• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

laserbeam

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
Microsoft needs to preempt the PS3 and Wii price drops with a drop of the Arcade/Pro from $199/$299 to $179/$249 in July.

Microsoft only has to worry about the PS3 the Wii is in untouchable sales range and there is no way the PS3 will get a price cut that undercuts the 360 price

Frillen

sillymonkey321 said:
People are acting like Infamous and Punchout sold 500k+ this month.

Nintendo fans have really lowered their expectations when it comes to how much the Hardcore games sell on the Wii, and Sony fans have really,,, well,,, lowered their expectations when it comes to pretty much everything.

Zzoram

MiamiWesker said:
It deserves to be selling in the 300k range now. Watch Prototype PS3 sales be larger than Infamous total next month.

That would be unfortunate, considering that infamous is generally considered to be better.

Owzers

Speevy said:
When the #2 game doesn't make 500K, you're allowed to change your measuring stick.

Tepid sales are tepid sales though, especially since we know what the potential for software sales are.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Frillen said:
Nintendo fans have really lowered their expectations when it comes to how much the Hardcore games sell on the Wii, and Sony fans have really,,, well,,, lowered their expectations when it comes to pretty much everything.
:lol

sykoex said:
How else will you get the PSP/PS3 exclusive content?
Last time I checked you have to buy the PSP game just to get a few extra weapons. Somehow I don't think that will have a big impact on the usual 360/PS3 game breakdown.

laserbeam

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
GO GO GO inFAMOUS and PUNCH OUT!!!!

Wow at Wii and 360. Pretty low.

So the DS is just the biggest thing ever I take it?
would be nice to get a breakdown on DSLite versus DSi sales :/ I could see the DS brand closing in on 200 million if nintendo lets it live long enough cause people upgrading their phats,lites etc

Zzoram

The fact that UFC managed to push over 600k units on 360 shows that there is at least still an appetite for games, as long as it has the right branding, marketing, and quality.

epmode

Mama Robotnik said:
casofgaf11.gif
I love you so, so much.

Busaiku

Next month should probably see a big comeback for Wii.
With MotionPlus and Sports Resort, it might move big numbers again.

If that can't do it, that's when Nintendo will probably even consider a price drop.

JoJo13

Banned
laserbeam said:
No one hyped Punch Out to be some huge seller. Infamous on the other hand was being hyped as the next great seller for PS3. Every single PS3 exclusive outside of MGS4 has been meh on sales

Who has hyped InFamous as the next great 'seller'? People hyped it as the next great game, which it is. That's a totally different discussion from the topic of sales.

I don't think many people expected it to do really huge numbers. I was pretty worried it would do less than 100k, since it's a completely new IP, in the sandbox genre with no multiplayer, and hasn't really gotten the same attention that a title like KZ2 or MGS4 has.

For a team of ~50 people or so, I'm sure they're really pleased with less than a week of sales for the game.

Zzoram

laserbeam said:
would be nice to get a breakdown on DSLite versus DSi sales :/ I could see the DS brand closing in 200 million if nintendo lets it live long enough cause people upgrading their phats,lites etc

Why would Nintendo kill their own megahit? The only thing that will decide if the DS lives long enough to hit 200 million is consumers.

FrankT

The best measuring stick sales wise for Infamous will simply be does it have any legs? Will it chart next month or will it fall off a cliff?

knitoe

donny2112 said:

*reads again*

*reads again*

*wipes tears of laughter from eyes*

No.

Laugh all you want, but Natal is hot item right now. By holiday, I have no doubt it would have been the "IT" toy for holiday. For Microsoft to wait until next year, the hype could be gone or severely diminish.

Zzoram

Yes Boss! said:
And install base. I fully expect Prototype to do better.

Prototype PS3 outselling infamous PS3 would have nothing to do with install base. Also, the install base for all consoles keeps going up, but the top 10 monthly seller total doesn't seem to be going up at the same rate, and may even be going down.

Cipherr

DMeisterJ said:
Bull shit.

Bullshit right back at you, show me some proof. Ive been reading pretty steadily the last 3 months, and there has been NO huge buzz about any large sales numbers from Infamous nor Punchout.

Neither were being hyped as some large sellers, UFC on the other hand was actively being hyped. Both sides have their crazies, the usual suspects that play the "X on my console is going to be soooooo HUUUUGE" cards, but they dont count. Show me sane people calling these games to be 500k debuts.

Your not going to be able to.

Zzoram said:
The fact that UFC managed to push over 600k units on 360 shows that there is at least still an appetite for games

Im curious as to why the bolded would have ever been in doubt? On the 360 of all consoles?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Nolan. said:
It's funny reading the opinions on Infamous's sales ''yeah go infamous!''...''Oh no Infamous!''...
Yeah obviously some people missed the Sony damage control seminars.

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
I expected MLB 09 numbers for Infamous (About double what it sold.). That's not good, to be honest. Then again, there was no TV marketing campaign. At least I didn't see one.

Flavius said:
A lot of them wouldn't know an Infamous if it sat in their lap and called them mamma.

Rabble, rabble...Sony can't promote for shit...rabble, rabble.

You cant blame marketing for this one. I saw infamous ads everywhere. Even saw one before Star Trek movie.

Hardware sales comparison

Vs 05/2008
Code:
Wii	-57.12%
PS3	-37.23%
360	 -6.22%
PSP	-44.93%
NDS	+39.97%
PS2	-11.83%

Vs 04/2009
Code:
Wii	-14.85%
PS3	 +3.15%
360	 +0.00%
PSP	-13.45%
NDS	-39.09%
PS2	-31.98%

(Based on per week figures for each period)

donny2112

DevelopmentArrested said:
Last time I checked you have to buy the PSP game just to get a few extra weapons. Somehow I don't think that will have a big impact on the usual 360/PS3 game breakdown.

But what about all the people who bought Madden on GameCube to use the GBA as an electronic scoreboard? And that didn't even need Madden GBA to work!

SupahBlah

Banned
Zzoram said:
The fact that UFC managed to push over 600k units on 360 shows that there is at least still an appetite for games, as long as it has the right branding, marketing, and quality.

If a game has a good demo it will sell, especially on the 360.

Surprised I haven't seen a IT IS ALL OVER! posted. :lol

Now patch please THQ. :D

JKBii

I am very happy with these numbers. I'm glad the UFC game did well, I'm glad EA Sports Active did well, and I'm glad Punch Out did well.

I know the hardware numbers are low but that is a seasonal problem.

Frillen

knitoe said:
Laugh all you want, but Natal is hot item right now. By holiday, I have no doubt it would have been the "IT" toy for holiday. For Microsoft to wait until next year, the hype could be gone or severely diminish.

It was hot at E3, which is mainly watched and followed by hardcore gamers who have already made up their minds about what system they want to own. + Natal is for the casuals. Casuals don't even know what E3 is.

Nolan.

Jtyettis said:
The best measuring stick sales wise for Infamous will simply be does it have any legs? Will it chart next month or will it fall off a cliff?

My bet would be fall off a cliff, even Uncharted struggled to stay after one month and that had more weight behind it to be honest.

E: plus ps3 games in general don't seem to have much legs if any at all.

Everything's down again this year but the DS. The Wii number seems low, given the high bar the Wii has set in the past. Normally, ~300K would be an OK number.

Punch Out did OK as well. We'll see if Lil' Mac has those Nintendo legs.

I'm surprised at EA Sport Active doing worse than Wii Fit. Can anyone think of a reason for this? Does EA Sport Active require the balance board or something? Are people just getting confused when they go into the store and ask for it, getting Wii Fit instead?

Also, what's this UFC thing? Some kind of sports franchise?

Nutter

Wii Needs a Price Cut by this holiday, at least $50 cut. ($199)

360 could use another $25 off. ($175 Arcade, $275 Pro)

PS3 needs a $100 Cut ASAP. ($299)

knitoe said:

not sure why i'm taking your uneducated posts seriously but here goes..
A) the technology isn't ready for this year so it's a moot point.
B) Natal may be a hot item to an internet nerd. Anyone else has no clue.
C) if you think the Wii sales are truely diminishing, you are an idiot.
D) if you think an Arcade+Natal would sell for $250, you are an idiot.
E) if you think the Wii will suddenly lose popularity with the new kid in town.. well see above.

knitoe said:
It's been on "Good Morning America" and "Jimmy Fallon Late Night Show" already. That's casual users getting exposure right there.

Oh shit. Call Oprah and warn her. The Natal was on Jimmy fucking Fallon! Put it in stores tomorrow, it'll move megatons!

knitoe

Frillen said:
It was hot at E3, which is mainly watched and followed by hardcore gamers who have already made up their minds about what system they want to own. + Natal is for the causals. Casuals don't even know what E3 is.
It's been on "Good Morning America" and "Jimmy Fallon Late Night Show" already. That's casual users exposure right there.

Iksenpets

Banned
I thought this was a boring month until I noticed it's the closest Wii Play has ever been to falling out of the charts. Now I'm filled with hope.

Flavius

DevelopmentArrested said:
I love how the measuring stick for a game's advertising campaign is "Well I watch Spike 4 days a week and I never saw one!'

And I love the shuttlecock-like lob of "you watch shitty television" as the ill-advised retort to the apparent lack of effective marketing on Sony's part.

Sorry guy, but some of us have better things to do than watch Joe from Facts of Life get her head kicked in out in the street in front of all of her neighbors by Dale Midkiff on the afternoon Lifetime movie.

drkOne

knitoe said:

No way they'll have Natal ready this holiday, I still have my doubts that they'll be able to do what they've showed (not even talking about Milo) by holiday 2010.

donny2112

knitoe said:
Laugh all you want, but Natal is hot item right now.

It sure is! Look at it flying off the shelves. March E3 excitement!

knitoe said:
For Microsoft to wait until next year, the hype could be gone or severely diminish.

It's good to know you have a fallback position in place and rrrready to go!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Puncture said:
Bullshit right back at you, show me some proof. Ive been reading pretty steadily the last 3 months, and there has been NO huge buzz about any large sales numbers from Infamous nor Punchout.

Neither were being hyped as some large sellers, UFC on the other hand was actively being hyped. Both sides have their crazies, the usual suspects that play the "X on my console is going to be soooooo HUUUUGE" cards, but they dont count. Show me sane people calling these games to be 500k debuts.

Your not going to be able to.

Im curious as to why the bolded would have ever been in doubt? On the 360 of all consoles?

Ehm, I'm not sure what you were getting at.

I was saying that there hasn't been big numbers expected for inFAMOUS/PunchOut!! too... The guy I quoted said 'Infamous on the other hand was being hyped as the next great seller for PS3' and that's what I said BS to...

Zzoram

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Everything's down again this year but the DS. The Wii number seems low, given the high bar the Wii has set in the past. Normally, ~300K would be an OK number.

Punch Out did OK as well. We'll see if Lil' Mac has those Nintendo legs.

I'm surprised at EA Sport Active doing worse than Wii Fit. Can anyone think of a reason for this? Does EA Sport Active require the balance board or something? Are people just getting confused when they go into the store and ask for it, getting Wii Fit instead?

Also, what's this UFC thing? Some kind of sports franchise?

Wii Fit has Mii integration and Nintendo as a publisher. It also comes with the fancier white peripheral.

Top Bottom