• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

Cant0na said:
Did Prototype (just on 360) outsell what infamous did in 2 months combined??? (what did infamous do last month?)

if so.........wow..........Wish sucker punch would make a game on 360, they deserve better sales. infamous was a good game.

The numbers break down as such below. Neither is really a big hit. They both did decent but nothing spectacular.

Infamous does 368.6 in about 5 weeks.

Prototype does 419.9K on 360 in about 3.5 to 4 weeks and whatever it does on PS3 if we find out that number.

You have to take into account the larger 360 player base so it's probably about even with that although Infamous as a console exclusive will be pushed harder by Sony into the future.

Grecco

BuzzJive said:
So much talk about Ghostbusters. What about Transformers? At least that had a blockbuster movie release with it.

Transformers was never as hyped as Ghosbusters, and if i recall only the PS2 Transformers SKU charted

Shnookums

Didn't Sony recently project that they would sell 3 million more PS3s this year compared to last year? Seems hard to imagine that working out.

timetokill said:
Punch Out is a very difficult game. It is way more "core" than Mario Kart, the last game in the franchise came out 15 years ago, it doesn't have Mario on the box, and it's based around a niche area like boxing, which doesn't have the cross-gender, cross-generation appeal of driving a go-kart.

Anybody expecting similar ANYTHING between those games is being ridiculous.

The franchise has been dead for so long, very few people out there actually recognize the name anymore. It won't ever do Mario Kart numbers, but I think positive reviews and the Nintendo name on the box will give it a good life. 160k last month was great, and I think it will have good legs just like most Nintendo games.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Kifimbo said:
No Ghostbusters The Video Game.
No GH Smash Hits.
No Overlord II.
No Transformers.
No Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.
No Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings.
No Grand Slam Tennis.

I'm just listing "high-profile" games that are not in the top 10.

Not surprised about Grand Slam purely because everyone probably bought the Tiger Bundle instead, and Golf and the TW franchise are just much more popular than Tennis and a new Tennis Franchise.

womfalcs3

Banned
Shnookums said:
Didn't Sony recently project that they would sell 3 million more PS3s this year compared to last year? Seems hard to imagine that working out.

Price drop coming + PS3 Slim.

Amir0x

Banned
Akia said:
It could've been so much worse. I hope it charts next month.

I was expecting only 90k or so, so 200k is a decent amount. It's obviously not a number that matches the extremely high quality of the product, but it is no bomb either. That's all I care about. The chance at future Red Factions with further refinements of this amazing formula.

Nice to see Conduit's mediocrity wasn't rewarded either.

MotherFan

Shnookums said:

They have to have a price cut (100 at least). There is no other option.

GhaleonEB said:
Interesting that MS was the only one to pull off YoY increase. Of course, sales this time last year weren't so hot, but still.

The DS is a beast - basically flat YoY and still doing insane numbers.
The Wii couldn't possibly keep those amazing numbers going forever. They had to decline eventually.

Haunted

yay Prototype! Such a great game. Shame on PS3 owners for not buying it. :mad:

And people are used to the DS numbers, but they are just insane. Better not to think about it, blows the mind. Nintendo laughing all the way to the bank, leading handheld and console sales for another month (even with the Wii dropping from "insane" to "just dominating" levels).

Very unhappy about Red Faction sales in comparison (such a good game) And here's hoping Grand Slam Tennis did well, even if it didn't make the overall Top 10.

Was right about the Conduit, dead wrong about Ghostbusters. Shame. :/

kassatsu

Banned
timetokill said:
Punch Out is a very difficult game. It is way more "core" than Mario Kart, the last game in the franchise came out 15 years ago, it doesn't have Mario on the box, and it's based around a niche area like boxing, which doesn't have the cross-gender, cross-generation appeal of driving a go-kart.

Anybody expecting similar ANYTHING between those games is being ridiculous.
UFC 2009:UNDISPUTED (360) 338.3K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (360) 260.8K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (PS3) 210.3K

Try another excuse please.

Parham

Banned
Angeles said:
I'm surprised that the PS3 sold that many with PS3 slim news leaked and price cut rumors

The news of a slim model is only really known among internet message board users. Not only that, but the general public probably wont even know about it until Sony starts a marketing campaign.

dumbass_

Banned
Shnookums said:

It's possible i think if they release PS3 slim in August for 299$ or if GT5/FF13 get released this year

Kilrogg said:
It's also way easier than the previous installments. It's not like everyone has to play Title Defense from the start.

I fully expected the game to perform poorly, but not because of the difficulty. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly that made me think this, but it wasn't the difficulty.

It is easier than the original Punch Out, but harder than Super Punch Out (in my opinion).

Anyway, it's not just that by itself. The other points I brought up, namely the fact that it doesn't have Mario, it's a BOXING (read: niche) game, it's still more difficult than most of the expanded audience is going to appreciate, and it's a sequel to a franchise that hasn't been seen in 15 years.

Punch Out is a fantastic game, and one of the best to come out so far this year, Top 5 for sure. But it's not an expanded audience type of game.

CHRP718

Banned
Shnookums said:
28jlity.jpg

112_0602_17z_the_power_list_2006_kazunori_yamauchi.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
what will be in the 11-20?

possibilities

wii play
ps3 prototype
conduit
ghostbusters wii 360 ps3
wii grand slam tennis
wii punchout
360 transformers
360 ps3 tiger
random wii fitness game? (in top 20 before)

radjago

ICallItFutile said:
OMG NO WII PLAY

THE STREAK HAS BEEN BROKEN!
Wii Play sells about to about 50% of Wii console sale, so when they dip to 360K, Wii Play dips with it to less than 180K, putting out of the top ten.

Arde5643

Amir0x said:
I was expecting only 90k or so, so 200k is a decent amount. It's obviously not a number that matches the extremely high quality of the product, but it is no bomb either. That's all I care about. The chance at future Red Factions with further refinements of this amazing formula.

Nice to see Conduit's mediocrity wasn't rewarded either.
I still doubt the Conduit is going to do as bad as Madworld though, so I'll probably edit it for now lest someone else use it for crow-eating post later on. :p

I think Conduit still has a chance to go beyond 100k regardless whether it deserves it or not.

gerg

Kilrogg said:
It's also way easier than the previous installments. It's not like everyone has to play Title Defense from the start.

I fully expected the game to perform poorly, but not because of the difficulty. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly that made me think this, but it wasn't the difficulty.

I think it's just a thematic difference. Someone brought up a similar point when comparing ExciteTrucks to ExciteBots - a game where you drive monster trucks probably appeals to more people than a game where you drive transforming insect robots in much the same way that racing with your favourite Mario characters in karts holds greater appeal than boxing with a bunch of unknown characters.

VALIS said:
360 is really the only console that has been up YOY most of this year, though I don't have specifics, I'm just going on memory. That's what a price drop does for you.

The 360's price cut has been effective in increasing the baseline slightly, but I don't think the 360 is stealing potential Wii buyers away from Nintendo.

Quite the decline for both PSP and Wii. Especially given WM+.

Wii Sports Resort isn't out yet.
And hasn't the latest Tiger Woods game debuted higher this year than ever before?

MotherFan

Angeles said:
It's possible i think if they release PS3 slim in August for 299$ or if GT5/FF13 get released this year

FFXIII is only being released in japan in 2009, there is no way they could localize it that quick.

Cday

Banned
The Prototype numbers caught me off guard. Seems like it was one of those games that sold by word of mouth.

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
8th straight month down yoy for the PS3 just for those keeping score although at least this month would be expected because last year was MGS 4. Last year for reference.

Down 488,000 (30%) so far this year.

kuYuri

So glad inFAMOUS is still in top ten, but disappointed RFG didn't sell better.

Was expecting much lower for Prototype 360.

Barrett2

Aphallatosis said:
Glad to see the DS continuing to push high numbers, I was afraid DSi could have hurt sales after the initial boost.

wut? Why would introducing a 'premium' model reduce sales of all models?

Top Bottom