• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

DMeisterJ

Banned
UFC is a beast! THQ now has their cash cow, expect UFC 2010 and every year after that declining in quality, just like Smackdown.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BTW, this month's TruWinner™ is GRIN, who managed to miss the charts with all three of their bomba, shit-ass bad games. Yay grin!!

Yes Boss!

Firestorm said:
I forgot this was today.

I could've sworn there was some sort of bet involving these games + Fight Night.

It was between Fight Night and UFC. No way anybody expected Punch Out to be huge. Off to a good start, though. I expected about 100K.

PusherT

500 -server error ah NPD day. Good numbers for PunchOut and EA Sports Active. I think EA Sports Active will be an evergreen title for EA good for them.

DuckRacer

Forgot today was NPD day.

Infamous' sales are decent considering it was out for a week and everyone thought it'd bomb.

Holy crap UFC.

And yay for another exercise game cluttering the top 10. Snore.

Mama Robotnik said:
casofgaf11.gif

:lol :lol :lol

Perfect :lol

Wollan

NPD stealthed in today.

I feel like I've totally missed the UFC hype boat. I know the 2m sales PR and all and I remember people talking about it being a big title before release. I never got why though. It's doing close enough to SF4 numbers if I'm not mistaken.

Wow @ UFC #1 with a bullet, and over a Mil for the month. Infamous @ 5 is nice but the overall sales are low, but it was such a flat month, so I guess you can't expect much.

Yes Boss!

Y2Kev said:
BTW, this month's TruWinner™ is GRIN, who managed to miss the charts with all three of their bomba, shit-ass bad games. Yay grin!!

Yeah, totally expected BC to bomb. Capcom needs to be doing better stuff than that shit.

Talamius

That 600k Active number apparently was shipped, not sold. Still, it's a definite moneymaker for EA. Gonna be interesting to see if it can latch on to Wii Fit and become an evergreen title.

Punch-Out charting brings a smile to my face.

Other than that, pretty standard....UFC is this month's HD Flavor of the Month, destined for a short stay in the T10. Not really a slight as this is how third parties seem to like to operate. Blow their sales load in month 1, cling to the chart (perhaps) in month 2, and then never be heard from again.

farnham

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
UFC is a beast! THQ now has their cash cow, expect UFC 2010 and every year after that declining in quality, just like Smackdown.
totally underestimated UFC

wow its really big

Talamius said:
That 600k Active number apparently was shipped, not sold. Still, it's a definite moneymaker for EA. Gonna be interesting to see if it can latch on to Wii Fit and become an evergreen title.

Other than that, pretty standard....UFC is this month's HD Flavor of the Month, destined for a short stay in the T10.
i think it was world wide

its doing well in europe as well

szaromir

Banned
jstevenson said:
Infamous was only out for like 6 days. I'm sure the buzz has been keeping sales up... I keep hearing more people on boards outside the industry talking about it and picking it up
I remember this argument for Ratchet & Clank Future...
sorry for being a dick

Zzoram

jstevenson said:
Infamous was only out for like 6 days. I'm sure the buzz has been keeping sales up... I keep hearing more people on boards outside the industry talking about it and picking it up

That may be true, but every time this is said about a game, it's next full month is always lower in sales. Core games are always front loaded.

Remember when big releases in a month regularly did 300K? What happened to those days? Was it just because it was only really Xbox 360 vs PS2 back then, and people were starved for games so they bought up whatever came out?

Haunted

Does this make new bundles and colours for Wii more likely? Or is a 115k lead over the nearest competitor still enough to warrant no such action?

I'd hope it's the former.

laserbeam said:
NES Color Scheme Wii with NSMBWii bundle is the way to go :eek:
:eek:

Y2Kev said:
*salutes* high-profile (licenses!) bombas abound.

Busaiku

Talamius said:
Since EA reported it, of course it was what they shipped.
And it was a worldwide number.

JoJo13

Banned
Decent InFamous sales for only tracking for a short while. I hope this game can eventually reach 500k sold in the US LTD. It definitely deserves it.

Thoughts -

So much for the PS2 price drop. PS2 is on the way out, clearly. It'll hang on until 2010 and then after that sales will be so low you can put a fork in it. RIP PS2.

PSP sales are low, but will pick up this fall. I' m sure a lot of people were waiting on the Go announcement to make a decision. Plus there isn't shit-all for software on the PSP this half of the year.

360 sales about as expected, just like the PS3.

Oh, and PS3 + 360 sales > Wii for the first time in a while, I think. Wii sales are pretty down. I wonder how long this trend will continue. They're still great sales, but they're just not insane Wii sales we're used to. Nintendo is finally hitting their saturation point, it seems.

Jtyettis:

Triple will be well under 100k for the month. Start adjusting. How in the world would it remain constant at the rate of drop off from the last two months.

Looks like I got it right.

Triple well over 100k for the month, with basically no real drop off from April --> May, just as I expected.

+1 me

ascii42

soul creator said:
oddly enough, I think this is the one genre where Project Natal could dominate
Possibly, it has the potential. How did EyeToy: Kinetic sell?
If marketed well, Natal should do better.

Frillen

Talamius said:

Other than that, pretty standard....UFC is this month's HD Flavor of the Month, destined for a short stay in the T10. Not really a slight as this is how third parties seem to like to operate. Blow their sales load in month 1, cling to the chart (perhaps) in month 2, and then never be heard from again.

There's something called Europe as well. Maybe you've heard of it.

knitoe

Wii dropping off quickly. If I was Microsoft, would bring out Arcade + Natal @ $250 this holiday. It would handily beat the Wii. Still have 5 months to bring out plenty X-ware, ie X-play, X-sport, X-Fit and/or etc, so causal could eat it up. Just add simple enhancements, like head tracking, to HC games, Forza 3, MW2 and etc.

Wow @ UFC and infamous has some decent numbers. I think Nintendo should bundle the wii with NSMB and it will probably sell.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
How are the latest "Wait until _____" games doing?

I think people have wisened up to the 'wait for x' game thingy. Thank god. We can actually have a discussion of sales here not based off of future promises.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Um, are we sure these ~150k debuts for well reviewed platform exclusives is a thing to be celebrating with :D :D :D ? Particularly Punch Out?

farnham

Banned
knitoe said:
Wii dropping off quickly. If I was Microsoft, would bring out Arcade + Natal @ $250 this holiday. It would handily beat the Wii. Still have 5 months to bring out plenty X-ware, ie X-play, X-sport, X-Fit and/or etc, so causal could eat it up. Just add simple enhancements, like head tracking, to HC games, Forza 3, MW2 and etc.
if wii was selling so bad

whats with the 360.. it got outsold.. once again..

donny2112

Anita Frazier said:
The dollar sales decline was exacerbated by a decline in average retail prices for almost all of the categories.

People are actively passing up full price titles in favor of reduced price/budget games. It's been this way for a few months, now, so I'm glad to see it being pointed out. As Iwata previously said, the games that hurt during an economic downtime aren't the "Top of the list" games, but moreso the 5 and below games. "I guess I'll just wait for a pricedrop." Now would be a good time for Nintendo to introduce a Player's Choice line of games. :)

Y2Kev said:
What a bomba month. The way to fix the PSP problem is to release a more expensive model!!! Yeah!!!
Wanted's 5 million didn't chart?

knitoe said:
Wii dropping off quickly. If I was Microsoft, would bring out Arcade + Natal @ $250 this holiday. It would handily beat the Wii.
:lol Joke post of the day goes to...

Top Bottom