track record. No one is painting a rosy picture. A rosy picture for Sony would be what was happening last generation. But it's ignorant to assume they're not in a good position right now considering what the last few years did to them.

To me, in all honesty, it seems some posters here like to paint an all or nothing picture. Pretty stupid all things considered and shows a lack of analytical ability.

Sydle

Kam said:
Link

Their official data is released every quarter. You have individual threads made for them on GAF when that happens. Are you not aware of this?

I forget about them and I typically try not get wrapped up in Sales-Age GAF.

It will be interesting to see FY2010. I wouldn't be surprised to see 360 edge out the PS3 with Kinect, Halo Reach, Fable III, etc.

legend166

Neuromancer said:
Yes there is a time limit. It's pretty strict and makes the game very frustrating.

I have no idea why they did it. Probably to try to shoehorn some challenge into it, which I doubt anyone asked for.

de Blob 1 had a time limit.

And it's not restricting at all. I never even pay attention to it.

Verendus

Banned
Paco said:
I forget about them and I typically try not get wrapped up in Sales-Age GAF.

It will be interesting to see FY2010. I wouldn't be surprised to see 360 edge out the PS3 with Kinect, Halo Reach, Fable III, etc.
I don't blame you.

I agree on the second paragraph.

Shiggy

legend166 said:
de Blob 1 had a time limit.

And it's not restricting at all. I never even pay attention to it.

It was restricting if you wanted to paint everything - 100 %. But then you could still enter a cheat code for adding another 10 minutes.

Nonetheless, the game was repetitive and kind of boring, that's why I won't go for De Blob 2.

OldJadedGamer said:
This is what people don't pay attention to when thinking of worldwide user base numbers after 6 years.

Exactly.

It's like, all people care about is the installed base, when that is not what matters at this point. If Sony were to surpass 360, it wouldn't make any kind of difference what so ever. It would only matter to the Sony fanboys to brag about on the internet.

The damage is done. It has been set in stone for quite some time now. We are going on 6 years!

If you actually look at the 3 businesses, it's pretty clear who the winners and the losers are.

Goddamn, remember when all the "analysts" predicted that the PS3 would far and away be in first in sales, with the 360 behind it and the Wii in distant third?

Makes me wonder how much these "analysts" know about the industry.

legend166

Shiggy said:
It was restricting if you wanted to paint everything - 100 %. But then you could still enter a cheat code for adding another 10 minutes.

Nonetheless, the game was repetitive and kind of boring, that's why I won't go for De Blob 2.

The time limit in the second game does away once you complete all the main missions, so you can paint to your hearts content.

Arpharmd B said:
I'd tend to agree with this statement. Obviously, breaking out numbers - things look highly competitive and very, very close - which is nothing less than truth. However the general feeling about Sony remains the same - they're getting cock blocked on nearly every front whilst running on razor thin margins. It's not doom and gloom, Playstation/Sony isn't going anywhere - but losing this much ground, money and mind share within one generation is astounding.

Ultimately I believe the PS3 is going to be ahead worldwide by the end of this generation if for no other reason than Sony's persistence and support of the system - but that won't do anything to counter the notion of massive failure in terms of competition. Sony has done nothing right and at this point, are coasting on brand strength from the previous generations, something they will have to look long and hard at when releasing their next home console (and even NGP).

It's not all bad, they deliver some great games and sink money for free online play - not at all a bad thing for us gamers.

doicare said:

2005 - not launched yet
2006 - 1.7m / 1.7m
2007 - 8.7m / 10.4m
2008 - 10.7m / 21.1m
2009 - 12.4m / 33.5m
2010 - 14.4m / 47.9m

2005 - 1.5m / 1.5m
2006 - 8.9m / 10.4m
2007 - 7.3m / 17.7m
2008 - 10.8m / 28.5m
2009 - 10.2m / 38.7m
2010 - 12.1m / 50.8m

2005 - 1.5m
2006 - 8.7m
2007 - 7.3m
2008 - 7.4m
2009 - 5.2m
2010 - 2.9m

The numbers are correct (probably, I haven't checked), but if you rearrange the data in some other form (say, use the end of Sony's or Microsoft's fiscal year as a delimiter, instead of the end of a calendar year), you'll notice that 2008, which may seem like a year of stagnation, was in fact very turbulent.

In the second half of 2007 PS3 saw a price adjustment (two, in fact) which helped it gain a lot of ground on the 360. Microsoft also cut the price by $50, but Sony got rid of the 60 GB SKU and introduced the new 40 GB SKU at $399, effectively dropping the entry price barrier by $200 (because the launch 20 GB PS3 has always been very rare and I'm not even sure if the launch allocation has ever been restocked).

The gap has been shrinking (it went down to 4 or 5 million, it's hard to find the exact figures at this point) until the second half of 2008 when it started growing again, due to Xbox 360's price being cut to current levels (!). That continued into 2009, when Sony hit back with a Slim + price drop combo. The gap has been shrinking since then, with Xbox 360 S and Kinect helping Microsoft stop the deterioration - for now. Where it's going to go in the following months and years remains to be seen, but the point is, the gap hasn't been shrinking "consistently". It's been very dependent on price drops and introductions of new hardware revisions.

Kam said:
Yet software sales are increasing, hardware continues to do fine, they're no longer bleeding money, and they're expecting to increase profitability moving forward. I'd say that's healthy considering the PS3's track record. No one is painting a rosy picture. A rosy picture for Sony would be what was happening last generation. But it's ignorant to assume they're not in a good position right now considering what the last few years did to them.

To me, in all honesty, it seems some posters here like to paint an all or nothing picture. Pretty stupid all things considered and shows a lack of analytical ability.

I definitely do not view things in black and white. Yes, the PS3 business is MUCH better than it was, and yes they are finally seeing profitability. But the 360 business is much, much healthier for all the reasons I stated.

The people who see in black and white are those that can't see past the installed base.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Stumpokapow said:
China remains elusive for all three manufacturers and even Korea has been a relatively recent focus for them. If any manufacturer could successfully expand into China, it'd easily tilt the worldwide battleground. Here WoW is a good comparison; WoW's subscription base is impressive, sure, but a full 50% of it is in China and that's what makes it tower over other Western MMOs... having access to that market. I suspect China and other Asian territories also make up the bulk of the user numbers for other online staples like League of Legends.
Subscription plans when PS3 has enough MMOs a la mobile phones where the PS3 is included with one of the games

No the people that see in black and white or those that make bs statements like this.

Stripper13 said:
Sony has done nothing right and at this point, are coasting on brand strength from the previous generations, something they will have to look long and hard at when releasing their next home console (and even NGP).

It's not all bad, they deliver some great games and sink money for free online play - not at all a bad thing for us gamers.

Sony made some really stupid mistakes at the start of the gen, but since then they have done plenty of things right. From the ps3 slim to nourishing their first party studios, developing new aaa franchises and acquiring new ones like media molecule to winning the format war, it's ludicrous to say they did nothing right.

If anything I think it's Microsoft that is now making some cocky moves that risk alientating core gamers (largely dumping their first party studios, jacking up the price of live, not announcing much core exclusive content in the near future).

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Goddamn, remember when all the "analysts" predicted that the PS3 would far and away be in first in sales, with the 360 behind it and the Wii in distant third?

Makes me wonder how much these "analysts" know about the industry.

I thought it was predicted (in 2007/2008) that PS3 would surpass X360 sales in 2012? And further PS3 would lead software sales worldwide. I think PS3 is still on track to meet this prediction.

Cyborg

Dedication Through Light said:
I thought it was predicted (in 2007/2008) that PS3 would surpass X360 sales in 2012? And further PS3 would lead software sales worldwide. I think PS3 is still on track to meet this prediction.

True...
X360 is doing some great things in USA but in JP and EU the PS3 is realy strong! PS3 is doing a nice job, considering it launched almost a year after the X360.

The only problem is that the Japanese market isnt big as it was in the Gamecube/PSX/PS2 era.

Stephen Colbert said:
No the people that see in black and white or those that make bs statements like this.

Sony made some really stupid mistakes at the start of the gen, but since then they have done plenty of things right. From the ps3 slim to nourishing their first party studios, developing new aaa franchises and acquiring new ones like media molecule to winning the format war, it's ludicrous to say they did nothing right.

If anything I think it's Microsoft that is now making some cocky moves that risk alientating core gamers (largely dumping their first party studios, jacking up the price of live, not announcing much core exclusive content in the near future).
Well each to their own but I would hardly call the Slim a good step in the light of the mess of SKU's and removal of features. Just a less shitty one.

As for the first party studios - it's great that they support some deserving studios so much, but they've always done it and it just looks like a great step this generation because MS is so backwards on that element of the industry.

Verendus

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
I definitely do not view things in black and white. Yes, the PS3 business is MUCH better than it was, and yes they are finally seeing profitability. But the 360 business is much, much healthier for all the reasons I stated.

The people who see in black and white are those that can't see past the installed base.
You view them poorly, nonetheless.

The comment of mine that you were responding to stated both platforms are healthy. You contend that Sony's situation isn't as rosy as people paint it to be. I don't think saying it's in a healthy position today is saying things are all rosy. They're not "rosy" but they're certainly far from being bad either. They are in a good position finally. Microsoft doing much better is irrelevant to that point.

I don't remember stating one is more healthy than the other. But you certainly seem to take issue with me stating Sony is in a good position.

What matters is the company's position moving forward. Explain to me, with logic, how they are not in a healthy position? The facts are that that their software sales are good, their hardware sales are good, and they're expecting to increase profitability overall, whilst still sharing an almost equal market-share with Microsoft.

It's irrelevant, to the company's health today, that they've dropped so far since the PS2 days. That's done. The consequences of that are not changing. What matters is the position they're in today relative to the damage they've done to themselves. While it's pathetic how far they've fallen, they've managed to remain competitive regardless of their failings and moving forward can change things for the better. This is what matters when claiming the company is in a good position right now.

In all honesty, your responses to me make little sense. It just seems you had to point out that the 360 is doing much better and Sony is in a bad position. Yes. Thank you. I'm already aware of Microsoft doing very well, and I disagree that Sony is in a bad position for reasons already stated.

Dedication Through Light said:

With kinect increasing HW sales this might not happen.

Regardless predictions were made for the PS3 to overtake the 360 in all different periods. eventually one of those predictions was bound to be true.

Really surprised at how good the PS3 numbers are - part of me suspects that the jailbreak may have spurred a few extra sales. Or the walk-off from christmas, who knows. It's not like 360 which can directly attribute its growth to Kinect (since 2/3 sold are 4gb bundles).

Gorgon

Arpharmd B said:

I don't know the exact hardware numbers but

Total industry sales rose 3% to $1.36 billion, compared to $1.33 billion in February 2010. Sales of video game hardware rose 10% ($467 million vs. $426 million), while software dropped ($601 million vs. $634 million). Video game accessories continued to rise, thanks to Microsoft's Kinect and Sony's PlayStation Move products ($257 million vs. $210 million).

$257 vs $210 in sales doesn't look like the huge catastrophe that you're hinting at between Kinect and Move sales?

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-game-sales-get-a-boost-in-february-/1?csp=34

TheOddOne

Stephen Colbert said:
And lost all their profit from the two earlier gens.

Top Bottom