• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Zen

Banned
Holy damn those Vita numbers are terrible even for Vita numbers... I do not understand. I mean are numbers even lower than usual in anticipation of the Vita 2000/Borderlands 2 bundle? It is an amazing handheld.

I do not get why third party publishers basically decided to kill it in favor of mobile when they could have easily made more money with easy/cheap ports of their more gamer centric titles (Deus Ex: The Fall, Mall Effect: Infiltrator, Gamelofts output, Hitman, etc). It is completely mind boggling.

Sony should not give up on portable gaming, but post Vita they should look to making a cheap PS4/PS3/PSN Now streaming shell, and basically roll their dedicated mobile gaming into their phones, with official stick/button addons, first party software for those phones, and a dedicated non phone version that can be bought at a much lower price.

Sure they will never made the money off of royalties that they once did, but it will help bolster other revenue streams.

Orayn

I don't think they could launch mid gen. Even if they matched the specs of the PS4 and got the same multiplats, people already own PS4s so why buy another similar system?

I have no idea what they can do. Hopefully they're smarter than me.

Maybe they just need to do something outrageous to ride out the rest of this gen, and try to become the Xbox 360 or PS2 of the next one.

It pains me so much to think that they could have been in that position for this gen if different choices were made.

pooptest

60k difference for one month is nothing. It's when there's a consistent 100k+ difference people should take notice.

People acting like Xbone is done for are fools and probably fanboys.

Releasing their most hyped game and still losing the month? If there was no Titanfall this month, how much of a gap would there be?

fedexpeon

Banned
Is 60k a huge difference in hardware sales? It seems like a drop in the bucket, but it's been a couple years since I've looked at sales figures. Everyone is acting like Xbone is done for

Because no one cares about the X1 beside NA/UK. Even with TF packed inside it.

It is basically like going to your house, and your mom tells you to get the eff out, and your adopted brother is better than you.
Where do you go now? Your neighbor's house?
Your aunt can take you in, but her favorite will always be her son and not you =(.

Now I feel bad for the X1...please someone let him inside the house. It has TF after all.
The WiiU can stay outside though.

60k difference for one month is nothing. It's when there's a consistent 100k+ difference people should take notice.

People acting like Xbone is done for are fools and probably fanboys.
Worldwide, PS4 probably sold ~380k more than Xbox One during March. Just because the U.S. was close doesn't mean Microsoft isn't getting pummeled.

Moneal

It is basically like going to your house, and you mom tells you to get the eff out, and your adopted brother is better than you.
Your aunt can take you in, but her favorite will always be her son and not you =(.

Now I feel bad for the X1...please someone let him inside the house. It has TF after all.

wow best analogy ever LOL

impact

Banned
Not anymore.

Yep. People who don't give a shit about MS or Sony are gonna be buying PS4s because their friends have PS4s and they want to play CoDlefield with their friends. Same shit that happened with the 360 last gen.

PS4 is the new 360 (in America)

EL CUCO

Im inclined to believe the Vita IS sold out at most major retailers. Friend of mine had to go to 4 Bestbuys before he finally found one.

I also heard from a buddy that works at Gamestop that Sony wasnt shipping out anymore Vita 1000 stock and only taking Vita 2000 pre orders.

Hmm, so assuming a roughly 2.5M WW difference, 500K from Japan.
400K from NA.

That leaves a 1.6M disparity in the everywhere else category. The bulk of which will come from Europe, considering only very small quantities are presumably going to other territories.

I'm in the boat where I think that there's no need for a panic button, at least in the US, but Microsoft probably does need to do something about European sales. The price is probably the killer, for an already weaker brand.

Salex_

Because what followed was a cocky Sony telling fans "you will want to get 2 jobs to buy this $600 PS3"

Is silly quotes the only reasoning people can use? I think people should check out this great post:
What I got from Sony domination was a console capable of playing all PS1, PS2, and PS3 games. A $600 blu-ray player when blu-ray players were $1000. The only console with HDMI output. The only console capable of lossless sound and DTS sound in games. The only HD console with wifi capability. They provided 3x the HDD space of their main competitor. They provided the capability to upgrade the HDD to whatever size you wanted within the physical dimension limitations.

What I got cost Sony $850 BOM to build and they only charged $600 for it.

Yes, their PR was arrogant and they glossed over omissions like rumble by claiming it was a "last gen feature" and told people to get a second job to afford the system. (If I built something for $850 and tried to sell it for $600 and everyone told me it was still too expensive, I'd probably get upset too)

But the console itself outside of the blunder that was Cell, was a beast of value. And I didn't even buy the PS3 to game. I bought it ONLY for blu-ray and it was an incredible value. 360 was my gaming console of choice last gen.

FZZ

Banned
2013 was up on 2012 because of 1) the release of a budget SKU and 2) the release of Pokemon, Nintendo's strongest handheld franchise.

The equivalent PSP year was when it reached its zenith in terms of TTM sales, the sales in the year were 3.8M i.e. roughly the same as 3DS sales last year which it's down significantly. The PSP was behind, launch aligned by 1.1M three months ago i.e. ~400K of that advantage to the 3DS dissipated in 13 weeks.

If there's to be a 3DS resurgence... what exactly is going to cause it?

You have to look at what's left to release for the handheld. I mean there's Smash Bros, probably another Pokemon game (not a mainline, just the traditional "third" version), third party games that won't see release outside of Japan, and uhhh that's all I can think of that would push hardware.

Honestly I think the 3DS hardware sales have seen their peak, outside of holidays. The only thing I can imagine Nintendo doing is releasing another redesign to replace the OG 3DS, but it'll probably do little for hardware sales if anything at all. As for the holidays I think an even lower price and bundles could give it a slight edge in sales this year, despite all data suggesting otherwise. But that's just a crazy prediction on my part.

what's the consensus, will Nintendo abandon the Wii U shortly after next year, or will I still be able to be a casual gamer and buy my Ninendo exclusives?

Hmm, so assuming a roughly 2.5M WW difference, 500K from Japan.
400K from NA.

That leaves a 1.6M disparity in the everywhere else category. The bulk of which will come from Europe, considering only very small quantities are presumably going to other territories.

I'm in the boat where I think that there's no need for a panic button, at least in the US, but Microsoft probably does need to do something about European sales. The price is probably the killer, for an already weaker brand.

Outside of price, what is there to drive consumers towards the X1? MS has minimal first party IP these days and their online service has lost a good deal of its competitive edge. How many Halo, Gears, and Forzas can they release before the market grows tired of them?

It's more the widening gap between the systems. The gap is already approaching 3 million. The PS4 could be double the XB1 before the year's end

Ah that makes sense

It is basically like going to your house, and your mom tells you to get the eff out, and your adopted brother is better than you.

Weird metaphor dawg. You're gonna be activating some triggers

HowZatOZ

Banned
Holy crap Vita is dead in America. That is an insanely low count. I presume this is due to barely any releases that would hit home for the general population?

Ridley327

what's the consensus, will Nintendo abandon the Wii U shortly after next year, or will I still be able to be a casual gamer and buy my Ninendo exclusives?

Assuming that there's a chance that SSB gets delayed shortly into next year, and the unlikeliness of Zelda being a 2014 title, as well as their plans for their big NFC game yet to be unveiled, I think it's safe to say that there will be something to play on the system in 2015 that's put out by Nintendo.

Dire

Ok. I'm confused, how is this month bad for MS only when TF was #1 in sales on the chart?

Hardware is the big one here. The marketing for Titanfall likely hit the 9 figure mark. Change that "likely" to definitely if we include the moneyhatting, which has been estimated at costing $50million by Pachter. Microsoft was also completely open about their huge expectations for Titanfall:

http://www.businessweek.com/article...hopes-titanfalls-robots-can-save-the-xbox-one

“It’s hard to overstate the importance of Titanfall to the Xbox One release this year,” says Yusuf Mehdi, chief marketing and strategy officer for Microsoft’s devices and studios. “For us, it’s a game changer. It’s a system seller.”

The XBox one actually sold fewer units in March than February when accounting for the 5 vs 4 week tracking periods. This is an unprecedented disaster. During the PS3 era there was a bit of a tongue in cheek system seller chatter about games like Lair or Heavenly Sword, but that was just console wars stuff. Titanfall actually had Microsoft and EA put their money into the game and try to turn Titanfall into a system seller with enormous marketing budgets. They failed - badly.

I imagine you will see a handful of major games for another 12 months, then development will shift to future platforms. Smaller teams will continue to pumpmout second tier titles to tide hardcore Nintnedo fans over though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yep. People who don't give a shit about MS or Sony are gonna be buying PS4s because their friends have PS4s and they want to play CoDlefield with their friends. Same shit that happened with the 360 last gen.

PS4 is the new 360 (in America)

I agree. "What console do my friends have?" is usually the decision maker for casual/mainstream gamers. Sony has the momentum now and eventually that becomes impossible to overcome. I think thuway said Batman: Arkham Knight preorders were 4:1 in favor of PS4. If that's true, it tells you where things are headed.

So I heard you guys need PS3 sales.

Since it's really late out, I guess I'll oblige and fill in the gaps. ;-)

BUT WAIT! I can't just give you the raw numbers! I have to be a bit tricky.

Luckily, with these percentages, you should be able to pinpoint the exact numbers. ;-)

March 2014:

PS3:
-68% from last year
-35% from last month

Wii U:
+3% from last year
-14% from last month

This should be enough to complete the NPD prediction spectrum. Enjoy, guys. ;-)

Schnozberry

They will release a new portable. Whether they even release another dedicated console is probably a better debate. I think they'd be better of releasing their own version of an HD Handheld. They seem to have better ideas in that space, and they can have it connect to a television with relatively inexpensive peripherals. It's pretty clear that Nintendo could be pretty great on it's own if it was only supporting one platform.

Tagg9

Just saw this promotion on Best Buy (Canada). They can't get rid of Xbox One consoles fast enough...

cl4OZdt.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
70k seems like a lot for WiiU. Not lighting the world on fire but the price cut must have had a decent effect on top of some new SW. Still a deserved flop for now.

Gamecube 2 rumors January 2015 and official announcement by E3, white field with black letters "A Love Letter to Core Gamers" onscreen, and Iwata onstage performing dogeza to a bewildered audience with a nostalgic lunchbox-shaped console on a pedestal behind him.

And since we don't have any Nintendo PR, I thought I'd celebrate with some depressing news.

Highest selling Wii U game this month:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 84K

Is 60k a huge difference in hardware sales? It seems like a drop in the bucket, but it's been a couple years since I've looked at sales figures. Everyone is acting like Xbone is done for

They're most certainly not "done for." But they can't be happy with the trends that have developed since launch. In terms of market share, they're losing in the US, where they were the clear market leader last gen. The same is true of Europe.

It's not so much that the sales #'s themselves are bad, because they're actually quite good. It's the potential sales they're losing to Sony's console that are troubling for them. They didn't bring a new console to market to be anything other than the leader in their two biggest territories.

How many commercials have you seen where they end with "now $450" or whatever? I haven't seen one. You have to be on top of it to find one that cheap and they only appear at different retailers at different times.

I'm guessing they are testing the waters and seeming how far they have to drop the price before starting a full on marketing blitz after E3.

They aren't doing so hot now, but they'll get it turned around.

Top Bottom