• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2015 [PS4 #1, Nintendo Numbers, XB1 Minimum]

That makes it sound like Xbox One in January 2015 didn't outsell Xbox One in January 2014 by that much. Definitely interested to see the number.

Xbox One was $500 last January and now it's $350. Then we have last gen consoles that are starting to be dead and 3DS just before launch of new model. That revenue drop in hw sales was expected.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Post Mario Kart will be the biggest challenge, since it was pretty dire up until that launched.

Not that it wasn't dire afterwards, but decidedly less so.

Splatoon will rise victorious, just you wait Niro!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
we're one year into the new generation and hardware sales are down from year eight of the previous generation.

vesvci

Banned
PS4 on top again? Not surprising.

I honestly believe that MS cannot win month after month unless they give out a game or two away with the XBO. True price of the XBO should be $299. We'll see how long it will be before MS drops it to $299.

Also, great news for Dying Light. Great game.

Hotsuma

299.99 Xbox One bundle for E3 with a Surface pad, NFL tickets, two bags of popcorn and two free movie passes?

Ah well, I guess they'll just have to settle for remaining competitive in the US until whatever plans they have their next console come to light. They botched up pretty bad considering how good they did with Xbox 360. I do hope that Crackdown and Cuphead turn out to be ace games because those are the two I'm most interested in right now. Oh! And Screamcoaster.

Other than those two, I'll probably just play stuff on PC. There still isn't enough out there to make me buy another console unless the PS4 has some crazy deals like MS had (and I doubt that will happen).

CozMick

Banned

The Order 1886 wouldn't have change absolutely nothing on holiday 2014.

The entire reason the PS4 lost was due to the aggressive pricing strategy from Microsoft. And Sony will lose every holiday season if they don't fight the price war with the same intensity as Microsoft.

Sony will never ever need to match Microsoft's sales strategy when the worldwide gap is so large.

VinFTW

Hmm over 140k for Xbox One? damn good sales for them. Even with the price increase for half the month. Pretty surprised PS4 sold over 140k too, these consoles are really selling well.

Such a healthy market right now.

recent new xbone owners in the us. also we don't know how much more ps4 actually sold yet nor do we know actual numbers on software sales...might have been pretty close in both regards.

there's not that big of a difference in install bases. and the larger pre-holiday ps4 install base probably already bought these games back in November and October.

makes sense. thanks :)

GTAV was third on the January PSN Sales chart so a fair amount of people bought it digital.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/02/09/playstation-store-januarys-top-sellers/

So more people bought digital on PS4 but physical on XBO, right?

Just goes to shoe how powerful Minecraft is, four years later and this game is still in the top five. And that was after alpha and beta, which were popular too.
I wouldn't be surprised if its in the top ten two years from now, too.

LOCK

Post Mario Kart will be the biggest challenge, since it was pretty dire up until that launched.

Not that it wasn't dire afterwards, but decidedly less so.

That is true. I expect a general increase over the year compared to last year, but no real solid bumps until a price cut or Zelda.

Derpyduck

Banned
Dumb MS deserves to lose stunting their takeover by going back to regular price.

Even with the adjusted price they're losing on the daily sales charts at Amazon. They need to provide more reasons to buy an Xbox One now, and they don't appear to have any exclusives to do that with until later in the year.

dakun

So Sony basically wins by default this generation. They don't release any big big games while MS is cutting price, putting out big exlusives (Halo MCC, Forza, SO) and all they get is two months not because of games but because of the price. I say that basically because the only reason Sony wins this month now is because Xbox One was the same price for long enough to not be able to sell enough. Nothing major changed software wise since last month.

aaronwt

Xbox was $500 in January 2014 and now it's 350-400

Isn't it still close to $500? The same Xbox One that was $500 in January 2014 is still around $500. But I guess it does include two games. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed: Unity.

The Xbox One Sku without Kinect is the one that is under $400. It didn't exist a year ago.

Isn't it still close to $500? The same Xbox One that was $500 in January 2014 is still around $500. But I guess it does include two games. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed: Unity.

The Xbox One Sku without Kinect is the one that is under $400. It didn't exist a year ago.

Yeah but no one is buying the more expensive one which is why revenue is down

CozMick

Banned
So Sony basically wins by default this generation. They don't release any big big games while MS is cutting price, putting out big exlusives (Halo MCC, Forza, SO) and all they get is two months not because of games but because of the price. I say that basically because the only reason Sony wins this month now is because Xbox One was the same price for long enough to not be able to sell enough. Nothing major changed software wise since last month.

Big exclusives and SO/forza don't belong in the same sentence in regards to sales.

Top Bottom