• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Narcosis said:
I really can't help but look at these numbers across the board and think gaming is in a slump.

1 million copies of UFC sold is actually pretty good for May.

Of course MMA is hot right now outside of videogaming, so I can't say i'm too surprised.

Slavik81

lawblob said:
So is Bionic Commando this month's official bomba?

I think UFC shows just how powerful a demo can be.
I think it's more directly attributable to the explosion of popularity that MMA's gone through.

Raist said:
As for InFamous, they should have a couple of dudes in big cities jump from rooftops and shit. That would be AWESUM.

Bingo.

This would have fit in line with Sony's normal advertising practice (at least here in AU anyway).

Have like a City Parkour demonstration sponsored by inFAMOUS.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Next month: the continuing saga of how smart was Actiblizzard for dropping all the VI titles during the merger.

I guess they were right about Blood in the Sand. Definitely right about Riddick :-(

Now we get to see Ghostbusters vs Prototype.

laserbeam

Banned
Tylahedras said:
PS3 numbers were a little higher then expected, but PS2 numbers must be pretty disappointing. I mean with sales like that they might as well have kept charging 130$ they would have made more.

Also :( for infamous, considering AC's sales I expected more from a third person action game.

I was talking about this in the hardware thread. The PS2 I dont think will ever really boost again outside of usual holiday boosts. The Console is dead as far as anything meaningful goes and while it had a great library of games you would be hard pressed to find them in any stores. The Wii has swallowed up retail space and there is no room for PS2 to hang around.

MechDX said:
Xmen Origins: Wolverine making the top 10 is quite impressive. Has ANY movie licensed game done that?
To bring up an obvious ancient one, I believe Goldeneye was the top-selling game of the year after it released.

Slavik81

Raist said:
Yeah of course, I didn't say you were wrong either. But a couple of TV ads doesn't hurt. The problem is that usually, their TV ads are awful. Haven't seen the inFamous one so I can't speak for this one. But the KZ2 ad for instance was completely wrong. I called it when I first saw it. It sure looked cool, but that's not how they should have advertised it.
Now AFAIK Nintendo and Microsoft advertise their product much more than Sony, so maybe that's why people think they do a bad job.

As for InFamous, they should have a couple of dudes in big cities jump from rooftops and shit. That would be AWESUM.
I saw an infamous TV commerical. It was a comic-book style thing with a guy climbing and jumping around the city, and integrating his electrical powers into the flow of the game. It almost convinced me to buy Infamous. The ad was fantastic.

Then I went on gametrailers and watched a few of the trailers hosted there. They showed me that the fantastic TV ad was not indicative of the rest of the game.

Good for inFamous. Its such a sin that Prototype is going to outsell it. inFamous is such a better game its not even funny.

inFamous is the first game this year that had people who only own a 360 coming up to me and asking about it. They have never done this before, not even for Killzone 2. It was the jumping point for some of my good 360 only friends.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why so many people are shocked at the low sales this month, especially in the hardware department. This is SUMMER.
- There are no holidays or excuses to buy gifts for people.
- There are few blockbuster games that will move units.
- Everyone is "playing outside", seeing blockbuster movies, etc. with no "time" to play games.

Raist

Banned
Slavik81 said:
I saw an infamous TV commerical. It was a comic-book style thing with a guy climbing and jumping around the city, and integrating his electrical powers into the flow of the game. It almost convinced me to buy Infamous. The ad was fantastic.

Yeah well that doesn't really help. It's besically a description of the game, but that doesn't really tell me if it has any impact. I'll try to look for it.

the fantastic TV ad was not indicative of the rest of the game.

Huh. Yeah, I'll pass on this one. Joker.

-PXG-

ahoyhoy said:
I don't understand why so many people are shocked at the low sales this month, especially in the hardware department. This is SUMMER.
- Everyone is "playing outside", seeing blockbuster movies, etc. with no "time" to play games.

This this this!!!

Sales are going to hit the roof by September/ October.

ahoyhoy said:

They're not really low, they've just been really high for a while. The numbers that the Wii and DS put up month after month have jaded us and raised expectations. The 289k that the Wii did this month is right in line with what the PS2 did in May for most of its life. And the 360 and PS3 numbers are as good or better than Xbox/Gamecube numbers.

Banned
legend166 said:
So, it's pretty clear the PS2 isn't even going to last 10 years, how do they expect the PS3 to do it?

Answer is. Sony (unless they are delusuial ) knows that is not going to happen.

gkryhewy

legend166 said:
So, it's pretty clear the PS2 isn't even going to last 10 years, how do they expect the PS3 to do it?

I don't know what you're talking about; the PS3 is tearing shit up. Number 1 on the Amazon VG charts today! Rising to heaven.

Slavik81

Raist said:
Yeah well that doesn't really help. It's besically a description of the game, but that doesn't really tell me if it has any impact. I'll try to look for it.

Huh. Yeah, I'll pass on this one. Joker.
I'd have linked you to the TV commercial, but I couldn't find it online. It was while looking for that trailer that I found all the terrible ones.

I'm not joking, either. The poor trailers showed to me how much my impressions of awesomeness were hinged upon the composition of the trailer rather than the composition of the game's play. Purchasing the game is still under consideration, but I'm no longer giving trailers (good or bad) much of weight in the decision.

gkrykewy said:
This is just a presage of things to come when the MSRP drops!

I'm doing my best here.
But what happens if PS3 manages to beat out the Wii for a month? Can you image the chaos? Especially if Nintendo decides to do a $50 pricedrop?

It would be beautiful chaos!

AwRy108

legend166 said:

So the PS2 is still selling over 100k / month, and all you can do is find something negative about that? It's pretty f*cking awesome that it's nearly 8 years old and still almost catching up to the 360 in sales numbers.

Raist

Banned
AwRy108 said:
So the PS2 is still selling over 100k / month, and all you can do is find something negative about that? It's pretty f*cking awesome that it's nearly 8 years old and still almost catching up to the 360 in sales numbers.

You mean alsmodt 9. And yeah, 100k on its 104th month is quite the achievement.

Bionic Commando is the first Capcom game released on 360 that has not charted first month at least.

I'm glad and sad. Glad because I am sick of this godawful trend of resurrecting ancient IP just to make some crappy, B-Grade HD turdfest.

Sad because I love Capcom. Hope it was within a small budget.

After Golden Axe and now this hopefully I won't see any more of my favorite game series' corpses dug up and pissed on only to be buried again. Just let them rest in peace.

gaheris

Combination of the economy and fear have hit the market and come to that the huge high sales the Wii enjoyed it isn't surprising to have it drop the most. It has the most to fall. I think it's software will pick up when Wii Sport Resort hits might now be as huge but it should be significant. It is not just gamers it is just the current climate sucks for consumer products in general. People are scaling back and this also means that between their entertainment options they may go for cheap DVD's versus a system where games are $50-$60 for one.

Arpharmd B said:
Bionic Commando is the first Capcom game released on 360 that has not charted first month at least.

I'm glad and sad. Glad because I am sick of this godawful trend of resurrecting ancient IP just to make some crappy, B-Grade HD turdfest.

Sad because I love Capcom. Hope it was within a small budget.

After Golden Axe and now this hopefully I won't see any more of my favorite game series' corpses dug up and pissed on only to be buried again. Just let them rest in peace.

I can tell you right now, had Capcom actually made Bionic Commando and not farmed it off to a B Grade dev, it would have been:

a) A better game and
b) A better seller

No system has ever gotten close to ten years.

Even the most successful consoles. Imagine new SNES games in 2001. New PS1 games in 2005. It's pretty mind boggling when you put it in perspective.

Closest was maybe the NES, if you count the Japanese release to the last US game (83-93).

sfog

Arpharmd B said:
No system has ever gotten close to ten years.

Even the most successful consoles. Imagine new SNES games in 2001. New PS1 games in 2005. It's pretty mind boggling when you put it in perspective.

Closest was maybe the NES, if you count the Japanese release to the last US game (83-93).

The Neo-Geo did (1990-2004), Famicom did in Japan (1983-1994), as did the original Game Boy, provided you take B&W compatible GBC games into account (1989-2001).

Top Bottom