• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

shinnn

Watch Dogs [PS4] 793K [XB1] 500K [360] 326k [PS3] 255k
Titanfall: [XB1] 1010k Retail Standalone [360] 614k

Uh. Titanfall XBO beated even WD PS4. Didn't know that.

Seems like TF also brought a bigger bump for the Xbox One than the "price cut"?

The RROD was also covered under a 3 Year Warranty and the vast majority of people got theirs repaired for free, which I don't think is deniable.

More than half of the people I know with 360s had it RRoD after 3 years was up (myself included, it was my 3rd RRoD, the first two were warrantied).

I may have the unluckiest bunch of friends known to man, but with what I've experienced there's no way I can support the claim that the vast majority were fixed for free.

Jomjom

Banned
It will be interesting to see if the xbone has a drop next month. I would imagine some of the boost in june was due to the delayed purchases.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Ok, so 1st week sales on Xbox One were strong, but install base helping 360 in the long run.

And since last-gen version of the game will drop in price faster it'll have longer legs too. Expect it to be PS4 > 360 > XBO > PS3 for quite some time in regards to second month sales of cross gen games.

360 Watch Dogs > Xbone is kinda weird to me. Doesn't seem like a good sign for the Xbone.

Was it a bad sign for the PS3 when PS2 games were outselling it? Unless you completely drop support for the previous generation, this is normal. Nearly 100 million consoles sold is bound to have huge sales, even if only a small percentage get the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm assuming this is a typo? Is Dark Souls that popular?

Dark Souls sells pretty well overall, especially in the West.

I mean it's like a 2-3 million LTD type game, so it's not the biggest thing around by modern standards, but it's still one of the biggest Japanese RPGs.

It shipped 2.3 million as of April 2013: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538569

It's probably over 3 million now given the PC version is over 1.4 million now, whereas it was much lower back then: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/steam-gauge-addressing-your-questions-and-concerns/2/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
360 Watch Dogs > Xbone is kinda weird to me. Doesn't seem like a good sign for the Xbone.

It's not actually outselling it overall though. The LTDs imply that people who bought an Xbox One were the same people who ran out and bought Watch Dogs immediately upon release, whereas there are more people on Xbox 360 who show up and buy it late, even if they're a smaller audience overall.

Watch Dogs [PS4] 793K [XB1] 500K [360] 326k [PS3] 255k

Given the new consoles just came out, that they would primarily stock immediate buyers isn't too surprising.

prag16

Banned
So I was late to the party.. what was all the hubbub about the "gamecube hut" leaks? All I see now is single SKU top 10s, and some YTDs pretty much. How is that leaking "fucking everything" like some people are saying? It's not like they dished out top 100 software charts with LTDs for everything listed...

ethomaz

Banned
So I was late to the party.. what was all the hubbub about the "gamecube hut" leaks? All I see now is single SKU top 10s, and some YTDs pretty much. How is that leaking "fucking everything" like some people are saying? It's not like they dished out top 100 software charts with LTDs for everything listed...
Everything from March to now... full hardware sales and TOP10 SKU.

prag16

Banned
Everything from March to now.

Right, but wasn't it just single SKU top 10s, then some YTD hardware info (among a few other nuggets)? Or was there a lot more data shown at some point that has since been removed? If what's there now is all there ever was it doesn't seem to me like a huge crisis for anybody, but what do I know.

EDIT: Just saw the edit. Gotcha. It was just that reading some of the reaction posts several pages ago, I would have thought it was top 100 software SKUs with LTDs for everything.

ethomaz

Banned
Right, but wasn't it just single SKU top 10s, then some YTD hardware info (among a few other nuggets)? Or was there a lot more data shown at some point that has since been removed? If what's there now is all there ever was it doesn't seem to me like a huge crisis for anybody, but what do I know.
All hardware sales from March to June plus TOP10 SKU for these months.

Just like NPD used to be.

Edit - I'm on phone and it takes time to edit and see edits :)

So is the PS4 near 10m yet? It has to be getting close.

7 million end of March.

US : 2929.7k
JP: 506k
Rest of the World: 3564.3k

Assuming US : Rest of the World ratio is the same,

PS4 LTD

US: 3573k
RotW : 4347k
JP : 120k

Total : 8040k

Ratio is probabaly more skewed towards RotW now so I'm guessing its somewhere between 8-8.5 million.

ethomaz

Banned
I was just thinking a little about releases...

XB1 is now the console with NO GAMES? After WD nothing until September?

ethomaz

Banned
7 million end of March.

US : 2929.7k
JP: 506k
Rest of the World: 3564.3k

Assuming US : Rest of the World ratio is the same,

PS4 LTD

Ratio is probabaly more skewed towards RotW now so I'm guessing its somewhere between 8-8.5 million.
Why 120k Japan? Seem like more 8.5m for end of June with corrected Japan.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
PS4 June 14 : 270k
360 June 07: 198k

360 June 06 : 277k (360 was the only next gen console at the time)
360 June 08 : 219k
360 June 09 : 240k
360 June 10 : 451k (Slim introduced)
360 June 11 : 507k

Even more impressive is that PS4 is keeping up with 360's pace despite the difference in LTD's:

360 : 2003k ( no PS3 or Wii, they launched in 07)
PS4 : 3573k

In addition 360 had a SKU at $299.99 while PS4 has only one at $399.99.
Your comparison is rather lopsided. Talking about the SKUs: The 300$ SKU did not much for the 360 and was quickly discontinued, because it was nealy useless without an hdd (you couldn't even use the bc, you wouldn't have been able to play many games that released later on without an hdd). Having no competition is not necessarily a positive for Xbox 360, because, thanks to the slow start in Europe and Japan, as well as the hype for the successor to the then-market leader, software support suffers in comparison to a situation where all console-makers have already started into the new generation. Microsoft and Nintendo both shooting themselves in their feet might very well be fortunate for PS4 compared to a situation where one or both of the other systems was till to release.

Nevertheless, I'm positive that PS4 will be the most successful console since the PS2, both, in the US, and worldwide.

prag16

Banned
Why 120k Japan? Seem like more 8.5m with corrected Japan.

Yeah, japan number was a typo looks like. Probably more like 8.5 based on that extrapolation. They MAY be close to 9 at this point, but it would stand to reason that 10 is still some months away. Gamescom sounds like a pipe dream.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, japan number was a typo looks like. Probably more like 8.5 based on that extrapolation. They MAY be close to 9 at this point, but it would stand to reason that 10 is still some months away. Gamescom sounds like a pipe dream.
If TLOU can hold US in 250k range I can see close to 10m in middle August.

630k is LTD. Everything sold before April 6th is already counted in the 7M.
But the maths needs to use 630 and not 120 because he is using LTD for US and RotW.

Opiate

Why 120k Japan? Seem like more 8.5m for end of June with corrected Japan.

I suspect that 120k was what the PS4 has sold from March-June, which is just about right. It sold ~530k in the launch months, ~120k since then, for a total of ~650k. I definitely agree that the ratio is probably more skewed towards PAL now, so ~9M is a reasonable estimate for LTD PS4 sales.

ethomaz

Banned
I suspect that 120k was what the PS4 has sold from March-June, which is just about right. It sold ~530k in the launch months, ~120k since then, for a total of ~650k. I definitely agree that the ratio is probably more skewed towards PAL now, so ~9M is a reasonable estimate for LTD PS4 sales.
But US and RotW estimates are LTD... so he needs to use 630 instead 120.

The math is wrong.

PS4 LTD

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Diablo III and Metro Redux

I just realised that there is no big fantasy game on the consoles but come now we'll have pretty regular games. Diablo III, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadows of Mordor and The Witcher III. I wonder how big the fantasy group is that's ready to jump into their next generation. Or, have I missed a fantasy game?

Opiate

But US and RotW estimates are LTD... so he needs to use 630 instead 120.

The math is wrong.

Oh, I completely agree. I was just offering an explanation for where his error came from, not trying to suggest no error was made.

As stated, with corrected math the PS4 LTD using his method would be 8.6M. Assuming a heavier PAL tilt (which is a reasonable assumption), the total should be ~9M now.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I just realised that there is no big fantasy game on the consoles but come now we'll have pretty regular games. Diablo III, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadows of Mordor and The Witcher III. I wonder how big the fantasy group is that's ready to jump into their next generation. Or, have I missed a fantasy game?

Everyone is obviously waiting for the one true fantasy GOAT to jump in.

Dragon's Dogma 2

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wii U numbers are good, but the best numbers of the month are the notification of how Lightning Returns failed and FFX HD outsold it greatly.

Hilarious. I cannot believe how badly Square has gone off track. That obsession with the Lightning character is ludicrous and they deserve the bad sales.

Now, give me a FF12 HD remake.

Top Bottom