• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2015 [PS4 #1, Nintendo Numbers, XB1 Minimum]

Isn't it still close to $500? The same Xbox One that was $500 in January 2014 is still around $500. But I guess it does include two games. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed: Unity.

The Xbox One Sku without Kinect is the one that is under $400. It didn't exist a year ago.

Yes, there is still a kinect SKU. That said, I don't think that very many people are choosing that SKU.

ascii42

Hmm over 140k for Xbox One? damn good sales for them. Even with the price increase for half the month. Pretty surprised PS4 sold over 140k too, these consoles are really selling well.

Such a healthy market right now.

Eh... this was January 2008
Code:
Wii        X360      PS3       PS2        NDS        PSP    
274,000    230,000   269,000   264,000    251,000    230,000

KoopaTheCasual

Not that surprised at the hardware being down that much.

Both consoles have been heavily front loaded.
Nope, the drop for hardware sales revenue, is due to the massive drop in price from the XB1 ($500 --> $350)

That combined with not selling much more than last January, leads to a big contraction in revenue.

My guess is a lot of new Xbox one owners from the holidays buying games. Remember it outsold the ps4 but quite a bit those last two months
My guess also is that many of the PS4s recently sold included GTAV in the bundle, which would end up decreasing the game's sales in NPD.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Eh... this was January 2008
Code:
Wii        X360      PS3       PS2        NDS        PSP    
274,000    230,000   269,000   264,000    251,000    230,000

Good times for the PS3. Shame what happened afterwards.

And yes, it does show how the console market has changed a lot

Shit, you were serious. MS best spin has been reduced to outselling itself.

Yup haha. They also had a higher attach rate... which means PS4 probably sold more software, just Xbox One had more games purchased per console sold, which would probably make sense with all the bundling

kmax

ibhYNp8A3p8C24.gif

Everyone, on board!

vesvci

Banned
299.99 Xbox One bundle for E3 with a Surface pad, NFL tickets, two bags of popcorn and two free movie passes?

Haha....

Realistically, it should be $299 though. It still baffles me until this day, that MS charges $25 for the battery pack and $25 for headphones adapter.

Jamix012

Hardware down 26% should be setting off alarm bells honestly. It IS just January so I'm not going to go all doom and gloom, but if it continues then that is extremely worrying. Both Wii U and Xbox One are up also so 3DS, PS4 and last gen falls?

Edit: ah, down in revenue? I suppose the lower prices found on Xbox 1 and non PS4 consoles may attribute to that. Still...

HTupolev

With record January sales for Xbox One and more game sales per console than any other platform.
Microsoft's statements regularly feel like they're supposed to sound impressive if you don't read them carefully, but they always have that dubious "PR speak" flavour.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hardware down 26% should be setting off alarm bells honestly. It IS just January so I'm not going to go all doom and gloom, but if it continues then that is extremely worrying. Both Wii U and Xbox One are up also so 3DS, PS4 and last gen falls?

Why wouldn't 3DS sales be down YOY? Who were the people going out to buy a new 3DS XL when the new 3DS XL comes out next month?

It's revenue, not units sold that's down.

That XB1 drop from $500 to $350 is a big hit.

LOCK

It's down in revenue, we don't know about units yet (which I doubt is down YOY).

RexNovis

Banned
Wait, what? That's kind of surprising.

Destny has been selling best on XB1 for the past 4 months or so. Seems the Bungie brand association is still strong

As far as GTAV goes remember that PS4 had a GTAV and TLOU bundle available so many of the hardware sales likely included GTAV with them and would not be counted towards software sales numbers.

I will say that it's surprising just how many of the top 10 XB1 is leading sales in though. Clearly the hardware push from the holidays carried over a bit into January with software sales.

You didn't expect drops?
Mainstream consumers aren't exactly frothing for the boxes.

Aren't the XBO and PS4 sales still higher than any other console ever, save the Wii? I'd hardly call that nothing.

Also, this doesn't take into account digital games at all, a space that I suspect has grown significantly year-over-year.

Kilvin

Hmm I'm surprised Dying Light did as well as it did, it looked rather generic from the brief game play streams I was watching.

I'll have to give it another look.

Nope, the drop for hardware sales revenue, is due to the massive drop in price from the XB1 ($500 --> $350)

That combined with not selling much more than last January, leads to a big contraction in revenue.

It's about 20 million in less revenue compared to last January for the XBO before any additional sales start to reduce that number. That still leaves another 45 million

Hmm over 140k for Xbox One? damn good sales for them. Even with the price increase for half the month. Pretty surprised PS4 sold over 140k too, these consoles are really selling well.

Such a healthy market right now.

140k is not a lot of consoles. Even for January.

dakun

really? if you consider last January being just the 3rd month into the PS4/XB1 generation?

The PS4 was selling out everywhere last January. It was the hottest thing to get during it's first few months. A drop like that has to be expected, especially with last gen slowly dying

You mean the YoY figure? You recall Sony was selling them as fast as they could make them last year in Jan right?

Rajang

Big exclusives and SO/forza don't belong in the same sentence in regards to sales.

Isn't Forza quite a big franchise? Don't they usually sell around 5 million per game? And Sunset Overdrive was heavily marketed. I guess that game just doesn't have any appeal to the core audience of Xbox.

jelly

I don't think MS will go to 299 unless they are killing off a SKU for a slim revision.

They'll keep the promotions up, bundles, limp to E3, ride the hype and Win 10 train then get very generous for the Holidays. Sunset Overdrive/Forza Horizon 2 Xbox Ones Bundle at E3, $349.

N.Domixis

Banned
Cod and Minecraft will always sell more on xbox, those are no surprise. Ps4 will start leading in multis with batman and battlefield being advertised for it.

Top Bottom