• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
What?!?

npd_home_201406zxql1.png

Can you remove the first two months from this chart and have them all start at 0 from the third month? I believe that the front loaded sales of PS4/XBO give an unfair impression of how well these are selling.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Xbone looks too high, what happened to double last month?
Based on internal sales surveys and not NPD. Their internal team was either off or MS PR for whatever reason decided double is good enough for a press release.

Can you remove the first two months from this chart and have them all start at 0 from the third month? I believe that the front loaded sales of PS4/XBO give an unfair impression of how well these are selling.
And cutting out the early adopters and assumed early adopters that were hindered by supply is fair? Just wait a little bit, you'll get your gloom and doom soon enough.

Usobuko

Banned
A rough summary so far

-----------------------------
Hardware Monthly Sales

PS4 ~ 269k
XB1 ~ 197k
3DS ~ 152k
Wii U ~ 140k
360 ~ 62k
PS3 ~ 42k
Wii ~ 19k
PSV ~ 15k

Hardware US LTD's as of July 5, 2014

PS4 ~ 3573k
XB1 ~ 2916k
WIU ~ 2548k
Vita ~ 1840k

June Software Sales

Tomodachi [3DS] 138k Retail, 37k Digital
Mario Kart 8 [WIU] 470k [Retail + Digital]
All Other New Retail Handheld Games sans Tomodachi < 7k
UFC [PS4] 160k [XB1] 118k
Minecraft [360] 151k [PS3] 144K
Watch Dogs [PS4] 210k [360] 154k [XB1] 137K [PS3] 117k

LTD Software Sales

Mario Kart 8 [WIU] 753K Retail Standalone, 885k Total
Watch Dogs [PS4] 793K [XB1] 500K [360] 326k [PS3] 255k
Wii Fit U [WIU] 48K
Tomb Raider DE [PS4] 179k [XB1] 99k
Donkey Kong Country TF [WIU] 285k
PvZ Garden Warfare [360] 295k [XB1] 163k
Titanfall: [XB1] 1010k Retail Standalone [360] 614k
Infamous SS: PS4 648k
FF13: Lightening Returns [PS3] 139k [360] 74k
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles [PS3] 77k
FFXHD [PS3] 276k
South Park SoT [360] 289k [PS3] 236k
Dark Souls II [360] 289k [PS3] 236k
Tearaway [PSV] 67k
TW101 [WIU] 83k

Thanks, was looking for this post.

I think that's his point. None of the consoles right now are marketing the entire demographic consisting of "people who play video games," well right now, the PS4/Xbox One are too expensive to develop and make games for and marketed entirely towards young adult males, the Wii U only really appeals to Nintendo fans and there is little reason for third-parties to jump on board. PS4 will do well because it captures the young adult market well. Either the entire industry is going to decline or the entire console landscape is going to have to change.

Unless we're completely wrong and the PS4 just does bonkers and ends up appealing to a wide audience.

I don't see how PS4 is doing things much different then PS3 or 360, so in using that logic it should do at least aswell as those consoles. On top of that PS4 will probably not share his crib or cookies with another twin.

There is nothing unfair about it just each gen has it own context and we need to wait longer along with more data .
It could be said PS2 sales were high each month because it took longer for people to get there hands on it and it was only system worth buying then .

So with 269k, the PS4 sold ~ as much as the leader of the last gen in the US?

Well the leader would be the Wii and it selling less than that but if you use 360 it selling around the same but has bigger install base in the same time frame.

I don't see how it's unfair. It's a cumulative graph.

Ajax35

Banned

Selectively removing data doesn't make the data more fair.

FDC1

How in the hell is it unfair?

Usobuko

Banned
Now that I realized Watchdog launched in may and there was no other big blockbuster for June, PS4 numbers seem sufficiently good.

I'll be interested to see Destiny impact, not just on PS4 but on next gen consoles as well.

Why is it "unfair" that PS4/XB1 were front loaded? If Wii and PS2 weren't supply constrained they'd be front loaded too, and then you'd see similar "slumps" in the following spring/summer.

I'm so sorry that reality doesn't support the narrative you want to believe yet.

goonergaz

Looking at the XBO line that's looking pretty much near a flat-line with a slight upturn this month due to kinectless which will no-doubt be gone from next month. PS4 looks healthy but not stellar (as you say, very front loaded) but then it is selling much better than it's competition so I don't see why Sony need to be too concerned...and of course it has some big hitters to come over the next 6-12 months to help boost it.

goonergaz

Why is it "unfair" that PS4/XB1 were front loaded? If Wii and PS2 weren't supply constrained they'd be front loaded too, and then you'd see similar "slumps" in the following spring/summer.

I'm so sorry that reality doesn't support the narrative you want to believe yet.

I think he just mean to would give a fairer repersentation of how sales are going...if you look at XBO it's ahead of PS2 but clearly it's going to fall behind very soon...for me the first few months are really just too 'busy' with too many variables (shortages etc) whereas from month3 in things are clearer

There is nothing unfair about it just each gen has it own context and we need to wait longer along with more data .
It could be said PS2 sales were high each month because it took longer for people to get there hands on it and it was only system worth buying then .
And just like the PS2, the XB360 had a one year headstart as well. It was the only next-gen device you could buy in 2006.

The comparison with individual launch aligned console sales is flawed because you lose the context of market situation.

DryvBy

I don't think they'll ever beat the PS4 unless they lower the price $100 below the PS4. But 2nd place isn't bad.

thuway

July and August are looking to be somewhat stagnant months as we roll on into September. Once September hits, I think we'll see a demonstrable PS4 and X1 boost from Destiny.

October is the month of - everything -, and November / December roll outs of the big hitters will seal the year. It'll be fun.

Rad-

PS4 numbers don't seem that great either. It really needs some interesting games. Haven't started mine since January.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please provide the sales figures for PS3, 360, and Wii of each month from first year's launch until June. There is a particular comparison I want to make.

ethomaz

Banned
Well without the front loaded sales it could be selling more right now... for example Wii was just not front loaded due supply issues... without supply issues it could sell more in December and less in June for example.

So yeap you need to count the front loaded sales.

Dire

Why is it "unfair" that PS4/XB1 were front loaded? ...

He said an unfair impression, which I think is a reasonable choice of words.

The impression it gives you is that one system is selling much better than it actually is in comparison to previous gens for many people. If you look at the slope of the graph -which is not only a better indicator of present sales but also of future sales trajectory- it tells a far different story, but I don't give the average viewer enough credit to expect him/her to intuitively appreciate the difference.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Okay, I'll pick this out of all the replies.

I don't have a narrative. I just wanted to get the big lump of initial sales out of the way and see how they aligned after release hype. I'm also aware that the comparison would be unfair to PS4/XBO since they'd lose a lot of consumers in the first year. I didn't intend for it to be a fair comparison, I just wanted to see the graph. :(

Vast.

Banned
So with all the doom and gloom and backhanded compliments, Xbox One actually did almost triple of last months sales?

Well, lets see how the rest of the year plays out. Ps4 definitely has more momentum and Last of Us/Destiny will help the next few of months. But Microsoft looks to have stronger holiday titles with Sunset Overdrive, Forza, and Halo, and Call of Duty advertising. Wonder if they'll take some mindshare back.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Doing this in your mind is so hard, only the true Sales-Age elite can do this.

yjUQust.png

I think the PS4 will be a little more high due Destiny release and XB1 more low due at no more Kinectless effect.
This is not intended as a serious forecast, it's intended to poke fun at the notion that people can't extrapolate simple lines in their mind.

Frillen

I fear this generation is going to see a huge to medium decline in hardware sales. Reaching out to those Wii owners who bought the Wii because of Wii Sports/Fit etc is going to be a challenge. The Bone and the PS4 thus far is mostly reaching out to the hardcore, while the Wii U is only reaching out to Nintendo fans. I remember back in the PS2 days and one of the reasons as to why the PS2 ended up selling the most in Europe was because of Singstar and Buzz.

Could VR be new thing that will catch the none hardcores? Because right now, the people who bought PS2s for Buzz and Singstar and Wiis for Sports and Fit are more than happy with their iPhone and iPad games. I don't see them buying home consoles again unless there's something huge that will attract them.

FDC1

The impression it gives you is that one system is selling much better than it actually is in comparison to previous gens for many people. If you look at the slope of the graph -which is not only a better indicator of present sales but also of future sales trajectory- it tells a far different story, but I don't give the average viewer enough credit to expect him/her to intuitively appreciate the difference.

Let's say by exemple every American has bought a PS4 day 1, every single one of them. So after that, sales are pretty much non existent. Would a graph without the launch period be fairer than a graph with it? Context is everything. If you have sold X consoles, that's pretty much X consoles you can't sell anymore.

ethomaz

Banned
Doing this in your mind is so hard, only the true Sales-Age elite can do this.

yjUQust.png
I think the PS4 will be a little more high due Destiny release and XB1 more low due at no more Kinectless effect.

I'm looking at these numbers in the next three months:

July: XB1 130k / PS4 220k
August: XB1 110k / 200k
September: XB1 160k / 350k

Of course it is too early to predict and I will change it with need releases in next months.

Except the front-loading is most likely the sole reason why sales are so slow now- the early adopter crowd that usually buys new consoles over the first year or so mostly bought in the first three months, whereas the "wait for more games/a price drop" crowd is waiting just like they've always been.

There are plenty of month-on-month comparisons to 2001/2006/2007 thrown around in these threads that you can use if you want to claim that consoles are doomed. A graph of LTD sales should show LTD sales, though, not LTD sales excluding the months that make your pre-conceived narrative look wrong. That's some Fox News-level shit you people want to pull.

Game Guru

wouldn't there be at least some upsell as well? I.e people getting into gaming via smartphones and tablets that wouldn't normally buy a console, and then buying a console because they want even more? So smartphones being an on-ramp for consoles.

I doubt any upsell from the mobile market will enter the console market. Mobile actually has more in common with PCs than consoles in that PC has a primarily digital market like the mobile market has and PCs have a form of pointer control in the mouse akin to the touchscreen. It'd be as weird for them to move away from a pointer based interface to controllers as it would be for console gamers to move away from controllers to embrace a mouse and keyboard or a touchscreen. In addition, the PC is most likely to have more robust games in the genres mobile users would likely love which I assume would naturally involve using a pointer interface.

Freeman

Banned
If the PS4 does so well in a month like this I assume it's sales are going to explode in September with the Destiny bundle. The window of opportunity MS will have to sell more than the PS4 will be of about 2 months and they are unlikely to pull it off.

The way is paved for PS4 domination, 2015 is going to be huge for it with Bloodborne, The Order 1886, MGSV, FF XV, Uncharted 4 and more.

That doesn't make any sense. Them being front loaded effects sales in the following months. You need launch in mind to understand how they are selling.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please provide the sales figures for PS3, 360, and Wii of each month from first year's launch until June. There is a particular comparison I want to make.

Quoting myself because I really, really would appreciate this. I want to add my own graph which I hope will be insightful.

Davey Cakes

TW101's struggles were to be expected. New IP, very niche, on a struggling platform with nearly zero marketing.

Nintendo's efforts to promote Bayonetta 2 are FAR better. I hope that game sees success where TW101 saw complete and utter failure.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TW101's struggles were to be expected. New IP, very niche, on a struggling platform with nearly zero marketing.

Nintendo's efforts to promote Bayonetta 2 are FAR better. I hope that game sees success where TW101 saw complete and utter failure.
It probably won't tbh. I mean it won't sell as catastrophically. But not that much better in terms of absolute units.

kinoki

That doesn't make any sense. Them being front loaded effects sales in the following months. You need launch in mind to understand how they are selling.

I did some thinking. What I really want is the January-June sales of the first full year they've been out.

Top Bottom