• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

yoopoo said:
Retail BC sold 100+k.

The sentence needs a period, comma or an ellipses after the "100,000 units" part.

Lets fix it...

No, that's you fixing it. If you read it correctly, it is stating that BC sold more than 100k less than Rearmed. I see the way you are reading it, but that wouldn't make sense. They wouldn't say it sold "more than 100k. less than rearmed.

I don't think they screwed up, I think it really did do sub 30k across both platforms.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
jrricky said:
OH God, you people should learn to read:

:lol

Translation = Bionic Commando is less than 30K

well they're arguing that it's annoying IGN didn't just come out and say 30k.

So now that Grin has made 3 shit games (Wanted, Terminator, Bionic Commando) that have all bombed. Will publishers stop giving them money to make games?

AniHawk

PS2 23,432,000 (43-month mark) (April 2004)
PS2 17,360,000 (31-month mark) (April 2003)

Xbox - 8,901,402 (31-month mark) (May 2004)
Xbox - 12,200,000 (43-month mark) (May 2005)

GCN - 7,473,241 (31-month mark) (May 2004)
GCN - 11,002,000 (43-month mark) (May 2005)

360 15,240,286 (43 months) (May 2009)
360 10,267,000 (31 months) (May 2008)

PS3 7,749,396 (31 months) (May 2009)

Wii 20,203,581 (31 months) (May 2009)

I knew BC would bomb, but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine this badly.

This NPD shows how a good demo can do wonders (UFC) and what a bad one can do.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
AniHawk said:
PS2 23,432,000 (43-month mark) (April 2004)
PS2 17,360,000 (31-month mark) (April 2003)

Xbox - 8,901,402 (31-month mark) (May 2004)
Xbox - 12,200,000 (43-month mark) (May 2005)

GCN - 7,473,241 (31-month mark) (May 2004)
GCN - 11,002,000 (43-month mark) (May 2005)

360 15,240,286 (43 months) (May 2009)
360 10,267,000 (31 months) (May 2008)

PS3 7,749,396 (31 months) (May 2009)

Wii 20,203,581 (31 months) (May 2009)

It's on track with the GameCube. wow

and the Wii is on track with... nothing like it before

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Yeah it says it sold over 100k less than the 130k re-armed did. 27k, or so maybe? Flop 'o-rama.

Technically, it says that it sold over 100 thousand less than the over 130,000 sales of BC:R. So it could have sold 30,000 (or EVEN MORE!) Still bad, though.

AniHawk

Danthrax said:
It's on track with the GameCube. wow

and the Wii is on track with... nothing like it before

PS3 made a 50k gain on the Gamecube this month. It's gonna have to really start failing to fall behind the GC. Gonna be hard to overcome the Xbox at its current pace though. The Xbox was really taking off around this time.

AniHawk said:
PS3 made a 50k gain on the Gamecube this month. It's gonna have to really start failing to fall behind the GC. Gonna be hard to overcome the Xbox at its current pace though. The Xbox was really taking off around this time.

Just wait for... Halo 2.

Touchdown

Banned
I'm surprised at all the people talking about a price drop for the wii, Are you guys being sarcastic? They are still on top every month and still almost doubling the sales of the 360 or ps3. I could see them cutting the price if they were doing sony numbers every month. I think they are going to wait and see how they are doing going into next year after the holidays before they even begin to think of a price drop.

I'm also surprised at the DSI numbers. I can't believe so many people are buying it when there are no "exclusive" games for it yet that utilize the camera and what not.

JoJo13

Banned
jmdajr said:
The infamous numbers are ok but seems to me that Sony still has yet to release a super blockbuster selling first party game. So far MS has had better luck with gears, halo, even fable.
Perhaps it's because they are new ip, I dont know.
If gow 3 and gt5 don's sell 1 million in the first month it's going to be rather fucked up imo.
What else can they do to get that kind of reaction?

edit: HOLY FUCK AT BIONIC SALES! :( :( :(

No God of War title has ever sold more than 1 million in its first month, why would you expect it to on the PS3?

God of War 3 can reasonable expect to sell 700-800k in its first month (assuming it gets enough days of tracking).

Racing also isn't what it used to be...I don't expect GT5 to sell a million in a month either.

I'm really curious why people are saying that InFamous' sales are disappointing. Was anyone expecting it to be a million seller in the US? The sales are pretty damn good, especially considering what could have been (Bionic Commando anyone?). For the team size, I'm sure they're easily going to be profitable on the project.

Barrett2

I'm really blown away that BC could do so poorly. You would think the buzz from BCR would have helped... Was the demo that bad?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
AniHawk said:

eh there's only a difference of about 300,000 between the gains the GC made from 31 to 43 months and the gains the Xbox made from 31 to 43 months. I wouldn't say it's that much of a difference. but I agree the PS3 will likely stay ahead of the Cube but behind the Xbox.

Durante

Arpharmd B said:
No system has ever gotten close to ten years.

Even the most successful consoles. Imagine new SNES games in 2001. New PS1 games in 2005. It's pretty mind boggling when you put it in perspective.
I'll be buying a new PS2 game later this year. That's getting close isn't it?

Shurs

lawblob said:
I'm really blown away that BC could do so poorly. You would think the buzz from BCR would have helped... Was the demo that bad?

No demo for PS3 owners, mediocre reviews, dreadlocks.

Touchdown said:
I'm surprised at all the people talking about a price drop for the wii

Their sales are down 57% from last year with no price cut. Microsoft did cut their price in the last year and are only down 6%.

Like the Atari Jaguar ads said, do the math.

Snipes424

AniHawk said:

I get a little sick of these comparisons. When was the gamecube ever $399? Or $599 for that matter? I think the only way you can have a fair comparison is if the price is very similar between the two products, so when the PS3 is at $199 (or whatever the price of the GC was) then feel free to compare the two, but until then, come off of it.

AniHawk

Durante said:
I'll be buying a new PS2 game later this year. That's getting close isn't it?

Well and the Game Boy had games being released for it in 2000. Gold/Silver were playable on the ol' brick. And that machine was made in 1989.

Shurs

GaussTek said:
Does anyone stored the Mama Robotnik GIF?

Can't see it now :(

Thank God. It would be awesome had it not been quoted so many times. It sucks when you feel you need a gaming rig just to view a GAF thread.

JoJo13

Banned
Snipes424 said:
I get a little sick of these comparisons. When was the gamecube ever $399? Or $599 for that matter? I think the only way you can have a fair comparison is if the price is very similar between the two products, so when the PS3 is at $199 (or whatever the price of the GC was) then feel free to compare the two, but until then, come off of it.

GC was pretty much $150 right off the bat, given that it received a price drop pretty soon.

It's an absolutely retarded comparison.

sfog said:
The Neo-Geo did (1990-2004), Famicom did in Japan (1983-1994), as did the original Game Boy, provided you take B&W compatible GBC games into account (1989-2001).

To be fair, of those you listed only the Gameboy was still a premier system 10 years after it was released.

Busaiku said:

Wow...WOW.

yoopoo said:
You guys should click on the link, BC didn't sell 30K :lol

It said it sold 100,000 less then rearmed did which they stated sold 130,000 in its first month.

laserbeam

Banned
Snipes424 said:

Comparing the failure of last Gen sales to the failure of this gens sales is totally fair. Its not our fault sony fucked themselves in the ass with 599.

The point is PS3 is on pace to Do Xbox level sales for the Gen

I was looking forward to Bionic Commando, but it's terrible. I feel conflicted. I'm not sure if I should feel good that a bad game bombed, or wish it was good, which would make me feel bad that it bombed...because it still would have. I'd like to think Bionic Commando's (lack of) quality has something to do with its awful sales, but I'm not that naive. It just got overlooked.

AniHawk

Snipes424 said:

Whoa, calm down turbo.

jrricky

Banned
AniHawk said:
When is Monster Hunter 3 due out again?
I'm not sure, but a lot more bombs are left to come out this year before that bomb arrives.:lol

If that's what you are implying. Plus im buying mine:D

I just caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and noticed the t-shirt i was wearing.

0611092252a.jpg

I usually wear it to sleep in but tomorrow I will wear it to mourn the tragedy of my beloved Capgod :(

mujun

Touchdown said:
I'm surprised at all the people talking about a price drop for the wii, Are you guys being sarcastic? They are still on top every month and still almost doubling the sales of the 360 or ps3. I could see them cutting the price if they were doing sony numbers every month. I think they are going to wait and see how they are doing going into next year after the holidays before they even begin to think of a price drop.

Better to think about measures at the top of the downward curve rather than the bottom of it though, right.

JoJo13 said:
GC was pretty much $150 right off the bat, given that it received a price drop pretty soon.

It's an absolutely retarded comparison.

Sure, prices don't match. The amount of games a company needs to sell to make a profit hasn't really changed though, if anything it's gone up.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
While comparing gamecube to ps3 prices is a bit silly, when was the last time even a significant price drop on a console made a strong impact on the market for more than a few months?

Snipes424 said:

That's pretty dumb. There's nothing more legitimate than comparing two game consoles' performance at retail, no matter what their respective prices are. Besides, price is not the big issue with the PS3's sales. The Gamecube did poorly because people wanted a PS2 instead. The PS3 does poorly because people want a Wii instead.

Barrett2

Plus, isn't BC an open world game where you die any time you wander off their pre-defined path? Game sounds like it has five or so terrible attributes that kill it.

I'll buy it when it drops to around $25.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Since BC bombed I guess Capcom won't be making that Strider game anytime soon.

I was thinking the same thing. If rumors are anything to go buy, they were looking to copy the same formula. HD Remix of Strider followed by a big retail release.

I have to say, as a devote Strider fan, it's for the best. Just leave us with the amazing 2d titles. I think the whole trend of old games being made anew, especially when getting into really obscure franchises, is just lame. It's as annoying as what Hollywood does (the latest example being Land of the Lost).

In my eyes, if this means I won't have to watch a Western studio ruin Strider, then this is a blessing in disguise.

Shurs

vanguardian1 said:
While comparing gamecube to ps3 prices is a bit silly, when was the last time even a significant price drop on a console made a strong impact on the market for more than a few months?

The 360 price drop of 2008. Pre-price drop it was selling a little bit less than the PS3 for the year, since the price drop it's had to have sold close to or over a million more consoles than PS3.

Top Bottom