• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

FrankT

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
Isn't the bump largely due to the price drop of the old SKUs, and not slim sales? I know GAF will never be able to understand this, but the average consumer's heart doesn't go aflutter at the news of a smaller Xbox. $150 360 Arcades probably made up the lion's share of sales, and once those are gone, 360 sales will likely go down to their normal levels, at least in relation to the other 2 consoles.

It was 40% of the sales last month in a very supply constrained 2 weeks versus 60% for the rest not so much supplied constrained and versus 5 weeks at retail(2 weeks discounted). So the mix was actually pretty good. Regardless the old supply will be running out fairly quickly and I'm sure Pachter will update us again this month on the mix. They have played the SKUs pretty good so far stretching them out before the holidays and especially so with the Halo Reach slim coming in next month.

Arnie

yankeehater said:
What big holiday game do they have?
To be fair they have both Donkey Kong and Kirby, two games which should sell to the casual and hardcore demographics of the console very well.

AniHawk

yankeehater said:

They're probably betting on Donkey Kong Country and/or Wii Party. There's probably going to be a big marketing job for Epic Mickey from Disney and maybe one from Activision for GoldenEye.

Rhindle

goldenpp72 said:
Nintendo won't drop price again this year I think, i'd be shocked actually, they will do great in the holidays.
People keep saying that like it's a given, but I don't think it's a safe bet at all.

Last year was the first holiday where Wii was not supply constrained. It did great based on that. Will it do equally well the second time around? Seems doubtful, without the pent-up demand factor. And I wouldn't underestimate the impact of Kinect being out there - even if it does not sell incredibly well, it will shift a lot of attention away from Wii as the shiny new "must have" thing.

Penguin

yankeehater said:

From what I've seen Wii Party looks like a very interesting and unique party game that can move consoles if advertised well.

With that, there's still Donkey Kong, which doesn't have NSMBW 4-player but think 2 player co-op will help.

NBA Jam, Goldeneye and Epic Mickey, I think appeals to a different audience than who has been buying the Wii.

Willy105 said:
They have Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and third party has Epic Mickey and Goldeneye. Pretty big.
Eh.

Of that list, Epic Mickey has the best shot of selling big.

Local multi is everyone else's best shot.

Forkball

DQ IX is one of my favorite DS titles, it deserves high sales. Every DS owner here should pick it up without hesitation.

And 360 beat the DS... what world am I living in?

That 360 number really came out of nowhere. This holiday season is really shaping up to be interesting hardware wise. I have no idea where the numbers are going from here.

WillyFive

ShockingAlberto said:
Local multi is everyone else's best shot.

That's what made the Wii big.

AniHawk said:
I think DKCR is going to be on more minds than Mickey.

I think I heard that Disney was going to advertise the game big time. Nintendo doesn't really do that for hardcore games.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Willy105 said:
They have Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and third party has Epic Mickey and Goldeneye. Pretty big.
Wii Party might sell a few copies.

goldenpp72

The wii is a hot family item, it WILL sell great this holiday, most likely the best for consoles, I say this as a primary xbox fan, but that just seems inevitable, I also think donkey kong will be a big seller for the holidays.

What with the Arcade 360 redesign coming this month, Reach in September, and Kinect in November, MS is in a really good position for the rest of the year. And since they've milked the hell out of this current price model, they will probably be in a good position to cut the price when sales finally slow. I wonder if the Madden bundle will have an effect on PS3 sales if any at all this month, same with Move. The PS3 is doing alright I suppose (last month's number was good, this one is a tad disappointing I guess), it's just that the 360 is really performing impressively more than anything.

AniHawk said:
I think DKCR is going to be on more minds than Mickey.

Yep, reckon DKCR could be pretty huge. People have to remember that Donkey Kong Country was HUGE back in the SNES days. If Nintendo can market it well and appeal to the nostalgia of those who played it back then, it should manage to do pretty well.

As for the numbers, the 360's performance was seriously good. But to me it also makes obvious that the PS3 really should be doing better. I know it's a long-term prospect, but its been around for four years and still isn't really coming close to the 360 in the United States, both in hardware and software. Sony would be very thankful for its healthy status in Europe.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the price of the 360 this year considering it's basically been 2 full years and the price of entry still hasn't changed for the system.

OldJadedGamer said:
It will be interesting to see what they do with the price of the 360 this year considering it's basically been 2 full years and the price of entry still hasn't changed for the system.

Don't think they even need to this year. Sales are going to be up over last year by a fair margin, and they continue to reap the profits. And with Kinect bundles already priced, there won't be much room to squeeze in a price cut shortly after in the following 2 months. I think they expect Kinect to move even more hardware, and I think it will as well initially. I don't think price cut will enter the conversation until Spring 2011.

Htown

Also, Epic Mickey could be huge, depending on how serious Disney is about using this game as a relaunch for the Mickey Mouse brand, and how much of their insane marketing machine they put behind it.

The 360s is a sexy piece of kit and deserves the sales it's racking up.

I think Nintendo needs to take a look at a hardware redesign with added features for the Wii.

Htown

OldJadedGamer said:
The answer is "nothing". They're going to ride the slim and Kinect.

Chrange

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
That's what I was thinking. In a way (for consumers) it's almost too bad it sold so well, since that means less incentive to drop the price.

It launched at $399/299 and now it's what - $299/150? What you get in the package is vastly different, but the end price is still all that really matters to a huge chunk of consumers. For a long time, the mantra was 'if it's not $100 or less, they just won't buy it' but maybe these days that's $150. It'll be interesting to see how the 4GB one does.

FrankT

A bit more here;

Combined sales of video games and consoles fell for the fourth consecutive month in July, slumping 1% as U.S. consumers pulled back on buying new titles, with games for Nintendo Co.'s Wii suffering in particular.

A 12% jump in sales of game consoles last month failed to entirely offset an 8% drop in sales of games to play on the devices. Overall, players spent $846.5 million for consoles, games and game peripherals in July, down slightly from $850.6 million a year earlier, according to NPD Group, a market research firm.

"Hardware sales were impressive, but software sales were still down," said Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities.

The summer doldrums hit Nintendo software sales for its Wii console especially hard.

While sales of games for Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 grew in July, Wii games fell, Pachter said.

"Wii is responsible for all of the annual decline" in software sales, he said. "Wii owners are buying fewer games per capita than people who own the other two consoles."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-games-20100813,0,7620341.story

132k for DQ IX is not that great, considering all the marketing they put in, i'd say those numbers are pretty bad.

it most probably did far better in the EU.

OldJadedGamer said:

I figured the added hardware, wii-fi and bigger HDD, took the place of a price cut this year.

DMeisterJ

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

Sales are up. Bigger Hard Drives for both systems. Kinect.

They're not going to do anything to price. Price drops are not on a schedule (as Nintendo has shown), and there is no real pattern to any price cuts for any of the big three. They could price cut if they wanted to, but why cut into potential profits by lowering the price of your system? And we already have the pricing of the Kinect Arcade/Pro bundles, which come out in November, so it seems as if this pricing we have now is going to stick at least for the very near, and even far future. In a few months once the slim effect wears off and sales drop, a price cut will make sense then, but from a base of $200, there isn't much dropping to be had that will have a major impact.

donny2112

zero_suit said:
Doesn't matter since Nintendo has made more profits this generation month than Sony has since they entered the market.

Fixed that for you.

Chozo said:
or an angry Scotsman is ranting about the masculinity of crab fishermen.

But that was still awesome.

suaveric said:
The DS is starting to slow down in Japan. Which is why we have the 3DS coming soon.

If Nintendo followed that reasoning with Wii, we'd already have its successor on store shelves. Just saying. :p

suaveric said:
As for the Wii, it would not shock me to see its replacement announced by next E3.

Sure. 3DS would be launched in all regions. E3 2011 announcement. 2011 Fall release for Wii2 in Japan. 2012 elsewhere.

DMeisterJ said:
All hail the most tired meme in NPD history.

It's called kicking the horse when it's down. Probably most of the people who actually stated stuff like that are now banned. The PS3 can't be "saved." Clear 2nd in Japan. Clear 3rd in U.S. Basically tied for 2nd in Europe. I think it's been like that for a while now?

Do we have any YTD software numbers for the Wii? It would be interesting to see just how significant its decline in software sales has been.

Dead Man

Mama Robotnik said:
npdcomvic1.gif
So good! :lol :lol :lol

Flying_Phoenix said:
What movie is this?
Evil Dead: Army of Darkness. Comedy horror at its best.

Chrange said:
That's what I was thinking. In a way (for consumers) it's almost too bad it sold so well, since that means less incentive to drop the price.

It launched at $399/299 and now it's what - $299/150? What you get in the package is vastly different, but the end price is still all that really matters to a huge chunk of consumers. For a long time, the mantra was 'if it's not $100 or less, they just won't buy it' but maybe these days that's $150. It'll be interesting to see how the 4GB one does.

There is no model in production for the 360 that costs $150. Current price of the unit is $299/$199.

AniHawk

ShockingAlberto said:
It is a strange year where both DKC and NBA Jam revivals are coming.

And Sonic 4 and Rayman Origins, even though Sega and UbiSoft don't believe in their products enough to sell them at retail.

Sonic 4 especially really should be a retail game.

donny2112

bill0527 said:
Blizzard had a press release 48 hours after the game launched saying that they sold a million within the first 24 hours.

Worldwide, in addition to including digital numbers.

Did it probably sell over a million in the U.S. including digital in July? Probably.
Is Blizzard's press release proof of that? No.

goldenpp72

AniHawk said:
And Sonic 4 and Rayman Origins, even though Sega and UbiSoft don't believe in their products enough to sell them at retail.

Sonic 4 especially really should be a retail game.

This would make sense i sonic 4 were sure fire to be good, but..

Chrange

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
There is no model in production for the 360 that costs $150. Current price of the unit is $299/$199.
I thought the 4 GB one was $150 - must have been a sale on Best Buy's website. Hammers the point home more - the price has largely remained the same.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Halo Reach will bump 360 sales? If you care enough about Reach that you'd buy a 360 for it, don't you already own a 360?

Top Bottom