• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

Intrigue

Banned
There was that pretty strange win for XB1 last year in April though so I wouldn't make any conclusions right now -- especially based on January.

I agree that the PS4 will take the majority of months this year (though that's a safe bet obviously).

True we could I guess make the conclusion that since it lost on home turf during the only months that matters (according to MSFT), they might not ever win again.

hawk2025

The focus on "taking a month" here and there is pretty pointless.

The relevant measure should be how big the gaps typically are and what that implies for market shares.

small44

Like I said over half of the Xbox 360 & PS3 user base came from 2010 to 2013 so the wait for PS4 & Xbox One wasn't that long for them & they haven't all rushed out to get the new consoles. The people buying PS4 is not just Xbox 360 & PS3 owners who wanted a new console.

Seeing that the Wii came out almost 10 years ago & people don't stick to the same type of games as they get older. Also just because you played Just Dance or whatever when you had a Wii don't mean that's what you're going to play when you have a PS4.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

You will play games similar to Just Dance.
Wii best selling games are casuals games and PS4 are hardcore games that proof that they don't attract the same audience.

Welfare

It continues. This was posted back in the December thread, but a new addition with 2015/16. This comparison will be going from December (5 weeks) to January (4 weeks, but 5 every few years).

Code:
2010 (December)/11 (January)

Xbox 360 December: 1860K / 5 = 372,000
Xbox 360 January: 381K / 4 = 95,250

Weekly average down 74%

PS3 December: 1210K / 5 = 242,000
PS3 January: 267K / 4 = 66,750

Weekly average down 72%

Wii December: 2360K / 5 = 472,000
Wii January: 319K / 4 = 79,750

Weekly average down 83%

Code:
2011/12

Xbox 360 December: 1700K / 5 = 340,000
Xbox 360 January: 270K / 4 = 67,500

Weekly average down 80%

PS3 December: 950K / 5 = 190,000
PS3 January: 195K / 4 = 48,750

Weekly average down 74%

Wii December: 1060K / 5 = 212,000
Wii January: 152K / 4 = 38,000

Weekly average down 82%

Code:
2012/13 (January 2013 is a 5 week month. Only happens once in awhile)

Xbox 360 December: 1400K / 5 = 280,000
Xbox 360 January: 281K / 5 = 56,200

Weekly average down 80%

PS3 December: 635K / 5 = 127,000
PS3 January: 200K / 5 = 40,000

Weekly average down 69%

Wii December: 475K / 5 = 95,000
Wii January: 100K / 5 = 20,000

Weekly average down 79%

Wii U December: 460K / 5 = 92,000
Wii U January: 57K / 5 = 11,400

Weekly average down 88%

Code:
2013/14

Xbox 360 December: 643K / 5 = 128,600
Xbox 360 January: 48K / 4 = 12,000

Weekly average down 91%

Xbox One December: 908K / 5 = 181,600
Xbox One January: 141K / 4 = 35,250

Weekly average down 81%

PS3 December: 299K / 5 = 59,800
PS3 January: 53K / 4 = 13,250

Weekly average down 78%

PS4 December: 863K / 5 = 172,600
PS4 January: 271K / 4 = 67,750

Weekly average down 61%

Wii December: 150K / 5 = 30,000
Wii January: 10K / 4 = 2,500

Weekly average down 92%

Wii U December: 481K / 5 = 96,200
Wii U January: 49K / 4 = 12,250

Weekly average down 87%

Code:
2014/15

Xbox 360 December: 309K / 5 = 61,800
Xbox 360 January: 39K / 4 = 9,750

Weekly average down 84%

Xbox One December: 1297K / 5 = 259,400
Xbox One January: 150K / 4 = 37,500

Weekly average down 86%

PS3 December: 174K / 5 = 34,800
PS3 January: 34K / 4 = 8,500

Weekly average down 76%

PS4 December: 1065K / 5 = 213,000
PS4 January: 189K / 4 = 47,250

Weekly average down 78%

Wii December: 29K / 5 = 5,800
Wii January: 8K / 4 = 2,000

Weekly average down 66%

Wii U December: 575K / 5 = 115,000
Wii U January: 63K / 4 = 15,750

Weekly average down 86%

Code:
2015/16

Xbox 360/PS3/Wii = DEAD AND BURIED 

Xbox One December: 1376k / 5 weeks = 275,200
Xbox One January: 132k / 4 weeks = 33,000

Weekly average down 88%

PS4 December: 1582k / 5 weeks = 316,400
PS4 January: 230k / 4 weeks = 57,500

Weekly average down 82%

Wii U December: 463k / 5 weeks = 92,600
Wii U January: 40k / 4 weeks = 10,000

Weekly average down 89%

Conduit

Banned
9ncjXcf.png

Not bad.

[3DS] 120K
[PS4] 230K
[WIU] 40K
[XB1] 170K

Any figures for 3DS?

Bgamer90

Banned
That would be much much better than how the PS2 performed against the OGBox.

But yeah, pretty big gap.

Wasn't the original Xbox at around 25 million and the PS2 at 105 million in 2006?

Anyway, I think things will pretty much stay around 2:1 so I could definitely see PS4 at 90-100 Million and Xbox One at 45-50 Million when the gen gets replaced.

(Edited)

PS4 having such a big gap on X1 would be worst in a way comapre to the PS2 era .
Because 1 they came out the same time and 2 XBOX is suppose to be much stronger brand than then .
Either way don't think PS4 will beat X1 like PS2 beat XBOX in USA.

donny2112

Thanks a ton, creamsugar!!! (^o^)

If the PS4 is 227k (+20% YOY)

XB1: 130K
WIU: 40K

Since we're dealing with a lot of fluff in trying to determine this, I'm thinking for predictions to go with

PS4 - 230K
XB1 - 130K
WIU - 40K

Nearest 5K and all. 3DS good at 70K? 65K better? Anyone?

Massa

The focus on "taking a month" here and there is pretty pointless.

The relevant measure should be how big the gaps typically are and what that implies for market shares.

Overall it's a great thing for the industry the gap was nearly 2x this month. I don't think publishers would be able to satisfy the more valuable consumers if there were too many of them.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Love the charts, Square2005.

Guess we can put those PS2/PS4 comparisons to bed ... the PS2 took off in its 27th month and the PS4 hasn't in the same way.

onQ123

You will play games similar to Just Dance.
Wii best selling games are casuals games and PS4 are hardcore games that proof that they don't attract the same audience.

I never said all the Wii owners are buying the PS4 I said the type of people who bought the Wii are also buying the PS4 & it's not just Xbox 360 / PS3 owners buying the console.

donny2112

There were core gamers on Wii. They probably owned a 360 and/or PS3 last gen, as well. Makes total sense that some of those would own a PS4 this gen. May own a Wii U and/or XB1, too.

Both GTA and GT had been out by then, the best selling franchises of the PS2.

More importantly, PS2's 27th month was December. That's going to be miles and miles away a bigger month than PS4's 27th month being a January.

joeblow

Anyway, I think things will pretty much stay around 2:1 so I could definitely see PS4 at 90-100 Million and Xbox One at 45-50 Million when the gen gets replaced.

If PS4 maintains a 2:1 lead in the U.S. territory, then all other regions in the world (other than the U.K.) would logically split much further apart between the two than that.

We're not halfway through the (usually) traditional 5-year cycle yet and it is already 2:1 WW, so if your prediction for NPD sales holds up, expect the gap to be a lot larger by the time 2019 rolls around.

BTW, I don't think 2:1 in the U.S. will be the norm like it is this time around, but even a 50% difference between the two on a monthly average for a year is significant.

Bgamer90

Banned
If PS4 maintains a 2:1 lead in the U.S. territory, then all other regions in the world (other than the U.K.) would logically split much further apart between the two than that.

We're not halfway through the (usually) traditional 5-year cycle yet and it is already 2:1 WW, so if your prediction for NPD sales holds up, expect the gap to be a lot larger by the time 2019 rolls around.

BTW, I don't think it'll be 2:1 in the U.S. like it is this time around, but even a 50% difference between the two on a monthly average for a year is significant.

I was talking about worldwide. Yeah, it's definitely not going to be 2:1 in the U.S..

This current gen in the U.S. is the closest for two consoles since the 16 bit gen (SNES vs. Genesis). I think the gen will end with the PS4 doing > 2.5 million better than the Xbox One in the U.S.; But nothing more than a 40/60 split.

Love the charts, Square2005.

Guess we can put those PS2/PS4 comparisons to bed ... the PS2 took off in its 27th month and the PS4 hasn't in the same way.

PS2 launched in October, Ps4 November. So month 27 is PS2s December. Obviously PS4 needs a killer year to keep up, but maybe uncharted, GT, and VR launching can boost sales outside Christmas.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I was talking about worldwide. Yeah, it's definitely not going to be 2:1 in the U.S..

This current gen in the U.S. is the closest for two consoles since the 16 bit gen (SNES vs. Genesis). I think the gen will end with the PS4 doing < 2.5 million better than the Xbox One in the U.S..

Am I reading this right? Are you saying that the PS4 will have a less than 2.5m lead in the US by the end of this generation? If no, then could you fill me in on what you mean? If yes, then I think it'll have that lead by the end of 2016.

small44

I never said all the Wii owners are buying the PS4 I said the type of people who bought the Wii are also buying the PS4 & it's not just Xbox 360 / PS3 owners buying the console.

What is the percentage of Wii owners who switched to PS4 in your opinions.And what are they possibly play on it?

This current gen in the U.S. is the closest for two consoles since the 16 bit gen (SNES vs. Genesis). I think the gen will end with the PS4 doing < 2.5 million better than the Xbox One in the U.S.; Nothing more than a 40/60 split.

PS4 is already at 1.4 million with a lot of more software to come out where it going to have the edge .
And we only now 26 month into the gen , 2.5 million lead by gen end seem low .

Elandyll

Banned
Bgamer might count on MS making up some of their lost ground during the year in the Holiday period, 2014' style. But I don't think we're going to see that happen anymore.
And if they do happen to take a Holiday, it will be nowhere near that much imo.

Talking 2016 specifically, as I predicted, I think that unless we see something out of left field happen, it'll be a very bad year for the XB1.

Bgamer90

Banned
Am I reading this right? Are you saying that the PS4 will have a less than 2.5m lead in the US by the end of this generation? If no, then could you fill me in on what you mean? If yes, then I think it'll have that lead by the end of 2016.

PS4 is already at 1.4 million with a lot of more software to come out where it going to have the edge .
And we only now 26 month into the gen , 2.5 million lead by gen end seem low .

Yeah, typo on my part. Meant greater than 2.5 million but nothing more than a 40/60 split (hence why I mentioned it in my post).

I don't think it will get to 2.5 million this year yet but it's possible.

Bgamer90

Banned
Bgamer might count on MS making up some of their lost ground during the year in the Holiday period, 2014' style. But I don't think we're going to see that happen anymore.
And if they do happen to take a Holiday, it will be nowhere near that much imo.

I can see them making up some ground if they release a slim bundle alongside the Holiday season. Nothing enough to make up whatever the gap will be within that Holiday period itself though.

LifEndz

Happy for Siege. Hopefully Ubi decides to pour more resources into it and give us a 4-player co-op campaign mode along with the multiplayer for the sequel. I'm holding out for the GOTY edition because I just don't think it's worth 59.99.

Still no creamsugar for this coffee? WTH?

Bgamer90

Banned
Happy for Siege. Hopefully Ubi decides to pour more resources into it and give us a 4-player co-op campaign mode along with the multiplayer for the sequel. I'm holding out for the GOTY edition because I just don't think it's worth 59.99.

Yeah, I'm doing the same for Siege. I was really bummed out by the lack of single player-news after loving the Vegas games. Decided to hold off.

Check the last page. :p

What is the percentage of Wii owners who switched to PS4 in your opinions.And what are they possibly play on it?

I honestly don't understand how Wii owners switched to ps4 it's like a totally different audience, yes every successful console has people buy it just for streaming, impulse buy cause it's the cool console, or other reasons that don't relate to core gaming. I would estimate 75% of Wii sales were just casuals that bought it to play games that had motion control in them, like Wii fit and wii sports, but clearly it wasn't core gamers other wise, they would be buying the wiiu, because that the closest thing to the Wii experience.

allan-bh

Thanks a ton, creamsugar!!! (^o^)

Since we're dealing with a lot of fluff in trying to determine this, I'm thinking for predictions to go with

PS4 - 230K
XB1 - 130K
WIU - 40K

Nearest 5K and all. 3DS good at 70K? 65K better? Anyone?

Maybe our friend Queso can later give a hint if these console numbers are good.

About 3DS I think we are in the dark.

AniHawk

I honestly don't understand how Wii owners switched to ps4 it's like a totally different audience, yes every successful console has people buy it just for streaming, impulse buy cause it's the cool console, or other reasons that don't relate to core gaming. I would estimate 75% of Wii sales were just casuals that bought it to play games that had motion control in them, like Wii fit and wii sports, but clearly it wasn't core gamers other wise, they would be buying the wiiu, because that the closest thing to the Wii experience.

so the remaining 25 million users was a previously unheard of, ultra hardcore fanbase that each bought something like 20-25 games on average?

Fady K

Thanks a lot for the data creamsugar.

That Resident Evil origins number...not sure what to make of it. I guess cause most people picked up RE1HD a year ago they didn't need to pick Origins up huh?

So he favors one console, so what? That isn't surprising or even a detriment to lively debate. You are making too much of it.

Favoring one console over another is not a problem. As gamers, we have certain tastes and surely one console will appeal to us more than others based on our taste. That is fine and normal. Showing that bias during sales talk is something else entirely IMO and paints a different picture of their observations in such threads. Nothing more to it than that really, no offense intended to anyone of such nature, though it can be very easy to notice eventually.

so the remaining 25 million users was a previously unheard of, ultra hardcore fanbase that each bought something like 20-25 games on average?

Obviously people that bought the console mainly for the motion control gaming bought the causal games along with the nintendo friendly games that appeal to both core gamers and casual. Are we gonna say the games sold the wii cause if it was the games, which were mostly exclusive, you would expect to see those gamers want more, just like all the core games that sold consoles on 360/ps3, core market still want more and they continue to sell the nextgen consoles, just imagine if gtav or cod was exclusive to wiiu, one of those games would sell 30 million Wii u' alone. Instead the wiiu sales fell 85% compared to predecessor, nothing even comes close to fall like that, probably one of the fastest declines ever

Thanks a lot for the data creamsugar.

That Resident Evil origins number...not sure what to make of it. I guess cause most people picked up RE1HD a year ago they didn't need to pick Origins up huh?

Favoring one console over another is not a problem. As gamers, we have certain tastes and surely one console will appeal to us more than others based on our taste. That is fine and normal. Showing that bias during sales talk is something else entirely IMO and paints a different picture of their observations in such threads. Nothing more to it than that really, no offense intended to anyone of such nature, though it can be very easy to notice eventually.

You're definitely not the only one to notice. Especially when he was rocking a Sega avatar. It always seems to be the ones still harboring resentment from the Dreamcast era.

Top Bottom