• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

I'm just asking because I have seen posts suggesting SFV is going to be a complete bomb. Others just seems to think it will just be an underwhelming launch but not necessarily a complete bomb.

I think it'll do fine though.
Hmm really? I highly doubt it. Previews have been positive, its a new sf, it'll do fine

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
2 million shipped by the end of March is a very conservative goal given Mortal Kombat did that in around three months IIRC. Unless the game's sales are disastrous, they should be able to at least ship that much.

They kind of did with Dragon's Dogma Online, but I'm not sure if that's releasing overseas.
Online gaming does not interest me in the least, so this slipped me. But now that you mention it I remember reading of it.
I hope it's good and successful. Capcom needs and deserves some love and money for it.
Dragon's Dogma is such a nice game and a terrible time sink. Maybe I will write my first LTTP about it when I advanced a little more.

allan-bh

2 million shipped by the end of March is a very conservative goal given Mortal Kombat did that in around three months IIRC. Unless the game's sales are disastrous, they should be able to at least ship that much.

But is PS4/PC only.

Btw, SF is popular on PC?

Jigorath

Banned
Street Fighter V, Far Cry Primal, and Fire Emblem Fates should all chart in February.

Digimon, I doubt it (though it'd be nice).

I'm thinking the top 3 will be Far Cry Primal, SFV, and CoD.

Also I'm lowering what I think SVF will do to around 550k

550k seems a bit high for Street Fighter. How did IV launch?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But is PS4/PC only.

Btw, SF is popular on PC?
It was at about 500K a few years ago and is at 670K now, but it had a free weekend so it might be mildly inflated from people who never logged into Steam again after playing it during said weekend.

I imagine cross play will help though.

Is rainbow 6 siege good?

Yes--very.

gyIHoAf.gif

XClJZI2.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I understand the skepticism around Street Fighter having the same sales potential seven years later, but it has to fall a pretty long way to not make 2 million shipped worldwide.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I've read all the past pages, and...yes: you can't just reduce the success / insuccess of a platform to a single, specific factor / series of factors. It's an exaggerated oversimplification of what actually consists of several factors / types of factors that, all together, influence the market way more than each of them individually. Saying that PS4's success in US is only due to Microsoft initial fuck-ups is wrong. Or better, it brings down the conversation to a way too immature level, discussion-wise. Now, saying that PS4's success has been influenced (even majorly) by MS's fuck-ups is a much better and more correct statement. Insuccesses of some parties surely create advantages, windows of opportunities for other parties, but it's also true that those other parties who have the chance to gain important shares of a market must act accordingly, put into work the right strategy to hit the market and really take the opportunities in the best way possible. And Sony, more or less, is doing that. It's true, first party exclusive titles have been slow to come so far (even if 2016 seems to be - thanks to delays too, but still - a good year on that front), but Sony acted with third party partnerships / exclusives / first on games, good / great advertising, quite laser-focused on the YMA audience to be honest, right against the same audience MS is trying to go for. Also, it's a pity to see not so much focus on other audiencies, and I think this could hurt them - as well as the rest of the "traditional" industry - in the long run; or, better put, it could harm their chances to reach even bigger installed basee / software sales, but the recent LEGO exclusive content are a start of some sort, and it's undeniable that, while very laser-focused, Sony efforts have been very good and more varied than MS's efforts (yep, the total amount of games and wide catalogue of genres and styles matter, after all). In the same way, 360's big success in US wasn't just due to Sony's fuckups. Or Nintendo's major failure with Wii U isn't only to pin on Apple's ability to steal the audience from Nintendo. Successes and insuccesses depend on several reasons, of different kinds.

Also, CosmicQueso's post was illuminating. MS's earlier plans for DRMs and used games were already very confused, but the fact not even a big part of 3rd parties and retailers were informed before the official announcement is shocking. The success really got in their heads, and they got a deserved negative response for both the way they delivered the message and what the message was, after all.

I don't want to comment that much on Muclair/other relevant past users' drama. I'll just say that I'm...not that happy (yeah, let's say so), going by what I've read as explanation of what happened, and for several reasons. Nothing else. :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I understand the skepticism around Street Fighter having the same sales potential seven years later, but it has to fall a pretty long way to not make 2 million shipped worldwide.

Oh, they're going to ship 2 million worldwide regardless. If there's any franchise Capcom is not afraid of stuffing the channel with it's SF. That's how the 3DS version ended up with such high sales in the end.

johnny956

I've kind of been surprised at how slow the uptake in the MMO lite genre has been.

While I'm sure more are in development, Destiny and The Division are still the only announced ones and even the co-op/online loot genre on consoles only extends to Borderlands, Diablo, and XenoVerse beyond those two.

Pretty much every game in that genre has been a gigantic hit relative to what they are to boot. XenoVerse, the worst selling of them, is a strong competitor for best selling Namco franchise at 3.14 million shipped and it hasn't even hit bottom basement pricing yet.

I guess this is a genre very few AAA developers have any experience with though. Across the years even regular AAA WRPGs have been few and far between despite their success across decades of time.

If division ends up being super successful (which I imagine it will be) I could see EA and other developers start pushing that genre.

Mory Dunz

At the very least i actually think it will make the 10th spot. Devs seem happy at least they made a thank you video.

I'd be pretty surprised if m&L couldn't get the 10 spot in January but Digimon does in a stronger February?
Aren't sf, far cry, and uncharted coming out? Wait is uncharted February?

Maybe a better question is if FE will chart? Even then I'm not sure.

onQ123

Gaming still the main reason to buy a consoles.Of course some would use him just for streaming but their no way you could proof that they are a huge group.
Ps4 is less expensive then PS3 and had a better launch games so many people bought PS4 earlier and XboxOne is starting to less worse than Xbox360.
In the end of the gen I expect PS4+XboxOne sales to be close to PS3+Xbox360.

Most people bought PS3 & Xbox 360 just a few years before Xbox One & PS4 released & Microsoft MAU numbers show that there is still a lot of people still using Xbox Live on Xbox 360 because it's only ~19 million Xbox Ones on the market but 48 million MAU. remember that not all Xbox One & Xbox 360 gamers are connected to the internet so that 48 million is just a % of the Xbox 360 gamers still using the console.

PS4 & Xbox One have already sold ~ 60 million in just over 2 years that's over 1/3 of the Xbox 360 + PS3 user base already & over 1/2 of the Xbox 360 & PS3 user base came in the 3 years before the new consoles was released so I doubt if 1/3 of the Xbox 360/PS3 user base have moved on already when 1/2 of them just bought the Xbox 360/PS3.

Wait, there are people now arguing that the PS4 is only being sold to PS360 owners and not new gamers? All of a sudden gaming lives in a vacuum? All of a sudden we forget what our "first console" was? All of a sudden we forget that tons of people last gen said the 360/Wii/PS3 was their FIRST CONSOLE, or the gen before that, or the gen before that?

Man listen. lol

It's some people who really believe that Microsoft is responsible for PS4 success even though it has already sold about 1/2 of what Xbox 360 sold the whole last generation. There is also people who think that most of the 100 million Wii owners just rode off into the sunset & are not buying any other consoles.

I'd be pretty surprised if m&L couldn't get the 10 spot in January but Digimon does in a stronger February?
Aren't sf, far cry, and uncharted coming out? Wait is uncharted February?

Maybe a better question is if FE will chart? Even then I'm not sure.
Uncharted is april.
February has-

Digimon cs
SfV
Far cry primal
PvsZ2
Neptunia 7
Am i missing any retail?
Edit: O naruto uns4 this one is definitely charting

Mory Dunz

Uncharted is april.
February has-

Digimon cs
SfV
Far cry primal
PvsZ2
Neptunia 7
Am i missing any retail?
Edit: O naruto uns4 this one is definitely charting
Oh thought it was February for some reason. Did it get delayed?

Is Naruto a lock to chart? Does it usually? Well I guess it depends on what the likely cutoff for 10 place is for February.

Most people bought PS3 & Xbox 360 just a few years before Xbox One & PS4 released & Microsoft MAU numbers show that there is still a lot of people still using Xbox Live on Xbox 360 because it's only ~19 million Xbox Ones on the market but 48 million MAU. remember that not all Xbox One & Xbox 360 gamers are connected to the internet so that 48 million is just a % of the Xbox 360 gamers still using the console.

PS4 & Xbox One have already sold ~ 60 million in just over 2 years that's over 1/3 of the Xbox 360 + PS3 user base already & over 1/2 of the Xbox 360 & PS3 user base came in the 3 years before the new consoles was released so I doubt if 1/3 of the Xbox 360/PS3 user base have moved on already when 1/2 of them just bought the Xbox 360/PS3.

dude you're really reaching now, ps3 has always sold much faster then 360, the only reason it kept up with cause it got a huge boost from kinect. don't forget ps3 also launched late in europe, missing the holiday's in it's best selling region, and it was way over priced so many people wanting a playstation console waited till the price was reasonable. really though ps3 and 360 are 8 years old, there ancient tech, and the age that most people are tech savvy, and people upgrade there phone every year, why are you surprised that there was so much pent up demand for new consoles. consoles are selling as the same pace as the ps2 era, what's so astonishing about that?

small44

It's some people who really believe that Microsoft is responsible for PS4 success even though it has already sold about 1/2 of what Xbox 360 sold the whole last generation. There is also people who think that most of the 100 million Wii owners just rode off into the sunset & are not buying any other consoles.

Does Xbox live allow more than 1 account for persons and I don't think it's weird that people play both old consoles and new consoles.And last post explained why current gen sale is higher than then last gen.

It's not possible that Wii gamers went to PS4,if it was the case we would see casuals games selling very well on PS4.

joecanada

I've read all the past pages, and...yes: you can't just reduce the success / insuccess of a platform to a single, specific factor / series of factors. It's an exaggerated oversimplification of what actually consists of several factors / types of factors that, all together, influence the market way more than each of them individually. Saying that PS4's success in US is only due to Microsoft initial fuck-ups is wrong. Or better, it brings down the conversation to a way too immature level, discussion-wise. Now, saying that PS4's success has been influenced (even majorly) by MS's fuck-ups is a much better and more correct statement. Insuccesses of some parties surely create advantages, windows of opportunities for other parties, but it's also true that those other parties who have the chance to gain important shares of a market must act accordingly, put into work the right strategy to hit the market and really take the opportunities in the best way possible. And Sony, more or less, is doing that. It's true, first party exclusive titles have been slow to come so far (even if 2016 seems to be - thanks to delays too, but still - a good year on that front), but Sony acted with third party partnerships / exclusives / first on games, good / great advertising, quite laser-focused on the YMA audience to be honest, right against the same audience MS is trying to go for. Also, it's a pity to see not so much focus on other audiencies, and I think this could hurt them - as well as the rest of the "traditional" industry - in the long run; or, better put, it could harm their chances to reach even bigger installed basee / software sales, but the recent LEGO exclusive content are a start of some sort, and it's undeniable that, while very laser-focused, Sony efforts have been very good and more varied than MS's efforts (yep, the total amount of games and wide catalogue of genres and styles matter, after all). In the same way, 360's big success in US wasn't just due to Sony's fuckups. Or Nintendo's major failure with Wii U isn't only to pin on Apple's ability to steal the audience from Nintendo. Successes and insuccesses depend on several reasons, ]

Yes this pretty much sums it up. My point still stands that Sony has achieved fairly consistent sales all along, so far ps3 is a slight downward blip if anything. Competition from 360 and Wii together with high price probably accounted for some of that, but it's pretty stable sales over a long period. Ps4 sales aren't really an anomaly if you look over time

onQ123

dude you're really reaching now, ps3 has always sold much faster then 360, the only reason it kept up with cause it got a huge boost from kinect. don't forget ps3 also launched late in europe, missing the holiday's in it's best selling region, and it was way over priced so many people wanting a playstation console waited till the price was reasonable. really though ps3 and 360 are 8 years old, there ancient tech, and the age that most people are tech savvy, and people upgrade there phone every year, why are you surprised that there was so much pent up demand for new consoles. consoles are selling as the same pace as the ps2 era, what's so astonishing about that?

Like I said over half of the Xbox 360 & PS3 user base came from 2010 to 2013 so the wait for PS4 & Xbox One wasn't that long for them & they haven't all rushed out to get the new consoles. The people buying PS4 is not just Xbox 360 & PS3 owners who wanted a new console.

Does Xbox live allow more than 1 account for persons and I don't think it's weird that people play both old consoles and new consoles.And last post explained why current gen sale is higher than then last gen.

It's not possible that Wii gamers went to PS4,if it was the case we would see casuals games selling very well on PS4.

Seeing that the Wii came out almost 10 years ago & people don't stick to the same type of games as they get older. Also just because you played Just Dance or whatever when you had a Wii don't mean that's what you're going to play when you have a PS4.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Shenmue

Banned
Yes, but that wasn't what really pushed the issue.

Once the announce hit, it took most people by surprise. Consumers weren't the only ones surprised by the conference and the policies. No real prep was done with retail or 3rd parties (I'm sure some people knew, but it took most people by surprise). What happened next was quite amazing. Flurries of phone calls, meetings, all around how the heck to set up these used game activation codes and policies. Basic questions like who was responsible for getting used game sellers the activation codes their customers would need to activate used games, how would pubs set up the back end support to track all these codes, what costs would be involved and who would pay for things like printing...

And the position of the biggest used games retailer basically was "give us free codes for our customers or we're not buying your products." So then what can you do? If you give the biggest retailer free activation codes for your used products or they don't carry your product then you have to give free activation codes to all used retailers. Problem is, someone had to pay for the codes, which were going to basically cost a reduced royalty fee. Who was going to do that? Were publishers now going to pay $5 to MS every time a customer bought a used game at the world's biggest retailer of used games product? How would those codes be tracked? Would each game now need a SKU specifically for used game activation codes?

The whole idea was cursed from jump street. It was never going to fly. No one thought through the actual implementation of the idea. How it would actually work at store level. I mean, it's shocking that the reveal went out the way it did in that so little homework was done to make sure the whole idea was workable to begin with.

All the preorders and the consumer sentiment? That was just icing.

Thank you for the very enlightening information.

It's all so crazy. It's like they were interrupted in the middle of a spitballing session and decided to just announce the leading idea that was on the whiteboard at the time.

I think this lends even more credence to the then commonly held belief that there was in fact no family sharing plan in place.

Why do you say that?

Game is lacking in content compared to other fighting games. The roll-out plan isn't really going to do the game favors unless reviewers re-review it at a later date (and I don't even think that has much of an impact on sales).

I don't think reviews going to matter than much .
Still even if SFV don't open that big i expect to have a good legs on DD.
Over the years .

For sure. Doubt it effects the core at all. I suppose with SFV, we'll see how big the core truly is.

High 80 or 90.

Why do you think It will get lower scores?

I'm pegging it at mid 70's personally.

With a game like this, the actual gameplay is irrelevant to most reviewers (lets be honest, who actually trusts reviewers to review fighting games?) It's all about content and SFV appeals to the online warrior/core crowd with it's feature set.

I have a really tough time seeing that. The reviews are going to be pretty brutal for the game too.

Based on what? Lack of a few modes at launch? Reviews are going to be very positive based on the media coverage I have been seeing.

Edit - just saw your reasoning. You're crazy...and wrong. Mid 80s at worst.

Based on what? Lack of a few modes at launch? Reviews are going to be very positive based on the media coverage I have been seeing.

Maybe it's the pessimist in me. I pretty much see reviewers comparing SFV to MKX and roasting it alive.

Gameplay be damned these days. But honestly, I don't expect good reviews to move much of SFV either way.

Edit: In regards to your edit, I'd love to be wrong. :p

Top Bottom