• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

That's actually a very good month for Wii U.

I can't say the Xbone's numbers inspire as much confidence as people are making it seem though. Generally, the whole home console industry does not look as explosive as last gen was.

Welfare

If Wii U sales go <100k in July, I don't think MK will be the savior some people wanted. Same goes for the One, too. <140k would be bad in July, as demand for it will be slowing down again, while PS4 will probably stay huge with the Destiny Beta.

They're going to get shut down very, very fast.

I wouldn't doubt it if someone already informed The NPD Group to shut it down.

They CANNOT share that amount of data publicly like that. It's a violation of their contract.

Yeah, the NPD's ninjas will act swiftly to a blatant leak. My guess is some intern or someone new at the site posted screencaps of their charts without realizing the rules.

They're going to get shut down very, very fast.

I wouldn't doubt it if someone already informed The NPD Group to shut it down.

They CANNOT share that amount of data publicly like that. It's a violation of their contract.

What's really gross is they just copy/pasted images from the report. At least do some analysis or graphs or something. How, in any way, does someone over there go "yeah, I'll just copy/paste this stuff on the site! What could go wrong?!?"

That's actually a very good month for Wii U.

I can't say the Xbone's numbers inspire as much confidence as people are making it seem though. Generally, the whole home console industry does not look as explosive as last gen was.

While true the trajectory for the first time in a long while doesn't scream 100+ million unit loss either.

I understand and was on the other side of the coin that generation. If you look at all that happened this month, it'll paint a bigger picture for you in the US. Now compare US to the world, and you have the real picture.

My analysis was only ever meant for the US market. This is the NPD thread after all.

The One is close enough that a big software release (like, say, the first Gears or Halo) would drag it above the PS4 for the month. Unfortunately for MS, both games are 16+ months away. In the meantime, increasing the baseline by doing little more than removing the anchor from around their necks is one of the few positive signs they've had this year.

AniHawk

i'm starting to wonder if the vita can break 2m units ltd this year.

edit: okay, it should do it in december, if it doesn't in november.

Road

I released my mistake too late and have done everything I can to put the cork back in the bottle but it seems impossible :\

It's not your fault. There are literally thousands of eyes checking every NPD thread. Once it's here, it's impossible to keep it hidden.

I dunno, it's owned and run by a significant retailer, so it might have permission to run its numbers.

Looks like a rookie's mistake. It's happened a couple times before. I think it's unlikely they got a special permission nobody else has.

It's great to see that Mario Kart 8 has given the Wii U a boost in sales. It's even greater to see that all consoles are selling in decent numbers.

But the greatest is seeing those Tomodachi Life numbers. I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but I didn't expect it to sell a whole hell of a lot. I hope that in North America we'll see more Japanese titles from Nintendo because of this.

Just stop talking about that site, if y'all keep repeating "yeah they gon get shut down it's over" each post someone will notice and report them. Just let it get buried in this thread and move on...

ironcreed

Banned
A rough summary so far

-----------------------------
Hardware Monthly Sales

PS4 ~ 269k
XB1 ~ 197k
3DS ~ 152k
Wii U ~ 140k
360 ~ 62k
PS3 ~ 42k
Wii ~ 19k
PSV ~ 15k

Hardware US LTD's as of July 5, 2014

PS4 ~ 3573k
XB1 ~ 2916k
WIU ~ 2548k
Vita ~ 1840k

June Software Sales

Tomodachi [3DS] 138k Retail, 37k Digital
Mario Kart 8 [WIU] 470k [Retail + Digital]
All Other New Retail Handheld Games sans Tomodachi < 7k

LTD Software Sales

Mario Kart 8 [WIU] 753K Retail Standalone, 885k Total
Watch Dogs [PS4] 793K [XB1] 500K [360] 326k [PS3] 255k
Wii Fit U [WIU] 48K
Tomb Raider DE [PS4] 179k [XB1] 99k
Donkey Kong Country TF [WIU] 285k
PvZ Garden Warfare [360] 295k [XB1] 163k
Titanfall: [XB1] 1010k Retail Standalone [360] 614k
Infamous SS: PS4 648k
FF13: Lightening Returns [PS3] 139k [360] 74k
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles [PS3] 77k
FFXHD [PS3] 276k
South Park SoT [360] 289k [PS3] 236k
Dark Souls II [360] 289k [PS3] 236k

That is not bad for Xbox One at all. PS4 is just selling like hot cakes still.

Do those with NPD connections here have access to platform software numbers for this month? I'm curious to know the split between 360/XB1/PS3/PS4. That site everyone is talking about has a lot of figures, but not that info - which is what MS likes to cite.

Just stop talking about that site, if y'all keep repeating "yeah they gon get shut down it's over" each post someone will notice and report them. Just let it get buried in this thread and move on...

It's already on gonintendo, gamefaqs and chartz from the quick googling I did

Cat's fully out of the bag

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It's not your fault. There are literally thousands of eyes checking every NPD thread. Once it's here, it's impossible to keep it hidden.

Looks like a rookie's mistake. It's happened a couple times before.
I think it's unlikely they got a special permission nobody else has.

You're probably right. I guess a guy can dream...

My analysis was only ever meant for the US market. This is the NPD thread after all.

The One is close enough that a big software release (like, say, the first Gears or Halo) would drag it above the PS4 for the month. Unfortunately for MS, both games are 16+ months away. In the meantime, increasing the baseline by doing little more than removing the anchor from around their necks is one of the few positive signs they've had this year.

Did they really increase the baseline though?
1.) People held of on purchases last month to buy the new sku this month
2.) 5 weeks vs 4 weeks
3.) Marketing campaign to promote new price

When you look at all of this, it looks like they didn't achieve much more than balance out the previous months lost sales that they cannibalized by announcing it a month in advance.... I don't see how you can come up with that conclusion.

J-Rzez

I would say it was probably crushing for MS to see that Sony still won, but I honestly don't think for a second that anyone at MSHQ would think that kinectless sku would turn the tides. As said before, it's over for MS, there's no chance to pull out the W. If they're getting beat in NA, they're out. And that's not considering WW numbers against them. Unless they slash the price significantly on the XB1 and secure numerous high profile full on exclusives, they need to just focus on turning out a profit at this point. They can't afford shareholders to be unhappy much longer.

Sony really hit a homerun with the PS4 in Walkman, Trinitron, PS2 style. Good on them. Now they need to focus their attention to the PS4 even more from a company wide perspective. I get their TVs are selling well again, as well as cameras, but their real strength is the PS4 and they need to go all in on it.

Ninty got it's expected mariokart boost. May trickle over another month but after that it'll be dried up until Zelda.

Lefein

Banned
The PS3 baseline changed significantly with each successive price drop, as did the 360.

These are not consoles selling at their max level. Not yet. MS will need consistent software releases to maintain momentum, but it is certainly possible.

When's the last time you could preorder an officially price-dropped game console a month ahead?

Survey says never.

FZZ

Banned
It's already on gonintendo, gamefaqs and chartz from the quick googling I did

Cat's fully out of the bag

Crazy they went four months without anyone noticing. Makes me wonder how many other sites do the same thing that no one notices. Also wonder how many people that leak data are just using these sites for info.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Oh I almost forgot, thank you Aqua for your contributions as well! What would we do without you :)

I would say it was probably crushing for MS to see that Sony still won, but I honestly don't think for a second that anyone at MSHQ would think that kinectless sku would turn the tides. As said before, it's over for MS, there's no chance to pull out the W. If they're getting beat in NA, they're out. And that's not considering WW numbers against them. Unless they slash the price significantly on the XB1 and secure numerous high profile full on exclusives, they need to just focus on turning out a profit at this point. They can't afford shareholders to be unhappy much longer.

Sony really hit a homerun with the PS4 in Walkman, Trinitron, PS2 style. Good on them. Now they need to focus their attention to the PS4 even more from a company wide perspective. I get their TVs are selling well again, as well as cameras, but their real strength is the PS4 and they need to go all in on it.

Ninty got it's expected mariokart boost. May trickle over another month but after that it'll be dried up until Zelda.

I doubt many people at MS thought the price cut would instantaneously turn the tides. This was just to keep them in the game. They know it's going to take a while to reverse the situation (if even possible).

And Zelda? I think you mean Smash Bros.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn Xbox One at almost 200k is actually way better than I expected. MS totally should have just said "nearly tripled".

So am I making that up when I say that outside of Super Mario Bros Wii U, Titan Fall is the only million seller on a single next gen platform in the US?

Of course I expect Watch Dogs and Mario Kart to join it very soon, but that's pretty impressive.

So the Wii U sold a lot better in June, but what does it really have for the rest of the year, to keep momentum?

So far I got:

Hyrule Warriors - Sept '14
Bayonetta 2 - October '14
Captain Toad - November '14
Smash Bros Wii U - December '14

Besides some Lego games here and there, what else does the Wii U have? Indie eShop games? I'm hoping for dat Fast Racing Neo personally.....

It's not keeping pace with PS4 in the USA/UK, let alone the world.

It is getting fewer exclusives, especially from indie and Japanese devs.

Any preferential treatment it is getting for multiplats (if any) will be gone soon.

Hence, niche console, just like the original Xbox. Nothing wrong with that. But hopes that X1 and PS4 would be going toe-to-toe this gen are dead and buried. X1 will surely make moves to keep Sony alert enough from absolutely screwing up the PS4, but it'll be the dog nipping at the heels.

Top Bottom