• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

ReBurn

Gold Member
Anyone else experience schadenfreude when reading NPD threads? I find the need of some people to cry "USA does not equal the world" fascinating. Don't know why.

doicare said:
Hahaha o my that was one of the funniest posts/rants i've ever read in an NPD thread thanks for that.
I'll hopefully see you in the Quarterly sales thread next month and also the one at the end of the year when the ps3 will have cut the 360's lead even further, it would be good to hear your perspective.

I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.

Killzone's sales aren't exactly the end of the world, but they definitally aren't up to their budget.

I liked the demo but I still thought the controls were sub-par, just a bit better then last time. I bought into the hype with the previous game, this time I'm picking it up on the cheap. Well that's my situation anyway.

Aselith

doicare said:
Hahaha o my that was one of the funniest posts/rants i've ever read in an NPD thread thanks for that.
I'll hopefully see you in the Quarterly sales thread next month and also the one at the end of the year when the ps3 will have cut the 360's lead even further, it would be good to hear your perspective.

Don't you have to sell more consoles than the other company to cut the lead?

Retrocide

doicare said:

Passing the Xbox360 in sales this late in the generation would be a Pyrrhic victory at best. At this point it should be about making a good profit. But don't take my word for it...

PlayStation software senior brand manager Scott McCarthy said:
So do we pass Xbox 360? At the moment, I think we're trying to just keep up with inventory and trying to move as many units as we can through the channel. It's also one of those things where, do we notice what Microsoft is doing? Obviously, they are our competition. But is it like we surpass Microsoft or we fail? No. Our goal is to be profitable and we're going to achieve that this year and do even better next year.

That's been Nintendo's position for years. We have a very aggressive plan this year. And when we're profitable we're happy. If we happen to close the gap with Microsoft in the meantime, then that's good too.
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/02/23/sony_passing_the_xbox_360_in_sales_not_so_important

If we are talking about the current situation as it stands the Xbox 360 has two additonal revenue streams that that is not as rebust on the PS3: Xbox Live, and Kinect. That could change in the future of course.

Retrocide said:
Passing the Xbox360 in sales this late in the generation would be a Pyrrhic victory at best. At this point it should be about making a good profit. But don't take my word for it...

And not only that but there's also a good chance it may never happen. Now that MS seems to have fixed their supply problems, there is actually a good chance that MS can outship them, even world wide given the current momentum the 360 has.

EagleEyes said:
This thread sure proves that there are still some bitter people as to how this gen has played out. I love the fact that worldwide numbers keep popping up in NPD threads yet it is never the other way around in the other sales threads. It goes to show that there quite a few people from other regions that absolutely hate the fact that the Xbox brand has been so successful this gen. It is very entertaining though that there are so many passionate people that care about what sales here in the states. I, for one, could not care less what sells in Japan or Europe because it doesn't affect this market in the least. I probably am not the only one to think this way and as a result the other sales threads don't get shit up like the NPD does on a monthly basis. Just my 2 cents.

I tend to stop reading the thread as much when posters from other regions start going off topic with worldwide numbers. The thread gets too easily derailed.

doicare

Watchtower said:
Sony's outselling it WW has everything to do with Japan and almost nothing to do with the rest of the world(same as 360 and the USA). There is an important fact you need to consider and I'm going to use your numbers to prove what little gap reduction the PS3 has actually achieved outside Japan over the past 4 years and how little that means when talking about "world wide".

Now simple math reveals this. 8.7 - 4.5(Japanese Gap) = 3.2 million units. Since according to you the current GAP is 2.9 million units, 3.2 million - 2.9million = 400k. So that means that according to your numbers, Sony made up a whopping 400k units outside of Japan this entire generation.

Like I said, the only difference has been Japan. That is it. The only market where the 360 is not relevant. The only reason Sony's made up anything since launch was because the 360 is completely freaking dead in Japan.

Now before you tell me, well that's not fair, why not take out the US also....let me just say this. The PS3 is relevant in the USA. It's consistently been outsold, but it still sold enough units to actually be considered respectful. The 360 is completely irrelevant in Japan. The USA isn't a case where the PS3 isn't even a competitor like it is with the 360 in Japan.
Unfortunately you have your numbers and your math confused.
At the end of 2010 in USA the ps3 had sold 15,462,196 and the 360 had sold 25,395,075.
In Japan the ltd of the ps3 was 6,087,489 and the 360 was 1,420,498.
So the combined USA+Japan ltd total for the two at the end of 2010 was:
ps3 - 21,549,685
360 - 26,815,573

Now at the end of 2010 the ps3 had shipped 47.9 million and the 360 50.9 million. Taking away the USA+Japanese numbers leaves:
ps3 26,350,315
360 24,084,427
Which is the rest of world sales+retail stock.

Even if you want to be extra generous and say the ps3 had an extra half a million ps3's in the retail chain compared to the 360 so lets say 900,000 vs 400,000 then that would mean that roughly for the rest of the world the ps3 has sold 25,450,315~ and the 360 sold 23,684,427~ which is a difference of at least 1,765,888~ million.

But the most important thing to remember which you haven't taken into account is the ps3 launched a year and a half later in Europe (unlike America and Japan) and even later then that in other parts of the world when compared to the 360. So despite the 360 having a year and a half head start in most of the rest of the world the ps3 has already caught up to and outsold the 360. The bottom line is Europe is very important to the ps3 and it is a significant part of the reason why it is catching up to the 360.
Aselith said:
Don't you have to sell more consoles than the other company to cut the lead?
I'm not sure i understand your point, worldwide the ps3 is selling more.

Even if tomorrow the PS3 suddenly sold 20 million units it would mean nothing for the plan heading toward the end of the generation. Any large product starting in the next year is likely to be the last big team, best people, game of the generation. A 2 year project starting today will bring us a release in 2013. Minds are made up and budgets have been signed off on.

After that last project it will be all systems go for PS4, Xbox 720 when the reset button is going to be pressed all over again. Sure, this gen will still see releases but the top tier people and money and hype will no longer be involved.

The japanese PS3 sales that will make WW go near par has no effect on anything besides Sony's own internal manufacturing numbers. It means nothing to North American, European, and even Japanese game developers. It doesn't even mean anything to the Uncharted, Killzone, and God of War Sony developers who don't see much for software sales in Japan.

Now it is just a question of who is first out the gate next time around. The biggest problem the big three have with one another is NOT making hardware that is much different than each other. If there is even a 20% power diff between consoles and a flinch in the marketing there isn't going to be a 60/40 split in support, there will be a 90/10 split.

The only way this is going to work is if the marketing loser is the higher powered console so porting is a simple cross dev, xbox 1 style.

doicare

Retrocide said:

If we are talking about the current situation as it stands the Xbox 360 has two additonal revenue streams that that is not as rebust on the PS3: Xbox Live, and Kinect. That could change in the future of course.
O sure i agree, the 360 is making more money and i don't see that changing anytime soon.

EagleEyes said:
It is very entertaining though that there are so many passionate people that care about what sales here in the states. I, for one, could not care less what sells in Japan or Europe because it doesn't affect this market in the least.

We aren't living in the 1920's anymore, it's a global economy, of course every market effects every other market.

doicare said:
O sure i agree, the 360 is making more money and i don't see that changing anytime soon.

What I find intresting is a lot of analysts( and SOE's Asia president himself) have said they do better in these territories due to the lack of(until now) of the ability to pirate the system.

Kusagari

It's going to be hard for PS3 to pass 360 if it keeps up it's current momentum in America. As long as the gap keeps widening there it might be enough to offset PS3 in Japan/Europe for the rest of this gen.

doicare said:
Unfortunately you have your numbers and your math confused.
At the end of 2010 in USA the ps3 had sold 15,462,196 and the 360 had sold 25,395,075.
In Japan the ltd of the ps3 was 6,087,489 and the 360 was 1,420,498.
So the combined USA+Japan ltd total for the two at the end of 2010 was:
ps3 - 21,549,685
360 - 26,815,573

Now at the end of 2010 the ps3 had shipped 47.9 million and the 360 50.9 million. Taking away the USA+Japanese numbers leaves:
ps3 26,350,315
360 24,084,427
Which is the rest of world sales+retail stock.

Even if you want to be extra generous and say the ps3 had an extra half a million ps3's in the retail chain compared to the 360 so lets say 900,000 vs 400,000 then that would mean that roughly for the rest of the world the ps3 has sold 25,450,315~ and the 360 sold 23,684,427~ which is a difference of at least 1,765,888~ million.

But the most important thing to remember which you haven't taken into account is the ps3 launched a year and a half later in Europe (unlike America and Japan) and even later then that in other parts of the world when compared to the 360. So despite the 360 having a year and a half head start in most of the rest of the world the ps3 has already caught up to and outsold the 360. The bottom line is Europe is very important to
the ps3 and it is a significant part of the reason why it is catching up to the 360.

LOL, you completely misunderstood me and basically did exactly what I said someone will probably do, but then I think shouldn't be done. The whole point of my post was looking at the combined WW sales of the two platforms, not counting Japan. You just took out both the USA and Japan out of the equation to show the PS3 outsold it in Europe and everywhere else. Yes I got that the PS3 outsold it in Europe. That was not the point.

Here, let me re-quote myself:

Now before you tell me, well that's not fair, why not take out the US also....let me just say this. The PS3 is relevant in the USA. It's consistently been outsold, but it still sold enough units to actually be considered respectful. The 360 is completely irrelevant in Japan. The USA isn't a case where the PS3 isn't even a competitor like it is with the 360 in Japan.

But anyway, if you want to break it down regionally, go ahead and look up the amount of units the PS3 sold in its first 2 months in Europe compared to the 360. During its launch window. The PS3 made up well over 1 million of the European/360 gap in its first 2 months of availability. Go ahead and subtract that out of the number you came up(1,765,888) with and you will see that since since around May 2007, it's basically done nothing in the grand scheme of things even in Europe.

Anyway, the point of my calculation was that outside of Japan, the only place where the 360 is totally irrelevant, the PS3 hasn't actually made up any significant gap, because while it may have outsold the 360 by a small amount in Europe, the 360 far outsold it in NA.

PS: My numbers are the same as yours. I'm doing a completely different calculation.

Watchtower said:
Anyway, the point of my calculation was that outside of Japan, the only place where the 360 is totally irrelevant, the PS3 hasn't actually made up any significant gap, because while it may have outsold the 360 by a small amount in Europe, the 360 far outsold it in NA.

Numbers point in the middle east it to be just as ill relevant if not more then Japan. Same with a bunch of eastern European countries too, suppose we should remove thoese from the list too.

4c5a5d0d.jpg

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Numbers point in the middle east it to be just as ill relevant if not more then Japan. Same with a bunch of eastern European countries too, suppose we should remove thoese from the list too.

4c5a5d0d.jpg

LOL. You guys are truly reaching. You expect to be taken seriously?

I think my local Wall Mart sells more consoles a year than whatever that chart is supposed to show.

Watchtower said:

I think my local Wall Mart sells more consoles a year than whatever that chart is supposed to show.

It shows a Pac-Man screaming until he turns purple

Rham

Banned
This thread has proven to me that their are far more Xbots than Playstation fans. I am absolutely convinced that some of you work at Microsoft. I mean, the amount of Kinect cheer-leading is astonishing. I am truly amazed at the sheer number of bots. I like how all of these Kinect cheerleaders act like their were so many more naysayers about Kinect than people saying it would do well. All of you guys have been far more vocal about Kinect than anybody else. And guys we get it, Kinect was a huge success, but enough is enough.

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.

Cels

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

4c5a5d0d.jpg

what's the context of this picture?

and i still don't get why people love talking about worldwide sales in an NPD thread

gdt

Rham said:
This thread has proven to me that their are far more Xbots than Playstation fans. I am absolutely convinced that some of you work at Microsoft. I mean, the amount of Kinect cheer-leading is astonishing. I am truly amazed at the sheer number of bots. I like how all of these Kinect cheerleaders act like their were so many more naysayers about Kinect than people saying it would do well. All of you guys have been far more vocal about Kinect than anybody else. And guys we get it, Kinect was a huge success, but enough is enough.

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.

Watchtower said:

Context of picture is middle east 2010 sales Taken from a lecture on middle east market and localization from GDC 2011.

Sorry, my point was just deciding to randomly exclude/ include things then talk on a global scale is confusing. . A lot of 360's strength in Europe comes from U.K. Let's exclude U.K. From Europe since it is so ill-regular or put U.K. and America together, then all of a sudden PS3 looks exceptionally strong in Europe.

Or you can go the ultimate route and just rule-out pretty much any non-developed country because as i said before even SOE exces have admitted part of their success in these areas come from the lack of(until now) being able to pirate ps3

Rham said:

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.

This is their contribution to society

widebell.jpg

Rham said:

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.

Thanks?

MechDX

Rham said:

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.

You obviously were not here when Kinect was announced, 80% of GAF screamed "BOMBA!!".

evolution

Rham said:

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.
oh boy lol, looking back its kinda true though

Cipherr

Gravijah said:
I don't really remember anyone saying it would do well. Especially not this well.

Ill put money we could go through those names in his list and find most of them right along with us saying Kinect would be a failure. Next to none of us saw this coming.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Context of picture is middle east 2010 sales Taken from a lecture on middle east market and localization from GDC 2011.

Sorry, my point was just deciding to randomly exclude/ include things then talk on a global scale is confusing. . I mean a lot of 360's strength in Europe comes from U.K. Let's put U.K. and America together, then all of a sudden PS3 looks exceptionally strong in Europe.

I'm not excluding any random territory. I'm talking about the fact that Microsoft failed so miserably in Japan, it's not an actual competitor. You can't say that about the PS3 or 360 in any of the other relevant territories(since now apparantly we have to watch out for the mighty Middle East).

When you are talking about this WW gap people tend to point to Europe, aka Sonyland, but the truth is 80%-90% of that comes from Japan, not Europe.

Kusagari

Did ANYONE really think Kinect would be a straight up fail though? Yes, I know that GAF railed against it but I always figured the people expecting a straight up bomba were just trolling and pitifully trying to deny the inevitable.

Obviously though none of us expected it to be the fastest selling consumer electronics device in history.

Cipherr said:
Ill put money we could go through those names in his list and find most of them right along with us saying Kinect would be a failure. Next to none of us saw this coming.

Well I can't speak for everyone, but while I never saw this kind of success, I believed it perform quite well ever since E3 of last year. Good thing I wasn't a member then, because I'm sure I would have been crucified here had I been able to post my thoughts on it.

edit: ah forget it. time for bed. If we're at the point of another dude making lists of members and calling them names, the conversation has run dry.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rham said:

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.
You must have missed when the overwhelming majority of posters hailed Move as the second coming of Jesus and would be more accessible to casuals and better long term for the hardcore.

And then sales numbers came out. I got sick of even hearing the word Move on GAF and then things got a bit more even. And now, supposodly, things have swung the other way again. Don't generalize the GAF consensus based upon select individuals in one thread, you could say the same about Sony fanboys months ago.

doicare

Watchtower said:
But anyway, if you want to break it down regionally, go ahead and look up the amount of units the PS3 sold in its first 2 months in Europe compared to the 360. During its launch window. The PS3 made up well over 1 million of the European/360 gap in its first 2 months of availability. Go ahead and subtract that out of the number you came up(1,765,888) with and you will see that since since around May 2007, it's basically done nothing in the grand scheme of things even in Europe.

PS: My numbers are the same as yours. I'm doing a completely different calculation.
Your calculation and logic is completely flawed. According to what you are saying the only 'fair' way to compare the ps3 and 360's for the rest of the world is to count all of the 360's rest of world sales and then compare them to the ps3's rest of world sales that are already behind by 1 and a half years (as that's how late it launched) and then on top of that you have to take away the first two months of ps3's launch sales because some how it's unfair that the ps3 had them........ok sure that makes sense........

Rham said:

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.
Wow! Someone is upset and mad about something.

doicare said:
Your calculation and logic is completely flawed. According to what you are saying the only 'fair' way to compare the ps3 and 360's for the rest of the world is to count all of the 360's rest of world sales and then compare them to the ps3's rest of world sales that are already behind by 1 and a half years (as that's how late it launched) and then on top of that you have to take away the first two months of ps3's launch sales because some how it's unfair that the ps3 had them........ok sure that makes sense........

Uhm no. That's not what I'm saying either. I've already stated it like 3 times already. This isn't about "fair" or taking out anything.

Here. I'll just quote myself from above cause I'm going to bed now:

When you are talking about this WW gap people tend to point to Europe, aka Sonyland, but the truth is 80%-90% of that comes from Japan, not Europe.

...or the other territories(and the majority of that remaining 10% came during the first 2 months of PS3's launch in Europe).

Kusagari said:
Did ANYONE really think Kinect would be a straight up fail though? Yes, I know that GAF railed against it but I always figured the people expecting a straight up bomba were just trolling and pitifully trying to deny the inevitable.

Obviously though none of us expected it to be the fastest selling consumer electronics device in history.

No one believed it would be the greatest selling item ever, sure, but a large chunk of this very board thought the platform would be stillborn. Most of the "crow" threads were last year, everyone got their jokes in and the more mature posters owned up to be being wrong. The "just another eyetoy" comparison is pretty much dusted, Kinect has already passed the eyetoy in sales (US and WW) and in meaningful 3rd party support after 4 months.

Rham said:

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.

They aren't allowed to talk about Kinect sales in a sales thread? I think you're lost if you think this thread is the place to melt down about sales numbers. If people are going to openly lament the 360's recent surge in popularity, you can certainly expect people to pop up and try and explain to you why it's doing as well as it is.

duk

Banned
Rham, you missed out on the last 4 years where 360 was the laughing stock and could do no right even though it continued to sell incredibly well software, hardware, online, etc.

There was a reason the 'year of the ps3 meme' came around 3 years ago when this place was mostly inhabitied by sony fanboys. They are all somberly napping after eating so much crow.

mujun

Sidzed2 said:
I have no clue what people are playing on their Xbox 360 consoles...

... Mine just sits there, waiting for Gears of War 3.

I seriously don't understand it.

Dragon Age 2 is pretty good. I'm looking forward to getting Homefront and Crysis 2 soon, as well.

Not playing Killzone 3 or Motorstorm, though. I have enough other stuff to keep me busy.

Kusagari

GAF has had a clear Sony slant for the last couple years. Nothing on this forum will EVER be able to beat the Killzone brigade infesting every single thread with Killzone gifs.

Cipherr

Watchtower said:
Well I can't speak for everyone, but while I never saw this kind of success, I believed it perform quite well ever since E3 of last year. Good thing I wasn't a member then, because I'm sure I would have been crucified here had I been able to post my thoughts on it.

Nah me, hell damn near everyone owned up to it, it wasn't that bad. A few crow gifs lol. Just didn't see it coming. I assumed move if either of them would go nuclear. Just goes to show. You never know.

alphaNoid

Banned
Kusagari said:

I think the GAF Kinect hate-machine went something like this.

Theory 1 : Kinect will bomb, HARD! lol no question, definite bomba!
Fact 1 : MS announces $500 million marketing campaign for the duration of Kinect advertising.
Theory 2 : Kinect totally sucks, but will probably sell to sheep consumers blinded by shiny advertising
Fact 2 : MS announces Kinects launch will outsell the iPad launch.
Theory 3 : MS be craZy, Kinect sucks and has zero chance of outselling the iPad.
Fact 3 : Kinect launches with great success
Theory 4 : Well duh, all hardware launches always are good, and pfft its the holidays. It was going to launch good because of this.
Fact 4 : MS announces Kinect sells 2.5 million units in 25 days and is on pace to outsell the iPad.

*cricket* *cricket*

Theory 5 : Well duh, all hardware launches always are good, and pfft its the holidays. It was going to launch good because of this.
Fact 5 : MS announces Kinect sells 8 million units in 60 days, passing the iPad and being hailed as the fastest selling consumer electronic of all time.
Theory 6 : Well you see everyone KNEW Kinect was going to launch well, and I mean comeon ... what couldn't sell well with a $500 million marketing campaign. The real test will be how it does in 2011, and the software has to be good.
Fact : MS announces Kinect sells 10 million units, setting Guiness world records and solidifying its pace ahead of iPad.

*cricket* *cricket*
Theory 7 : Where are all the games? And why are there so many MS Xbot plants here at GAF? Comeon guys.. for realz, stop.

The goal post moving surrounding Kinect has been an absolutely joy to witness. People filled with such conviction, such hate, putting so much energy into something they don't like instead of just like ... um, not buying it? But I will say this, its been fun to watch from the sidelines.. and so many voices have fallen silent, so many warriors fell in the OT thread as well.

In the time I spent to reply, I'm guessing a few more thousand Kinects sold and somewhere, some guy reading all of this is upset about it lol.

So I just caught the latest update and I'd like to take time out from the Kinect discussion to say that 50K sales for DQVI is far too low.

The Shift

Banned
Rham said:

@REMEMBER CITADEL
@TheOddOne
@Arpharmd B
@30SomethingGamer
@Watchtower
@OldJadedGamer
@szaromir

Just fucking stop it.

Cripes - from one junior to another, you are doing it wrong.

doicare

Watchtower said:
Uhm no. That's not what I'm saying either. I've already stated it like 3 times already. This isn't about "fair" or taking out anything.

Here. I'll just quote myself from above cause I'm going to bed now:

...or the other territories(and the majority of that remaining 10% came during the first 2 months of PS3's launch in Europe).
You still have no point. To begin with you'll never know the exact break down of Europe vs the rest of the worlds sales and the combined rest of the world sales are just as important as Japan's sales which was my point.

Some how you are trying to compare 360's Japanese 1 year head start sales advantage to the 360's european/rest of the world year and a half head start which is completely flawed as obviously the 360 gains an extra half a years worth of sales which isn't a straight comparison.

To break down the actual numbers for you, in Japan despite the 360 having a years head start the ps3 has outsold it by 4.66 million as of the end of 2010. For Europe/rest of the world doing the same thing, the ps3 has outsold the 360 by roughly 1.76 million but the big difference is the 360 had a year and half head start compared to Japan's 1 year head start. Even if you want to use that flawed comparison then Europe/rest of the world accounts for 27.5% of the ps3's gain on the 360.

The best way to show what is happening is by taking each of the two regions and comparing the gains made from when the ps3 launched in each region. In Japan since launch the ps3 has gained 4.82 million compared to what the 360 sold during the same time and in Europe/rest of the world the ps3 has gained roughly 5.2 million. Like i said combined rest of the world sales are just as important as Japan's sales which is my point.

Top Bottom