• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2015 [PS4 #1, Nintendo Numbers, XB1 Minimum]

Kouriozan

Oh, that's what Iwata meant by "room for growth".
/s
Anyway, back to Sony dominating, the 2 weeks where Microsoft raised the price of Xbone might have something to do with it.

Isn't Forza quite a big franchise? Don't they usually sell around 5 million per game? And Sunset Overdrive was heavily marketed. I guess that game just doesn't have any appeal to the core audience of Xbox.

FH2 sold around 200-300k in its first month IIRC. Combined 360/X1

Jamix012

Why wouldn't 3DS sales be down YOY? Who were the people going out to buy a new 3DS XL when the new 3DS XL comes out next month?

Yeah I know the 3DS has an excuse but, especially when looking from a revenue standpoint, the 3DS dropping should have little impact on the overall market.

It's down in revenue, we don't know about units yet (which I doubt is down YOY).

You don't think it's down in units? That's pretty optimistic.

CozMick

Banned
Isn't Forza quite a big franchise? Don't they usually sell around 5 million per game? And Sunset Overdrive was heavily marketed. I guess that game just doesn't have any appeal to the core audience of Xbox.

Motorsport is a good seller. Horizon not so much.

Pretty sure SO was a poor seller in its launch month.

Freeman

Banned
Sony has everything to dominate 2015, they just need to a little more aggressive in the US during the holidays and they are set.

2015 lineup of games heavenly favors the PS4. If they sneak GT7 in 2015 and maybe one other big title later in year the gap will widen even more. That is not to mention what a price cut would do.

Links_fantasy

It's good to see Nintendo holding steady, not in the PS4 league but steady growth which should at least help them continue to be profitable. Hopefully the New 3DS spikes sales of that system as it really is a great handheld and it has a huge range of great games.

SpotAnime

Games that sold better on PS4 than Xbox One

Dying Light
Far Cry 4
FIFA 15

Games that sold better on Xbox One than PS4

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Grand Theft Auto V
NBA 2K15
Madden NFL 15
Destiny

Yeah, stunning how PS4 wins the month in hardware but loses in software. Those Xbox One owners sure do love their games. Razor and razorblade analogy appropriate here.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah, stunning how PS4 wins the month in hardware but loses in software. Those Xbox One owners sure do love their games. Razor and razorblade analogy appropriate here.

read carefully

"more game sales per console than any other platform"

Meaning, xbone could sell 10 consoles and 20 games (2:1 attach rate) ; ps4 could sell 30 consoles and 30 games (1:1 attach ratio). PR speak.

Bgamer90

Banned
2015 lineup of games heavenly favors the PS4.

Would say it depends on what someone's interested in. The lineups for both consoles are better than 2014 (especially for the PS4).

If they sneak GT7 in 2015 and maybe one other big title later in year the gap will widen even more. That is not to mention what a price cut would do.

I don't think GT7 will do much -- seems like racers outside of Mario Kart are becoming less popular here. Plus I think we would already see some info about GT7 if it was going to come out this year. Thinking it will be a 2016 game.

Kayant

That Shacknews link goes to a 404 error :|

Cached pages to save the day ;) - http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...streak-while-dying-light-topples-call-of-duty

In case people missed it

It's the start of a new year and Microsoft appears to be off to a fine start, as they have declared victory for the Xbox One in January. Microsoft's next-gen console continues to outsell the PlayStation 4, with Microsoft touting record January sales. The Xbox One's continued success is likely due in large part to the continued $349 promotion that was re-started for the latter half of the month.
There weren't a lot of new software contenders to shake up the top 10 this month, but there was one that was finally able to take Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare down a peg. Despite its best efforts to take down the zombie menace, Dying Light was able to topple Activision's monolith and send it to the #2 slot, as overall software sales doubled from January of last year. The rest of the Top 10 stands mostly pat, with Grand Theft Auto V, Super Smash Bros., and NBA 2K15 continuing to hang around. Check out the full Top 10 below.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Would say it depends on what someone's interested in. The lineups for both consoles are better than 2014 (especially for the PS4).

I don't think GT7 will do much -- seems like racers outside of Mario Kart are becoming less popular here. Plus I think we would already see some info about GT7 if it was going to come out this year. Thinking it will be a 2016 game.

seeing as how the crew sold the best out of everything...anything is possible lol

pixlexic

Banned
Why is that surprising? It's attach rate has been higher since launch. Just figures that with more consoles sold the software numbers would skyrocket as well.

usually a price drop just gives a period of high console sales. people actually buying more software after than the market leader is very surprising.

I'm Shocked Dying Light dethroned COD in January. COD has owned January NPDs over the last few years and Dying Light is the game to knock it off its perch. I liked Dying Light and it's good to have new IPs selling well.

Kinda shocked ps4 won the month, but it goes to show when the price is the same the market views the XBOX ONE as an inferior product.

ViciousDS

Banned
Techland really learned from Dead Island for Dying Light.....it really is a solid game and overall WAY better. Also didn't have insane performance issues that I was expecting. Can't wait to see them do maybe a sci-fi future parkour game....would be cool getting to spaceships and stuff.

Jamix012

really? if you consider last January being just the 3rd month into the PS4/XB1 generation?

The PS4 was selling out everywhere last January. It was the hottest thing to get during it's first few months. A drop like that has to be expected, especially with last gen slowly dying

You mean the YoY figure? You recall Sony was selling them as fast as they could make them last year in Jan right?

Last Gen "slowly dying" is an understatement. It fell off a cliff and despite some people not wanting cross gen that's not good for the industry. The same time into last gen the PS2 was selling over 200,000.

The PS4 did modest numbers last Jan. Yes it was because it wasn't supplied well, but one would expect it to increase from a supply limited situation into it's 2nd full year. Xbox One was a complete disaster, as was Wii U in Jan last year and the fact that the industry shrunk is extremely worrying IMO.

Last Jan had people questioning if consoles could survive in the same way they had been because the numbers were so awful, if the numbers here are actually worse then...

Top Bottom