• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Nolan.

donny2112 said:
Halo 3 had two weeks.

Off the top of my head, GTAIV and Killzone 2.

Yeah just realised I included some multi in those anyway it seems like the pattern is it's pretty damn hard to re-appear the next month even with a big name on the 360 and Ps3.

Shurs

Nolan. said:
Yeah just realised I included some multi in those anyway it seems like the pattern is it's pretty damn hard to re-appear the next month even with a big name on the 360 and Ps3.

Some? The majority of your list are games that were out longer than one week during their release month.

Raist

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'd like to know how Klonoa did... or would I? :(

Also, Nintendo needs to stop resting on its laurels already. The Wii is still doing really well compared to the competition, but it's experiencing quite a drop off. Now that they've got factories churning Wiis out at a fast pace they had better be aggressive enough to keep them from sitting on store shelves and in warehouses. What happened to not getting arrogant and complacent (like Iwata was preaching at the start of this gen)? It's amazing that they've been able to launch at $250 and hold steady, but it's time to start at least offering more options. Announcing the Black Wii for NA would be a good step, as would offering a $200 basic sku without Wii Sports like they have in Japan. Or, and I know this is crazy talk, after 3 years on the market making money hand over fist on each and every hardware sale they could actually consider a meager price cut.

Yeah, that's my feeling too. We'd need some numbers, but I have the impression that as compared to the PS2, it's completely nosediving.
IMO Nintendo were extremely smart and did a great coup, but they've been doing so, so wrong for the last year. Which is puzzling because they have a lot of means to keep doing extremely well with the Wii.

Flavius

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm sorry but I need to say something.

Can all these armchair marketers shut the fuck up?

"I haven't seen ads"

"I've seen like ONE ad on TV"

"I don't see any posters".

Well fuck, SURELY the fact that they haven't reached YOU as an individual MUST mean they've completely not marketed their product.

You guys realise that these companies have MANY forms of advertising? And SOMETIMES they don't advertise in the places you'd think they would?

Here in Australia I'm starting to see way more ads for games on Cable television than Free to Air now, which never happened before.

Radio, Cinema, Posters, Website Ads, there's soooooooooooo many mediums used now, so just because YOU haven't seen advertising, doesn't mean others haven't.

We're pretty much all armchairin' it, far as I'm concerned.

The you shut the fuck ups should be tossed squarely in the direction of the jackasses trying to dam the flow of conversation, instead of letting it take its natural course.

donny2112

Nolan. said:
So far I have:

Halo 3
Guitar hero 3
Gears
Gears 2
L4D
Call of duty waw
Killzone 2
Resident evil 5
Gta4
Tom clancy's Graw
Elder of the scrolls oblivion

+ Bioshock

Actually there's quite a few

It's games that only had one week of sales and still charted the next month. Definitely not Halo 3, Gears, Gears 2, L4D, CoD:WaW, RE5, or Bioshock. I think GH3 is one, though.

FrankT

Yea Bioshock was released on the 21st that month so it had a week and half. I was mistaken as I thought it had released that last week.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm actually surprised at how strong the PS3 is. Sure, it's still a train wreck with seven straight y-o-y declines, but a 44k spread between it and the 360 given this economy and the price difference ain't bad. I was expecting much, much worse.

Nolan.

Shurs said:
Some? The majority of your list are games that were out longer than one week during their release month.

To be honest I started out looking for the ones with one week or less and ended up dragging in ones that re-appeared the following month... then I forgot.

FrankT

Psychotext said:
Okee dokey. Which ones are still wrong on this list?

Take off Oblivion as well. It hit on the 20th that month if this PR is correct. Left 4 Dead should go for sure as well.

Shurs

RSTEIN said:
I'm actually surprised at how strong the PS3 is. Sure, it's still a train wreck with seven straight y-o-y declines, but a 44k spread between it and the 360 given this economy and the price difference ain't bad. I was expecting much, much worse.

Yes, I actually thought it would possibly be under 100K. It'll be down next month (y-o-y) for sure.

I wish one time Sony would release a 1st party title at the beginning of the month. That way their numbers would actually look interesting.

It looks like EA has finally made a potential Wii fit killer with EA Active. :lol

I really hope Red Faction Guerrilla shows up next month. The games so good and I want another fps sequel.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I hate to use the terminology, but Punch-Out!! is probably the most hardcore game of this generation, so the fact that it charted where it did makes me very happy.

laserbeam

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I wish one time Sony would release a 1st party title at the beginning of the month. That way their numbers would actually look interesting.

It looks like EA has finally made a potential Wii fit killer with EA Active. :lol

I really hope Red Faction Guerrilla shows up next month. The games so good and I want another fps sequel.

Active gets more features when combined with the balance Board so Wiifit/Active will be a potent combo for a long time

Raist said:
That's true, but completely paradoxal at the same time. Because if they have a shitload of way to advertise, it's likely you'll see more ads. Especially gaffers who spend a shitload of time online, read mags, watch TV, etc. Unless we all lie and post from our iPhone from a small hutt in the canadian countryside. :p

I dunno :/

But it depends on WHO they want to target.

*Begin semi-wall of text*

Now, I can only use Australia as an example because that's where I'm from.
The Wii, does almost 100% of it's advertising down here on Free to air television, with a LITTLE bit on radio and cable television.

Why would that be? Target market. Mum's and Dad's and Kids. You won't see ANY web ads on forums or websites, and you won't see many posters and shit around.

They wanna hit you where it matters to them. Family is gathered around the TV watching some piece of shit family show where they will then advertsie their family focused game.

Microsoft on the other hand, save their TV advertising down here for:
A) Big names (Halo and Gears)
B) Casual games they want to tap into the Wii market with like Lips.

Basically titles they hope/know will sell some consoles with it.

But as we all know, Xbox 360 is about online. So where do we see most 360 ads? Online. Even poster advertising is saved for the Halos and Gears games. I see ads for 360 games EVERYWHERE online. Forums and Gaming sites alike.

So a casual Nintendo fan isn't going to see many if ANY ads down here for 360 games EXCEPT Halo and Gears, and Lips.

Sony, on the other hand, do the majority of their advertising down here through posters and banners. They also sponsor a lot of events down here. So they really 'get out in the public' if you will.

This dates back to even the start of the PS2 when they used 'graffiti' to advertise the PS2 on popular shopping streets around Melbourne.

Sony just goes for 'everyone' if you will, down here. They want to get the message out there.

So just because the companies HAVE the multitude of options, doesn't mean they're going to waste the money using them if there's no need.

Classic_Gs said:
Bionic Commando bomba?

It seems so. The game isn't nearly as bad as many on GAF think. I really enjoyed it, despite it's problems. A game can have a few glaring faults and still be fun.

It's going to be one of those games where the GAF consensus is that it's total shit, and many who have never played it will accept this as fact, until they pick it up in a bin for $10 in a few months and write a LTTP thread talking about how it's quite enjoyable.

Mama Robotnik said:
casofgaf11.gif
:lol Didn't even know the NPD was coming out today. Ah well.

donny2112

Jtyettis said:
A general idea of how PSP SW sales in the US are would be a great thing indeed.

In January (same source as other January data), DS was almost four times as high as PSP in total software for the month.

jmdajr

Dr. Zoidberg said:
It seems so. The game isn't nearly as bad as many on GAF think. I really enjoyed it, despite it's problems. A game can have a few glaring faults and still be fun.

It's going to be one of those games where the GAF consensus is that it's total shit, and many who have never played it will accept this as fact, until they pick it up in a bin for $10 in a few months and write a LTTP thread talking about how it's quite enjoyable.

truth! the game is far from shit. It got good reviews from many sites.

Shurs

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

They obviously don't give a shit, moving up Infamous.

I expect Red Faction to chart. It released at the beginning of the month.

Here's a preview of next month's NPD (Not in order)

Wii Fit
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Play
EA Sports Active
Tiger Woods PGA 10 (Wii)
Pokemon Platinum
Prototype (360)
Red Faction (360)
Ghostbusters (360)
???

Raist

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
But it depends on WHO they want to target.

*Begin semi-wall of text*

Now, I can only use Australia as an example because that's where I'm from.
The Wii, does almost 100% of it's advertising down here on Free to air television, with a LITTLE bit on radio and cable television.

Why would that be? Target market. Mum's and Dad's and Kids. You won't see ANY web ads on forums or websites, and you won't see many posters and shit around.

They wanna hit you where it matters to them. Family is gathered around the TV watching some piece of shit family show where they will then advertsie their family focused game.

Microsoft on the other hand, save their TV advertising down here for:
A) Big names (Halo and Gears)
B) Casual games they want to tap into the Wii market with like Lips.

Basically titles they hope/know will sell some consoles with it.

But as we all know, Xbox 360 is about online. So where do we see most 360 ads? Online. Even poster advertising is saved for the Halos and Gears games. I see ads for 360 games EVERYWHERE online. Forums and Gaming sites alike.

So a casual Nintendo fan isn't going to see many if ANY ads down here for 360 games EXCEPT Halo and Gears, and Lips.

Sony, on the other hand, do the majority of their advertising down here through posters and banners. They also sponsor a lot of events down here. So they really 'get out in the public' if you will.

This dates back to even the start of the PS2 when they used 'graffiti' to advertise the PS2 on popular shopping streets around Melbourne.

Sony just goes for 'everyone' if you will, down here. They want to get the message out there.

So just because the companies HAVE the multitude of options, doesn't mean they're going to waste the money using them if there's no need.

Yeah sure. To be honest I don't really know who you were responding to... but this "not marketed enough" thing usually appears when an AAA title "bombs" (especially on the PS3. I don't think that's wrong tho). So yeah, if GAFers (who should be the typical target for these kind of titles) don't see many ads, something's wrong.

gkryhewy

Shurs said:

Here's a preview of next month's NPD

Wii Fit
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Play
EA Sports Active
Tiger Woods PGA 10
Pokemon Platinum
Prototype (360)
Red Faction (360)
Ghostbusters (360)
???

I think Tiger Wii will be top 3. EA could be 1-2, actually.

Nolan.

donny2112 said:
Nope. I think the rest all had one week or less in their first month, though.

So that just leaves 7 games with 1 or less than 1 week that have managed to re-appear the next month.

legend166

Shurs said:

Here's a preview of next month's NPD

Wii Fit
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Play
EA Sports Active
Tiger Woods PGA 10
Pokemon Platinum
Prototype (360)
Red Faction (360)
Ghostbusters (360)
???

Grand Slam Tennis might do well.

Haunted

sfog said:
Let's just post the whole thing.

Official Nintendo PR:

NINTENDO DS BRAND CONTINUES HOT STREAK, WII HITS 20 MILLION SALES MILESTONE

June 11, 2009

The Nintendo DS™ franchise continued its strong sales and placed No. 1 across all platforms for May, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. U.S. consumers purchased nearly 390,000 Nintendo DSi™ systems and nearly 244,000 Nintendo DS systems in May, for a combined total of more than 633,000 hand-helds. Total Nintendo DS franchise sales are at more than 31 million in the United States.

Nintendo's Wii™ console also hit a major milestone in May. With more than 289,000 unit sales in May, U.S. Wii sales crossed the 20 million mark after just 31 months on the market, reinforcing its position as the fastest-selling console in history.

"The continued enthusiastic consumer response to our products shows that Nintendo has something for everyone," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "For Nintendo, precision motion controls and social gaming are realities today. Upcoming games like Wii Sports Resort, launching at the end of July, and Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, coming this fall and holiday, will give consumers even more amazing experiences to enjoy."

Six games published for Nintendo platforms finished in the top 10 best-sellers of May in the United States. These include Wii Fit™ at No. 2 with nearly 353,000 sold, EA Sports Active at No. 3 with nearly 346,000 sold, Pokémon™ Platinum Version at No. 6 with nearly 169,000 sold, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 7 with more than 158,000 sold Punch-Out!!™ at No. 8 with nearly 157,000 sold and Wii Play™ at No. 10 with more than 109,000 sold.

donny2112

Jtyettis said:
Yea Bioshock was released on the 21st that month so it had a week and half. I was mistaken as I thought it had released that last week.

I think Metroid Prime 3 was the last week of August. There were a lot of comparisons between the two, so maybe that's how the idea came up.

Psychotext said:

I think it looks good to me. Sorry for being behind on the responses. :lol

Raist said:
Yeah sure. To be honest I don't really know who you were responding to... but this "not marketed enough" thing usually appears when an AAA title "bombs" (especially on the PS3. I don't think that's wrong tho). So yeah, if GAFers (who should be the typical target for these kind of titles) don't see many ads, something's wrong.

But that's what I'm saying. Where are they looking?

Who do you think Sony is going to push inFAMOUS to? Why would they waster their time on TV advertising? Who are they trying to reach?

Sony know inFAMOUS won't sell consoles, so advertising on TV is a waste. They want the EXISTING 7 million PS3 owners to buy the game.

So how do they reach them? My gut instinct would be online or through PSN somehow.

Guess what they did? Exactly that. I've seen PLENTY of online ads for inFAMOUS. There's posters for inFAMOUS EVERYWHERE in Home (lol, but still), and they push the demo on PSN Store a lot.

It's exactly where they SHOULD be advertising the game. It's not Sony's fault that idiots with PS3s aren't buying it.

I bought my copy, and everyone I know with a PS3 is aware of the games existence, most of them just aren't interested. A TV ad won't chage their mind, but a DEMO would if they bothered to download.

Do see what I'm getting at?

What GAFfers expect in terms of marketing, and what Sony SHOULD do, or DOES, is something else entirely.

Frillen said:
Nintendo fans have really lowered their expectations when it comes to how much the Hardcore games sell on the Wii, and Sony fans have really,,, well,,, lowered their expectations when it comes to pretty much everything.
So true.

Accident

Psychotext said:

You can add Guitar Hero 2 to the list.
GH2 was released on April 3rd, but for some reason that was part of the March NPD, and it charted both months.

Narcosis

I really can't help but look at these numbers across the board and think gaming is in a slump.

That being said, I do believe it is a bit of a knee jerk reaction to say the Wii needs a price drop after still outselling the PS3 and 360 by very large margins. This is one of the most traditionally shitty months in sales and the Wii number is about right in line with what the pS2 during it's peak would have done. It may seem like the sky is falling to some people, but you have to take into account that the Wii was doing unprecedented rates of sell-through for over 2 years. Now that it's just selling in line to compete with the types of sales seen by the system which sold over 100million units and is the all time best selling home console some people want to ring the funeral bells and panic and say that Nintendo needs to drop prices to stave of some catastrophe which shows no signs of actually happening.

PS3 did better than I predicted, I actually pegged it as possibly dropping below 100K. Though saying it did better than that isn't saying much.
The 360's numbers these last couple of months are pretty unimpressive, I really expected them to do better with the price Arcades go for coupled with the continued software support.

Games-wise I am disappointed with the sales of both Punch Out and inFamous. Those are my 2 GOTY candidates so far (IMO they're both better than anything else released this year, including RE5, Mad World, KZ2 and SF4) and I would have liked to see them both perform closer to what UFC on PS3 did. The Punch Out number perplexes me a bit too, given the install base of the system, the critical acclaim and the loyalty of the traditional Nintendo fanbase. Hopefully both games will thrive off of word of mouth as both are alot of fun and both would be perfect choices to help fill the void between now and the fall/winter blockbuster release season.

Raist

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
But that's what I'm saying. Where are they looking?

Who do you think Sony is going to push inFAMOUS to? Why would they waster their time on TV advertising? Who are they trying to reach?

Sony know inFAMOUS won't sell consoles, so advertising on TV is a waste. They want the EXISTING 7 million PS3 owners to buy the game.

So how do they reach them? My gut instinct would be online or through PSN somehow.

Guess what they did? Exactly that. I've seen PLENTY of online ads for inFAMOUS. There's posters for inFAMOUS EVERYWHERE in Home (lol, but still), and they push the demo on PSN Store a lot.

It's exactly where they SHOULD be advertising the game. It's not Sony's fault that idiots with PS3s aren't buying it.

I bought my copy, and everyone I know with a PS3 is aware of the games existence, most of them just aren't interested. A TV ad won't chage their mind, but a DEMO would if they bothered to download.

Do see what I'm getting at?

What GAFfers expect in terms of marketing, and what Sony SHOULD do, or DOES, is something else entirely.

Yeah of course, I didn't say you were wrong either. But a couple of TV ads doesn't hurt. The problem is that usually, their TV ads are awful. Haven't seen the inFamous one so I can't speak for this one. But the KZ2 ad for instance was completely wrong. I called it when I first saw it. It sure looked cool, but that's not how they should have advertised it.
Now AFAIK Nintendo and Microsoft advertise their product much more than Sony, so maybe that's why people think they do a bad job.

As for InFamous, they should have a couple of dudes in big cities jump from rooftops and shit. That would be AWESUM.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
UFC is my surprise of this NPD. It sold really well, which tells you how big UFC has really gotten. Hardware numbers are not so impressive excluding DS. Hope it picks up next month.

PS3 numbers were a little higher then expected, but PS2 numbers must be pretty disappointing. I mean with sales like that they might as well have kept charging 130$ they would have made more.

Also :( for infamous, considering AC's sales I expected more from a third person action game.

Top Bottom