• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Ms home market

360 dominated ps3 last gen

Xbone trailing ps4

Problems for ms.

Pretty much this. PS4 has a lock on the global market, its not even close.

Then PS4 beats Xbone in its home territory?

Not the end for MS, but it certainly means the Xbone will be a far less relevant console than the 360 was.

Reallink

To be fair business wise in a bubble a sequel to DKR ( that sold very well on Wii) made sense. However out of the bubble it made no sense with so many platformers already on the system.

You also have to consider probably 75-90% of U owners also own a 3DS, which is itself awash in 2D character platformers. Nintendo have milked the genre worse than AC or CoD at this point, so perhaps it's time they start under performing.

And another one;

del2yijhi.png

Averaging out, the PS4 is selling exactly 1.5 times more than the bone in NA, which is ironically the spec differential as well. :p

lol that graph is something else. Using XB1 sales as the unit of measurement. That's hilarious and insightful. But mostly hilarious

Anth0ny

PS4 is pretty much guaranteed to be the best-selling platform until October.

That month MS has some chance of winning due to the co-marketing and exclusive beta [?] for Alien Isolation and Evolve combined with Sunset Overdrive. Not to mention that FH2 is slatted for end of September

I'm not particularly convinced they will win the month but it is at least partially in contention.

November is also in contention due to COD and HMCC but again I'm not convinced how likely that outcome is.

That all being said, I wouldn't completely discount XB1's chances this holidays as anything is possible

I don't know. If Titanfall month couldn't do it, and price drop month couldn't do it, I don't think any month will surpass PS4. Certainly not an Alien Isolation/Evolve/Sunset Overdrive month.

Maybe
Halo 5 month?

I think something crazy and unexpected would have to happen for Xbone to surpass PS4 in monthly sales at this point.

StevieP

Banned
You also have to consider probably 75-90% of U owners also own a 3DS, which is itself awash in 2D character platformers. Nintendo have milked the genre worse than AC or CoD at this point, so perhaps it's time they start under performing.

are you really comparing an entire genre to 2 heavily produced series'?

Bitanator

With the Vita hopefully being restocked now, do you think the pent up demand will have an effect on sales in the next couple months? Or will Sony only replenish shit amounts until the holiday's in hopes that their secret weapon(Minecraft Bundle if it happens) will help jump start the breathless device?

Will a new marketing push with that Marcus Rivers kid send it to a respectable holiday season.

GamerJM

Banned
You'll have to explain it to me another way, because I still don't get it.
When I didn't get numbers myself, I WANTED them. Because, hell, I was curious and I thought it be cool to know. But it's actually potentially rather damaging. Everyone get's their own sales numbers - they don't subscribe to NPD to get that, you know what you sell to a retailer because they buy from you and then report back sell through. You subscribe to something like NPD so you can see what competitors are doing, and overall trends in the marketplace. What's selling, what's not. It's inside information used to make business decisions.

Gaming is still primarily technology driven, and that technology is still considered a competitive advantage. Things are tested, tried, failed, succeeded, etc. It's not like movies where the format is basically ubiquitous, and box office is primarily driven by marketing and talent. Talent wants these things public so they can negotiate better salaries and make better decisions on what films to do when they know what is successful and what isn't, and marketing wants to use figures in their marketing to make more money, or internally pitch studio execs for bigger budgets.

yadda yadda. not a big deal. I get frustrated when I want to know something and can't too, but it's not "stupid" - there's reasons for like, everything

I wasn't part of this discussion before but this post has me curious. What's the difference between gaming being technologically driven and movies not? How are things tested, tried, failed, succeeded in a way that's different than the film industry?

Are you saying that gaming is an industry in which what does and doesn't result in success is still largely being figured out, whereas film isn't? And if so, what about films that break the typical mold of what either is or isn't successful?

I'm not trying to argue with you about this here, I'm just genuinely interested, since I don't know that much about video game marketing or film marketing.

An incredibly high 51% of Nintendo 1st-party software revenues was realised on the Wii U this month.

Compare that to last month's 57%, and April's 20%.

iori9999

Banned
Can you imagine the sales once more retail games are released on the PS4? I'm assuming it will be a good August because of TLUO?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
It wouldn't surprise me if it actually ends up being TLOU purely based on the PS4 having more units in the wild than either Wii U or PS4.

What? The original TLOU was at like 1.8m several months after release right? TLOU PS4 isn't going to suddenly sell gangbusters all of a sudden. I think there's no way it beats the 1st month numbers of Watch Dogs and MK8, although I think it'll do well for an enhanced port. The game came out last year and the two audiences for this game are folks who didn't have a PS3 and the game who now have a PS4, or the small percentage of people who'd like to play an enhanced version after owning the original.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Looks like MK8 did ~135k digital so far.

Much better than one would expect.

In regards to 3DS SW H1 sales, it seems Nintendo omitted that part from their press release. Is it slightly behind comparatively to last year if you don't mind me asking?

I don't know. If Titanfall month couldn't do it, and price drop month couldn't do it, I don't think any month will surpass PS4. Certainly not an Alien Isolation/Evolve/Sunset Overdrive month.

Maybe
Halo 5 month?

I think something crazy and unexpected would have to happen for Xbone to surpass PS4 in monthly sales at this point.

Again I think XB1 outselling the PS4 any month until probably a true big hitter like Halo 5 seems unlikely, but its certainly not impossible.

An incredibly high 51% of Nintendo 1st-party software revenues was realised on the Wii U this month.

So that's versus the 3DS right? And 1st party titles on that system?

artist

Banned
lol that graph is something else. Using XB1 sales as the unit of measurement. That's hilarious and insightful. But mostly hilarious
What would you like me to compare it against? Obviously a lot of market conditions are different, do you think time adjusted past numbers are that good of an indicator going forward?

How is that ironic?
Multiple assurances (including from Microsoft) that spec differential wont decide the outcome (or people dont care!).

Maybe
Halo 5 month?

A multiplayer-only game was doomed before it started and a kinectless unit is not technically a price drop. Everyone keeps bringing out the Titanfall card, but I think the game in particular is not a strong arguing point. If Respawn had included a strong campaign to compliment the multiplayer part of the game, I think it could have done much better. We'll never know though.

Again I think XB1 outselling the PS4 any month until probably a true big hitter like Halo 5 seems unlikely, but its certainly not impossible.

So that's versus the 3DS right? And 1st party titles on that system?

Total software revenues Nintendo accrues as a publisher. So against DS, Wii, and 3DS 1st-party titles.

What would you like me to compare it against? Obviously a lot of market conditions are different, do you think time adjusted past numbers are that good of an indicator going forward?

Nah comparing against XB1 is perfectly fine. I just find it funny is all. Reminds me of what prodigy was saying.

come on, where's my "everything in multiples of Vita" chart by now

But then it would always be "IT"S OVER 9000!"

lol
:'(

Total software revenues Nintendo accrues as a publisher. So against DS, Wii, and 3DS 1st-party titles.

Right that's what I meant just didn't qualify it properly. Good for Wii U, Bad for 3DS

iori9999

Banned
The funny thing is I didn't play much of TLUO and returned it because they offered a full refund to me at amazon and my backlog is huge.. I am seriously considering getting this version on the PS4 if it offers a true upgrade from the original..

I dislike labeling the $399 SKU as a price cut. It wasn't a cut. It was an unbundling of hardware to allow a lower entry price point. The official MSRP of the Kinect bundle remains unchanged.

I think we could see some form of a real price cut as soon as this holiday. Maybe a $399 Kinect bundle. It is then that we might see Microsoft pull ahead.

Of course, it'd probably be brief, given Sony could easily react. Sony has historically been highly competitive on price in the console space, so they could do a counter price drop. PS2's 2002 price cut to $199 was arguably completely unnecessary, yet they went ahead and did it. Even the incredibly hard to manufacture PS3 got a $100 price cut shockingly fast, though out of desperation moreso than a reduction of costs, despite what throwing out BC allowed.

Dat thirst

del1a6kvn.png

Here are the growing LTD differences visualised in hard data form:

PS4 + XBO approximate LTD differences:

As of November 2013: 229,000
As of December 2013: 184,000
As of January 2014: 314,000
As of February 2014: 324,000
As of March 2014: 384,000
As of April 2014: 469,000
As of May 2014: 589,000
As of June 2014: 661,000

Given the current rate of PS4 + XBO expansion, I'd say PS4 will be ahead of XBO by a million by the time we'll enter the 2014 Holiday season.

I said could win October. I think it will be very close.
And a bigger install base isn't going to help move more PS4 units. It will help them move more software in October, but not hardware.

Word of mouth man. Those 1 million extra people The PS4 has on X1 by then will be trying to get their friends on the same consoles. I don't see the X1 ever being number 1 unless there's another $100 proce cut (and assuming Sony doesn't react)

vcc

Here's the growing LTD differences visualised in hard data form:

PS4 + XBO approximate LTD differences:

As of November 2013: 229,000
As of December 2013: 184,000
As of January 2014: 314,000
As of February 2014: 324,000
As of March 2014: 384,000
As of April 2014: 469,000
As of May 2014: 589,000
As of June 2014: 661,000

Given the current rate of PS4 + XBO expansion, I'd say PS4 will be ahead of XBO by a million by the time we'll enter the 2014 Holiday season.

Isn't the rift also enormously larger when you factor international install base?

slapnuts

I commented before these systems launched that PS4 would be the global leader for Gen8. The last few months show me that is true.

But is the Xbox One doomed? From what I gather it is selling well- just not at the fantastic levels of the PS4. As first year libraries go, it is building a nice catalog of games. Is it feasible that the Xbox One just sits at second place with a nice library of games or do people think MS is looking to kill off the system?

no disrespect but have you been sleeping in a cave since the launch? You haven't noticed all the moves MS has been doing to sell more Xbox Ones? It's obvious there is a problem moving Xbox One consoles.

Sharpeye

Word of mouth man. Those 1 million extra people The PS4 has on X1 by then will be trying to get their friends on the same consoles. I don't see the X1 ever being number 1 unless there's another $100 proce cut (and assuming Sony doesn't react)

And who knows how well the Destiny bundle will do. Also if there is a Ps4 GTA5 bundle like with the ps3, than Sony has the holiday in the bag.

Isn't the rift also enormously larger when you factor international install base?

Well, the X1 is completely dead outside the UK so yea, the WW gap must be in the millions now (maybe 4 million? )

And who knows how well the Destiny bundle will do. Also if there is a Ps4 GTA5 bundle like with the ps3, than Sony has the holiday in the bag.

A GTAV bundle would just be overkill, haha. I still want it to come out in October to see what games suddenly get delayed.

jnWake

Dat Mario Kart thirst. It should be the 2nd best selling Wii U title on the US already, right?

(A bit funny how the best 3 selling Wii U games have Mario in the title haha. Mario never disappoints)

It's quite disappointing because Vita is squandering its short-term sales potential. If Sony wasn't so horrible at restocking this month that figure wouldn't have to be so low.

See that intrigues me. I have always thought of Sony as potentially having the best distribution chain of the three considering consumer electronics has always been their main thing. Do you think maybe it could be retailers not accepting them because they're not selling? Or sony phasing the Vita out in the US?

Reallink

are you really comparing an entire genre to 2 heavily produced series'?

Nintendo's brands specifically, yes. You could transplant any character into their left to right, World 1-X to 8-X template. It's not at all dissimilar from AC or CoD. Note I referenced Nintendo specifically with the milking comment, not the genre in general, though a lot of it does fall into the same trappings.

JoeM86

Nintendo's brands specifically, yes. You could transplant any character into their left to right, World 1-X to 8-X template. It's not at all dissimilar from AC or CoD. Note I referenced Nintendo specifically.

You could, sure, but you'd be erroneous in doing so...

Duxxy3

I'm calling it now. PS4 wins every month for the rest of the year.

Right now I am giving November and maybe December to XB1. I'm expecting that a halo bundle, along with 360 users upgrading for advanced warfare, will push sales. I think the 360/PS3 port of COD will be bad enough that it will push the fanbase to current gen.

See that intrigues me. I have always thought of Sony as potentially having the best distribution chain of the three considering consumer electronics has always been their main thing. Do you think maybe it could be retailers not accepting them because they're not selling? Or sony phasing the Vita out in the US?

With Sony's introduction of PlayStation TV and their focus on cloud services like PlayStation Now, you honestly have to wonder sometimes.

I know Sony cares about Vita's existing install-base since they buy so many games but, in terms of enticing new customers, the introduction of the Vita Slim 2000 SKU in the USA has been extraordinarily haphazard.

With Sony's introduction of PlayStation TV and their focus on cloud services like PlayStation Now, you honestly have to wonder sometimes.

I know Sony cares about Vita's existing install-base since they buy so many games but, in terms of enticing new customers, the introduction of the Vita Slim 2000 SKU in the USA has been extraordinarily haphazard.

Curious if SCEA does anything for Vita's minecraft release because it has the potential to bump it up a little. I honestly don't think they care anymore

Yeah, it is an uphill climb for the Xbone, and September will likely be a slaughter for them with Destiny coming out...
I don't know...
Will be interesting to see if Microsoft would just stand by and allow X1 to lose NPD for the entire year...
I don't think that has happened since the OG Xbox days.

Opiate

Now those are healthy hardware numbers.

The problem hasn't been the PS4. The problem, so far, has been that the second and third place consoles have been particularly weak. The Wii ended up being a relatively weak first place system in unit sales LTD, but that was fine because the second and third place systems were relatively strong. The PS4, in turn, may end up being a moderate-to-strong first place system, but if the second and third place systems fall off the face of the earth, that still would represent dramatic contraction for the home console space overall.

Top Bottom