• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Frillen

schuelma said:
A bit surprised that PS3 and 360 remained relatively steady.

Wii really starting to take a drop. I know a price drop is against the new Nintendo plan, but if things keep falling in June July I think it might be time for something.

Well there's a small title called Wii Sports Resort w/Wii Motion Plus coming out in July. Might boost sales a bit :p

Jtyettis said:
Number comparisons YoY are going to be so skewed for June for the PS3 come NPD time next month. That is a pretty serious drop YoY on the Wii although in real numbers it's still kicking ass.

What in the fuck is a real number in the context of your sentence?

Thrakier

jstevenson said:
Infamous was only out for like 6 days. I'm sure the buzz has been keeping sales up... I keep hearing more people on boards outside the industry talking about it and picking it up

I hope so to. It's a great game and deserves every sold copy. There is also hope that it has some legs. Combined with europe and next month they could be well behind the 500.000 and on to a million, which should be good for Sucker Punch. Actually, I have no idea. :D

laserbeam said:
But what happens to profitability? Microsoft is pacing the cuts to keep the PS3 down. Microsoft knows its game over as far as placing in this generation so all they need to do is stay competative in pricing against the PS3.

It's likely MSFT will still be making a profit on the 360 even if they lower to $179. Remember last Sept they were making a profit on the 360 even after they lowered the price to $200.

SimpleDesign said:
Is it really that bad? I played the multiplayer demo for like 3 minutes and did not enjoy it at all. I came into it with an open mind and all...but yeah...I was hoping the single player would be better and the game is still on my gamefly list. Is it worth renting?

depends on how well you can tolerate poorly designed videogames

just check the official thread around here for impressions and decide if it's worthy of your time

Gamer @ Heart said:
Poor GRIN. Seriously. Wanted was a fun rental but all their games got the shit kicked out of them at retail.

maybe they should make a good game for a change? not saying that'll guarantee them sales but i'd be a start

womfalcs3

Banned
Nintendo doesn't need to cut price of the Wii. They have the market in great position for them right now. They can ride it longer.

Mrbob said:
PS3 really needs a price drop. Its lagging hardware sales are affecting software sales. Even their own.

Having said this, Infamous sales are ok. Hopefully after next month it can put up another 100-125k of sales so its one month true total will be around 300k.

Sony expects a 30% increase in PS3 sales this fiscal year. That means they'll cut price. My guess would be somewhere in between August and October, with close to August being more likely.

sionyboy said:
I think that the Wii is finally hitting that glass ceiling that inevitably comes with selling your console at the same price for too long.
We all know that last year it became the system to go the longest without a price drop. However, it's been another year. At this point has any other platform not had two price drops? *checks* Actually I guess it has a few months more to go before it's as old as X360 was when it got its second major round of price drops in September 2008. And DS has only yet had the one price drop on the original model.
Kusagari said:
Why exactly did anyone figure it was 'big' to begin with? It's a franchise that hasn't had a game since the SNES.
Heh. To go with a popular measurement of time, it was even before Duke Nukem Forever began production.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I think inFAMOUS will do better than Prototype (PS3) easily next month. It will be like MLB 09 the show versus MLB 2K9, where the PS3 fanbase crowds around the exclusive title, and the third-party one sells crap. The real story will be whether or not it outsells Prototype (360) overall. Next month of course Prototype (360) will be higher, but it will remain to be seen whether it will also be like MLB 09 the Show, and outsell Prototype (360). I don't like comparing the two, but lots of people do :'(

schuelma said:

Wii really starting to take a drop. I know a price drop is against the new Nintendo plan, but if things keep falling in June July I think it might be time for something.

PS3 is down almost 40% for May this year compared to last year. Thats not really steady at all.

Valtor

Banned
Ramenman said:
HAHA ! HARDCORE GAMING IS BACK !! TAKE THAT NINTENDONT ! :D

This is only the beginning !

You'll be sorry you ditched the loyal hardcore gamers that made you what you are Nintendo ! I've always said you would !

...even through your sarcasm, how is UFC hardcore? it attracted everyone who watches UFC, which is quite popular right now from what I understand, so there's nothing hardcore about that game... It's like saying Madden is for hardcore players...

Good numbers for Punch-Out and InFamous.

I think Punch-Out will have legs, definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if next month's numbers are similar to this month's (given that it was on the market for about a week and a half).

FrankT

laserbeam said:
But what happens to profitability? Microsoft is pacing the cuts to keep the PS3 down. Microsoft knows its game over as far as placing in this generation so all they need to do is stay competative in pricing against the PS3.

Knocking an additional $20 and $50 on each SKU at four years in I don't think will eat into their profit lines too much as long as they can make up those losses elsewhere. The prices 4 years in on this HW should be down considerably by now. Considering all the Live points, Live subs, accessories and games they will sale to these new customers versus them going to another product I believe it would be more than worth it in the end. Ulitmatly that is up to MS to decide, but don't think they are not aware that a slim PS3 is coming with a price cut, and working on what they can do to counter that at this point.

The Experiment said:
What in the fuck is a real number in the context of your sentence?

Not a percentage. Clear enough for you now genius (aka 289.5k Wiis sold for the month).

chubigans said:
I thought for sure inFamous wouldn't even chart. Great advertising campaign so far and the word-of-mouth is really picking up steam. Should chart in June too.

SCEA actually pulled through marketing wise on that one. Woo!

I'm really having my doubts on this, but we shall see.

Frillen

DMeisterJ said:
I think inFAMOUS will do better than Prototype (PS3) easily next month. It will be like MLB 09 the show versus MLB 2K9, where the PS3 fanbase crowds around the exclusive title, and the third-party one sells crap. The real story will be whether or not it outsells Prototype (360) overall. Next month of course Prototype (360) will be higher, but it will remain to be seen whether it will also be like MLB 09 the Show, and outsell Prototype (360). I don't like comparing the two, but lots of people do :'(

I'm calling it now, Prototype will bomb big time.

clashfan

EagleEyes said:
...Anybody who says those are good numbersa are just kidding themselves. Didn't another new IP(Too Human) debut late in the month of August last year with similar numbers and everybody universally called it a bomb.

Word.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Frillen said:
Well there's a small title called Wii Sports Resort w/Wii Motion Plus coming out in July. Might boost sales a bit :p

Yeah that's what I said if they somehow kept falling even after WSR.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Infamous did better than I thought it'd do. Yay! Great game, deserves every sale it got. I had a blast with it.

UFC...holy shit, that did WAAAAY better than I thought it would. This makes me happy for THQ. I hope it can save them.

Punch out did worse than I thought, but not by much. I bet it still goes on to sell a ton.

I wish the wii fit, ea active, and wii play weren't included in the top 10. It's not that I'm dissing them or anything, but 2 aren't really games, and 1 is a controller. It's not very instructive to me as a gamer. I'm not dissing them either, I'm probably buying a wii and ea active for the wife and I, but I'm buying it as an exercise tool, not a game.

markatisu

schuelma said:

You are being very liberal with the meaning of steady, PS3 is down again and 360 has been out much longer so it "should" be stable month to month

It took the Wii almost 3 years to come to earthly levels so its probably heading towards a stable center like the 360 got to last year, all without a price drop.

I would not drop the price at all unless they are going to start bundling M+ in so that they can get added value.

Look at Japan, their sales are shit and they are just getting a new color

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Revelations said:
PS3 is down almost 50% for May this year compared to last year. Thats not really steady at all.

I meant steady compared to last month. Not saying the numbers are at all good- I just thought they would get even worse this month.

A challenge for the sales agers....

Which PS3 / 360 games have shown up in a second month of top 10 figures after only having 1 week or less of sales in the first month?

(I'm looking into it, but I know some nutter here has those sorts of figures on hand!)

jax (old)

Banned
Unison said:

to be fair to EA - Nintendo got there first and probably could have saturated the market. Still 300K is nothing to laugh at.

I don't know if the inFamous numbers are good or not. It really ought to sell better. /hmmm

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I tip my bright red hat to you, Infamous.

knitoe

Vitet said:
What's so funny about that? Casual users mostly only buy 1 system. Right now, it's the Wii. Put in another choice, Wii will surely loose sales and 360/PS3 gain sales. Only question is how many.

itxaka

Defeatist
Classic_Gs said:
5 straight months down for the PS3, YoY.

Didn't Sony update their forecast from 10 million to 13 this year?

ugh, investors are gonna be pissed of if they don't ramp up sales.

Nolan.

Psychotext said:

Which PS3 / 360 games have shown up in a second month of top 10 figures after only having 1 week or less of sales in the first month?

(I'm looking into it, but I know some nutter here has those sorts of figures on hand!)

I don't remember any

(halo doesnt count does it?)

Wow @ Infamous sales. Word of mouth hopefully keeps sales steady for it through June. But I think Sony needs a price drop on the PS3 ASAP, just to state the obvious.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wait, am I missing something? Mama Robotnick hate?

What have these threads come to!?

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
clashfan said:

Too Human is not a fair comparison. First, the sales of that game were North American centric as it was a game with more north american appeal. Second, Too Human had terrible reviews, so sales were doomed to be front heavy, whereas Infamous had great reviews, great buzz, and almost everyone that plays it loves it. Too Human, not so much.

So to call this a Too Human Bomba is not accurate IMO. Didn't Uncharted sell about 35k its first week in North America? It went on to sell around 1 million in NA alone. So calling anything a bomb because of one week of sales is very short sighted. Good games sell consistently over the long term, and Infamous is a good game.

laserbeam

Banned
Frillen said:
So anyone else thinks Tiger Woods 2010 for the Wii could be the June surprise? How high can it chart, top 5?
I could see it maybe getting in at #5. I think EA Sports Active could really bound up though too so its hard to say.

They are pushing Tiger Woods hard and all the early adopters of Motion+ are primarily buying Tiger Woods.

Nolan.

itxaka said:
Halo 3? wasn't it launched like the 26th of november?

EDIT:

Didn't LBP appeared on 2 different top tens after 4/6 days? Also, Killzone 2?

I don't remember about Lbp but I think it charted in the ps3 top ten.

damisa

Vitet said:
Considering the vast majority of the people who bought the Wii has done it because of Wii Sports, I predict that WSR will sell millions :p

Save this post for future self-ownage xD

I think it's basically a given WSR will sell millions. My only question is what kind of system seller will it be?

I'm actually not expecting it to be a huge system seller, however, I have a feeling wii fit plus will sell a ton of systems. Ubisoft is right, fitness is the next big thing.

knitoe said:
What's so funny about that? Casual users mostly only buy 1 system. Right now, it's the Wii. Put in another choice, Wii will surely loose sales and 360/PS3 gain sales. Only question is how many.
Actually something like 95% of users only buy a single system. The PS2 last gen had two other equivalent choices and it only "lost" 30% of the total market to the other guys.

Once a brand is entrenched in the popular imagination (iPod, Wii), it can be very difficult for imitators to break in (Zune, Natal 360). It's called First Mover Advantage. Maybe next gen, when the slate is wiped clean, but not this one.

markatisu

Frillen said:
So anyone else thinks Tiger Woods 2010 for the Wii could be the June surprise? How high can it chart, top 5?

Purely anecodotal but the GAF thread here is massive for the game and its been in the Top 4 at Amazon for a month now (the only titles up that high were Punch Out, EA Active, Infamous and Wii Fit and you see how they sold)

Tiger Woods usually misses the overall Top 10 but I think it will definitely be in Junes for the Wii

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Psychotext said:

Didn't Killzone 2 do that?

DMeisterJ

Banned
I hope Sony is smarter with Uncharted 2 and launches it not around big releases. I don't think it was smart for inFAMOUS to come out at this time, only 1 -2 weeks before Prototype and Red Faction and UFC. Should have had a quieter launch. I really hope they don't try to push UC2 with CoD MW2 and the like. Be smart, and put it in October so it can have time to flourish.

FrankT

Psychotext said:

Few off the top of my head, Killzone 2, Forza 2, and Halo 3. Will add if I remember anymore.

CoG said:

Actually it did. Dropped off like a rock in it's 3rd NPD however.

Karma said:
You cant blame marketing for this one. I saw infamous ads everywhere. Even saw one before Star Trek movie.
Good marketing isn't just about ad penetration.
You also have to make people want to buy what you're selling.

Vitet

knitoe said:

Think about this: The xbox and the Gamecube have the same control but better graphics compared to the PS2. But the PS2 smashed them in sales.

You really think that Natal could really have a huge impact on sales at this time of the generation? All because of the casual mass?
Or you're going to tell me that ALL the PS2 users base is hardcore? XD

Anyway, Nintendo will not magically stop to release games if Natal comes out...

Top Bottom