• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

GavinGT

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with our country for making Black Ops the best selling game ever?

Also, Kinect software seems to hang out just outside of the top 10 usually.

dumb question: Why do companies release high profile games so late in the NPD reporting cycle? I'd think that they would want a full month of sales so they could issue PR about topping the charts and what not...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Red UFO said:
Absolutely. Over-saturation is going to kill that market on the spot.
I dunno. My female friends still seem to dig it and it doesn't look like they'll get tired of it anytime soon. They even asked for 360s for Christmas just for Dance Central alone. They don't really want to break out DDR mat anymore because it's not as "pick-up-and-play" as Just Dance is.

Mindlog

"The 250 GB system bundled with the Kinect sensor was one of the drivers of the increase in average selling price among console hardware."
I am thoroughly boggled. Biggest non-holiday month ever with an effect YoY price increase. It's ludicrous.

Grabbed some snippets from last year's Gamasutra article.
We remain dubious on whether Microsoft's Project Natal will actually lift and sustain the platform significantly, but are open to the possibility that the motion controls along with a $50 price cut might welcome more casual players into Microsoft's fold.
Completely reasonable assessment. This puts a bit of perspective on what the current ASP increase means.

In fact, we would argue that Microsoft's Xbox 360 itself is doing quite well for a system in its fifth year. The company has increased sales each February since the system's launch, and the strong software offerings this year – including a new Halo title – should help propel the platform through the rest of 2010.
Well noted :]

PlayStation 2 101.9K
PlayStation 3 360.1K
PSP 133.4K
Xbox 360 422.0K
Wii 397.9K
Nintendo DS 613.2K

BIOSHOCK 2* 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Feb-10 562.9K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 555.6K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 314.3K
JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 275.4K
SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 272.5K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 252.8K
MASS EFFECT 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 246.5K
DANTE'S INFERNO: DIVINE EDITION PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 242.5K
DANTE'S INFERNO 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 224.7K
HEAVY RAIN PS3 SONY Feb-10 219.3K

February 2010 NPD for comparisons sake.

obonicus said:
Basically. Especially since this looks like it's a really good month. #3 is 555k.
That doesn't really mean much though does it (especially as that's technically the number 1 selling game)... 4 could be 200k for all we know (it's unlikely, but possible).

alr1ghtstart said:
I bet it does well in Euroland, but I'm kind of happy it didn't sell great.
For sure. I'm sad and happy about it. Ah well, maybe they'll realize copycatting doesn't get you anywhere so long as you're still using an IP the gave most people a bad taste. I still think they should've made an entirely new IP for these changes and left KZ as it was in KZ2 barring input lag (even though it never bothered me).

Ah well, I wish them the best on their next projects.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Gravijah said:
I hope you're joking.

Hence the lol, it was a joke, seriously sometimes people take Sales Age jokes/quips to seriously

It was just reference on how some lucky GAFfers got, including Mr. GAF Overlord himself

Amir0x

Banned
Grecco said:
The era where first party matters is over. There are multiple hardcore games with 360 Skus on this months NPDs. Its just that they are multiplataform.

Microsoft realized this years ago when they cut bait on so many of their studios. Its a third party world, and having the better versions of those games matters more.

Yeah but for the blessed, 360 is now stuck in limbo, where PC outflanks it at every turn.

it needs them exclusives back

Wii Tops 35 Million in Sales as Multiple Games Hit Major Milestones

Nintendo’s Wii™ console has crossed the 35 million sales mark in the United States, according to the NPD Group. More than 454,000 Wii consoles sold in February to put Wii across the 35 million mark faster than any other console in U.S. history.

February proved to be a notable month for Nintendo software as well. Not only was Just Dance 2 from Ubisoft the No. 1 best-selling game of the month with more than 554,000 sold, but four Nintendo games reached new sales milestones. Donkey Kong Country™ Returns for the Wii console, which launched in November 2010, crossed the 2 million mark in February, while New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii, which launched in November 2009, just crossed the 8 million sales mark.

On the portable side, the Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version game for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems launched in March 2010 and crossed the 2 million sales mark in February, while the New Super Mario Bros. game, which launched in May 2006, just passed 9 million in sales. These milestones further demonstrate the “evergreen” nature of games that play on Nintendo systems.

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.

Source: Nintendo PR

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/62048/

Sorry if this is a shitty source, but I figured real?

The fact is the PS3 needs software to try and improve it's standing in the US, and nothing is doing it. Killzone sold well enough for a reasonably budgeted multiplatform game, but when it's an important title for a console with a lot of first party support behind, expectations are naturally higher.

Noshino

Skiesofwonder said:
I'm not meaning to single you out but your post suggests that Kinect is all gimmick/no-substance and I strongly disagree. Kinect is (imo) an amazing add-on to the Xbox 360, and deserves EVERY single sale because the pontential and plain-out fun it brings to gaming is fricken mind-blowing! More games like Kinect Sports and Dance Central will be welcomed by me with open arms.

I applaud you Microsoft. Nintendo, time to step it up on the home-console front.

Sorry, but I side with Ami as well. The only thing that I liked about Kinect was the tech, which was interesting at best, unfortunately is seems to be very inefficient. Piss poor implementation from Microsoft, yet that 500 mil have done wonders to slip its weaknesses under the rug.

Red UFO

Dark Schala said:
I dunno. My female friends still seem to dig it and it doesn't look like they'll get tired of it anytime soon. They even asked for 360s for Christmas just for Dance Central alone. They don't really want to break out DDR mat anymore because it's not as "pick-up-and-play" as Just Dance is.

I'm really talking about this current 'wave' of dance games. I have a hard time imagining them still being popular in a year or two.

Amir0x said:
I would argue that the sales of Kinect were largely driven by a flush in casuals. If the hardcore was doing it, Microsoft 360 would have been #1 for a long time.

Now, with the Kinect-oriented 360 future, the system holds virtually no appeal for a self-respecting hardcore member in the current announced lineup. The lineup is abysmal. Gears of War 3 and maybe Forza.

And I'd argue you are wrong just by the fact that we've already had reports of nearly half of Kinect sales being to current users. While probably another 10-15% of bundled sales still going to current 360 owners that upgraded.

You could argue that most of the sales are to core gamers that don't mind playing casual games as well, or you could also say some gamers actually find games like Dance Central fun and entertaining.

It's probably a pretty close mix of both which is a good thing for the future of Kinect development.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
alr1ghtstart said:
i would say lol (it should happen when you ship a broken game), but it only had 6 days.
Was there ever a case where the "It only had X days" excuse turned out to be true, as in a better position and sale numbers the next month? I can't think of one.

GavinGT said:
What the fuck is wrong with our country for making Black Ops the best selling game ever?

america_fuck_yeah_gi_tattoo.jpg

Luckyman

Banned
cjelly said:
Bulletstorm outsold KZ3. Fact.

You can argue who, what, when, why, how all you like. The fact is, Bulletstorm outsold Killzone 3. Doesn't matter which way you slice it.

Them the facts.

Would be horrible for Epic if it didn't..

Strike

butter_stick said:
The fact is the PS3 needs software to try and improve it's standing in the US, and nothing is doing it. Killzone sold well enough for a reasonably budgeted multiplatform game, but when it's an important title for a console with a lot of first party support behind, expectations are naturally higher.
Price drop, Price drop, Price drop. That's the only thing that will do it at this point.
Elios83 said:
PS3 450k, Wii 454k
Edit: Wait, are these numbers accurate?

Have numbers been extrapolated from this quote?

"All three console systems realized a unit sales increase over last February and a unit sales increase over January 2011, NPD says."

Amir0x

Banned
Watchtower said:
And I'd argue you are wrong just by the fact that we've already had reports of nearly half of Kinect sales being to current users. While probably another 10-15% of bundled sales still going to current 360 owners that upgraded.

You could argue that most of the sales are to core gamers that don't mind playing casual games as well, or you could also say some gamers actually find games like Dance Central fun and entertaining.

It's probably a pretty close mix of both which is a good thing for the future of Kinect development.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, but obviously, mostly old hardcore gamers are not driving the Xbox 360 hardware sales at the moment. This is new class entering the arena territory; clearly, casuals.

Reallink

Looks like the Wii wave is officially upgrading to 360 and Kinect. Can't really think of any other explanation for why it would pull down those kind of numbers in February given the release calendar, its age, and already saturated hardcore base.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So the PS3 should be around 450k, which is also insanely good.

How does that rank among it's best non-holiday months?

Elios83

Sutton Dagger said:
Have numbers been extrapolated from this quote?

"All three console systems realized a unit sales increase over last February and a unit sales increase over January 2011, NPD says."

PS3 450k, Wii 454k

Strike said:
Price drop, Price drop, Price drop. That's the only thing that will do it at this point.
Pretty much. Unfortunately it's too late for the PS3 to ever get above third place in the US. The question is how long Sony wait to try the PS4. MS may be happy to wait quite a bit, and they'll always have the price advantage.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Wii: 457,585

Donkey Kong COutnry Returns: > 2 Million Lifetime U.S.
New SUper Mario Bros Wii : > 8 Million Lifetime U.S.

Diebuster

butter_stick said:

I don't think the issue is software so much as it is price. A $300 360 bundled with Kinect is just more appealing to the American consumer than a $300 PS3 and it shows.

Strider2K99 said:
Amazing, Black Ops continues it's domination for another month.
Not only is it continuing its domination, it has cemented itself as the best selling game of all time in the US. ALL TIME. I can't get over it.

antonz

PS3 based on 25% Gain over last years sales is 450.1K
Wii based on 15% Gain over last years sales is 457.5K

Kinda crazy. All 3 Consoles did suprsingly well

butter_stick said:

(omg please change your avatar)

(so terrified right now)

Top Bottom