• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

Amir0x said:
Yeah but for the blessed, 360 is now stuck in limbo, where PC outflanks it at every turn.

it needs them exclusives back

Clearly considering it sold just over half a million this month! Unlike Sony, whose staple of "core" exclusives released this month proved it's how you do it, the lack of them on the 360 slowed down momentum.

Seriously, what NPD thread are you reading?

newjeruse

butter_stick said:
Pretty much. Unfortunately it's too late for the PS3 to ever get above third place in the US. The question is how long Sony wait to try the PS4. MS may be happy to wait quite a bit, and they'll always have the price advantage.
If this month is an indication of an industry on the rebound, then Sony will be waiting a while like everybody else.

GavinGT

Banned
Anyone want to place bets on what month Black Ops will lose first place? I guess it's hard to tell without numbers, though.

Noshino

butter_stick said:
Pretty much. Unfortunately it's too late for the PS3 to ever get above third place in the US. The question is how long Sony wait to try the PS4. MS may be happy to wait quite a bit, and they'll always have the price advantage.

MS may be happy riding on the Kinect hype train, but I don't think they'll wait for too long. MS will more than likely try to release their next console months before Sony's...

antonz said:
PS3 based on 25% Gain over last years sales is 450.1K
Wii based on 15% Gain over last years sales is 457.5K
Those percentages were based on dollar sales... so whilst it might work for the Wii (has it had a price cut?) it probably wont for the PS3 (Move bundles, etc).

DMeisterJ

Banned
The sales for all the consoles in February is crazy... Considering the MSRP of the three consoles hasn't changed since last February, I wonder what the reasoning behind the increase is... Was it really that good of a tax season? So surprising.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
Massa said:
The "KZ3 bomba" brings flashbacks to the "GT5 bomba". Never change, GAF.

Now they are adding LBP2 in the mix, just because it didn't chart in the next month's top ten, totally shakes my head.

Guys need to relax a little and don't jumb to their guns declaring games as bombas while we still don't have numbers.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Amir0x said:
I just don't like sub-par control systems with infuriating lag that have virtually no realistic application in 99.9% of all genres. You know, I like actual control in my games. Not giant leap backwards in time.

But that's just me. CLEARLY, that's just me.

While I totally disagree with "sup-par control system" and "no realistic application in 99.9% of all genres" comments I say we save this discussion for another thread lol. Though I can see how you could come to that point considering I HATE keyboard and mouse
please don't read into this comment gaffers, I'm not comparing KB&M to Kinect in any way, shape, or form. I'm just trying to explain how I relate to Amirox's feelings towards Kinect.

antonz

GavinGT said:
Anyone want to place bets on what month Black Ops will lose first place? I guess it's hard to tell without numbers, though.
Blackops loses first place next month. Pokemon sold 1.08 million in 1 day

Delio

Really crazy for the 360. Kinect did a lot to pull it to the top spot didnt it? Although i'm quite pleased all of them sold so well.

Red UFO

I am very interested in seeing how long Kinect will sell for. I predicted it was going to a be a holiday hit and nothing more, looks like I may be wrong.

Empty

coming up on five years since i bought my 360 and it's having its best (non-holiday) month now. seriously impressive stuff from microsoft.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Call of Duty: Black Ops being the best selling game ever in the U.S. is all kinds of huhhhhhhhhh???

Isn't it not even a REAL Call of Duty game? Wasn't it made by Treyarch or someone that handles spinoffs or something?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DMeisterJ said:
The sales for all the consoles in February is crazy... Considering the MSRP of the three consoles hasn't changed since last February, I wonder what the reasoning behind the increase is... Was it really that good of a tax season? So surprising.

Taxmas!

Grecco

Amir0x said:
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, but obviously, mostly old hardcore gamers are not driving the Xbox 360 hardware sales at the moment. This is new class entering the arena territory; clearly, casuals.

Again, i think its not entirely acurate because the npds also have a bunch of core games that happen to be on the 360 (COD, Bulletstorm, MVC3) and not that many casual 360 games.

if it was "just" casuals, you would see stuff like Kinect Sports consistantly chart. Its what you see on the Wii. Which is casual based.

Psychotext said:
Those percentages were based on dollar sales... so whilst it might work for the Wii (has it had a price cut?) it probably wont for the PS3 (Move bundles, etc).

Still if it's anywhere close to that Sony might actually talk numbers this month!

And to think MS still has a price cut card to play. Crazy.

I saw this coming in my mind when Kinect launched. I figured even if Kinect could only steal a small portion of the Wii market, that would make MS the leader by default because of it's already strong core business. Obviously the investment in Kinect is paying off! Now we just need some more good games for the device.

Another interesting note: their best selling sku is the 400$ Kinect bundle. Who would of thought 6 years after the 360 launched, they'd still be at 300~400$ lol.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Oblivion said:
Call of Duty: Black Ops being the best selling game ever in the U.S. is all kinds of huhhhhhhhhh???

Isn't it not even a REAL Call of Duty game? Wasn't it made by Treyarch or someone that handles spinoffs or something?
Well, I assume MW2 would be higher if they had counted the PC version for it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Red UFO said:
I'm really talking about this current 'wave' of dance games. I have a hard time imagining them still being popular in a year or two.
A lot of people (mostly girls) I know seem to love Just Dance 2, counting it as "strenuous exercise" with more of a diverse tracklist than the first game. I don't know if I can say the same for the MJ game. People are still looking for ways to get fit while having fun, but yes--should someone decide to flood the market with something to the effect of Dance Hero every few months or annually, then this market might get too oversaturated.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Psychotext said:

It should be noted that the Move 320GB pack is discontinued. Probably why Amazon is clearing them out right now.

fernoca

Completely forgot about NPD?!! :O!!
Nice to see Killzone 3 in there.

The Lamp said:
Whatever happened to LBP2? :(
It did fine.
It sold in 1 NPD chart covering just 11 days, what the first one did in 2 NPD charts covering 30 days...plus whatever it sold this NPD.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Oblivion said:

Confirms that Activision doesn't need Infinity Ward.

Strike said:
Price drop, Price drop, Price drop. That's the only thing that will do it at this point.

Edit: Wait, are these numbers accurate?

Actually unless you were being sarcastic....if these numbers continue to hold, what exactly is the incentive for any of them to drop the price?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The Lamp said:
Whatever happened to LBP2? :(

Same thing that happened with LBP, it showed up 1 month, then vanished away

Almost all Sony 1st party start out in the middle and by the next month are close to being knocked out, then the following month, never to be seen agin

I saw so many Bullet Storm commercials, so many during FOX Animation Domination, but KillZone 3 either got the Kevin Butler treatment or just that teaser (30 sec) and maybe I have seen it 3-5 with-in a month before release

Amir0x said:
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, but obviously, mostly old hardcore gamers are not driving the Xbox 360 hardware sales at the moment. This is new class entering the arena territory; clearly, casuals.

Call of Duty is still far and away the biggest system seller for the 360, even amongst people buying the console for/with Kinect. Going to take a stab in the dark and estimate it sold another 400k-500k this month just on 360.

Sales-wise it is the most important "core" game on the market for PS3 and 360, as it has been since 2007. If CoD keeps bringing shooter fans to the platform, the 360 will still show gains in shooters and action games' sales.

iconoclast said:

Who?

GavinGT

Banned
I delivered pizzas to the Microsoft store in the mall the other day. There must have been 40 employees and about 150 people crammed into this relatively small store. They might as well have renamed it Kinect store. They had about twenty Kinect demo stations, with some set up outside the store in the main walkway. Every person that walked by had to stop and look. Shit's crazy.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord I hate the shortening of "Black Ops" to "BLOPS." It's not an acronym, why are we capitalizing every letter?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Omiee said:
man killzone 3 did not even make top 3, that sucks.

o_O, not sure if serious..

Oblivion said:

Man I hate the franchise but a 60fps online shooter, what else is out there that competes?

As I said in a thread I made a while back the frame-rate is a big reason as to why this game is a as popular as it is giving it a very precise and unique feel compared to other shooters, other dev's just don't seem to be cottoning on.

The other thing to take into consideration with the somewhat silly Bulletstorm v. Killzone 3 sales is that Bulletstorm is a new IP while KZ3 is what the fourth game in the franchise including the PSP title. So in that regard for a new IP to outsell an established IP early on is kind of saying something about one of the two if not both.

Dabanton

butter_stick said:
The fact is the PS3 needs software to try and improve it's standing in the US, and nothing is doing it. Killzone sold well enough for a reasonably budgeted multiplatform game, but when it's an important title for a console with a lot of first party support behind, expectations are naturally higher.

That's why all the crowing about the PS3 exclusive lineup this year will be come December all be for nought. So far we've had what i would consider two big hitters for PS3 LBP2 which did fairly ok and then we have KZ3 yes it had only been out for 6 days when these numbers were taken but i would have thought that anyone who wanted it would have brought it in huge numbers within the first few days what the hell were PS3 owners playing why they didn't purchase it?

Maybe their is just no interest. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the year..

Top Bottom