• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

AniHawk

Pretty good sales for the PSP. Not-so-great for the DS or Wii. 360's all right, too. Holdin' steady.

inFamous did great for what, a week of sales?

Punch-Out!! did about what I expected (150k-200k).

From the IGN link

Capcom's experiment in using an XBLA title to help spur sales for a retail game proved a failure. This according to the latest NPD sales data for May. Bionic Commando Rearmed, a high-profile Xbox Live Arcade remake of the original, sold more than 130,000 units across PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in its first week of release. By contrast, the full retail version of Bionic Commando (a sequel to the XBLA title) sold more than 100,000 units less than Rearmed in two weeks of release last month.

Bionic Commando Rearmed was meant as an introduction to the franchise for gamers unfamiliar with the series. It included special codes to unlock new costumes and weapons in the retail version of Bionic Commando. But Rearmed's success clearly didn't translate to the sequel.

AniHawk

Bionic Commando's sales are all kinds of awesome.

Jtyettis said:
Lowest ever for PSP. Not so much I'm thinking.

PSP's been outclassed by pretty much everything surrounding it. The fact it sells more than 20k a month is pretty remarkable.

ps3 numbers are sad, and without the price drop many was expecting its just going to get worse until it happens. I can see under 100k numbers soon.

FrankT

Speevy said:
That's some really weird wording.

This, but it does sound like ~30k.

AniHawk said:
Bionic Commando's sales are all kinds of awesome.

PSP's been outclassed by pretty much everything surrounding it. The fact it sells more than 20k a month is pretty remarkable.

Good point.

Sony would rather recuperate crushing losses than win internet wars.

The price of the PS3 is going to remain for some time, unless there is someway to dramatically reduce the cost of manufacturing the system.

DogWelder

GRIN has had three successive flops, all games released this year; who is going to give them a major contract now? They will have to cut even more jobs.

AniHawk

btw, Klonoa as a series is now officially totally dead. yikes.

Well I guess we should wait for holiday sales before saying anything.

Speevy

Banned
May 2011 sales preview:

THE LAST GUARDIAN W/ DISCO WAND (PS3) 352.8K
LEFT 4 DEAD ACTIVE BUNDLE (360) 345.8K
FORZA 4 W/ INVISIBLE WHEEL (360) 158.3K
Wii PLAY W/ REMOTE (Wii) 109.8K

jmdajr

The infamous numbers are ok but seems to me that Sony still has yet to release a super blockbuster selling first party game. So far MS has had better luck with gears, halo, even fable.
Perhaps it's because they are new ip, I dont know.
If gow 3 and gt5 don's sell 1 million in the first month it's going to be rather fucked up imo.
What else can they do to get that kind of reaction?

edit: HOLY FUCK AT BIONIC SALES! :( :( :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Infamous did really well compared to other exclusive PS3 games' first weeks:

-InFamous - 176,000 in its first week

[edit] yeah never mind. accidentally posted chartz numbers. Infamous still probably did better than many other PS3 games' first weeks, though.

yoopoo

Banned
Retail BC sold 100+k.

The sentence needs a period, comma or an ellipses after the "100,000 units" part.

Lets fix it...

By contrast, the full retail version of Bionic Commando (a sequel to the XBLA title) sold more than 100,000 units. Less than Rearmed in two weeks of release last month.

gkryhewy

Danthrax said:
Infamous did really well compared to other exclusive PS3 games' first weeks:

-InFamous - 176,000 in its first week

-Resistance - 42K first week
-Motorstorm - 107K first week
-Warhawk - 70K first week (not including downloads)
-Lair 69K first week
-Heavenly Sword - 75K first week, 130K first month
-Uncharted - 32K first week, 117K first month sales
-Haze - 91K first week, 102K first month
-LittleBigPlanet - 110K first week

So let's keep things in perspective, here.

Where are you getting those first week numbers?

GamerSoul

MoeEazy said:
Wow, did anyone see that amazing EA sports/PS3 commercial during the finals game.
It was a VISA quality commercial.

I saw it. It was pretty clever. I had no idea it was for EA till they showed the controller.

VALIS

ahoyhoy said:
I don't understand why so many people are shocked at the low sales this month, especially in the hardware department. This is SUMMER.
- There are no holidays or excuses to buy gifts for people.
- There are few blockbuster games that will move units.
- Everyone is "playing outside", seeing blockbuster movies, etc. with no "time" to play games.

Did you look at the year-over-year numbers? Because they're all down. And in the PS3, Wii and PSP's case, they're down sharply. So your statement is irrelevant. This was a bad May compared to last May.

Now, I think most of this has to do with the economy rather than the health or appeal of these systems themselves, but just saying, your defense that "it's summer!" is well off the mark.

DogWelder

yoopoo said:
Retail BC sold 100+k.

The sentence needs a period, comma or an ellipses after the "100,000 units" part.

Lets fix it...
No no, you're reading it wrong, the syntax of the sentence is terrible, but it's still grammatically correct.

Volcynika

Speevy said:
May 2011 sales preview:

:lol I love how Wii Play is on that.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it turned out like that :p

Paznos

yoopoo said:
Retail BC sold 100+k.

Lets fix it...
That's what I thought he meant to begin with but wasn't sure.

Shurs

Scottlarock said:
ps3 numbers are sad, and without the price drop many was expecting its just going to get worse until it happens. I can see under 100k numbers soon.

PS3 saw a month over month increase. The only console to do so from April to May.

yoopoo said:
Retail BC sold 100+k.

Lets fix it...

No. That sentence was carefully worded and they italicized the "less". 100,000 units wouldn't warrant a story with "dead on arrival" in the title. I don't know why they're beating around the bush, but they're saying it sold ~30k.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
gkrykewy said:

essentially copied and pasted from another forum. I guess they could be chartz numbers, admittedly. =\

[edit] just double-checked... fuck, they are. never trust a non-GAF forum I guess.

gkrykewy said:
From a source utterly respected and loved here at GAF, and a source that's absolutely not likely to get someone banned because they used it.

Gaborn

Speevy said:
May 2011 sales preview:

Wii FIT PLUS (Wii) 370.3k
Wii FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD (Wii) 353.5K

Fixed

Speevy said:
May 2011 sales preview:

PS3 game at #1? That's a strange fantasy. But I'd be all over a "disco wand" Last Guardian, that's for sure. Love the "invisible wheel". :lol

MechaX

Leondexter said:
No. That sentence was carefully worded and they italicized the "less". 100,000 units wouldn't warrant a story with "dead on arrival" in the title. I don't know why they're beating around the bush, but they're saying it sold ~30k.

Pretty much what I was going to say verbatim. The article title "dead on arrival" connotates an extreme, dismal case, which would be pretty nonsensical if it actually sold 100k units. The italics on 'less' is pretty much the biggest giveaway here. In fact, remove the "more than" line in the article, and the sentence makes perfect sense.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is this the closest the Xbox 360 has been to the Wii in monthly sales? Or even the Ps3 for that matter?

Come on Nintendo, screw new colors, drop the WiiHD already!!! I'm not giving in to your SD console, even if I'm the last gamer left who doesn't own a Wii!!

2 Minutes Turkish said:
From the IGN link:
Capcom's experiment in using an XBLA title to help spur sales for a retail game proved a failure. This according to the latest NPD sales data for May. Bionic Commando Rearmed, a high-profile Xbox Live Arcade remake of the original, sold more than 130,000 units across PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in its first week of release. By contrast, the full retail version of Bionic Commando (a sequel to the XBLA title) sold more than 100,000 units less than Rearmed in two weeks of release last month.
Holy shit:lol

dolemite

VanMardigan said:
Is this the closest the Xbox 360 has been to the Wii in monthly sales? Or even the Ps3 for that matter?

Come on Nintendo, screw new colors, drop the WiiHD already!!! I'm not giving in to your SD console, even if I'm the last gamer left who doesn't own a Wii!!
360 beat Wii when Halo 3 released, PS3 beat Wii when MGS4 released.

DogWelder

VanMardigan said:

No, it's beaten the Wii three times and was almost even once:
http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067

Edit: Before anyone asks, these are NPD numbers.

jrricky

Banned
OH God, you people should learn to read:

By contrast, the full retail version of Bionic Commando (a sequel to the XBLA title) sold more than 100,000 units less than Rearmed in two weeks of release last month.
:lol

Translation = Bionic Commando is less than 30K

1cesc said:
No, it's beaten the Wii three times and was almost even once:
http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067
What has beaten the Wii three times?

Top Bottom