• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Chobel

Complete spectrum of NPD hardware sales estimates:

PS4: 271K
XB1: 141K
3DS: ~97K
PS3: ~53.5K
WIU: 49K
360: ~48.5K
Vita: <17K

Really LTTP here. Other than PS4 which did somewhat OK, all other devices did really bad. The big AAA industry is not going to survive if this continues.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
I still think people are reading far too much into the next gen figures. My reading...

Any drop off is meaningless for PS4 as it is still supply constrained. The XB1 figures are troubling, very troubling as it appears they don't have the same issues.

Software sales will be partly driven by above, but then again... no new games of any significance were released. Software drop off after release, even for big titles, is huge. People will still be playing their launch games and waiting for the bigger Feb/Mar releases.

I don't think we will get a good feel for how well Sony is doing until well after Easter.

The "consoles are failing" crowd need to wise up. The sales for both are still very good and able to easily support the new generation. They are trending higher than any previous gen... But then again launching in November head-to-head has created a weird bubble of demand. It is still quite possible for this gen to outsell the last; no fat lady has sung.

All the talk sounds similar to the "false equivalency" chatter to try and paint everyone into the same shitty corner MS seems to be finding itself.

Still think April will be the point people can start making genuine estimates for long term success of any platform.

It desperately needs proper first party, big title exclusive support. But no way Sony will prioritize this at this point. Everything will be PS4.

I don't think anything would help at this point, to be honest. And I never thought I'd say this, but it's a damn shame. As someone who usually looks at portable gaming with complete disinterest, I have to admit some Vita games almost made me take the plunge. However, it's practically a dead system walking at this point, so I can't bring myself to do it. If only it had HDMI out, it would've been mine already...

As it is, I'll probably get it for cheap when it's discontinued. I'm terrible, I know.

They did everything they could software wise. I think perhaps it needs to have the Google Play store just .. there. Just on the device. That's what people want. I think its not the form factor of the phone, its that people's favourite games. It's a software issue as well as a hardware issue. Obviously its last ditch time. Tearaway at 3k doesn't cover two people's salary for a year.
Ummm... I think Tearaway sold whatever it could sell. It was up in sale in December over Nov and despite these pitiful sales, i am confident it wasn't a total loss for Sony. It wasn't even marketed or got any sort of ad in NA compared to EU, where it at least got a new ad.

That said, VITA sales are grave level bad and i would consider Sony latest push the last nail in the coffin for VITA. They will be done after that.

B.O.O.M

damn shame about vita...whoever is in charge of vita related operations in the SCEA needs to be sacked...there really is no excuse for any system to do this badly.

And correct me if I'm wrong but those 3ds numbers look absolutely horrid too

iori9999

Banned
damn shame about vita...whoever is in charge of vita related operations in the SCEA needs to be sacked...there really is no excuse for any system to do this badly.

And correct me if I'm wrong but those 3ds numbers look absolutely horrid too

I think the Vita is done for.. A shame because I love the handheld.. It even has better battery life than my 3DS..

Hopefully the sales smackdown that the PS4 is laying on the X1 drives Microsoft to really start bringing more value to the xbox. Then have Sony respond......then Microsoft counters.....on & on........consumers win!

Kinda the opposite of what happened to NFL games after EA Madden snatched up exclusive rights - R.I.P. NFL 2K

What would the sales numbers look like if MS kept their 24 hour check in.......drm policies etc.......yikes.

These two companies are at each others throats......I love it.

B.O.O.M

I think the Vita is done for.. A shame because I love the handheld.. It even has better battery life than my 3DS..

I think we will continue to get the games thanks to the support it receives in Japan. But SCEA is treating it like shit and it reflects in sales. The whole situation ticks me off a bit to be perfectly honest and is the reason why I don't care much for people like shuhei etc. A mishandled product from start to finish if I ever saw one

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Grimløck;100766354 said:
but vita means life.

Chi means death. It's meant to be ironic.

bigol

Really big difference between Ps4 and Xbox One sales
I don't see MS making a comeback unless something huge happens, now USA is Sonyland

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As said earlier in the thread, 3DS needs a price cut soon for the OG and the XL, and the 99.99 for 2DS around this Holiday season. But I'm wondering if we're going to see a new model this year, something resembling the DSi (specs a little upped, bigger focus on social functions, etc.etc.). I'd also start bundling it some FTP games, like tehrik suggested, in order to give a bigger value to the whole pack without impacting margins in a meaningful way.

sphinx

the piano man
I wouldn't doubt it if Sony gave them some incentive to keep Vita on shelves as well. It definitely is a product that should be pulled given its abysmal sales in the USA.

would you put Vita in the same line as, say, OUYA?

or what other handheld of the past aligns well with the Vita regarding its performance in the market?

BKK

Ugh.

Is there any precedent for a console / handheld being available in the three major regions and then pulled from one of them?

I can't imagine how it would work if games were still being announced and released for everywhere but the US. Would US mags / sites review PSN stuff that their readership couldn't access?

It's not that uncommon, the last Western Saturn game came only three years from launch, Official Sega Saturn Magazine continued to review import games for a while after.

Sega Master System last Japanese game was released in 1989, US in 1991, Europe in 1996, and Brazil in 1998.

PC-Engine/Turbografx dropped in US in 1993, but went on much longer in Japan (last game released in 1999).

I'm sure there's many more, those are just off of the top of my head.

Of course, those are all pre-internet. With online retailers and digital stores it probably isn't necessary to completely drop a product in one region that is still viable in another region. SeeX360 in Japan for example.

As said earlier in the thread, 3DS needs a price cut soon for the OG and the XL, and the 99.99 for 2DS around this Holiday season. But I'm wondering if we're going to see a new model this year, something resembling the DSi (specs a little upped, bigger focus on social functions, etc.etc.). I'd also start bundling it some FTP games, like tehrik suggested, in order to give a bigger value to the whole pack without impacting margins in a meaningful way.

3DS already is DSi model from the start.

2DS XL would be much nicer.

Evo_Nine

Banned
Next gen console love affair dropped off very quickly.

Both systems need some big games....there is really no point in buying either system at the moment.

B.O.O.M

In the last few years, IIRC, sales went up for February and March, but then went down in April, even compared to March.

yeah that's what I thought ..makes sense too. People spend money in Nov and Dec so they spend less in Jan.Then Get tax refunds starting February so money to spend

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Eh, people were saying that last year too. I can't see how it would work. They'd need to pull it from shelves worldwide and I suspect the device is just on the right side of 'viable'.
I don't think Sony will allow that to happen. They're tossing up those tandem PS4 / Vita demo booths and I suspect it's just part of the deal at this point. You want to sell the PS4 yes? Then we aren't buying back your Vita stock. Just get it out the door and keep them both in stock. What else are the retailers gonna stock in their gaming corners? Xbox One and WiiU?

Meaning, Sony has the leverage to keep Vita on the shelves. The trouble, is getting them off. Maybe I'm shifting, maybe I don't know how retail works. But I'm confident it's more complicated than what doesn't sell gets pulled. Shelves across the nation would be excessively barren if that were the case.

Wow the 500 dollar price is starting to bite Microsoft in the ass. I guess they will bump up with titian fall and hope to keep at a decent level until they can price drop later this year.

Raziel

And people laughed when I said the new consoles would be selling sub 100k by April...

Actually, people laughed when you said they would faceplant out of the gate and sell sub 50:

I have a feeling a lot of people on here will look silly when PS4 and XBO fail to match the WiiU's 3 million consoles sold in it's first three months on the market and then we get sub 10k PS4 weekly sales in Japan and sub 50k console sales for each on NPD early next year..

And then laughed again, when you backtracked (more like completely revised history):

PS4 and Xbone were always going to do amazing numbers from Nov - Jan when all the hardcore gamers ran out to buy one but come Feb there will be a massive tail off in sales imo.

No one laughing about "new consoles selling sub 100k by April" that I can find.

How then do Nintendo make money? They cannot rely on the Wii U ecosystem and shitting on 3DS hardware margins will push Nintendo further into the red.

I think Nintendo need to face the music, their two latest consoles were shit compared to their previous entries and it's time to go back to the drawing board.

As Nirolak suggested very early in the thread, 2014 for a new handheld is where they need to be to get back to profitability. That QOL shit is just going to be a distraction unless Nintendo are realigning the business to health and fitness products completely (an avenue which makes a lot of sense from a business perspective).

Chinese companies can release dogshit Android tablets with more power than the 3DS, capacitive touch screens and 8GB of storage for $99 or less while still making money. It should not be difficult for Nintendo to get a 7" Nintendo-pad out there with physical controls for a $149 starting price and a 1024x768 resolution.

Tablet components are incredibly commoditised and Nintendo needs to take the big step of dumping hardware backwards compatibility as that is what hits their costs, every single time. The Wii U MCM is expensive to manufacture because Nintendo dedicate so much of their silicon budget to b/c.

Pushing down 3DS hardware margins is not the answer for a company which already loses money. The gain from extra software sales and licencing revenue is not there. The attach rate for the 3DS is much poorer than it was for the DS. For Nintendo to be sustainable in the short term they need to ensure they have healthy hardware profit margins portables and eliminate losses on Wii U hardware. That, IMO, rules out pricing action on hardware until November at least by then hopefully IBM will have shifted the Wii U to their 32nm process.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
January 2013, by jvm

Here are my personal estimates. :) Except in the cases where figures are known, rounded to the nearest 5K.

Xbox 360: 281K
PS3: 200K
3DS: 145K
Wii: 100K
NDS: 70K
WiiU: 57K
PSV: 35K
PSP: 10K
PS2: 0K

I should go see how painful my predictions were. :(

Weekly sales - January 2013 was a 5-weeks month

Xbox 360: 56,200
PS3: 40,000
3DS: 29,000
Wii: 20,000
NDS: 14,000
WiiU: 11,400
PSV: 7,000
PSP: 2,000
PS2: 0

Complete spectrum of NPD hardware sales estimates:

PS4: 271K
XB1: 141K
3DS: ~97K
PS3: ~53.5K
WIU: 49K
360: ~48.5K
Vita: <17K

Weekly sales (% YOY) - January 2014 was a 4-weeks month

PS4: 67,750
XB1: 35,250
3DS: 24,250 (-17%)
PS3: 13,375 (-67%)
WIU: 12,250 (+7,4%)
360: 12,125 (-78,5%)
Vita: < 4,250 (> -39%)

Jesus, PS3 and 360 collapsed like rocks. And...PS3 being higher than 360?
...Wii U higher than 360? What the...how O_O And Wii U is the only one up compared to last year (and probably it's all due to what happened with returns in 2013, from what it has been said)
Bad 3DS, but it's not that different, looking at weekly sales, than last year. At least...at least... ;_;

97K is quite a lot better than 84K and yet still abysmal for a system that hasn't reached 3 years old. It's less than the PSP was doing in like January 2010.

Yawnier

Banned
It's almost as if there is a completely separate company that is taking care of the Vita and PS4 when looking at how they are doing side and side, it's sort of unbelievable how catastrophically bad one is doing next to the other one but not really.

Also, wow at the Wii U outselling the 360 and the PS3 outselling them both (although not by a whole lot). The PS3 is truly just hitting it's stride in 2014, lol. I actually wonder how much the PS3's late gen exclusives helped it here? Anyways......

3DS sales aren't the greatest either, sub 100K doesn't look too good. Someone here already said this, and I can believe it is that a lot of the hardcore Nintendo crowd already bought a revision of the 3DS so a lot of it is up to the less hardcore crowd (casuals?) to carry hardware sales for the platform here on out.

Overall, it honestly looks like the market for these dedicated gaming platforms is just imploding onto itself. There is only one console there who's number I can be even remotely impressed with (PS4). It is really not looking too good when looking at the entire spectrum here.....

coldone

PS3 will continue to sell well in rest of regions as there is no PS+/Gold restriction.

PS4 would have big issue selling in countries like India, Brazil etc where people wont be willing to pony up $50 a year. Even though it is a great value, forcing PS+ was a bad idea outside of NA, EU.

Rocky

Banned
Hey guys, a serious question. Could the bad weather the US had in January have anything to do with the low sales? A good portion of the country were in subzero temperatures and snow for most of the month. Even the southern parts of the country like Florida and Texas were below freezing and snowy. Just curious.

I'm not even trying to parody JoeM86, I'm genuinely curious about this.

I don't know why people thought streaming was going to save the Vita.

It didn't save neither the Wii U or the Nivida shield and it won't save the Vita.

Most people simply don't care about streaming their PC/Console on a portable device. Even according to Sony themselves only 10% of Vita/PS4 owners tried it.

Top Bottom