• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

LittleTokyo said:
Once we all witness the true power of the Cell, things will change.
So "Wait for __CELL__" is the new mantra?

Alternative joke:

Prefect_cell.jpg

THERE WILL BE NO DEFEATING HIM WHEN HE REACHES HIS TRUE POWER

C.T.

wow peple really think Sony was intelligent enough to INVENT blu-ray? Sorry, thats wrong.

IMO DVDs "su(ck)ccessors" are overestimated. It isn't the gap VHS to DVD was you know? If people see no or little gain with big costs required, they won't buy it like hotcockies...

C.T. said:
wow peple really think Sony was intelligent enough to INVENT blu-ray? Sorry, thats wrong.

IMO DVDs "su(ck)ccessors" are overestimated. It isn't the gap VHS to DVD was you know? If people see no or little gain with big costs required, they won't buy it like hotcockies...
At last, the next great GAF poster.

I'll always treasure these few moments we had.

rs7k

I know everybody's down on the PS3, thinking it will fail, but it is $600.

And no, it's not a fanboy excuse to use that price tag as a reason for Sony's sales, because it is $600, simple as that. I have no doubt the PS3 could have launched without Blu-Ray at $400, and it would have outsold the 360 month-to-month. Not by a big margin, but you get the idea: more people trust the Playstation brand over Xbox.

Now, they have to drop the price now, because the 360 will quickly be seen as the console with the most games, and it will be the PS2 of last-gen (Wii notwithstanding). I don't think this generation will last over 5 years, simply because MS and Sony are out to kill each other, so neither console will sell over 40M IMO. Sony doesn't want to be at the point they're about to drop to $200 when the next-next generation is looming. Price cuts this gen will have to be faster methinks.

Not sure if anyone else cares about this, but I was perusing the Double Fine Action News and I read this interesting tidbit of info:

Double Fine Action News said:
According to the last royalty statement we got, we've sold about 400,000 copies, not counting digital distribution, or our company store.

So, Psychonauts sold 400,000 copies across PS2, XBOX, and PC through regular retail channels in NA. That doesn't seem too terrible, really.

JavyOO7

quetz67 said:
The Wii is way overpriced, while the PS3 is a good deal, why cant people see that?

Apparently the Wii is a good deal while the PS3 isn't to most people right now. The numbers don't lie.

Why can't people see that?

Clever Pun said:
So, Psychonauts sold 400,000 copies across PS2, XBOX, and PC through regular retail channels in NA. That doesn't seem too terrible, really.

Well I got one of those copies . . . I think I paid $2.32 for it. Great game but apparently too weird for the mainstream market.

legend166

By the time the PS3 hits $200, it will be all over. Going by $100 a year price drops:

2007 - $500
2008 - $400
2009 - $300
2010 - $200

It will be dead and buried by then.

C.T. said:

623ydll.png
4xv4tic.png

Bungalow Bob said:
I think that by the time it comes down to a mainstream $200, even casual gamers will think of the PS3 the way that they used to think of the GC 2 years ago.

If it drops by $100/year (that is aggresive) it will still take 5 years to reach $199.

The xbox 360 has been on the market over 18 months now and it still hasn't dropped a dime in price. (Probably because they feel zero threat from the PS3.)

C.T. said:

Oh jeez. I was about to start discussing the technical leap but it clearly isn't worth it.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
JavyOO7 said:
Apparently the Wii is a good deal while the PS3 isn't to most people right now. The numbers don't lie.

Why can't people see that?

Lots of people buy Hondas cause they cant afford an Audi.

haunts said:

But Audi owners don't have to sit around and hope other people buy Audis in order to ensure a steady supply of Audi gas. That's what make the console market so different than other markets.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
speculawyer said:
But Audi owners don't have to sit around and hope other people buy Audis in order to ensure a steady supply of Audi gas. That's what make the console market so different than other markets.

Thats a good point, but it's not like PS3 is going anywhere.

rs7k said:
Now, they have to drop the price now, because the 360 will quickly be seen as the console with the most games, and it will be the PS2 of last-gen (Wii notwithstanding). I don't think this generation will last over 5 years, simply because MS and Sony are out to kill each other, so neither console will sell over 40M IMO. Sony doesn't want to be at the point they're about to drop to $200 when the next-next generation is looming. Price cuts this gen will have to be faster methinks.

The xbox was the PSone of last generation, PS2 notwithstanding.

MercuryLS

Banned
haunts said:

There isn't room for a "luxury" videogame system, a console lives and dies by its software (which is dependant on its market penetration).

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MercuryLS said:
There isn't room for a "luxury" videogame system...

Sure there is, thanks to the MARKET EXPANDING technology inside of the Wii.

MercuryLS said:
...a console lives and dies by its software (which is dependant on its market penetration).

There are some good games coming out for the PS3 if you ask me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
woxel1 said:
Anihawk never granted anybody a scholarship. Fission Mailed.

So I forgot about their philanthropic donations. My bad, edited. They seem like nice people.

They're still not funny, though.

haunts said:

On a related note, I think Chevrolet should stop trying to sell family sedans and light pickup trucks and focus entirely on the Corvette line. That should be good for business. After all, everybody wants one, and if they don't, it's just because they're poor.

Also, supermarkets should stop selling Wonder bread. Why the hell don't people wake up and realize that bread is just filler? Every sandwich should be bookended with slabs of porterhouse. Only vegetarians and terrorists and vegetarian terrorists don't eat porterhouse.

While we're at it, let's eliminate public parks. After all, they're just country clubs for poor people. Who needs a jungle gym when you can have an 18-hole, TPC course with pygmy caddies and waiters peddling hot toddies at every ball-washing stand? This is living, folks.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The best thing about the Wii is that it is pressuring Microsoft to drop the 360's price, if Wii wasn't here then Microsoft wouldn't even consider it.

Top Bottom