• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

womfalcs3

Banned
I expected MLB 09 numbers for Infamous (About double what it sold.). That's not good, to be honest. Then again, there was no TV marketing campaign. At least I didn't see one.

Loudninja

jetjevons said:
Um, are we sure these ~150k debuts for well reviewed platform exclusives is a thing to be celebrating with :D :D :D ? Particularly Punch Out?

I guess they did better than people excepted,InFamous shoudl be over 200k now.

xbhaskarx

Uh oh, Wii losing a bit of steam?
The PS3 didn't do as badly as people thought it would, maybe it can stay competitive through the summer, but they better have a price drop or a Slim model after that.

FrankT

JoJo13 said:
Jtyettis:
Looks like I got it right.

Triple well over 100k for the month, with basically no real drop off from April --> May, just as I expected.

+1 me

Yes, I admitted I was off on the PS3 for the month and I haven't been too off in awhile. Although not so much with the PS2. There were drops just not on the HD hardware for the month which is somewhat surprsing for me.

sillymonkey321 said:
People are acting like Infamous and Punchout sold 500k+ this month.

I don't really see the former charting this month to be sure.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DevelopmentArrested said:
Wanted's 5 million didn't chart?

:lol Joke post of the day goes to...
There is a separate listing for megablockbuster entertainment experiences.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Sucks to see that a multiplatform release on PS3 is still only worth 1/2 of 360's sales. I see this changing with AC2 though since judging by the Sony conference live demo, they seem to be pushing it on PS3 more, plus the connectivity with the PSP version.

Wii passes 20 million.

Wii is also finally down from last year as a whole. Five months of 2009 is 2.66 million versus 2.82 million for the first five months of 2008.

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)
Wii: 57.7 (April 22, 2008)
PS3: 63.3 (March 13, 2008)
X360: 84.9 (October 14, 2007)

womfalcs3 said:
I expected MLB 09 numbers for Infamous (About double what it sold.). That's not good, to be honest. Then again, there was no TV marketing campaign. At least I didn't see one.

Wasn't there a trailer before Terminator? Not that that did that awesome, but it had a pretty solid opening weekend which, I think coincided with inFamous' debut.

I might be wrong on the dates though.

laserbeam

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
People are acting like Infamous and Punchout sold 500k+ this month.

No one hyped Punch Out to be some huge seller. Infamous on the other hand was being hyped as the next great seller for PS3. Every single PS3 exclusive outside of MGS4 has been meh on sales

Zzoram

jetjevons said:
Um, are we sure these ~150k debuts for well reviewed platform exclusives is a thing to be celebrating with :D :D :D ? Particularly Punch Out?

I never thought Punch Out would sell well. It's just not what the mainstream is drawn to from an artistic stand point. That, plus people would assume it's like Wii Sports Boxing, and not want to buy a whole game of just that.

As for infamous, no well reviewed PS3 exclusive has ever opened big except MGS4. They all have ok legs, moreso in Europe, where they tend to get bundled with consoles, and they all end up doing ok by the end, just not spectacular.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Mama Robotnik said:
casofgaf11.gif

I love NPD day!

Paznos

womfalcs3 said:
I've seen infamous commercials several times on various channels.

sykoex said:
Sucks to see that a multiplatform release on PS3 is still only worth 1/2 of 360's sales. I see this changing with AC2 though since judging by the Sony conference live demo, they seem to be pushing it on PS3 more, plus the connectivity with the PSP version.
You really believe AC2 PS3 will outsell 360 because of a press conference exclusive demo?
1z66vjt.jpg

laserbeam said:
No one hyped Punch Out to be some huge seller.
Only Iphone Davidson.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow, I might manage to get a post in the first couple of pages this month. What a slow sales period.

Punch-Out!! should've sold more, but the fact that it charted makes me happy.

Sadist

knitoe said:
Wii dropping off quickly. If I was Microsoft, would bring out Arcade + Natal @ $250 this holiday. It would handily beat the Wii. Still have 5 months to bring out plenty X-ware, ie X-play, X-sport, X-Fit and/or etc, so causal could eat it up. Just add simple enhancements, like head tracking, to HC games, Forza 3, MW2 and etc.
whatdog.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm not saying inFAMOUS will sell better next month, but it was only out for what, six days?

It probably will not sell better next month, but about the same, if not a little lower. Sony just doesn't care about the fanboy arguments. It could have pulled off 300k if it had 3-4 weeks, but that's just pissing in the wind cause we'll never know. It was a good start though, and I imagine it will chart again for June.

laserbeam said:
No one hyped Punch Out to be some huge seller. Infamous on the other hand was being hyped as the next great seller for PS3. Every single PS3 exclusive outside of MGS4 has been meh on sales

Bull shit.

SimpleDesign said:
Expectation's were really that low for Infamous?

Realistic is more like it.

No PS3 well reviewed game has done extremely good, so I think people finally will quit with the 'Wait for x' and be realistic with expectations.

Flavius

WickedLaharl said:
infamous :(

why do ps3 owners hate good games?

A lot of them wouldn't know an Infamous if it sat in their lap and called them mamma.

Rabble, rabble...Sony can't promote for shit...rabble, rabble.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Good sales for UFC.

I did my part for infamous (great game).

I hope it continues to sell.

womfalcs3

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Wasn't there a trailer before Terminator? Not that that did that awesome, but it had a pretty solid opening weekend which, I think coincided with inFamous' debut.

I might be wrong on the dates though.

Yeah, but was that shown before every showing at every theater? I think it was select showings in select markets.

donny2112

knitoe said:
If I was Microsoft, would bring out Arcade + Natal @ $250 this holiday. It would handily beat the Wii.

:lol

*reads again*

*reads again*

*wipes tears of laughter from eyes*

No.

Loudninja

womfalcs3 said:

Eh please don't start this.

I think that the Wii is finally hitting that glass ceiling that inevitably comes with selling your console at the same price for too long. Xmas + $199/£129 = Fighting in the aisles?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
laserbeam said:
Prove this. Where are the people hyping it as a great mover? This argument comes up EVERY NPD THREAD about EVERY PS3 GAME. You're both original AND accurate!

farnham

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii passes 20 million.

Wii is also finally down from last year as a whole. Five months of 2009 is 2.66 million versus 2.82 million for the first five months of 2008.

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)
Wii: 57.7 (April 22, 2008)
PS3: 63.3 (March 13, 2008)
X360: 84.9 (October 14, 2007)
Wii had smash, wiifit and mario kart wii in the first five month of 2008..

laserbeam

Banned
sionyboy said:
I think that the Wii is finally hitting that glass ceiling that inevitably comes with selling your console at the same price for too long. Xmas + $199/£129 = Fighting in the aisles?

I think a Holiday price drop could show its head and maybe a new color as well and we will see riots in the streets

Zzoram

sykoex said:

Actually, AC2 will probably split exactly the same way AC1 did.

Loudninja said:
I guess they did better than people excepted,InFamous shoudl be over 200k now.

It deserves to be selling in the 300k range now. Watch Prototype PS3 sales be larger than Infamous total next month.

Loudninja

Y2Kev said:
Prove this. Where are the people hyping it as a great mover? This argument comes up EVERY NPD THREAD about EVERY PS3 GAME. You're both original AND accurate!

Really no one hype this as a huge seller.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
DevelopmentArrested said:
You really believe AC2 PS3 will outsell 360 because of a press conference exclusive demo?
How else will you get the PSP/PS3 exclusive content?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Microsoft needs to preempt the PS3 and Wii price drops with a drop of the Arcade/Pro from $199/$299 to $179/$249 in July.

knitoe said:
Wii dropping off quickly. If I was Microsoft, would bring out Arcade + Natal @ $250 this holiday. It would handily beat the Wii. Still have 5 months to bring out plenty X-ware, ie X-play, X-sport, X-Fit and/or etc, so causal could eat it up. Just add simple enhancements, like head tracking, to HC games, Forza 3, MW2 and etc.
And I'm sure Nintendo would've liked to have had Wii ready to launch in 2005, too.
jetjevons said:
After Excite Truck and Excitebots, I wasn't sure an even more retro take on an old franchise would do this well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
cjelly said:
Congratulations, THQ.

UFC this month, Red Faction next?

Red Faction is doing pretty good, but based on what I'm seeing Prototype is going to take the top spot.

MiamiWesker said:
It deserves to be selling in the 300k range now. Watch Prototype PS3 sales be larger than Infamous total next month.

Well duh. Prototype PS3 has sort of the advantage right now since the day one sales for inFamous are out of the way. However, I do expect inFamous's sales will be somewhere between the 360 and PS3 version of Prototype.

Top Bottom