• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

thaivo

plagiarize said:
i'm pretty shocked. i was certain the ps3 would do it... and those wii sales are utterly ridiculous.

*great* numbers for RE4:Wii edition. that makes me happy.

Sony seem to have priced themselves out of the market... and unless software sales start picking up fast, 3rd party support is going to go the way it did for the gamecube.

it's going to be interesting to see if PS3 madden fails to beat Wii madden next month... but the 360 hardware is going to be really interesting.

sony fans seem to be pretty upset at many third parties... similar to how nintendo fans were with the gamecube.

I feel that the Wii itself is like a virus. : ) It's kind of like their commercials. Everytime I bring it to a party, quite a few people play it and so many of them end up wanting one. The damn thing sells itself with just Wii Sports and VC games. People dig SMB and Punch Out for crying out loud. Where as, my counsin's PS3 sits there sad and unplayed... :lol

Also, the Wii is so small it's easy to bring to gatherings. Not so the PS3. Who plays the PS3 in big groups anyway?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
justjohn said:
why are some people here acting like the american market is all that matters? i mean seriously, do you guys deliberately ignore other markets to suit your agenda?

Some are- I don't, and while PS3 is performing better than 360 in other markets...its not really doing all that much better.

LAMBO

Of course the 360 sold better than the ps3, it has better games and less of an insane price. The ps3 had a "price drop" but it's still $500 dollars, $500 dollars!!! It's an insane price that only the most hardcore game/movie lovers will pay. I won't even pay $400 for a console and i make good $$, and i'm the biggest gamer i know. Sony just totally killed themselves with the $600 - 500 price tag, i'll never understand how they thought it would sell.

I'd get a wii if some dev besides nintendo would put some effort into making the games. I don't mind the wii graphics, but the games just suck for me. Make a few non-waggle games too.

The 360(Germany) and ps3(allies) are just destroying each other while the wii(Switzerland) runs away with all the money.

Tideas

Banned
TwinIonEngines said:
What about a $300 console outselling a $200 console?

Or a $249 console outselling a $129 console?

When the $129 console has been out for almost 8 years...and has sold around 100 million worldwide, you would think that there'll be less ppl buying it than a console that's only been out for less than a year.

You know, it's like...common sense!

Grecco

justjohn said:
why are some people here acting like the american market is all that matters? i mean seriously, do you guys deliberately ignore other markets to suit your agenda?

NPD covers Japan/Europe?

Hmm. Wii software sales really are not that good. Seems like people are getting it for Wii Sports and little else. Maybe it's the Wii that's the extra, not the game.

Matt C. posted that Strikers did ~100k, and Resident Evil 4 Wii also did ~90k which brings it up to ~250k ltd.

AniHawk

FightyF said:
Isn't this where Sony wants to be? Virtually neck and neck with the 360 in NA, and outselling it everywhere else?

I think the biggest and most glaring stat is the fact that the Wii is outselling everything, including the PS2, handily.

The Wii has been selling PS3 and 360 combined for quite some time. After it becomes market leader, the next milestone will be when it beats both of their lifetime sales.

Has the 360 version of a multiplatform sports title ever exceeded the PS2 version? Or does NCAA always do this? The PS3 version did surprisingly well vs PS2, too.

justjohn said:
Wii is killing everyone in Europe and Japan, too.

WhatRuOn said:
Read much?
Quite a bit, I just don't see how this is much of an improvement.

It's still higher priced, but damn near everyone thought they might inch out a victory this month over the 360... which didn't happen. If some of you are trying to spin this in favor of Sony... well then just stop. These sales after a $100 price drop aren't good, let alone great for the last gen market leader.

Still shocked that Wii sales too such a jump.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Raist said:
Huh, 425k Wii sold, and only 2 games in top 10 ? One being wii play with remote ? oO

Nice numbers overall. I'm a bit surprised the PS3 didn't do better than that. I guess the price drop had less appealing factor than the starter pack in Europe

loosus said:
Hmm. Wii software sales really are not that good. Seems like people are getting it for Wii Sports and little else. Maybe it's the Wii that's the extra, not the game.

the 360 still has over 2 million more consoles sold in the US than the wii. you cant reasonably expect many wii games in the top ten list just yet.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/Bildi777/NPD Graphs/200707NPD1.jpg

Did anyone ever truly think that the Wii would still be selling so well (I mean predicting this over a year ago) as the PS3 sold so poorly?

Glad to see RE4 selling well. I'm sure Strikers will be a mammoth when the August results roll in.

Nintendo really doesn't even need to release many games. It seems Wii Sports is all it takes to move systems. Judging by Wii Play sales, Wii Fit will steamroll retail.

laserbeam

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

It's still higher priced, but damn near everyone thought they might inch out a victory this month over the 360... which didn't happen. If some of you are trying to spin this in favor of Sony... well then just stop. These sales after a $100 price drop aren't good, let alone great for the last gen market leader.

he refers to (POST AN IMAGE - GET A BAN) in the thread title

AniHawk

Guy Legend said:
NES sold 60 million units worldwide. Might the Wii become the most successfull Nintendo console of all time?

Well it's already 1/6 of the way there. By March 2008, it will be 1/3 of the way there.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Read much?
Thunder Monkey said:

:lol :lol :lol

Haunted

justjohn said:
Of course not! Wii is outselling the PS3 by 3:1 in both Europe and Japan. :p

My thoughts on NPD (in order)

1) Wow, GAF aggregate predicted 360 > PS3 by the slim margin correctly, and yet it's a huge suprise!! (It was to me, but apparently not to the crowd)

2) Wii sales are un fucking believable.

3) PS2 is the energizer bunny. When will it fall enough for Sony to drop it $99

4) NCAA 360 > NCAA PS2 by a wide margin. When the 360 finally does pass by the PS2 in HW sales, they'll be able to say that consumers have turned the page on last gen, but this is the first big example of it happening.

5) PSP HW. Now, this is what a price drop can do. Raise you to a new level. Shame about the SW though.

6) Guitar Hero is the most amazing phenomenon to happen to software in the past 5 years, IMO. Outside of DS supernova's that is. It started so humbly, wasn't carried by any retailers initially, and is now among the biggest franchises in the US.

7) 360 HW had a pretty good month. Next month, it's going to approach 300k.

Whats going to possibly prevent PS3 from taking off in the future is abandonment from publishers, do you guys really expect that they wont jump ship? Do you know what the next NPDs 360s number will look like with price cut? And have you heard of domino effect? I suggest you grip your PS3s tightly and stop caring about how much its sold and just enjoy it for whatever it is or will become.

GreekWolf

Kintaro said:
Show me the spin. Do you think 360 will make a huge jump next month?

Sony is more screwed (at least they can spin PS2/PSP numbers) than MS right now but MS sure isn't in a happy place.
In all seriousness, I have absolutely no idea how many consoles MS will move next month. Logically, one would assume that a $50 price drop on an already "somewhat" affordable next-gen system would provide a noticeable sales boost but, then again, as we've seen this month anything is possible. I know that I would've never guessed the 360 could even approach 170k in July, which is typically one of the slowest months of the year in the industry, but I guess I underestimated the impact of the newly implemented warranty.

LJ11

AdmiralViscen said:
Has the 360 version of a multiplatform sports title ever exceeded the PS2 version? Or does NCAA always do this? The PS3 version did surprisingly well vs PS2, too.

The last sports game to come out was MLB2K7, but I'm not sure how that sold on PS2. MLB The Show on the PS2 is the better game. So it may not be the first time, but it's just conjecture on my part. I have no numbers.

Grecco

sonycowboy said:
6) Guitar Hero is the most amazing phenomenon to happen to software in the past 5 years, IMO. Outside of DS supernova's that is. It started so humbly, wasn't carried by any retailers initially, and is now among the biggest franchises in the US.

Rock Band vs GH3 will be a fun thing come this winter

Bildi

Thunder Monkey said:

Oh dear. All you guys were being too subtle.

Thunder Monkey, you may notice (or not) that the thread title includes this: POST AN IMAGE - GET A BAN

1) Your post #528 contains what is technically classed as an image. As in a picture.

2) Ban means you don't get to post here anymore.

3) So if we break it down:

POST AN IMAGE <-ultimatum
- GET A BAN <- result of not meeting ultimatum

Clearer?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sonycowboy said:
7) 360 HW had a pretty good month. Next month, it's going to approach 300k.

Next month could be very interesting..aside from the Madden analysis, IF Wii shipments drop then 360 could possibly overtake Wii for the month. I doubt it will happen with Metroid coming out, but it does seem possible.

VALIS

FortunateSon said:
Games play a role. Brand recognition plays a role when especially a console get cheaper by time. Ps3 will get cheaper. One excuse that I don't reall want to use but I will throw it in anyways, Blu-Ray if it takes off, plays a minor role if any at all. But it's okay. Go have your time.

It's like you have a crystal ball with you or something.

You should really sit down and figure this out before claiming the battle is hot for 2nd place in the US.

4.3 million advantage.

Let's say the PS3 starts outselling the 360 by 100K every month. I don't know why it would, but for the sake of argument, let's say it does.

It would take 43 consecutive months of outselling the 360 by 100K until the PS3 was just tied with the 360 in the US.

As I said, it's over. I own a PS3. I'm not gloom mongering for kicks. It's like it's behind 10-2 in the 6th inning. A long way back.

Odysseus

Banned
FightyF said:
Isn't this where Sony wants to be? Virtually neck and neck with the 360 in NA, and outselling it everywhere else?

I think the biggest and most glaring stat is the fact that the Wii is outselling everything, including the PS2, handily.

you can't just look at july and say "well, they're selling at parity now." it doesn't work out that way. the key number to watch for sony is how the ps3 performs in august and september. we know 360 is going to get a boost thanks to its own price drop, the telling statistic for each console is how much of that boost will they be able to maintain in the months ahead.

if ps3 can stay in the mid 100s in august and get close to 200k for the 5-week september period, then you can say sony is in considerably better shape following the price drop, regardless of what the 360 actually sells.

ps3 didn't outsell 360 in july and there's no reason to believe they'll do so for the rest of the year, but if they're able to keep it close? then they will still be in the game.

Top Bottom