• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Dynedom

What?!?

npd_home_201406zxql1.png

Don't read into it

It's kind of weird to see the PS2 looking a LITTLE slow out of the gate (at least compared to Wii and PS4) considering it is the highest sold console of all time.

When did the PS2 have that BIG jump?

PS2 reached that status due to amazing initial sales along with unbelievable legs. Its sold 60 million in the generation after its own iirc. Just think about that for a sec.

AniHawk

Hmm...good to know.

Although I'm very picky when it comes to this stuff and usually always get games/consoles new. Hate getting used stuff (except cars XD).

Still, thanks for the links :D.

according to the people who get them, they're like new. the current theory is that they're unsold stock from the original nintendo land bundles. feel free to ask around in that thread.

It's kind of weird to see the PS2 looking a LITTLE slow out of the gate (at least compared to Wii and PS4) considering it is the highest sold console of all time.

When did the PS2 have that BIG jump?

If that graph is it's first year then wasn't it only available in Japan at first and the came to the US and EU later?

aTTckr

Has there been any indication about the percentage of games being sold digitally on current gen? I assume that people who have already bought a current gen console are the ones who buy more digitally than those people that still use last gen consoles. Unless we know the digital share, the current gen software sales numbers provided by NPD are pretty much useless, or am I wrong?

The Wii is long gone out of the reach of the PS4 (for the first 4 years or so), the hype among non gamers was way too strong for that console, only to be matched by its fall of grace with the rapid sales decline, discontinuation and failure of its follower the WiiU. It's a shortlived console, but what a rollercoaster it was. The Wii name is a bit of an anomaly in the industry.

A more valid approach is that of the PS2 vs the PS4, both were and are poised to dominate the console space for a long period of time. The PS4 has the best launch but the month to month sales has been lacking behind the PS2 as we can see in the steepness of the line graph. It's is going to be interesting to see if the PS4 can catch on with the best selling console ever.

PS2 reached that status due to amazing initial sales along with unbelievable legs. Its sold 60 million in the generation after its own iirc. Just think about that for a sec.

Yeah that part I know. I just mean when exactly did the PS2 take it's biggest sales jump? From either month to month or year to year?

PS2 sales are too scary.

You could remove its LTD in USA (50m+), and still make PS2 WW LTD be about 100m.

That is more than X360 and PS3 WW LTD. ._.

AniHawk

PS4 sales are crazy considering big hitters will start arriving this fall

holiday should be good, but in the sense that holidays are generally always good. i don't know what's there that will really push hardware sales into new heights. 2015 is the year where it seems everything will start hitting.

Both PS4 and X1 had amazing launches but since then the sales haven't been that great. after the first two months the XB1 line is basically parallel with gamecube, and the PS4 is doing rather poorly for a top selling console

I don't think you can determine the final slope of the XB1 or PS4 lines until another month or two. They both had an unusual launch in that they had far more supply available at that time relative to other launches. Basically sales that would have normally occur later were moved up because people didn't have to wait as much.

I didn't realise this is a thread about LTD sales and not June 2014s result.

Yea. Who needs that pesky context when people are trying to manipulate the data to fit their own agenda?

Shengar

Asia market dude. I remember how PS2 is a popular gift for kids that perfomed good at their school in 2007-2008. It's popular not only because of the library of games, but also because easily pirated a perquisites for a console to gain success in Asia that is not Japan.

PS4, compared to PS3 has grown significantly in US (so far) and EU as well.

Considering the PS3 is at 84 million or something like that now, PS4 certainly has a notable chance to over take the Wii's LTD. PS2 is just unreachable.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's safe to say at this point that Xb1s best chance of winning of the NPD is when the Halo:MCC comes.
If MS can't win then I can easily see it being a long while before they ever win.

A rough summary so far

-----------------------------
Hardware Monthly Sales

PS4 ~ 269k
XB1 ~ 197k
3DS ~ 152k
Wii U ~ 140k
360 ~ 62k
PS3 ~ 42k
Wii ~ 19k
PSV ~ 15k

Hardware US LTD's as of July 5, 2014

PS4 ~ 3573k
XB1 ~ 2916k
WIU ~ 2548k
Vita ~ 1840k

June Software Sales

Tomodachi [3DS] 138k Retail, 37k Digital
Mario Kart 8 [WIU] 470k [Retail + Digital]
All Other New Retail Handheld Games sans Tomodachi < 7k
UFC [PS4] 160k [XB1] 118k
Minecraft [360] 151k [PS3] 144K
Watch Dogs [PS4] 210k [360] 154k [XB1] 137K [PS3] 117k

LTD Software Sales

Mario Kart 8 [WIU] 753K Retail Standalone, 885k Total
Watch Dogs [PS4] 793K [XB1] 500K [360] 326k [PS3] 255k
Wii Fit U [WIU] 48K
Tomb Raider DE [PS4] 179k [XB1] 99k
Donkey Kong Country TF [WIU] 285k
PvZ Garden Warfare [360] 295k [XB1] 163k
Titanfall: [XB1] 1010k Retail Standalone [360] 614k
Infamous SS: PS4 648k
FF13: Lightening Returns [PS3] 139k [360] 74k
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles [PS3] 77k
FFXHD [PS3] 276k
South Park SoT [360] 289k [PS3] 236k
Dark Souls II [360] 289k [PS3] 236k
Tearaway [PSV] 67k
TW101 [WIU] 83k

Decent numbers for PS4.

GamerJM

Banned
Cream, I know I might be getting on your nerves asking for that every month, but do you happen to have an update on Yoshi's New Island :)?

I'm guessing there isn't a small difference, but I actually bought that game on a whim last month and ended up enjoying it. I must be one of the few.

slapnuts

3.5:2.9 PS4 to Bone LTD doesn't seem all that dominating. 20% difference?

mbjfw2A.jpg

So 197k for X1, 269k for ps4.
X1 numbers are not bad at all, but PS4 is literally untouchable right now.

Considering NA was Xbox land last gen, it's a fairly big change from last gen.

Some people keep forgetting the real factor which is World Wide sales, we are talking a few millions difference between X1 sales vs PS4 sales, PS4 has sold millions more than X1 WW.

Infamous total sales are not great considering it was the only big exclusive in a barren period.

Hopefully this means a new i.p next time from Sucker Punch. Please.

Some people keep forgetting these are just physical software numbers, these numbers are not counting Digital Download sales, correct me if I am wrong.

Considering the PS3 is at 84 million or something like that now, PS4 certainly has a notable chance to over take the Wii's LTD. PS2 is just unreachable.

As PS4 is going to be the dominating console for this generation, based on the launch and last 7 months, I think the PS4 at worse might end up like the PS1 and Wii (100-105m) and at best somewhere in between the PS2 and the PS1.

holiday should be good, but in the sense that holidays are generally always good. i don't know what's there that will really push hardware sales into new heights. 2015 is the year where it seems everything will start hitting.

Well I expect that non delayed versions of big franchises (Fifa, Cod, AC , etc) will push people into upgrading so holidays will be better than last two years but You are right that it doesn't mean they will be better compared to PS2/Wii holidays.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I want to see what Destiny, Dragon Age, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed and all those holiday titles do to the LTD. I'm guessing we're looking at a double sales per week? (PS4 - 110k/w; XBO - 60k/w)

As PS4 is going to be the dominating console for this generation, based on the launch and last 7 months, I think the PS4 at worse might end up like the PS1 and Wii (100-105m) and at best somewhere in between the PS2 and the PS1.

imo, the new market realities in japan are going to seriously hinder the PS4's run to 100mil.

AniHawk

i understand the thought process, but i think it's too optimistic.

the console market is nearly gone in japan. it's probably a good 3-5m units sony won't get back. in the us, the platform is off to a good start, but it's acting like a second place console right now. the 360 didn't reach wii's numbers on its own either- there was a huge push in 2010 for kinect, with a $500m marketing campaign to get it there. if you're directly comparing it to the wii, it's already at that point where things will start lagging behind.

europe is one big question mark. it is undoubtedly sony's turf, but how well the ps4 is doing and compared to the ps3, nobody really knows for sure right now thanks to intentionally vague shipment numbers.

70-80m sounds about right to me. that is if it's about as popular in the us as it is in europe, can pick up a cool 5m in japan, and make up the rest around the world. it really depends how long it will stay on the market. that depends how rapidly the market shifts and how useful consoles will be in the near future.

Doesnt MasterChiefCollection come out in November? So are people suggesting PS4 would lose November? Especially considering how 3rd parties are key sellers and they are selling better on PS4? Not to mention at the end of day remastered games dont sell 5m+ usually. Heck, considering that XB1s LTD in USA is below 3m, how the heck would they even sell 2m, if the mighty Titanfall has sold just about 1m+ on XB1.

...You know what, even if XB1 would sell more than PS4 in November, By about 100k, it would still be at least 400k behind PS4.

XB1 just cant beat entire LTD of PS4 in USA :v

random25

Asia market dude. I remember how PS2 is a popular gift for kids that perfomed good at their school in 2007-2008. It's popular not only because of the library of games, but also because easily pirated a perquisites for a console to gain success in Asia that is not Japan.

This. PS2 was plagued with piracy that even on markets that are not strong on video games bought the system during its prime. Plus DVD movies boom (and piracy) too. That was practically the only investment and just buy the new and hot games for a dollar or 2, or use it to watch pirated DVDs too.

I think this gen we won't see a home system even reaching 100 million LTD, unless they will have 10 years of lifespan (even that sales is a reach after 10 years), or piracy starts to plague this gen.

slapnuts

The funny thing is I didn't play much of TLUO and returned it because they offered a full refund to me at amazon and my backlog is huge.. I am seriously considering getting this version on the PS4 if it offers a true upgrade from the original..

Same here man, i never even played TLOU so now i can enjoy it at its best with the remastered PS4 edition. Can't wait!

imo, the new market realities in japan are going to seriously hinder the PS4's run to 100mil.

How much has PS3 sold in Japan, 9 million. The PS share has already shrunk in that country. For arguments sake, If catastrophe hits the PS4 and only manages to sell 6 million, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't have a big impact on the final LTD.

DieH@rd

Banned
Doesnt MasterChiefCollection come out in November? So are people suggesting PS4 would lose November? Especially considering how 3rd parties are key sellers and they are selling better on PS4? Not to mention at the end of day remastered games dont sell 5m+ usually. Heck, considering that XB1s LTD in USA is below 3m, how the heck would they even sell 2m, if the mighty Titanfall has sold just about 1m+ on XB1.

...You know what, even if XB1 would sell more than PS4 in November, By about 100k, it would still be at least 400k behind PS4.

XB1 just cant beat entire LTD of PS4 in USA :v

Difference between PS4 and Xbone in USA right now is little over than 650k. PS4 will increase lead in August, September and October, even possibly managing to create 1 million of buffer space if Destiny sales get high PS4 ratio in October.

If MS wins in one month by 100k, that will not make any difference [same as December 2013]. Momentum is in PS4's side, we dont know how Master Chief will perform, and in any case, PS4 will expand its lead quickly after that with two very important Q1 2015 exclusive games (Bloodbourne and Order 1886).

Not sure if this is relevant but people seem to like charts so here is another one. All I'll say is that it looks like 5-6 years is the life span of a console generation. I think part of the gaming industry's contraction is due to one part the Wii being a fad and another part due to the last generation simply running out of steam. It's going to take a while before this generation can build up enough good games to sustain the previous fan base.

total_tv_sales_annotated_large.png

the console market is nearly gone in japan. it's probably a good 3-5m units sony won't get back. in the us, the platform is off to a good start, but it's acting like a second place console right now. the 360 didn't reach wii's numbers on its own either- there was a huge push in 2010 for kinect, with a $500m marketing campaign to get it there. if you're directly comparing it to the wii, it's already at that point where things will start lagging behind.

europe is one big question mark. it is undoubtedly sony's turf, but how well the ps4 is doing and compared to the ps3, nobody really knows for sure right now thanks to intentionally vague shipment numbers.

70-80m sounds about right to me. that is if it's about as popular in the us as it is in europe, can pick up a cool 5m in japan, and make up the rest around the world. it really depends how long it will stay on the market. that depends how rapidly the market shifts and how useful consoles will be in the near future.

Nah.

70-80m is way too pessimistic for the console that is poised to be the number one leading brand. That is like apocalyptic for the industry if that happens, unless for some miracle WiiU or Xbox One is picking up that slack and reverse its course in a manner of which has never been seen before ever in the history of videogames.

Striek

The graphs provide context for both. Not sure what your problem is.
That you would post an LTD graph as proof that things are hunky dory, when it illustrates my point quite well. It shows mediocre sales of the PS4 in June, and poor to awful sales of the Wii U and XBOne.

I feel like if I had phrased it "average PS4 sales" instead of mediocre (even though they mean the same thing) you would not be riled up.

What truth are you exposing?

Espousing (sic) not exposing. Doesn't need exposing since the data is out there in plain sight. The reality of the console market, obviously, as the numbers tell it.

This conversation reminds me of jutting up against Wii U fans when December 2012's NPD hit. But but but its still ahead of the Wii's pace of sales, you can't say its not good!

slapnuts

Xbox One was close to 200K. I feel happy for this sales although it is still behind PS4. And also happy for Wii U. Sad to see Vita is still struggling in US.

I really expect all consoles/handhelds have good sales. Sad to see fanboys want to see any of gaming device go to die...

Well its not tanking like some people think X1 is....but i would say hold your breath until next NPD to see of X1 numbers go back down because you gotta keep in mind that these numbers do represent a larger portion of Month of May buyers that held off to buy X1 until the price drop landed which these NPD numbers of June represent.

Oh and yeah i agree it is sad to see people actually want to see X1 fail, that defeats the purpose of being a gamer even if you do not own or have any interest in X1, having two consoles competing only means better games for all of us and better deals for all of us but the biggest point i want to make is that at the end of the day regardless if you are a fanboy of a system or just a lover of gaming as a whole...we are still all on the same team, into the same hobby or i should say have a passion for the same thing.

Bruno MB

Digital sales ratio for some 3DS titles:

(First month of sales)

Code:
Digital sales

[3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - 63,000 (35%)
[3DS] Tomodachi Life - 37,000 (21%)
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 103,000 (20%)
[3DS] Bravely Default - 35,000-40,000 (18-20%)

mo60

The Wii is long gone out of the reach of the PS4 (for the first 4 years or so), the hype among non gamers was way too strong for that console, only to be matched by its fall of grace with the rapid sales decline, discontinuation and failure of its follower the WiiU. It's a shortlived console, but what a rollercoaster it was. The Wii name is a bit of an anomaly in the industry.

A more valid approach is that of the PS2 vs the PS4, both were and are poised to dominate the console space for a long period of time. The PS4 has the best launch but the month to month sales has been lacking behind the PS2 as we can see in the steepness of the line graph. It's is going to be interesting to see if the PS4 can catch on with the best selling console ever.

The PS4 is most likely going to be the PS1 of this gen. It may sell as much as the PS1 did by the end of the gen in the US which I don;'t have the numbers for currently.Does anyone know the final ltd of the PS1 in the US? I don't see the PS4 selling anywere near the 360,Wii or PS2 in the US. In europe I don't see the PS4 selling anywere near the PS2 and Wii(most likely). The rest of the world besides Japan is unknown currently.The rate the PS4 is selling currently indicates that it may end up with an LTD around 5 or 6 million by November most likely in the US.

At worst Japan will take away 5 million. PS4's gains in the US will be far more than that.

I do think its too early to judge but from my understanding and guessing PS3 sales are split like this:

US: 28 million
JP: 10 million
EU: 36 million
Other: 10 million

It must be also noted PS4 is will be entering China too. The US gain will be vital imo in its ability to do 100m+ as well the sales in Other countries. Thats where the PS4 has the potential to make its gains.

beril

How much has PS3 sold in Japan, 9 million. The PS share has already shrunk in that country. For arguments sake, If catastrophe hits the PS4 and only manages to sell 6 million, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't have a big impact on the final LTD.

PS3 is currently at 10 million in japan. PS4 "only managing 6 million" in japan would not be a catastrophe, it would be a fucking miracle. Also PS3 is only at about 80 million after 8 years, so that's not the console you should be comparing it to if you're speculating about a 100M LTD

The PS4 is most likely going to be the PS1 of this gen. It may sell as much as the PS1 did by the end of the gen in the US which I don;'t have the numbers for currently.Does anyone know the final ltd of the PS1 in the US? I don't see the PS4 selling anywere near the 360,Wii or PS2 in the US. In europe I don't see the PS4 selling anywere near the PS2 and Wii(most likely). The rest of the world besides Japan is unknown currently.The rate the PS4 is selling currently indicates that it may end up with an LTD around 5 or 6 million by November most likely in the US.

PS1 liek Wii is around the 103 m mark. It is to my knowledge still the second best sold ever behind the PS2.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110722094946/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps_e.html

Top Bottom