• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

rpmurphy

Man those Vita numbers. Dire times.
qfNMXqa.gif

Wii: HEY, HEY-HEY! VITA-KUN!

I do hope I can get a 2K for cheap sometime.

I always supposed that in its first months (2-3), Wii U did better than GC and only later, things started looking worse. I was wrong.

No, unfortunately that's not the case. Wii U will have a very long road ahead of it. But maybe there will be some hope that it can find a place as a good complementary console; a nice contrast from the PC/PS4/X1.

Actually closer than PS3 vs. 360 in NA, but yeah -- reversal in terms of position compared to the other.

I don't think so. Rest of the world (minus US) will be 2:1 at the very least.

July will be interesting...

XB1 down in sales after Kinectless boost... 100-120k?
PS4 up in sales after TLOU release...220-250k?

PS. My guesses in based in a 4 week month.

I think we can just go ahead and say that every month this year has been or will be interesting :p

JLeack

Banned
Serious question: isn't it just a risk for retailers to stock the PS Vita? It seems like an absolute unsalvageable travesty at this point.

prwxv3

Nowhere in my post did I suggest price was the only deciding factor. I was just talking price because at this point it seems like the only card they have left to play.

Going lower than the PS4 will have some affect. You can't ignore how many 360 owners haven't bought a next gen console yet.

The problem is that I do not think investors are going to want to let the xbox division to burn money for a price cut right now. They really don't have unlimited cash to use.

Surprised the PS4 outsold the XBox One during it's relaunch month.

Impressed how Minecraft continues to sell.

Amazed that site hasn't been taken down yet.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm glad the actual numbers were posted. Needs to happen every month. Treating the gaming industry's sales numbers like a secret that you have to pay money to see is a goddamn joke.

Please explain to me why companies have to tell the public (and more importantly, their competition)outside of investor meetings how their business is doing every single month

Especially during an industry transitional periods where new strategies are being attempted and innovation, success, and failure are all in flux

Man those Vita numbers. Dire times.

The one consolation we have here is that the PSV was basically unavailable. So even if people wanted them, they were fairly impossible to find in stores. Of course, that just speaks to how little SCEA cares about the device. If they don't do a holiday Minecraft bundle, they will officially show just how little they care.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
DKCTF is a modern day gaming travesty sales wise as its GOTY so far and one of the top 5 greatest side scrolling platformers of all time.

Serious question: isn't it just a risk for retailers to stock the PS Vita? It seems like an absolute unsalvageable travesty at this point.

I imagine it strongly depends on Sony's return policy and the like but yes serious times ahead for the little guy

I debated adding that as an addendum.

But I figured might as well leave some low hanging fruit out there for grabbing by the inclined.

You know me too well lol

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
PS4 did good. XBO did... decent. That's basicly that in terms of winning NPD for a forseeable future if they don't do a price cut. People saying that XBO will win November due to Halo isn't taking into consideration that PS4 is selling more 3rd party software. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Evolve and Grand Theft Auto V will all help push the PS4 far more than Halo can push XBO. NPD just got very predictable for everyone except a hardcore few who believe in prophecies.

Bitanator

The Vita being close to 2 million units is the most impressive data from that website, for me.

We knew it was 1.8-9 million though, hardly surprising or something to clap about

They have barely been giving it space to begin with, it won't get any better

prwxv3

Just more proof that Retro should have worked on something else. Yes, I'm still mad.

To be fair business wise in a bubble a sequel to DKR ( that sold very well on Wii) made sense. However out of the bubble it made no sense with so many platformers already on the system.

cakely

So many posters are lamenting the Vita selling 15k in NPD June, but I assure you, there weren't any in the retail channels to sell. Amazon, Gamestop, and Best Buy had no PCH-2000 available all throughout June.

I really hope this is something that changes, and soon, because there's renewed interest in the Vita, if only as a Playstation 4 accessory.

Tomodachi Life selling that much makes me happy. I was done with it after two or three weeks, but I enjoyed the hell out of it while it lasted. Fun little time-waster. I hope the next title is a little bit meatier, but I'm already sold.

So many posters are lamenting the Vita selling 15k in NPD June, but I assure you, there weren't any in the retail channels to sell. Amazon, Gamestop, and Best Buy had no PCH-2000 available all throughout June.

I really hope this is something that changes, and soon, because there's renewed interest in the Vita, if only as a Playstation 4 accessory.

I bet if Sony relaunched the Vita as an accessory to keep the PS4 leveled, it would sell better.

whateverblah

Neo Member
No, a website posted NPD's numbers. And bravo to them. Think about how fucking stupid it is that the numbers are hidden. I can go to boxofficemojo.com right now and see how the new Planet of the Apes movie is doing.

Agree 100%. Movie and DVD sales are announce publicly.

FZZ

Banned
Please explain to me why companies have to tell the public (and more importantly, their competition)outside of investor meetings how their business is doing every single month

Especially during an industry transitional periods where new strategies are being attempted and innovation, success, and failure are all in flux

Because they may or may not be relevant to certain consumers. And charging people interested who may want to invest in these products or companies is unfair because of how expensive it is to actually obtain data. It's the same reason why box office numbers are given weekly and why media create gives out data weekly.

To summarize this thread so far: Microsoft needs compelling exclusive content and fast. Nintendo turned in a decent month and everyone hopes that isn't a one month thing. Sony is doing well but they need to do more to save us from the evil MMO/MOBA/smartphone gaming apocalypse.

I hope I didn't miss anything.

sphagnum

Banned
I hope Wii U holds up but I can't really see it staying above 100k. I guess there will be some post-E3 buyers getting it out of excitement for the future, but Wii Sports Club isn't going to move any consoles by itself. August will be another dead zone. We probably won't see it pick back up again until Hyrule Warriors and even that probably won't be a huge bump...

Top Bottom