• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

titiklabingapat said:
Can someone kindly post Jan 08 console numbers please for comparison.

Thank you!

From schuelma:

Last January's numbers for comparison:

Nintendo Wii -- 274k
PlayStation 3 - 269k
PlayStation 2 - 264k
Nintendo DS -- 251k
Sony PSP ----- 230k
Xbox 360 ----- 230k

harSon said:
There's only so much you can do after selling 2 million on launch.

Well they could try marketing it and perhaps release a demo? Gears 1 came out within 12 months of launch, many people were not around for the first installment so need to be told about it.

cakeman19

Banned
Does it seem like the gap between the PS3 and 360 monthly sales is closing? I'm sure with a pricedrop, PS3 would surpass 360 monthly.

schuelma said:

Nintendo Wii -- 274k
PlayStation 3 - 269k
PlayStation 2 - 264k
Nintendo DS -- 251k
Sony PSP ----- 230k
Xbox 360 ----- 230k
Basically Sony sales are down for the third month in a row, year on year.

schuelma said:

Nintendo Wii -- 274k
PlayStation 3 - 269k
PlayStation 2 - 264k
Nintendo DS -- 251k
Sony PSP ----- 230k
Xbox 360 ----- 230k
Wii and DS sales sky rocket, Xbox 360 sales go up, Playstation family sales go down across the board. February will be fun.

oatmeal

Banned
oro6d4.jpg

dyls

I really didn't expect that 360 could manage over 300K sales in January. That means it's pretty much guaranteed a higher base sales over the next few slow months than 2008.

botticus

cakeman19 said:
Does it seem like the gap between the PS3 and 360 monthly sales is closing? I'm sure with a pricedrop, PS3 would surpass 360 monthly.
Yes, the 360 is definitely outselling the PS3 less in January than it was in December.

_Alkaline_ said:
From schuelma:

Nintendo Wii -- 274k
PlayStation 3 - 269k
PlayStation 2 - 264k
Nintendo DS -- 251k
Sony PSP ----- 230k
Xbox 360 ----- 230k

Was it 5 weeks this year?

PS3, PS2, and PSP continue to descend YoY while MS and Ninty go up and up. Jesus...I can't get over the continued success of Wii...in-fucking-sane.

schuelma said:

Nintendo Wii -- 274k
PlayStation 3 - 269k
PlayStation 2 - 264k
Nintendo DS -- 251k
Sony PSP ----- 230k
Xbox 360 ----- 230k

Oh wow. The PS3 was sniffing the Wii this time last year. Can't see that happening again... ever.

VALIS

cakeman19 said:

The PS3 outsold the 360 last January, so, in fact, it's the opposite of what you suggest.

JdFoX187

Banned
Surprised at the low LotR numbers. I honestly thought it would sell pretty well this month with nothing else coming out. I bought it for a new game fix. As a LotR fan, it was decent, but horribly unpolished. I was satisfied, perhaps that'll show EA not to release half-ass games like that. They've been doing so good lately.

Barrett2

Once again begging the question, who in the fuck is buying the PS3? How is Lord of the Rings the highest selling game on the system this month? Jesus... -_-

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Typo fixed. Also the NPD info stated that Mario Kart DS was for the 360, also fixed.

harSon

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Well they could try marketing it and perhaps release a demo? Gears 1 came out within 12 months of launch, many people were not around for the first installment so need to be told about it.

It has sold 4 million in 2 months which is apparently double the pace of the original.

Xavien

DS > PS2 + PSP + PS3

Wii is 100k shy of beating every non-nintendo console combined

This is getting ridiculous.

sprocket

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:

ps3 hasnt seen a price cut in a long time. xbox is at $200 now that is a no brainer.

Wii is just rocking the house. I look forward to great Wii games coming this last half of the gen.

GhaleonEB

schuelma said:

Nintendo Wii -- 274k
PlayStation 3 - 269k
PlayStation 2 - 264k
Nintendo DS -- 251k
Sony PSP ----- 230k
Xbox 360 ----- 230k
YoY change:

WII --- 147.9%
NDS -- 103.5%
360 --- 34.3%
PS3 --- (24.5%)
PSP --- (25.1%)
PS2 --- (61.7%)

Nintendo more that doubling. 360 growing well. Playstation Family is not doing so hot...

Vinnk

schuelma said:

Nintendo Wii -- 274k
PlayStation 3 - 269k
PlayStation 2 - 264k
Nintendo DS -- 251k
Sony PSP ----- 230k
Xbox 360 ----- 230k

For real? I guess with all the total domination lately it is hard to remember it ever being close.

Top Bottom