• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
sprocket said:
ps3 hasnt seen a price cut in a long time. xbox is at $200 now that is a no brainer.

Wii is just rocking the house. I look forward to great Wii games coming this last half of the gen.

Sucks for Sony. That's what happens when you get beat to market. Also, the 360 held it's price for an extremely long time.

Rapping Granny said:
console costs twice as much as competition sells less. MORE SHOCKING NEWS AT ELEVEN.

console sells less than the previous year several months in a row despite the recent release of high-budget software. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

watership

cakeman19 said:
Does it seem like the gap between the PS3 and 360 monthly sales is closing? I'm sure with a pricedrop, PS3 would surpass 360 monthly.

January 08:
PlayStation 3 269k
Xbox 360 230k

Closing in!

Rapping Granny said:
console costs twice as much as competition sells less. MORE SHOCKING NEWS AT ELEVEN.

The PS3 was designed to be much more expensive than its competitors, didn't stop Sony predicting dominince

Barrett2

GhaleonEB said:
YoY change:

WII --- 147.9%
NDS -- 103.5%
360 --- 34.3%
PS3 --- (24.5%)
PSP --- (25.1%)
PS2 --- (61.7%)

Nintendo more that doubling. 360 growing well. Playstation Family is not doing so hot...

Not even Hoffman could spin that. RIP

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
cakeman19 said:
Does it seem like the gap between the PS3 and 360 monthly sales is closing? I'm sure with a pricedrop, PS3 would surpass 360 monthly.

LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

FrankT

GhaleonEB said:
YoY change:

WII --- 147.9%
NDS -- 103.5%
360 --- 34.3%
PS3 --- (24.5%)
PSP --- (25.1%)
PS2 --- (61.7%)

Nintendo more that doubling. 360 growing well. Playstation Family is not doing so hot...

With the PS2 hitting 100k in January it's going to be a much rougher year for it than 08. It has finally run it's course for sure and a long one it has been.

Rapping Granny said:

Come on. This:

GhaleonEB said:
YoY change:

WII --- 147.9%
NDS -- 103.5%
360 --- 34.3%
PS3 --- (24.5%)
PSP --- (25.1%)
PS2 --- (61.7%)

is at least surprising if not totally shocking. Also, by that logic, the 360 would be outselling the Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinnk said:
For real? I guess with all the total domination lately it is hard to remember it ever being close.

I think last year was strictly Nintendo running out of supply after the holidays.

sprocket said:
ps3 hasnt seen a price cut in a long time. xbox is at $200 now that is a no brainer.

Which makes that quote even more stupid. The PS3 is in no way "selling well for the price". It's being outperformed by itself at the same (or greater, I can't recall when the last Ps3 price drop was) price it was last year.

The PS3 is selling like shit. It's selling like shit compared to the 360, it's selling like shit compared to PS3 Jan 2008. It's selling like shit, period.

zeloe326

Toddler said:
dptgs5.jpg

Makes you wonder who is the bigger defense force. The one that took his time to create this GIF, or the ones that the GIF is relating too. Serious business, this console war stuff. :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
mr_bishiuk said:
So LOTR is defo PS3?

The NPD info says PS3, not a mistake on my end. Of course the NPD info says that Mario Kart DS is for the 360, so yeah, I don't know. Will await confirmation.

Erebus

EviLore said:
Typo fixed. Also the NPD info stated that Mario Kart DS was for the 360, also fixed.

LotR Conquest is for PS3 or 360? I'm confused :S

Edit: Nevermind, beaten as always :(

Banned
cakeman19 said:

:lol Dude how can the 360 outsell the PS3 by 700,000 in Jan? Of course it had a bigger lead in Dec. Think about it.

Delio

Amazing at how much Nintendo has turned itself around this gen. They really have nailed it so far. MKDS being in the top 10 again brings a tear to my eye. It's great to see older games still showing they can be monsters. I expect MKDS's big brother MKWii to be in the top for a long time to come.

zeloe326 said:
Makes you wonder who is the bigger defense force. The one that took his time to create this GIF, or the ones that the GIF is relating too.
Hmm... yeah, definitely the ones the GIF is relating to. Without a doubt.

EviLore said:
The NPD info says PS3, not a mistake on my end. Of course the NPD info says that Mario Kart DS is for the 360, so yeah, I don't know. Will await confirmation.

Fair enough, not particularly accurate though are they for a firm of statisticians?!!

Cheech

Don't know what was more shocking, Left 4 Dead being the best selling shooter of the month, or LotR being the best selling PS3 game. Do PS3 owners not play demos or read reviews? What a horrible turd that game is.

Vinnk said:
For real? I guess with all the total domination lately it is hard to remember it ever being close.
There was that infamous Nintendo drought last year.

Retailers never got anything for the first three weeks of the year, especially Wiis.

jay

Rapping Granny said:

This is my favorite stupid response to PS3 sales woes. Just letting everyone know.

Jonsoncao

Banned
DarkUSS said:
LotR Conquest is for PS3 or 360? I'm confused :S

Edit: Nevermind, beaten as always :(
i guess the LOTR is for 360

the NPD spreadsheet seems like missing a row of DS, then the tenth platform 360 move up a grid and the 11th should be some PS3 title I guess its CoD: WaW

Kolgar

xbhaskarx said:
:lol

It's so predictable it's getting kind of boring, the only real surprise is LOTR for the PS3 making the top 10.

And that's almost assuredly the 360 game, seeing as how NPD has made some mistakes this time around.

My, my, my. Two years ago, would we have believed these numbers?

I'm all for seeing arrogant companies be humbled, but I'm honestly a little rattled by how hard the PlayStation brand is being rocked.

Thrakier

_Alkaline_ said:
console sells less than the previous year several months in a row despite the recent release of high-budget software. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

I think that's just because of the 360 price drop. Every 360 sold means potentially one PS3 NOT sold. Because the 360 costs only half the price it really really affects the PS3 sales.

FrankT

Cheech said:
Don't know what was more shocking, Left 4 Dead being the best selling shooter of the month, or LotR being the best selling PS3 game. Do PS3 owners not play demos or read reviews? What a horrible turd that game is.

I don't know it is just a weird number anyway you slice it. That over Skate 2? I mean c'mon.

Top Bottom