• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

All these game sales seem pathetic when compared to the chart of game sales in 2001 that was posted a few pages back.

Add to the fact that development costs are so much bigger 13 years later and all I can see is doom.

Well, now you know why Digital Distribution, Free to Play, Downloadable Content, Consumables and Season Passes are so important.

2001 games didn't have those revenue streams.

Crazy they went four months without anyone noticing. Makes me wonder how many other sites do the same thing that no one notices. Also wonder how many people that leak data are just using these sites for info.

Someone should just leak the numbers on pastebin every month or something. It would make things a lot easier.

not cray enough

need more gifs, meltdowns, funny pics

I think the extreme fanboys that would give us those great meltdowns have learned to stay away from these threads now. It's the same story every month at this point. Most people expect it. Last really good NPD thread was March.

Relativ9

Everyone saying the Halo collection will save the Xbox need to consider that Halo 3 sold almost 12 million, while Reach and Halo 4 both sold 9 million despite having a much bigger install base. The Halo brand is slowing down and the lackluster reception for Halo 4 isnt going to help the next entry. Believing the kind of hardcore Halo fan that would buy a Halo Collection isnt already one of the 5 million Xbox One owners is just naieve. A 100$ pricecut didnt do enough and ypu think dudebro92 is going to buy a console for a collection of old games wheb he can just keep playing Call of Duty on whatever platform he already owns?

Going to echo what others have said:

PS4 killing it, how close to PS2 like demand and sales?

Wii U pushing those kind of numbers is fantastic to see, especially how the console has been performing, and how I expected it to actually do.

I can't explain how glad I am to see Tomodachi Life chart so high, especially given I expected the lack of a title name change to hurt its potential. Also Mario Kart's numbers are very impressive.

guize

what if it was all a ruse

the numbers are a lie

npd doesn't want the real numbers out there so they let these people leak fake ones so that real ones look fake

BELIEVE

Going to echo what others have said:

PS4 killing it, how close to PS2 like demand and sales?

Wii U pushing those kind of numbers is fantastic to see, especially how the console has been performing, and how I expected it to actually do.

I can't explain how glad I am to see Tomodachi Life chart so high, especially given I expected the lack of a title name change to hurt its potential. Also Mario Kart's numbers are very impressive.
This months PS4 sales means it will take a little longer than I expected for Wii's ltd to catch up, and marginally longer than that for PS2's to catch up. I still expect it to happen, but it's a really good sign for PS4.

Square2015

Alright updated through June :)
*click to enlarge*
m2ZMck9.png

Hopefully this graph isn't becoming info overload.

Tomodachi doesn't surprise me given how much promotion I've seen for it and how well it's been doing in Europe. I imagined 100k minimum. This is actually right around what I was gonna guess.

A rough summary so far

-----------------------------
Hardware Monthly Sales

PS4 ~ 269k
XB1 ~ 197k
3DS ~ 152k
Wii U ~ 140k
360 ~ 62k
PS3 ~ 42k
Wii ~ 19k
PSV ~ 15k

Hardware US LTD's as of July 5, 2014

PS4 ~ 3573k
XB1 ~ 2916k
WIU ~ 2548k
Vita ~ 1840k

June Software Sales

Tomodachi [3DS] 138k Retail, 37k Digital
Mario Kart 8 [WIU] 470k [Retail + Digital]
All Other New Retail Handheld Games sans Tomodachi < 7k

LTD Software Sales

Mario Kart 8 [WIU] 753K Retail Standalone, 885k Total
Watch Dogs [PS4] 793K [XB1] 500K [360] 326k [PS3] 255k
Wii Fit U [WIU] 48K
Tomb Raider DE [PS4] 179k [XB1] 99k
Donkey Kong Country TF [WIU] 285k
PvZ Garden Warfare [360] 295k [XB1] 163k
Titanfall: [XB1] 1010k Retail Standalone [360] 614k
Infamous SS: PS4 648k
FF13: Lightening Returns [PS3] 139k [360] 74k
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles [PS3] 77k
FFXHD [PS3] 276k
South Park SoT [360] 289k [PS3] 236k
Dark Souls II [360] 289k [PS3] 236k

SwiftDeath don't forget this does not include bundles so maybe you should put that for games like WD and ISS.

Hence, niche console, just like the original Xbox. Nothing wrong with that. But hopes that X1 and PS4 would be going toe-to-toe this gen are dead and buried. X1 will surely make moves to keep Sony alert enough from absolutely screwing up the PS4, but it'll be the dog nipping at the heels.

This is a bad post and the definition of jumping to conclusions. Still not even a full year into the generation and we're already saying that one console is "niche?" Did people say this about PS3 last gen, because it sucked early on and ultimately caught up in the end. I know people love to jump to conclusions on the internet, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Am I the only one who realizes this?

You thought that was humble? What are you expecting them to say? Lie about how they sold the most consoles? If there's a number MS won, they would have said it.

They made everyone think they sold 50k less than they did. I'm sure there was a better way to word it.

how did X1 do?

i dont feel like looking through the whole thread and most of the post in the past 2 pages are either Wii U praise or shit idk about.

This is a bad post and the definition of jumping to conclusions. Still not even a full year into the generation and we're already saying that one console is dead and "niche?" Did people say this about PS3 last gen, because it sucked early on and ultimately caught up in the end. I know people love to jump to conclusions on the internet, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Am I the only one who realizes this?
I mean we've got some good datapoints so far, but without their holiday baselines we're just kind of winging it.

To early to say with a definite yes or no where each end up... WiiU even with a much higher baseline has a hell of a large crawl to make it to GCN totals though. Like this side of nigh impossible.

RexNovis

Banned
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised too. Everything did better than expected.

Kind of confused by PS4's sales though. What made it increase week-to-week like that? It's not like there were any major releases. E3 bump?

I'm guessing it was partially due to the Destiny alpha. I don't think people understand how huge this game is gonna be.

This is a bad post and the definition of jumping to conclusions. Still not even a full year into the generation and we're already saying that one console is dead and "niche?" Did people say this about PS3 last gen, because it sucked early on and ultimately caught up in the end. I know people love to jump to conclusions on the internet, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Am I the only one who realizes this?
Didn't say dead. I said niche. I said hopes that x1 and PS4 would be toe-to-toe are dead.

Also, this is a bad post because you're using the "PS3 caught up, why not X1?" false equivalency.

We are discussing NPD. N P freakin' D. I don't know if I've even seen a Worldwide Sales thread on GAF in months because, well...what's the point? And even in NPD, X1 is behind. Doing not-bad in one or two markets is niche. It's what the word means.

Crackbone

It's really not a bad conclusion.

Sony had WW sales to offset their sales deficit in the US. MS has no such luxury. If they don't win handily in NA they have no shot of making this a race much less winning.

sörine

Banned
So am I making that up when I say that outside of Super Mario Bros Wii U, Titan Fall is the only million seller on a single next gen platform in the US?

Of course I expect Watch Dogs and Mario Kart to join it very soon, but that's pretty impressive.
Mario 3D World maybe? Plus a bunch of 3DS stuff obviously (MK7, 3D Land, Zelda OOT, Animal Crossing, Pokemon XY, etc).

This months PS4 sales means it will take a little longer than I expected for Wii's ltd to catch up, and marginally longer than that for PS2's to catch up. I still expect it to happen, but it's a really good sign for PS4.

Not sure if Wii U and XB1 being so close in global numbers is more detrimental for Nintendo or MS, but I bet MS is sweating bullets with Destiny coming soon, which could shift the main FPS market to PS4 (7th gen wise), and that would not be good for them as they are already loosing a lot of mind share, Nintendo has a strong holiday lined up, Sony can easily continue as is for the rest of 2014 but MS has a lot of work to do getting their games to grab consumers dollars. Still can't believe how fast this industry moves, after 360 and Wii I would never have guessed that Sony would get PS4 to where it is so quickly.

Didn't say dead. I said niche. I said hopes that x1 and PS4 would be toe-to-toe are dead.

Also, this is a bad post because you're using the "PS3 caught up, why not X1?" false equivalency.

This is stretching.

You're looking at an end of the year advantage for PS4 of around 1-1.5 million units. I consider that toe-to-toe. Stretched along five years with little in the way of change between them and PS4 may have a 6 million unit advantage. Still within realm of toe-to-toe.

Did they really increase the baseline though?
1.) People held of on purchases last month to buy the new sku this month
2.) 5 weeks vs 4 weeks
3.) Marketing campaign to promote new price

When you look at all of this, it looks like they didn't achieve much more than balance out the previous months lost sales that they cannibalized by announcing it a month in advance.... I don't see how you can come up with that conclusion.

My conclusion, going back to the beginning of our discussion, is that you can't construe the sales as "horrible" because we already have a baseline for horrible with the Vita<Wii U<DC<GCN<PS3. 200k in October would be horrible. There's no way of telling if the bump is temporary, as we don't have a week by week sales breakdown, and the bump wasn't centered around a software release. For all we know, the first week of the month could have had the same or worse rate as May due to the impending price drop and the ad campaign.

The Vita in Japan is a pretty good analogy of a second place console turning things around with a new sku; clearly not all the way to first, "brink of death" to highly respectable.

joecanada

I think the real answer is somewhere in the middle. PS3 had a real price barrier but had alot of potential and features... And exclusives later... Xbox could indeed crawl up out of the hole they are in but the hardware lacks some potential... Price and lots of games, some add on features could keep them going. But they aren't ever going to compete worldwide

Top Bottom