• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

DMeisterJ said:
Umm... I think Rapping Granny is/was being sarcastic.

I don't know anymore.

Have a gif.

vzk7kg.jpg

DMeisterJ

Banned
Frillen said:
I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

Hmm... who knows. It's just that a few posts up, he says that KZ2 won't help PS3 sales, and if he was delusional enough to believe that the PS3 is not selling due to price, he'd be delusional enough to believe that KZ2 would help sales. But that's not the topic of this thread so...

botticus said:
OA says LOTR is 360, TSE says... nothing. Can't find any other sites with data yet.

Game Daily says PS3. Also had the Skate 2 number correct.

10. Lord of the Rings: Conquest - PS3 – EA – 113K

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
WTF NPD thread is so slow today. :(

There's not much to say. Nintendo keeps growing, Microsoft keeps floating, Sony keeps sinking.

Arde5643

EviLore said:
The NPD info says PS3, not a mistake on my end. Of course the NPD info says that Mario Kart DS is for the 360, so yeah, I don't know. Will await confirmation.
I still think it makes more sense if it was for the 360 - usually multiplatform releases sell better on the 360 than the PS3 just from base size alone.

Otherwise it's very interesting if the PS3 version beats the 360 version.

xbhaskarx

GhaleonEB said:
YoY change:

WII --- 147.9%
NDS -- 103.5%
360 --- 34.3%
PS3 --- (24.5%)
PSP --- (25.1%)
PS2 --- (61.7%)

Nintendo more that doubling. 360 growing well. Playstation Family is not doing so hot...

Ouch. Luckily for Sony, things probably couldn't get any worse than the last few months.

botticus

Brakara said:
Wii sales are approx. 100k more than Nintendo's sales tracking.

17l.jpg
That chart only covers the first three weeks of NPD's January (December was 5 weeks). At 679k, they sold around 200k the last week of January.

m3k

year on year comparisons are a bit crazy... nintendos happy but how long can these numbers continue? its becoming blase :lol

sprocket

Banned
its funny 360 fanboys want to go at the ps3 fanboys but cant really go too hard because the Wii is whooping their ass. :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Brakara said:
Wii sales are approx. 100k more than Nintendo's internal sales tracking.

17l.jpg
Nintendo week 2 = NPD week 1

We don't know what Nintendo tracked the Wii at week 5 (NPD week 4).

Nintendo is really making the industry look healthier than it is. It's really one fat king and a bunch of dogs fighting for scraps :lol

Those Left 4 Dead sales are PHENOMENAL. I wish we knew how much it sold on Steam. Absolutely my most played game this year. Maybe GOTY 2008 in retrospect for me :D

Shinobi

Rapping Granny said:
console costs twice as much as competition sells less. MORE SHOCKING NEWS AT ELEVEN.

Didn't stop some 'experts' from conjuring up this gem of a chart a mere 7 months ago...

cnetchart495.jpg

...nor did it stop boat loads of people predicting that PS3 would eventually be number one even after "599" was uttered.

It's easy now for people to say in retrospect that PS3 doesn't have a hope of winning anything with the current price scales. Same thing is said now about DS tap dancing all over the PSP, even though many (myself included) believed PSP would beat DS soundly.

You live, you learn...I learnt my lesson and refused to make PS3 a favourite once the price was known. Others have been slow to come around. It takes simple facts like the string of NPD charts to make people see what's really going on.

I assume Sony's learnt their lesson now...but it looks good on 'em regardless.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just got confirmation that Mario Kart DS is in fact for the DS, not the 360 (lawl), though I preempted it a little in the OP via common sense. Asked about LOTR just to be sure, will probably be clarified momentarily.

You truly have to wonder what goes through the minds of 3rd party devs when they see Wii sales every month. I mean, they have to want some of that. They just have to.

Eventually they're going to realize the Wii is too profitable for them to be releasing garbage on it and complaining about it not selling. Thankfully it looks like this is changing in 2009, although most of the good games seem to be coming from Sega (as publisher but still)

TheOddOne

sprocket said:
its funny 360 fanboys want to go at the ps3 fanboys but cant really go too hard because the Wii is whooping their ass. :lol

Like it would be any different if the ps3 was on top of 360, right? :lol

markatisu

My god that is a LOT of Wii's! We knew it was going to be high but I dont think we figured almost 700k

Top 10 is pretty non-eventful although I am surprised to see LOTR for the PS3 as I did not think that game was very well received according to gaf

Brakara

botticus said:
That chart only covers the first three weeks of NPD's January (December was 5 weeks). At 679k, they sold around 200k the last week of January.

Why the fuck didn't you say this in the prediction thread? :lol

deepbrown

Fanboy: Funny that the Wii sells souble the 360, despite the 360 being cheaper. More funny that the PS3 keeps up with the 360, despite being twice as expensive.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
sprocket said:

Something, something, be a good sport and don't spit on their dying corpse.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
EviLore said:
Just got confirmation that Mario Kart DS is in fact for the DS, not the 360 (lawl), though I preempted it a little in the OP via common sense.

Well that about wraps it up for Nintendo's third party endeavours.

Rlan

NSMB and Mario Kart DS in the Jan Top 10, yet only Mario Kart Wii for Wii. Why isn't Super Mario Galaxy Selling to the masses?

Arde5643

Zoramon089 said:
You truly have to wonder what goes through the minds of 3rd party devs when they see Wii sales every month. I mean, they have to want some of that. They just have to.

Eventually they're going to realize the Wii is too profitable for them to be releasing garbage on it and complaining about it not selling. Thankfully it looks like this is changing in 2009, although most of the good games seem to be coming from Sega (as publisher but still)
If DS is of any indication - I predict it will be JP publishers who are releasing gems with Western publishers still mostly releasing Imaginez and shovelware lines.

Banned
deepbrown said:
Fanboy: Funny that the Wii sells souble the 360, despite the 360 being cheaper. More funny that the PS3 keeps up with the 360, despite being twice as expensive.

Losing by 106,000 is keeping up?

mr_bishiuk said:
The PS3 was designed to be much more expensive than its competitors, didn't stop Sony predicting dominince

Yeah, the PS3 was also meant to be much more powerful than the competition. I'm just not seeing it.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
sprocket said:
it's funny how ps3 fanboys keep bringing up wii every time ..

nah .. too easy.

Arde5643

deepbrown said:
KZmaskLBPSACKBOY-2.png

I'm seriously doing this out of respect - very very seriously out of respect.

sprocket

Banned
Zoramon089 said:

they are realizing now as every other dev goes out of business with the techy fanboy mentallity of more graphics == better games.

Top Bottom