• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
BrokenSymmetry said:
Comparison May 2008 - May 2009

DS 452.6K - 633.5K +40%
Wii 675.1K - 289.5K -57%
PS3 208.7K - 131K -37%
360 186.6K - 175K -6%
PSP 182.3K - 100.4K -45%

So. I think that's a solid 7 months of year on year decline for PS3. Pretty bad really.

farnham

Banned
knitoe said:
A) Developer Kits already went out. Seems pretty close to final. I would rush it. First games will hardly take advantage of it, but shovel ware (casuals love them) and slight enhancements for HC.

B) Not just internet. How about looking around. There are more things than just computer & GAF. Regular TV news covering technology are talking about it. And, still months to hype to consumers.

C) Wii sales aren't diminishing? So it's trend as 2006, 2007 and 2008? Yes. Name calling always shows who's more intelligent.

D) You have proof it couldn't be $250? Seattle article?

E) Unfortunately, will see in 2010.
so if wii sales are in a slump

what are 360 sales are in..

im repeating.. 360 got outsold this month ... again...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I thought for sure inFamous wouldn't even chart. Great advertising campaign so far and the word-of-mouth is really picking up steam. Should chart in June too.

SCEA actually pulled through marketing wise on that one. Woo!

i'm not surprised by punch out personally. it has little to no appeal to anyone that didn't play the original. the gameplay may be simple, but it is unashamedly old school, and it's not something casuals and new gamers are going to have the patience for.

i've been gaming my whole life and i hadn't played the original. i cannot see the appeal beyond nostalgia.

heck, even the adverts are based around nostalgia featuring footage from the original NES game and the whole 'Mac is Back' angle. great advertising for a game like this, but frankly if you didn't play punch out back in the day... i don't think it's for you.

lets see how prototype does compared to Infamous. it may not be the better game, but i can see it having wider appeal (lol gore).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
mr stroke said:
Did Punch Out really do that well? 150k from a Nintendo franchise with a huge install base, I really thought it would be 400-500k+
I am honestly surprised that it did so well. It seems like a game firmly routed in the 8bit/16bit era, not something that would really appeal to modern audiences despite the updated graphics and tacked on motion control.

Wii Will Rock U said:
Super happy that Punch-Out and EA Sports Active broke into the top 10.

A little appalled at the fact Mario Kart Wii outsold Punch-Out though, :lol

I just realized your username is "Wii Will Rock U"

that's certainly...something

ICallItFutile said:
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but this is the LOWEST sales number the NPD has ever listed for PSP.
It has a great line up, so hopefully when those games are released it'll breath new life into the system. With a little luck, maybe Sony will reconsider their dumbass pricing of the PSP Go as well.

Vitet

[Nintex] said:
If WSR bombs, than Nintendo should be worried.
Considering the vast majority of the people who bought the Wii has done it because of Wii Sports, I predict that WSR will sell millions :p

Save this post for future self-ownage xD

sullytao

Not great for most systems. I am at the very least glad that Wolverine did well. Its my surprise good game of the year so far.

EagleEyes

While i'm enjoying inFamous quite a bit, those sales numbers are horrible. Anybody who says those are good numbersa are just kidding themselves. Didn't another new IP(Too Human) debut late in the month of August last year with similar numbers and everybody universally called it a bomb.

FrankT

Revelations said:
360 will be going into its 4th year in November 2009. It needs to be at $150 or $175 at that time.

Yea I've been going back and forth on this, but $179 Arcade with two pack-ins for the holiday aimed at more of the casual crowd will sale like hotcakes like the Arcade holiday bundles last year. They could throw in Banjo and Fable 2 for next to nothing on cost. Then get the 60GB down to $249 with perhaps one holiday pack-in. Those offerings would be pretty completive for this fall and perhaps save a slim redesign plus Natal for holiday 2010. Something like a 60GB slim for holiday 2010 at $199.

soldat7

knitoe said:
Wii dropping off quickly. If I was Microsoft, would bring out Arcade + Natal @ $250 this holiday. It would handily beat the Wii. Still have 5 months to bring out plenty X-ware, ie X-play, X-sport, X-Fit and/or etc, so causal could eat it up. Just add simple enhancements, like head tracking, to HC games, Forza 3, MW2 and etc.

Uh...no.

VALIS

Another bummer month for everyone. 360 looks the least affected at -6%, PS3 with a typical high YoY decline, but the Wii is the most surprising one. Down 57%?? Was there a major game that might have boosted Wii sales in May 08?

Classic_Gs said:
5 straight months down for the PS3, YoY.

I'm pretty sure the PS3's YoY declines stretch back to last year.

womfalcs3 said:
I expected MLB 09 numbers for Infamous (About double what it sold.). That's not good, to be honest. Then again, there was no TV marketing campaign. At least I didn't see one.
i saw lots of infamous commercials during the NBA games and wrasslin'

WickedLaharl said:
bionic commando mega bomba?

can't say i feel bad about it doing so poorly being the shit game that it is
Is it really that bad? I played the multiplayer demo for like 3 minutes and did not enjoy it at all. I came into it with an open mind and all...but yeah...I was hoping the single player would be better and the game is still on my gamefly list. Is it worth renting?

Flavius

chubigans said:
I thought for sure inFamous wouldn't even chart. Great advertising campaign so far and the word-of-mouth is really picking up steam. Should chart in June too.

Haven't seen this great advertising campaign. I'll have to google that. ;)

As far as sales go, yeah, I think it'll definitely chart again. I say it at least gets another 200,000 next month, based on abso-farking-lutely nothing substantive whatsoever.

knitoe

farnham said:
so if wii sales are in a slump

what are 360 sales are in..

im repeating.. 360 got outsold this month ... again...
360 or PS3 sales will never beat Wii. Why. HC gamers don't want to hear this, but casual gamers rule the industry. Until 360 or PS3 gets their attention, not going to happen with FPS, RPGs, sim racing using a classic controller. That's where Natal comes in. Casual users buying 360 + Natal won't be buying Wii.

I been saying this since at least 2008 in that Microsoft & Sony needs to release "Waggle" to compete.

Frillen

sullytao said:
Not great for most systems. I am at the very least glad that Wolverine did well. Its my surprise good game of the year so far.

Yeah, played the demo and loved it, but won't buy until <30$.

Owzers

chubigans said:

It's a BAD thing when people expect Sony's big titles to not break 100k in their first NPD month. This isn't Banjo or Folklore or other first party titles that don't have as much of a widespread appeal. These " the game didn't bomb" celebrations just seem so tragic.

farnham

Banned
VALIS said:
Another bummer month for everyone. 360 looks the least affected at -6%, PS3 with a typical high YoY decline, but the Wii is the most surprising one. Down 57%?? Was there a major game that might have boosted Wii sales in May 08?

I'm pretty sure the PS3's YoY declines stretch back to last year.
well smash, wii fit and mario kart did come out in march, april, may

laserbeam

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Yea I've been going back and forth on this, but $179 Arcade with two pack-ins for the holiday aimed at more of the casual crowd will sale like hotcakes like the Arcade holiday bundles last year. They could throw in Banjo and Fable 2 for next to nothing on cost. Then get the 60GB down to $249 with perhaps one holiday pack-in. Those offerings would be pretty completive for this fall and perhaps save a slim redesign plus Natal for holiday 2010. Something like a 60GB slim for holiday 2010 at $199.

But what happens to profitability? Microsoft is pacing the cuts to keep the PS3 down. Microsoft knows its game over as far as placing in this generation so all they need to do is stay competative in pricing against the PS3.

Pein

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
bionic commando mega bomba?

can't say i feel bad about it doing so poorly being the shit game that it is
bionic commando was good, ending was was weak but still it was really fun.

good numbers for infamous, the great advertising is hopefully working so it charts in june.

Nolan.

wonderkins said:
As deliriously stupid as this statement:

:lol

Indeed, Infamous wasnt that hyped to be fair.

EagleEyes said:
While i'm enjoying inFamous quite a bit, those sales numbers are horrible. Anybody who says those are good numbersa are just kidding themselves. Didn't another new IP(Too Human) debut late in the month of August last year with similar numbers and everybody universally called it a bomb.

168,200 units in a ten day period
to be precise

Tiktaalik

Nintendo wouldn't have done the sort of advertising campaign that they did if they didn't think Punch Out had the potential to reach casuals and the expanded audience. If Punch Out ends up not having the best of legs and essentially seems to only sell to nostalgic hardcore gamers then it will definitely be a disappointment for NoA.

Really you can't look at just this month and make a judgement. It's a lower tier Nintendo franchise so it all depends on next month sales and the month after to see if it's an evergreen title and to see if the casuals and the expanded audience are picking it up.

markatisu

:lol at anybody thinking the Wii needs a price drop

Punch Out did good, it has been 16 years since or so since the last version came out, next month we will see if it has legs. More Wii games that never chart sell in the high 700-800k so how can people make the argument that one that charts will only reach the mid 500's??

Ramenman

Haunted said:
Miyamoto could make UFC.

You don't have enough cred to do sarcasm like that yet I'm afraid. ;)

If you mean that I don't have enough to make people understand immediately when they read it I totally agree :D
That's the cool thing about it, like the "Shot themselves in the foot I'm an expert" meme. Just throw it there and see if people take it seriously.

And it's not like it's tricky to spot anyway, I mean Wii Will Rock U spotted it right away so it's pretty accessible :D

Jtyettis said:

Yup. a $179 pricepoint is good and MSFT would probably still be making a buck on every sold 360. Wouldnt eat into their margin at all.

And they are still up for a yoy numbers increase.

Flavius said:
Haven't seen this great advertising campaign. I'll have to google that. ;)

As far as sales go, yeah, I think it'll definitely chart again. I say it at least gets another 200,000 next month, based on abso-farking-lutely nothing substantive whatsoever.

Hmm, it'll have competition from Prototype from early June, I don't see it selling more than it did this month.

My6cats

Banned
laserbeam said:
No one hyped Punch Out to be some huge seller. Infamous on the other hand was being hyped as the next great seller for PS3. Every single PS3 exclusive outside of MGS4 has been meh on sales
I don’t remember anybody on GAF hyping Infamous as the next great seller for PS3

farnham

Banned
markatisu said:
:lol at anybody thinking the Wii needs a price drop

Punch Out did good, it has been 16 years since or so since the last version came out, next month we will see if it has legs. More Wii games that never chart sell in the high 700-800k so how can people make the argument that one that charts will only reach the mid 500's??
wouldnt be bad though

Nobody in their right minds would have pitched Punch Out or Infamous as million sellers in the first month. The latter is a new IP and the former had its last release 13 years ago, so it may as well be a new IP.

I don't remember seeing any "wait for Infamous" posts at all and the Punch Out! thread was filled with wails and cries of "Bombabots"

Mrbob

PS3 really needs a price drop. Its lagging hardware sales are affecting software sales. Even their own.

Having said this, Infamous sales are ok. Hopefully after next month it can put up another 100-125k of sales so its one month true total will be around 300k.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
A bit surprised that PS3 and 360 remained relatively steady.

Wii really starting to take a drop. I know a price drop is against the new Nintendo plan, but if things keep falling in June July I think it might be time for something.

markatisu

Tiktaalik said:
Both Infamous and Punch Out have had heaps of commercials.

And the advertising is why Punch Out probably charted in the first place

Lets revisit Punch Out at Christmas time and see where it stands, if casual buyers had to choose a game they picked EA Active and will pick up Punch Out later

laserbeam

Banned
SimpleDesign said:
The Wii needs more software to drive sales, but a price drop wouldn't hurt. That goes double for Nintendo in Japan.

Japan is crazy about their colors so they could rebound on those alone. MH Tri should move quite a bit as well. The fact Nintendo has refused to lower the price in Japan/NA/EU seems to indicate they seem to believe they have the right cards in hand to fix it

Top Bottom