• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

FoneBone

Kifimbo said:
No Transformers.
You know, this may be a dumb question, but how do these movie games actually turn a profit? Seems like most of them have very brief durations on the charts, and don't even reach that high when they do chart.

Wow @ DS.
Wow @ Tiger 10.

Yuck @ PS3.
Yuck @ Prototype (too high)
Yuck @ Infamous (too low)
Yuck @ Red Faction (too low)

Where's Conduit, Ghostbusters?

That's interesting number on PS3 vs 360 Fight Night. Only 50k difference. Crazy since Prototype PS3 looks to have sold 225,000+ less units.

Mudkips

Banned
TeethMummy said:
last time it was "how did madworld not chart?!" this time its "how did conduit not chart?!"

When will you people learn?

I don't get how people haven't seen the pattern of IGN hyping up a game non stop, it turning out to be completely mediocre, and the sales reflecting that.

I picked up on this shit when IGN tricked me into buying Eternal Darkness.

GhaleonEB

Kifimbo said:
No Ghostbusters The Video Game.
No GH Smash Hits.
No Overlord II.
No Transformers.
No Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.
No Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings.
No Grand Slam Tennis.

I'm just listing "high-profile" games that are not in the top 10.
190k for #10 is pretty good though (I think). It's possible some of those games nestled right under the bottom of this chart and still sold respectably.

I under-predicted every platform. Better month than I was expecting.

Tiktaalik said:
PS3 sales are abysmal.

Prototype did better than I expected, though I think it could definitely have a hard drop off next month.

I honestly thought that Punch Out would be a big hardcore/core/casual/expanded audience hit like Mario Kart, but we're not really seeing it. The cut off here is 192k though, which is high, and so it could still be skirting along at ~100k, which would be nice, but who knows.

Punch Out is a very difficult game. It is way more "core" than Mario Kart, the last game in the franchise came out 15 years ago, it doesn't have Mario on the box, and it's based around a niche area like boxing, which doesn't have the cross-gender, cross-generation appeal of driving a go-kart.

Anybody expecting similar ANYTHING between those games is being ridiculous.

Mama Robotnik said:
(I got nothing.)

best news i've heard all week

Mudkips said:
I don't get how people haven't seen the pattern of IGN hyping up a game non stop, it turning out to be completely mediocre, and the sales reflecting that.

I picked up on this shit when IGN tricked me into buying Eternal Darkness.

hey you shut the fuck up about eternal darkness

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
sinnergy said:
So everything down from last year, except X360.. MS did a good job.

They are the only one who dropped the price of their console too - so everything else would be suprising.

AFreak

Banned
Fuck yeah on InFamous. Still going strong. Seriously, it's the best thing released this year so far. Sucker Punch has got to be happy with this one, I believe it's already their fastest selling title ever.

Busaiku

Kifimbo said:
No GH Smash Hits.
No Overlord II.
No Transformers.
No Grand Slam Tennis.

I really wouldn't say most of those are high profile.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
LTD

PlayStation 2 44,300,518
PlayStation 3 7,914,096
PSP 15,260,836
Xbox 360 15,480,886
Wii 20,564,781
Nintendo DS 31,643,158

YTD

PlayStation 2 785.9k
PlayStation 3 1.1199 mil
PSP 919.2k
Xbox 360 1.6206 mil
Wii 3.0244 mil
Nintendo DS 4.1018 mil

YOY

PlayStation 2 -1%
PlayStation 3 -59% (MGS4 last year)
PSP -52%
Xbox 360 +9%
Wii -46%
Nintendo DS -2%

MotherFan said:
I'd say that's about right +- 20k

I still see commercials for the game, I hope that's a sign of the game doing well. Hopefully IGN will provide some numbers for the game as well as for GhostBusters.

Cant0na

Banned
Did Prototype (just on 360) outsell what infamous did in 2 months combined??? (what did infamous do last month?)

if so.........wow..........Wish sucker punch would make a game on 360, they deserve better sales. infamous was a good game.

wow that sucks for red faction

i normally don't complain about games not getting the sales they deserve but i gotta make an exception for such a great game!

one of the rare games i've played this gen where i felt that, aside from visuals, the added beef of the hd systems where truly put to use

Wow, surprising top ten! UFC is still a beast and good numbrs for Red Faction and Infamous too. I didn't expect Prototype to hit #1 either, but so glad Wii Play is finally out of the top ten...now if the rest of the Wii crap will just move along.

G.O.O.

I think the expectations around the conduit are not as high as some of you think.

Sales-wise.

And quality-wise, too, but that's another topic.

Kifimbo

GhaleonEB said:
190k for #10 is pretty good though (I think). It's possible some of those games nestled right under the bottom of this chart and still sold respectably.

I under-predicted every platform. Better month than I was expecting.

Yeah, I'm not saying they all bombed. I was just listing games tied with a big franchise, or with some decent budget/marketing that are not in the top 10.

VALIS

Kifimbo said:
No GH Smash Hits.
No Overlord II.
No Transformers.
No Grand Slam Tennis.

The only one of those that's at all surprising is Ghostbusters. And even then, even on a "hardcore" gaming forum like this one it has received very modest hype.

Parham

Banned
radjago said:
What did Fight Night Round 3 do in its first month?

No idea. The only data I could find for February 2006 did not include actual sales numbers. But in case you were wondering, it ranked first that month.

VALIS

ICallItFutile said:
YOY

PlayStation 2 -1%
PSP -52%
Xbox 360 +9%
Wii -46%
Nintendo DS -2%

360 is really the only console that has been up YOY most of this year, though I don't have specifics, I'm just going on memory. That's what a price drop does for you.

MotherFan

Cant0na said:
Did Prototype (just on 360) outsell what infamous did in 2 months combined??? (what did infamous do last month?)

if so.........wow..........Wish sucker punch would make a game on 360, they deserve better sales. infamous was a good game.

Yes.

GhaleonEB

ICallItFutile said:
YOY

PlayStation 2 -1%
PSP -52%
Xbox 360 +9%
Wii -46%
Nintendo DS -2%
Interesting that MS was the only one to pull off YoY increase. Of course, sales this time last year weren't so hot, but still.

The DS is a beast - basically flat YoY and still doing insane numbers.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
timetokill said:
Punch Out is a very difficult game. It is way more "core" than Mario Kart, the last game in the franchise came out 15 years ago, it doesn't have Mario on the box, and it's based around a niche area like boxing, which doesn't have the cross-gender, cross-generation appeal of driving a go-kart.

Anybody expecting similar ANYTHING between those games is being ridiculous.

It's also way easier than the previous installments. It's not like everyone has to play Title Defense from the start.

I fully expected the game to perform poorly, but not because of the difficulty. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly that made me think this, but it wasn't the difficulty.

Top Bottom