• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

Fady K

Surprised with how little Paper Jam did...apparently they messed this one up bad compared to previous entries though i thought maybe it would have a strong debut before tailing off

You're definitely not the only one to notice. Especially when he was rocking a Sega avatar. It always seems to be the ones still harboring resentment from the Dreamcast era.

After reading his posts for many months I thought I was haha, again most of us may have a preferred console/handheld that suits our tastes though when we actually show that in our sales talk the bias makes it very different IMO.

Welfare

Too lazy to do the full January to February comparison just yet (will do it later today), but I'll give the Xbox One data as a sneak peak.

Code:

Xbox One January: 141K / 4 = 35,250
Xbox One February: 258K / 4 = 64,500

Weekly average up 83%

Code:

Xbox One January: 150K / 4 = 37,500
Xbox One February: 276K / 4 = 69,000

Weekly average up 84%

Code:

Xbox One January: 132K / 4 = 33,000

Xbox One in January has actually been consistent, surprisingly.

Too lazy to do the full January to February comparison just yet (will do it later today), but I'll give the Xbox One data as a sneak peak.

Xbox One January: 130K / 4 = 32,500

Xbox One in January has actually been consistent, surprisingly.

They really need a official price drop.

Intrigue

Banned
Wasn't the original Xbox at around 25 million and the PS2 at 105 million in 2006?

Anyway, I think things will pretty much stay around 2:1 so I could definitely see PS4 at 90-100 Million and Xbox One at 45-50 Million when the gen gets replaced.

(Edited)

I would be surprised to see it much over 40M myself, maybe 45M shipped =)

100M+ for PS4 tho seems very likely however.

nib95

Banned
Thanks a ton, creamsugar!!! (^o^)

Since we're dealing with a lot of fluff in trying to determine this, I'm thinking for predictions to go with

PS4 - 230K
XB1 - 130K
WIU - 40K

Nearest 5K and all. 3DS good at 70K? 65K better? Anyone?

Weren't PS4's more expensive than Xbox One's over January? What is the reason for the near 2:1 difference with the Xbox One?

onQ123

What is the percentage of Wii owners who switched to PS4 in your opinions.And what are they possibly play on it?

I wouldn't know I just know that PS4 is an 'It Product' like the PS2 & Wii before it & when you became the "It Product" you don't just sell to the same market that's already buying consoles.

PS4 is gonna hit 50 million this year without any game that you could point out as the reason for it's success.

I was talking about worldwide. Yeah, it's definitely not going to be 2:1 in the U.S..

This current gen in the U.S. is the closest for two consoles since the 16 bit gen (SNES vs. Genesis). I think the gen will end with the PS4 doing > 2.5 million better than the Xbox One in the U.S.; But nothing more than a 40/60 split.

PS4 went up by 100K just last month & probably will go up another 100K this month, we might be looking at 2 million sales gap by the end of the year not the end of the generation.

Bgamer90

Banned
Weren't PS4's more expensive than Xbox One's over January? What is the reason for the near 2:1 difference with the Xbox One?

COD bundle I guess. ::shoulder shrug::

Smaller number of consoles sold overall makes the "almost 2:1" easier too obviously.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
PS2 launched in October, Ps4 November. So month 27 is PS2s December. Obviously PS4 needs a killer year to keep up, but maybe uncharted, GT, and VR launching can boost sales outside Christmas.

But if PS4 were keeping up at all, it would have leapfrogged over the PS2 in the 26th month. But it didn't. It now looks like it's getting outpaced by quite a bit.

I wouldn't know I just know that PS4 is an 'It Product' like the PS2 & Wii before it & when you became the "It Product" you don't just sell to the same market that's already buying consoles.

PS4 is gonna hit 50 million this year without any game that you could point out as the reason for it's success.

Lol I'd wager everything I have that if ps3 launched at 349$-399$ and had most of the big third-party games exlusive like the ps2 era, it would have been the it product and sold around 130-140 million. Tell me again what the huge differnce between ps3 and ps4? Other then pricing? Easier to develop for, better advertising it's a console made for the core gamers. Tell me again who is the market that bought over 180 million ps3/360? Is that not mostly the core market.

AniHawk

Obviously people that bought the console mainly for the motion control gaming bought the causal games along with the nintendo friendly games that appeal to both core gamers and casual. Are we gonna say the games sold the wii cause if it was the games, which were mostly exclusive, you would expect to see those gamers want more, just like all the core games that sold consoles on 360/ps3, core market still want more and they continue to sell the nextgen consoles, just imagine if gtav or cod was exclusive to wiiu, one of those games would sell 30 million Wii u' alone. Instead the wiiu sales fell 85% compared to predecessor, nothing even comes close to fall like that, probably one of the fastest declines ever

wii hardware: 101 million units sold
wii software: 913 million units sold

the software:hardware ratio is better on the wii than any nintendo platform period aside from the gamecube. what you're suggesting with the numbers you provided was that 75 million users only really bought about five or six games (i'm guessing wii sports, wii sports resort, wii fit and/or wii fit plus, wii play, and mario kart wii) based on the motion control aspects.

so 5.5 * 75,750,000 = 416,525,000

that means there is a resulting 25,250,000 units of hardware had about 496,475,000 units of software moved with them, or about 19.66 units of software for each unit of hardware. this is twice that of the gamecube's attach ratio with a slightly bigger userbase. it would indicate a large and rabid enthusiasm for games on the wii.

or, maybe, the wii found a general, mainstream success where more than one audience found value in it and those audiences have moved on to other platforms, including platforms with dedicated hardware.

There was that pretty strange win for XB1 last year in April though so I wouldn't make any conclusions right now -- especially based on January.

I agree that the PS4 will take the majority of months this year (though that's a safe bet obviously).
Too many big games, japanese games as well. Just getting very unlikely for Xbox. The mundshsre is changing more and more.

I think if horizons is actually good, it will be out selling anything microsoft does. People aren't sold on halo and we'll see about gears.

Then vr and games... It could have a big impact on ps4 sales for 5 months or so.

With final fantasy, kingdom Hearts, tekken, personas yet to come. This gap will probably widen forcing some major changes in the Xbox camp.

Developers weren't sold on gaming, so it had taken a while to get this stuff out but it will eventually boost sales in us hopefully but definitely Japan and other world parts.

As far as your npd gap. I believe it depends on price.

Both need a 199 sku. Really don't need to follow the ps3 pricing time frame.

onQ123

Lol I'd wager everything I have that if ps3 launched at 349$-399$ and had most of the big third-party games exlusive like the ps2 era, it would have been the it product and sold around 130-140 million. Tell me again what the huge differnce between ps3 and ps4? Other then pricing? Easier to develop for, better advertising it's a console made for the core gamers. Tell me again who is the market that bought over 180 million ps3/360? Is that not mostly the core market.

I'm not even sure what you are getting at but PlayStation broke the mold & started selling outside of the core gamers & that's why it opened the market up beyond what Nintendo & Sega was able to do & the same happened with the PS2 , when the PS3 came out it was the Wii that was going outside of the core gamers & selling to everyday people, PS3/Xbox 360 started pulling these people in at the end of the generation when Kinect & PlayStation Move was released & the consoles was cheaper. This generation it's PS4 that's selling to everyday people & not just your typical core gamer.

Javin98

Banned
I guess my feelings were right. I knew it to be true.
I don't suppose you have any evidence to back up your "feelings" for this to be true? :p

Also, I think the gap between the two will be very close to 2.5 million by the end of the year. Just to be on the safe side now, I'd say 2.3 million. I don't think Microsoft will do another fire sale this holiday season. Something akin to last year's holiday season is what I'm expecting. The XB1 exclusives getting released on PC could be an indication that Microsoft is starting to lose interest in the console market and I doubt the XBox division will get much incentive for insane deals.

wii hardware: 101 million units sold
wii software: 913 million units sold

the software:hardware ratio is better on the wii than any nintendo platform period aside from the gamecube. what you're suggesting with the numbers you provided was that 75 million users only really bought about five or six games (i'm guessing wii sports, wii sports resort, wii fit and/or wii fit plus, wii play, and mario kart wii) based on the motion control aspects.

so 5.5 * 75,750,000 = 416,525,000

that means there is a resulting 25,250,000 units of hardware had about 496,475,000 units of software moved with them, or about 19.66 units of software for each unit of hardware. this is twice that of the gamecube's attach ratio with a slightly bigger userbase. it would indicate a large and rabid enthusiasm for games on the wii.

or, maybe, the wii found a general, mainstream success where more than one audience found value in it and those audiences have moved on to other platforms, including platforms with dedicated hardware.

The motion control games were the main selling factor there are a bunch of games not on the list you missed like most of Nintendo core games that parents bought for there kids since they already bought the console for the motion controls why not buy the family friendly games like zelda, 3D mario, 2d mario, and donkey Kong those games along sold like 50 million units.

Of course The wiiu did found success with people not really interested in gaming, it got them interested, just not enough to care for consoles or even buy those sequels of those games.

Nyoro SF

Isn't that the lowest start for M&L in NPD?

Also if we're asking for RPG totals, I'd like to add Cold Steel to the list... for both Vita and PS3 platforms.

Bgamer90

Banned
Too many big games, japanese games as well. Just getting very unlikely for Xbox. The mundshsre is changing more and more.

I think if horizons is actually good, it will be out selling anything microsoft does. People aren't sold on halo and we'll see about gears. Then vr and games... It could have a big impact on ps4 sales for 5 months or so.

With final fantasy, kingdom Hearts, tekken, personas yet to come. This gap will probably widen forcing some major changes in the Xbox camp.

I really don't think most Japanese oriented exclusives or Horizon is (since it's a new IP) is going to do much for PS4 sales in NPD this year. I feel that Uncharted, VR, and third party game bundles will do far more for PS4 NPD sales.

Both need a 199 sku. Really don't need to follow the ps3 pricing time frame.

Did you mean $299? If so I agree.

I'm not even sure what you are getting at but PlayStation broke the mold & started selling outside of the core gamers & that's why it opened the market up beyond what Nintendo & Sega was able to do & the same happened with the PS2 , when the PS3 came out it was the Wii that was going outside of the core gamers & selling to everyday people, PS3/Xbox 360 started pulling these people in at the end of the generation when Kinect & PlayStation Move was released & the consoles was cheaper. This generation it's PS4 that's selling to everyday people & not just your typical core gamer.

What your saying applies to every successful console, just not the (it) product, playstation wanted to make gaming for mature and they succeed by making games for accessible to a older audience.

Javin98

Banned
I really don't think most Japanese oriented exclusives or Horizon is (since it's a new IP) is going to do much for PS4 sales in NPD this year. I feel that Uncharted, VR, and third party game bundles will do far more for PS4 NPD sales.

Not that I disagree, but I think VR will be the wildcard out of the three. It has the potential to be a huge success, but it can also flop hard. I think the key factor in its success will be the pricing. If the headset is $299 like the rumours have it, then I think it will be quite successful and even move a sizable amount of PS4's.

Persona 5 and Kingdom Hearts II.8 Final Chapter Prologue will probably be the best-selling Japanese PS-exclusives in NPDs this year in my guesstimate.

AniHawk

The motion control games were the main selling factor there are a bunch of games not on the list you missed like most of Nintendo core games that parents bought for there kids since they already bought the console for the motion controls why not buy the family friendly games like zelda, 3D mario, 2d mario, and donkey Kong those games along sold like 50 million units.

but here's the thing: that indicates a different audience than the main one you're suggesting. kids playing family games isn't a new, casual audience that the wii tapped into. nintendo sold 7+ million of a zelda game before twilight princess, and they sold 29+ million of a 2d mario game before nsmbw and 10+ million of a 3d mario game before super mario galaxy.

i think you can easily, and correctly say that yes - there was an audience that bought the wii based on motion control accessibility and the software that demonstrated that aspect the best. it's the audience that found its way over to kinect in 2010 and 2011, and is currently on mobile devices. however, i think it's incorrect to suggest that this was the only audience on the platform. by your own admission, it suggests that the parents who bought the motion control games and the kids who played more family friendly titles are not the same audience. at least, i assume that's how you come to the conclusion that an average of 9 units of software moved per unit of hardware.

but consider it - if you were a kid playing those games in 2007... say, 7-10, you'd be 14-17 in 2014 and probably eyeing stuff like m-rated games on ps4, and multiplayer games that could be played online like destiny. i would not think that this group grew up and moved straight on to tablets wholesale.

and there are probably other examples and kinds of people who did stick around. it's far more feasible to me to suggest that a group generally without platform loyalty, just went on to the next popular mainstream thing.

Not that I disagree, but I think VR will be the wildcard out of the three. It has the potential to be a huge success, but it can also flop hard. I think the key factor in its success will be the pricing. If the headset is $299 like the rumours have it, then I think it will be quite successful and even move a sizable amount of PS4's.
I think the two most important factors are price (as you said) but also the games lineup. Great games (or movie experiences, or virtual reality formula 1 transmissions or whatever floats consumers boats) will make people want to buy VR. The price will determine which percentage of those consumers attracted to VR are going to go ahead and buy it.

Javin98

Banned
I think the two most important factors are price (as you said) but also the games lineup. Great games (or movie experiences, or virtual reality formula 1 transmissions or whatever floats consumers boats) will make people want to buy VR. The price will determine which percentage of those consumers attracted to VR are going to go ahead and buy it.
Yep, the games lineup is also another major factor. Fortunately for Sony, they seem to have a solid lineup for PSVR. Now how many of those games are launch titles is a different question.

On PC at least it seems like VR is off to a slow start. Zuckerberg said he's happy with the Oculus preorders but said it won't have an impact on Facebook financials this year.

Javin98

Banned
On PC at least it seems like VR is off to a slow start. Zuckerberg said he's happy with the Oculus preorders but said it won't have an impact on Facebook financials this year.
With the Oculus Rift costing $599, I'm not surprised. That price is way out of reach for most people, except the enthusiasts who are willing to spend over a thousand dollars for the rig and VR headset. If Sony really manages to launch the PSVR at half the price and release a PS4+PSVR bundle for the price of the Oculus Rift alone, I can see VR kicking off. But of course, for now, it's all speculation.

Sales were good for all leaders cause of 199.

PS2/Wii/PS1

199 is the real hot spot.

[PS4] 160k
[WIU] 38k
[XB1] 130K

PS4 - 230K
XB1 - 130K
WIU - 40K

These were my numbers. Do we have some way to calculate best guessers ? Would be nice to have some sort of listing. I think I did ok, but PS4 really killed me.... damn. Never imagined it would go over 200k

Puts me at 72k off . We can throw out ps4 this month right, guys? ?? lol

Do we have any info on how Ico and Shadow of the Colossus performed on the PS2?

Ico did less well than SoTC, but we don't really have any clue other than the fact Shadow qualified for PS2's Greatest Hits, so it sold >500k, at least.

Honestly, details on SoTC''s performance is sketchy. Leaks from Oct NPD back in 2006 shows that it sold... 30k copies at launch month. This IGN article states 253k instead, which I find hard to believe.

Anyway, I'm mainly gauging it from the fact that TLG did get a lot of interest this E3, looking solely at YT views of 4 million. That's not a small amount, and while view counts are only one small metric is a sea of influencing factors, at least we know there's interest and awareness of TLG in the larger gaming audience.

Unlike say, random JRPGs that only get 50-100k views on YT. ;_;

Javin98

Banned
Ico did less well than SoTC, but we don't really have any clue other than the fact Shadow qualified for PS2's Greatest Hits, so it sold >500k, at least.

Honestly, details on SoTC''s performance is sketchy. Leaks from Oct NPD back in 2006 shows that it sold... 30k copies at launch month. This IGN article states 253k instead, which I find hard to believe.

Anyway, I'm mainly gauging it from the fact that TLG did get a lot of interest this E3, looking solely at YT views of 4 million. That's not a small amount, and while view counts are only one small metric is a sea of influencing factors, at least we know there's interest and awareness of TLG in the larger gaming audience.

Unlike say, random JRPGs that only get 50-100k views on YT. ;_;
Hmm, okay. So I guess we can't compare how The Last Guardian will do with its spiritual predecessors and we can't really have a good idea how well it will do either. I don't think the years of anticipation will make it a hit commercially, though, since those who were hyped for it for years are mostly the hardcore gamers like on GAF.

onQ123

What your saying applies to every successful console, just not the (it) product, playstation wanted to make gaming for mature and they succeed by making games for accessible to a older audience.

Every successful console reached outside of the core market.

If you have to single out a specific game for why a console is a success, than that console's library must really suck.

But you can remember the games that separated the consoles from the others in the past & made it the go to console for some. PS4 hasn't had that yet but it's still selling a lot faster than the competition.

You can remember FF7 ,Tekken 1/2/3 , Crash GT1/GT2 MGS & others separating the PS1 from Sega Saturn & N64 , you can remember GT3/GT4 , Tekken Tag /4/5 , MGS2/3 , GTA3 & so on separating the PS2 from the Xbox & Gamecube but PS4 hit the ground running away from the competition without any big game that made it the go to console. PS4 is the go to console because it's the go to console.

Say if SFV take off like SF2 back in the SNES days & have people picking up the PS4 even faster than they already are you will remember how SFV separated the PS4 from the Xbox One.

To be beating the competition by 3:1 & 2:1 & on the way to 40 million without a big selling exclusive is amazing.

It's simple really.

The XB1 is tanking because MS fucked up.
The PS4 is doing very well because Sony nailed it.

Any other kind of "explanation" is just noise.

But MS are doing everything right now, while Sony have made screw-ups (but nowhere on the same scale as the Launch of Hubris) and it's still tanking now. I guess any other console than Sony's, that doesn't get out of the gate fastest, will never win the generation.

I honestly don't understand how Wii owners switched to ps4 it's like a totally different audience, yes every successful console has people buy it just for streaming, impulse buy cause it's the cool console, or other reasons that don't relate to core gaming. I would estimate 75% of Wii sales were just casuals that bought it to play games that had motion control in them, like Wii fit and wii sports, but clearly it wasn't core gamers other wise, they would be buying the wiiu, because that the closest thing to the Wii experience.

Life is Strange, Until Dawn and the Telltale games have attracted some of that audience, in my experience. My girlfriend doesn't touch games (not even phones) but she's played and loved all these types.

I don't think Microsoft will do another fire sale this holiday season. Something akin to last year's holiday season is what I'm expecting. The XB1 exclusives getting released on PC could be an indication that Microsoft is starting to lose interest in the console market and I doubt the XBox division will get much incentive for insane deals.

This year looks like continuing with high-price bundles for lower sales/bigger margins and the move to PC with W10. I think they'll knock another $50-$70 off towards the end of the year and keep things nicely ticking over and nurture first party production ready for next gen. I can't see them continuing to throw money at this like it doesn't matter anymore. I reckon this year will be make or break for whether next gen has a traditional XBox, or they go for the Steam Box-a-like.

Raist

Banned
But MS are doing everything right now, while Sony have made screw-ups (but nowhere on the same scale as the Launch of Hubris) and it's still tanking now. I guess any other console than Sony's, that doesn't get out of the gate fastest, will never win the generation.

Too little too late. And there's some stuff that is just there and can't be fixed (like some aspects of the HW).

bombshell

9ncjXcf.png

The beginning of the 2016 bloodbath.

kuroshiki

Do tell, please.

And don't forget the impact Trico's milkshake will have on the yard (I wish).

Man, imagine the scale of Trico in VR. I really hope the VR-up Ico and SotC at the very least.

Do tell, please.

Oh come on, they're listening and responding to fans, they have a solid line-up for this year - so tell me where they're messing up here? And I would kill (my wallet with extra funding) for proper PS4 BC.

Life is Strange did well for itself.

Explorers bombed. Only 1/4th of Type 0 HD. I wonder how World of FF is going to sell. When's that coming out anyways?

FFEX only had one week of tracking, while Type-0 HD had more than two weeks. But what's matter here is that FFEX is not a typical FF game: it's an hunting action game and even quite mediocre, with little advertising. Type-0 was a highly requested jRPG on the two platforms that are going to see FFXV. Completely pointless comparison.

Top Bottom