• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

radjago

amtentori said:
what will be in the 11-20?

possibilities

wii play
ps3 prototype
conduit
ghostbusters wii 360 ps3
wii grand slam tennis
wii punchout
360 transformers
360 ps3 tiger
random wii fitness game? (in top 20 before)
DS Mario Kart DS
DS New Super Mario Bros
DS Pokemon Platinum

boiled goose

good with gravy
timetokill said:
It is easier than the original Punch Out, but harder than Super Punch Out (in my opinion).

Anyway, it's not just that by itself. The other points I brought up, namely the fact that it doesn't have Mario, it's a BOXING (read: niche) game, it's still more difficult than most of the expanded audience is going to appreciate, and it's a sequel to a franchise that hasn't been seen in 15 years.

Punch Out is a fantastic game, and one of the best to come out so far this year, Top 5 for sure. But it's not an expanded audience type of game.

i expect around 60-80k for june. probably will hit 1m WW eventually
it is not even a boxing game. it is a rhythm puzzle game with a boxing skin and a high difficulty.
it is more niche than you think.

Haunted

Cday said:
The Prototype numbers caught me off guard. Seems like it was one of those games that sold by word of mouth.
I certainly recommended it to friends.*

*not reflected in the NPD charts due to location.

Then again, I also did the same for Red Faction. :/

Dr. Frank N Furter said:
The Nintendo DS is absolutely amazing! :D
And its sales are pretty good, too.

zero_suit

Concept17 said:
Quite the decline for both PSP and Wii. Especially given WM+.

The Wii should rebound during the holidays with NSMB Wii and Wii Fit+. That and there won't be any shortages during Nov/Dec like last year.

Not sure how the PSP Go will do, though.

TheOddOne

CHRP718 said:
Thats all that matters.

Clapping.gif
Clapping.gif
Clapping.gif

kassatsu said:
UFC 2009:UNDISPUTED (360) 338.3K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (360) 260.8K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (PS3) 210.3K

Try another excuse please.

WOW -- 800k people -- at best, not including the people that bought both UFC and Fight Night -- bought those games. WOW. Incredible mass market appeal! How could I doubt it compared to the millions upon millions of people buying Mario Kart???

Also, how many people buying those games are in the 16-25 year old male demo, also known as the Wii's weakest demographic?

How many people in the expanded audience -- you know, the ones making Mario Kart a success the likes of which Fight Night will NEVER be -- how many of them are buying boxing games?

And finally, ask yourself this -- let's say there was a Mario Boxing game -- do you think it would sell as much as Mario Kart?

Amir0x

Banned
Arde5643 said:
I still doubt the Conduit is going to do as bad as Madworld though, so I'll probably edit it for now lest someone else use it for crow-eating post later on. :p

I think Conduit still has a chance to go beyond 100k regardless whether it deserves it or not.

I don't think there's any chance Conduit won't hit 100k, unless it did stupid low numbers. Did we get the actual sales #?

Tiktaalik

timetokill said:
Punch Out is a very difficult game. It is way more "core" than Mario Kart, the last game in the franchise came out 15 years ago, it doesn't have Mario on the box, and it's based around a niche area like boxing, which doesn't have the cross-gender, cross-generation appeal of driving a go-kart.

Anybody expecting similar ANYTHING between those games is being ridiculous.

Punch Out may be a difficult game after the first one or two fights, but it looks really accessible, a lot of people were introduced to boxing on the Wii with Wii Sports and it had tons of advertising.

I know it does get pretty tough near the end, but on the surface it does appear to be a very accessible, friendly, fun game.

Before one writes it off as a complete failure in the casual arena one has to note the high bottom end of this month's NPD. It could be skirting along at 100k+ I don't know.

Same thing with Conduit. It could have bombed extremely hard, or it could have done over 100k sales, the latter which I would consider a success.

El-Suave

Wow at Ghostbusters not charting at least on 360, poor Atari. :-( I would have thought that that was a sure bet, especially since there must have been more imports from all across Europe than usual since the region freeness of the US version was pretty well publicized. That probably shows how insignificant we are as a meaningful target group.

womfalcs3

Banned
Shnookums said:
+ suddenly selling like the Wii also?

Well, the 13 million is how much they sell. Not how much is tracked by these organizations. They have to have a price cut coming, they're releasing a new SKU (initial shipment), and they have FFXIII coming in Japan on the platform.

[Nintex]

Back to licensed shovelware High-Voltage Software scum, come on!

ATARI's Ghostbusters more like Ghostbombers, so after selling their European offices to Bandai Namco that's the end for them!

they have FFXIII coming in Japan on the platform.
Yochi Wada has one rule, not to release Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in the same fiscal year.

bhhawks78

Banned
Really nice UFC numbers, i'm shocked infamous is doing so well despite the gaf hype i saw it as mediocre at best and recent ps3 exclusives haven't done that great. Funding for sly 4 i hope!:lol

Amir0x

Banned
timetokill said:
WOW -- 800k people -- at best, not including the people that bought both UFC and Fight Night -- bought those games. WOW. Incredible mass market appeal! How could I doubt it compared to the millions upon millions of people buying Mario Kart???

Also, how many people buying those games are in the 16-25 year old male demo, also known as the Wii's weakest demographic?

How many people in the expanded audience -- you know, the ones making Mario Kart a success the likes of which Fight Night will NEVER be -- how many of them are buying boxing games?

And finally, ask yourself this -- let's say there was a Mario Boxing game -- do you think it would sell as much as Mario Kart?

this is great logic, i'm going to go ahead and subscribe to your newsletter

Parham

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't think there's any chance Conduit won't hit 100k, unless it did stupid low numbers. Did we get the actual sales #?

Nope. So far I believe the only word we've gotten from Sega is that it did well on its first week. But honestly, that could mean anything.

Jokeropia

Classic_Gs said:
now if the rest of the Wii crap will just move along.
All the Wii games in the top ten are good games.
Concept17 said:
Quite the decline for both PSP and Wii. Especially given WM+.
If MotionPlus is gonna cause an increase of hardware sales, it will happen when WSR is out.

Haunted

Man, I'm just really happy for Prototype and Radical Entertainment. Those guys are radical.

Red Faction deserved the same success.

Averon said:
inFamous actually selling more on its second NPD than the first really surprised me. THis may be the first PS3 game to have done that. Ghostbusters not even charting on the 360?! Bomba, indeed.
Don't be so quick to judge. It could've done 8k less than Red Faction and not appear on the chart. *keeps hoping against the odds*

Man, too many good games I care for came out last month, makes this NPD particularly suspenseful for me. :lol

Averon

inFamous actually selling more on its second NPD than the first really surprised me. THis may be the first PS3 game to have done that. Ghostbusters not even charting on the 360?! Bomba, indeed.

JoJo13

Banned
Those are excellent InFamous sales. Nearly 400k in the US in just about 1 month. I was hoping the game would push past 500k LTD sales in the US, and it should do that fairly easily now. Did better than my expectations, and certainly has had a bit more legs than I would have thought. Word of mouth coupled with a strong demo must have helped it out tremendously? Also, this title's genre may jive with the PS3's audience.

Sony has to be pleased with those sales; I would have to imagine they are far greater than any of the previous Sly Cooper games. For a team of roughly 50 people generating WW revenue approaching $30 million (estimating 800k WW shipment sales), they're probably one of Sony's most profitable studios along with Media Molecule.

I hope this convinces them to make an InFamous 2 rather than even bothering with the Sly Cooper series. Nothing against that game, it's just that InFamous appeals to me far more and it incorporates some of Sly Cooper's best elements anyways.

Sony family this month was pretty predictable, hardware wise. Perhaps slightly above GAF's expectations.

360 had a really great month which took me a bit by surprise since there weren't any real big June releases (though I guess Prototype did well on the 360).

gerg

kassatsu said:
UFC 2009:UNDISPUTED (360) 338.3K

Try another excuse please.

Demographics.

Boxing appeals mainly to a male demographic, the likes of which exist in lesser numbers on the Wii. So boxing games sell less on the Wii. But comparing one niche game to another doesn't amount to much.

Unrelated: people really should stop talking about "hardcore" and "casual" gamers and simply focus on demographics instead.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Pretty decent software numbers all things considered. One thing trips me out. DS is selling mondo numbers, but no game charted in the top ten for it. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else? Usually with a system selling that nutso, there are pieces of software driving it big time that would appear as well? Happened with PSP too.

Aaron Strife said:
I'm implying that the Halo series is mediocre to irritate sensitive fanboys.

Evidently, it's working.

Normally I wouldn't take you seriously. But since I know not of your posting habits, and there are people who truly think this, there you go.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So the Tiger Woods Wii number DOESN'T include the ones bundled in with Motion Plus?

And the Motion Plus number DOESN'T include the ones bundled in with Tiger Woods?

. . .

Um, what did the Tiger Woods Motion Plus bundle actually sell, exactly?

Anyone?

Also, I expect the Conduit number to be somewhere around 120-130k.

Tiktaalik

EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE (Wii) 289.1K
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* (Wii) 272.4K

Lets talk about EA domination this month. Look how rad the EA Sports Active Bundle is doing! This is it's second month and it's still going strong.

EA is out Nintendoing Nintendo here!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kintaro said:
Pretty decent software numbers all things considered. One thing trips me out. DS is selling mondo numbers, but no game charted in the top ten for it. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else?

Seems like that's happened many many times before.

Jokeropia said:
All the Wii games in the top ten are good games.
If MotionPlus is gonna cause an increase of hardware sales, it will happen when WSR is out.
I was referring to the regulars; Mario Kart & Wii Fit.

Wait a minute, these numbers don't include the copies of Tiger Woods 10 that were bundled with Motionplus don't they?

That makes impressive numbers even more impressive if that's the case! :D

And 160k seperate motionplus sales are pretty damn good when Wii Sports Resort isn't even out yet!

bhhawks78 said:
i'm shocked infamous is doing so well

It's doing okay to pretty good. It will be a solid Sony franchise from here on out with room to grow for the sequel but its numbers aren't crazy insane.

Averon said:

It was out for about a week or slightly less in the May NPD and June is a 5 week NPD. It's not overly surprising it made it on the list again.

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)
Wii: 61.6 (April 29, 2008)
PS3: 66.9 (March 23, 2008)
X360: 88.5 (October 24, 2007)

Evlar said:
Well, so much for consoles.
Consoles: 919.7K
Portables: 930.0K

Not so bad.
MightyHedgehog said:
What's the with the extra detail in the form of those decimal points, anyway? (Or am I just not remembering that they always have them?)
They're always there.
GhaleonEB said:
I under-predicted every platform. Better month than I was expecting.
Yeah, me too. About 30K each.

Busaiku

Kintaro said:
Pretty decent software numbers all things considered. One thing trips me out. DS is selling mondo numbers, but no game charted in the top ten for it. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else? Usually with a system selling that nutso, there are pieces of software driving it big time that would appear as well? Happened with PSP too.
Few games chart in the overall top 10, but DS games tend to have really big legs.
The overall software sales for DS is also pretty high.

boiled goose

good with gravy
i think if ghostbusters 360 did over 100k it will be ok.

maybe due to its license and quality it can have more sustained sales?

CrisKre

Kintaro said:

not particularly, considering the nature of DS titles sales. They usually sell all across the board, within a relatively enormous span. We could have dozens of titles selling over 100k for all we know. Its the embodiment of "evergreen titles".

bhhawks78

Banned
Don't mean to be mean but also glad Conduit didn't chart, just because ign fellated them for months and gave them an absurd score doesn't mean their effort was even decent, i'm confident a good wii fps could be made but would have nothing at all in common with the conduit besides customizable controls.

Top Bottom