• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

The ps4 is appealing to the types of people that purchased 80 odd million consoles in 8 years at the moment, thanks to its software focus. I find it highly suspect that anyone should claim it will sell to market segments that made the ps1, ps2, Ds, Wii, etc massive sales that vaulted them to the mass market successes they were.

Move could take off better probably with the current positive perception. Maybe Wonderbook as well.

The ps4 is appealing to the types of people that purchased 80 odd million consoles in 8 years at the moment, thanks to its software focus. I find it highly suspect that anyone should claim it will sell to market segments that lead the ps1, ps2, Ds, Wii, etc to massive sales that vaulted them to the mass market successes they were.

You mean 160 odd million consoles.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wonderbook taking off lol
Why not? Now where Gamecube numbers aren't failure even though Iwata said if all they can do is match Gamecube numbers then they should stop being in this business anything can happen.

It's a new world.

Why Do I have an hour? I an on a phone, people mentioned the prediction thread already one page ago. Be fair bishop.
You could've prevented this by posting smart instead of merely posting on a smartphone.

I need to workshop that line

The ps4 is appealing to the types of people that purchased 80 odd million consoles in 8 years at the moment, thanks to its software focus. I find it highly suspect that anyone should claim it will sell to market segments that lead the ps1, ps2, Ds, Wii, etc to massive sales that vaulted them to the mass market successes they were.

The PS1 and PS2 sold to essentially the same audience as the PS3. The only difference is that the PS3 and the 360 split the demographic, whereas the PS1 and PS2 had it basically all to themselves.

So I was just looking at Wii sales on Wikipedia and is this correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales

The Wii sold 20 million consoles (WW) in one year?

EDIT:

Nintendo sold +20 million consoles every year for 3 years? Yeah, PS4 is definitely not gonna sell (let alone outsell) the Wii at that rate.

Whether PS4 sells/outsells Wii doesn't hinge on the console's first 3 years performance. PS1 had a completely different sales pattern, yet it sold more in the end. Wii was a fad that burned out of its sales in 3-4 years. PS4 sales history will resemble more of a bell shaped curve, it will have longer legs.

another poster walked right into the classic bish trap. there's no escaping now

No I didnt, dude knows there was a finance thread months ago. It was mentioned by someone else as well, really?

Then he doesnt respond knowing there was a ms financial thread but also knowing its going to take me forever to find a link on a phone.

StevieP

Banned
You mean 160 odd million consoles.

Neither you nor I properly took into account a large overlap in "core" gamers.

Regardless - with a ton less software (more of which is the same type that appeals to the same demos) I don't think any the appeal will be there to entice the market required for large numbers. The ps1 and ps2 appealed to the mainstream consumer, despite others' assertions here. Not just "core" gamers.

Edit: and who knows. Maybe the ps4 will also be a "fad" if it only sells decently for 4-5 years. Lol :/

Lemondish

No I didnt, dude knows there was a finance thread months ago. It was mentioned by someone else as well, really?

Then he doesnt respond knowing there was a ms financial thread but also knowing its going to take me forever to find a link on a phone.

Sounds like he took that into consideration. I imagine you would have received 10 minutes otherwise :p

Ive read some crazy shit on GAF but this blows everything out of the water.

I think with the right marketing, Wonderbook could be a hit for Sony. You already have famous writers like J.K. Rowling supporting it, and with the announced Disney partnership, Move and Wonderbook are poised to ride the success of PS4 and make an amazing comeback.
too obvious?

Amir0x

Banned

you're already further ensnaring yourself in the trap. instead of talking here you should be feverishly combing through topics! Don't you understand this is your initiation!? If you pass you'll be a confirmed NeoGAF survivor and accepted regular!

benny_a said:
Why not? Now where Gamecube numbers aren't failure even though Iwata said if all they can do is match Gamecube numbers then they should stop being in this business anything can happen.

It's a new world.

This brave new world is incomprehensible to me though frankly lol

Regardless - with a ton less software (more of which is the same type that appeals to the same demos) I don't think any the appeal will be there to entice the market required for large numbers. The ps1 and ps2 appealed to the mainstream consumer, despite others' assertions here. Not just "core" gamers

Core gamers are the mainstream consumer for video game consoles.

Or other people already mentioned it and your just trying ti be s jerk?

IGQzbEF.gif

gtj1092

Don't think its too far fetched to assume the XB1 is massively over shipped in Europe when there are enough consoles to fill the shelves of non launch countries and the shelves of the actual tier 1 countries.

Regardless - with a ton less software (more of which is the same type that appeals to the same demos) I don't think any the appeal will be there to entice the market required for large numbers. The ps1 and ps2 appealed to the mainstream consumer, despite others' assertions here. Not just "core" gamers.

Edit: and who knows. Maybe the ps4 will also be a "fad" if it only sells decently for 4-5 years. Lol :/

Any particular reason you believe the PS1/PSX appealed to mainstream consumers? PS2, Wii and DS obviously did. Others could be argued and perhaps even the PS1 could be argued as such, I just don't see it. Maybe it's ability to play CDs I guess?

Nintendo really had no other moves to keep going after 2011.
I strongly disagree. Nintendo went into "Gamecube mode" and began making (and sequel-ing, in the case of SMG2) games that were not the ones selling the most on Wii. They had plenty of moves. They simply decided not to pursue them either because of lack of talent or lack of ambition.

I mean they threw out another Wii sports,
Yeah and it sold insanely well. The issue is that Nintendo didn't follow up with Sports Resort. To explain, Nintendo came out with Wii Sports which a lot of people loved, and then the world asked "this is really cool! I wonder where it will go next?" In some cases, Nintendo's ideas bombed (Wii Music) but in other regards, the next step for motion controls was wildly successful (Mario Kart, Wii Fit). Wii Sports Resort was - objectively - a decent leap forward for motion controls, but what came after? Nothing. Nintendo had no mass-market game to expand upon the ideas of Sports Resort.

but for their other leading games other companies put out like 50 clones. Some argue they could have done SF and Fzero but how much would those have honestly sold?
Odd that you say such a thing. Most of the clones (especially the ones that sold well) came out within the first few years of the Wii's life. They didn't stop Sports Resort and Wii Party from selling incredibly well.

This does not make sense to me. The "market segments" that led those consoles to success have remained, for the most part. They're just non-buyers at this point because current consoles are still too expensive for mass-market consumption (for economic reasons). The only thing stopping PS4 from reaching 100m would be either a near-total collapse of the console industry, in which case people may still flock to the PS4 since it will have the most games and people don't like to bet on a "loser" when things are rocky. Or, another thing that can stop PS4 from reaching 100m would be competition like we saw last gen between PS3, Wii, and 360. However, neither the X1 nor the Wii U are going to cut into PS4's sales to any significant degree.

Amir0x

Banned
oh man he has the thread, but with 33 pages @ 50 ppp to scour through

this is not looking good folks, i'm pulling up the lawn chair and taking bets

Road

ok, hold up, can someone provide me with NPD's LTD for the Nintendo 64 and Xbox (I assume Gamecube and 360 are 11.7m and 41.5m respectively, correct me if I'm wrong)

You're right.

NPD USA HARDWARE TOTAL (from jan-1995 to jun-2014)

DS __ 53.8
PS2 __ 46.4
WII __ 41.8
360 __ 41.5
GBA __ 36.3
PS1 __ 30.5
PS3 __ 25.9
PSP __ 20.2
N64 __ 18.0
XBX __ 14.5
GC __ 11.8
DC __ 4.1
SAT __ 1.4

3DS __ 12.3
PS4 __ 3.6
XBO __ 2.9
WIIU __ 2.5
PSV __ 1.9

Unconfirmed numbers including pre-1995 data:
GB/GBC __ 38.2
SNES __ 20.0
GEN __ 18.5

All in millions of units.

Save in a txt for future reference. =P

I doubt anyone considers the overlap to be so significant.

I think what happened with the PS2 base is that it got split between 360 and PS3. Though both consoles were unable to regain audiences in Asia, other countries and Japan like the PS2.

I don't think any Playstation has been considered a fad simply due to their sales gradient. Don't see why Ps4 will be any different in such regards.

Ahhhh ok. We are the mainstream? So that's why games like vanquish and the vita sold so well.

What do Vanquish and the Vita have to do with anything?

The only home console that has ever seen success targeting a non-gamer demographic was the Wii, and that was a passing fad. The PS4 may have less "mainstream appeal" than the PS2, but that will hurt it only at the margins because the PS2 was itself aimed squarely at the core gamer market.

oh man he has the thread, but with 33 pages @ 50 ppp to scour through

this is not looking good folks, i'm pulling up the lawn chair and taking bets

That's actually just one of his claims

I didn't misread anything and I'm still waiting for your link to the UK numbers as well as a link to the GAF consensus estimate of 4.5 mio by the end of March. Tired of you spitting out numbers without any sources.

Other people mentioned it, not my fault you ignored them.

1. XB1 is approaching 500k in the UK and here

2. Gaf consensus estimate of 4.5M by end of March for XB1 WW

Lynn616

No.

Sony just release PS3 + PS4 shipment but it was over 7.5 million at April because the 7 million sold to consumers.

Ok, I looked up the Sony financials.

Oct-Dec 7.8 PS4+PS3
Jan-Mar 3.7 PS4+PS3

If the PS3 stayed equal with 360 shipments then it should have been 4.3 Million of those. Meaning PS4 shipped 7.2 Million through March.

Any reason to believe the PS3 shipped less than that?

edit:

Going forward. If the next quarter stays the same as last then the PS4 should have hit 10.1 through June and X1 should have hit 6.

So I am going with this:

Through June 2014

PS4 10.1 Million shipped
X1 6.0 Million shipped

ascii42

Imru’ al-Qays;121902235 said:
What do Vanquish and the Vita have to do with anything?

The only home console that has ever seen success targeting a non-gamer demographic was the Wii, and that was a passing fad. The PS4 may have less "mainstream appeal" than the PS2, but that will hurt it only at the margins because the PS2 was itself aimed squarely at the core gamer market.

PS2 was targeted at everyone, over time. Hence stuff like EyeToy and SingStar.

PS2 was targeted at everyone, over time. Hence stuff like EyeToy and SingStar.

Just because it had games that appealed to a variety of non-gamer demographics doesn't mean the console was successful because it successfully appealed to them. Proto-Blue Ocean games like Singstar were a tiny proportion of the PS2's software sales. They were an absolute majority of Wii software sales. The Wii was targeted at non-gamers, the PS2 was not: it was just a core-oriented console that had games targeting non-gamers at the periphery, like any other console.

You've been asked for sources by me and others on your claims about the 4.5M "GAF consensus" and "XB1 selling 0.5M in the UK in 2014 alone".
No one asked for a source on MS shipping 5.1M as of March. Everyone knows that.

You never asked this keep making stuff up. Its also not what bishop quoted.

You're right.

NPD USA HARDWARE TOTAL (from jan-1995 to jun-2014)

DS __ 53.8
PS2 __ 46.4
WII __ 41.8
360 __ 41.5
GBA __ 36.3
PS1 __ 30.5
PS3 __ 25.9
PSP __ 20.2
N64 __ 18.0
XBX __ 14.5
GC __ 11.8
DC __ 4.1