• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Comparison May 2008 - May 2009

DS 452.6K - 633.5K +40%
Wii 675.1K - 289.5K -57%
PS3 208.7K - 131K -37%
360 186.6K - 175K -6%
PSP 182.3K - 100.4K -45%

farnham

Banned
idoprime said:
Wii Needs a Price Cut by this holiday, at least $50 cut. ($199)

360 could use another $25 off. ($175 Arcade, $275 Pro)

PS3 needs a $100 Cut ASAP. ($299)
No on Wii and No on 360

agree on the PS3.. (wtf its still at 400)

MotherFan

knitoe said:
Laugh all you want, but Natal is hot item right now. By holiday, I have no doubt it would have been the "IT" toy for holiday. For Microsoft to wait until next year, the hype could be gone or severely diminish.

MS is not going to release it this year. It won't release for a long time. They built hype to counteract Sony and Nintendo. That is the only reason it was even shown. And even if it is released (1% chance) then Nintendo would still beat it with NSMB.

Tiktaalik

Insane scores for UFC. Really the sport is much more popular than people think. Someone brought in the game today and folks were crowding around watching. People that I never would have expected to know or care about UFC were talking about upcoming fights and seemed to know tons about the sport. Mind boggling. EA kinda missed the boat here so it'll be interesting to see if they can catch up with their upcoming mixed martial arts game.

PUNCH OUT!! (Wii) 156.9K

Considering the incredible advertising and considering that I thought this had huuuge cross over appeal between casuals and hardcore I thought this would be much, much better than this. I wonder if this is going to come across as a big dissapointment?

It should be interesting to see in the upcoming months how this sells, whether it stays in the top 10 through the doldrums of summer, whether it drops just off the list but continues to have some legs or whether there's a drop off.

Busaiku

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm surprised at EA Sport Active doing worse than Wii Fit. Can anyone think of a reason for this? Does EA Sport Active require the balance board or something? Are people just getting confused when they go into the store and ask for it, getting Wii Fit instead?
I think it is Balance Board compatibile.

[Nintex]

MS doesn't have the software ready to sell NATAL this holiday, they already said it's releasing in 2010. Nintendo however will launch their so called triple punch in the latter half of this year. Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Fit Plus. Super Mario Galaxy will follow spring 2010. If WSR bombs, than Nintendo should be worried.

laserbeam

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Everything's down again this year but the DS. The Wii number seems low, given the high bar the Wii has set in the past. Normally, ~300K would be an OK number.

Punch Out did OK as well. We'll see if Lil' Mac has those Nintendo legs.

I'm surprised at EA Sport Active doing worse than Wii Fit. Can anyone think of a reason for this? Does EA Sport Active require the balance board or something? Are people just getting confused when they go into the store and ask for it, getting Wii Fit instead?

Also, what's this UFC thing? Some kind of sports franchise?

EA Sports Active can use the Balance board so I think thats why Wii Fit remains ahead. Wii fit has its usual sales and it benefits from people who want the full balance board EA Sports active experiance.

Wii fit/EA Sports active is a crazy combo of doom

mr stroke

Did Punch Out really do that well? 150k from a Nintendo franchise with a huge install base, I really thought it would be 400-500k+

FrankT

BrokenSymmetry said:

DS 452.6K - 633.5K +40%
Wii 675.1K - 289.5K -57%
PS3 208.7K - 131K -37%
360 186.6K - 175K -6%
PSP 182.3K - 100.4K -45%

Number comparisons YoY are going to be so skewed for June for the PS3 come NPD time next month. That is a pretty serious drop YoY on the Wii although in real numbers it's still kicking ass.

Nintendo will drop the price after Monster Hunter murders JPN and the Motion+ wave of Tiger, Conduit, and Resort goes through and sells systems.

Then they can make huge dough on selling New Super Mario Bros. Wii this year and Mario Galaxy 2 in 2010. Along with all the old Nintendo releases that a lot of new buyers will pick up.

Scrubking

DevelopmentArrested said:
not sure why i'm taking your uneducated posts seriously but here goes..
A) the technology isn't ready for this year so it's a moot point.
B) Natal may be a hot item to an internet nerd. Anyone else has no clue.
C) if you think the Wii sales are truely diminishing, you are an idiot.
D) if you think an Arcade+Natal would sell for $250, you are an idiot.
E) if you think the Wii will suddenly lose popularity with the new kid in town.. well see above.

Thank you for this.

farnham

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Insane scores for UFC. Really the sport is much more popular than people think. Someone brought in the game today and folks were crowding around watching. People that I never would have expected to know or care about UFC were talking about upcoming fights and seemed to know tons about the sport. Mind boggling. EA kinda missed the boat here so it'll be interesting to see if they can catch up with their upcoming mixed martial arts game.

Considering the incredible advertising and considering that I thought this had huuuge cross over appeal between casuals and hardcore I thought this would be much, much better than this. I wonder if this is going to come across as a big dissapointment?

It should be interesting to see in the upcoming months how this sells, whether it stays in the top 10 through the doldrums of summer, whether it drops just off the list but continues to have some legs or whether there's a drop off.
No.. it will probably have legs.. like any game on the wii

JKBii

Zzoram said:
Wii Fit has Mii integration and Nintendo as a publisher. It also comes with the fancier white peripheral.
I think it's just the fact that EA Sports Active had half of a month to sell and Wii Fit had an entire month.

kuYuri

Wow @ UFC. Didn't expect numbers that high. :eek:

Glad inFAMOUS made the top ten. :D

Such low numbers for hardware except DS.

Ramenman

UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED (Xbox 360) 679.6K
Wii FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD (Wii) 352.8K

HAHA ! HARDCORE GAMING IS BACK !! TAKE THAT NINTENDONT ! :D

This is only the beginning !

You'll be sorry you ditched the loyal hardcore gamers that made you what you are Nintendo ! I've always said you would !

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
LTD:

PS2 - 44,147,818
DS - 30,876,658
PSP - 15,097,336
360 - 15,240,286
PS3 - 7,749,396
Wii - 20,203,081

YTD:

PS2 - 633,200
DS - 3,335,300
PSP - 755,700
360 - 1,380,000
PS3 - 955,200
Wii - 2,662,700

YOY:

PS2 -11%
DS +40%
PSP -45%
360 -6%
PS3 -37%
Wii -57%

Flavius

Karma said:
You cant blame marketing for this one. I saw infamous ads everywhere. Even saw one before Star Trek movie.

I'm not blaming anyone as much as I am...

1. Having some fun with the fucktards who doom these titles to failsville because they're not instant million-sellers; and

2. Pointing at the elephant in the room and saying that it's impossible for Sony to achieve crazy sales numbers without extending their advertising into more non-traditional, Halo-like realms.

All indications are Sony doesn't want nor need such a thing. Works for me. If they did, they'd do something different, instead of doing the same thing over and over.

BrokenSymmetry said:

DS 452.6K - 633.5K +40%
Wii 675.1K - 289.5K -57%
PS3 208.7K - 131K -37%
360 186.6K - 175K -6%
PSP 182.3K - 100.4K -45%
5 straight months down for the PS3, YoY.

farnham

Banned
Ramenman said:

You'll be sorry you ditched the loyal hardcore gamers that made you what you are Nintendo ! I've always said you would !
oh wow comparing numbers from a game that launched exactly one year ago and a game that launched last month..:lol :lol :lol

Frillen

mr stroke said:
Did Punch Out really do that well? 150k from a Nintendo franchise with a huge install base, I really thought it would be 400-500k+

The Punch-Out franshise is obviously not as big as some poeple think it is.

donny2112

Ramenman said:

Because Nintendo published UFC on PS3/360 and skipped a Wii version, right?

Raw64life said:
Good to see both Punch Out and inFamous not bomb. And UFC did a lot better than I thought it was going to.

175k...you sure about that? Think it will chart next month for 300k? I dont think so...

Speevy

Banned
Frillen said:

I don't think it ever was past the original Mike Tyson game. Just because something is an arcade classic that's associated with an era doesn't make it a multi-million seller.

knitoe

DevelopmentArrested said:
not sure why i'm taking your uneducated posts seriously but here goes..
A) the technology isn't ready for this year so it's a moot point.
B) Natal may be a hot item to an internet nerd. Anyone else has no clue.
C) if you think the Wii sales are truely diminishing, you are an idiot.
D) if you think an Arcade+Natal would sell for $250, you are an idiot.
E) if you think the Wii will suddenly lose popularity with the new kid in town.. well see above.

Oh shit. Call Oprah and warn her. The Natal was on Jimmy fucking Fallon! Put it in stores tomorrow, it'll move megatons!
A) Developer Kits already went out. Seems pretty close to final. I would rush it. First games will hardly take advantage of it, but shovel ware (casuals love them) and slight enhancements for HC.

B) Not just internet. How about looking around. There are more things than just computer & GAF. Regular TV news covering technology are talking about it. And, still months to hype to consumers.

C) Wii sales aren't diminishing? So it's trend as 2006, 2007 and 2008? Yes. Name calling always shows who's more intelligent.

D) You have proof it couldn't be $250? Seattle article?

E) Unfortunately, will see in 2010.

Haunted

Ramenman said:

Miyamoto could make UFC.

You don't have enough cred to do sarcasm like that yet I'm afraid. ;)

Yes Boss!

Tiktaalik said:

Punch Out!! doesn't seem like an evergreen. I'm expecting it to inch itself to 500K, half of that in Europe, and maybe 50K in Japan.

Nolan.

Zzoram said:
This month is kinda boring, and the slow pace of this thread's growth is indicative of this.

Yeah it's kind of like being able to keep up with an E3 thread... Kind of disconcerting.

Salmonax

Frillen said:
Kinda makes you wonder about people clamoring for a Kid Icarus game, considering it's far more obscure.

Frillen

knitoe said:
A) Developer Kits already went out. Seems pretty close to final. I would rush it. First games will hardly take advantage of it, but shovel ware (casuals love them) and slight enhancements for HC.

B) Not just internet. How about looking around. There are more things than just computer & GAF. Regular TV news covering technology are talking about it. And, still months to hype to consumers.

C) Wii sales aren't diminishing? So it's same as 2006, 2007 and 2008? Yes. Name calling always shows who's more intelligent.

D) You have proof it couldn't be $250? Seattle article?

E) Unfortunately, will see in 2010.

You're kidding right? RIGHT? :lol

thefro

mc_0519095.jpg

Dana White saves HD gaming (AND THQ!)

Ramenman said:

Joke post?

Kusagari

Frillen said:

Why exactly did anyone figure it was 'big' to begin with? It's a franchise that hasn't had a game since the SNES.

laserbeam

Banned
I think Nintendo should price cut not because they have to but in order to approach this more aggressive.

Sales are gonna rebound im sure without a price cut but they are making plenty of money on the Wii. Lower the price and explode sales again.

[Nintex]

Kusagari said:
Why exactly did anyone figure it was 'big' to begin with? It's a franchise that hasn't had a game since the SNES.
Alot of Nintendo fans were asking for it and it had decent advertising. It didn't chart in Europe at all. I guess it's too expensive, they should've sold it for half the price.

Frillen

Salmonax said:
Kinda makes you wonder about people clamoring for a Kid Icarus game, considering it's far more obscure.

A Kid Icarus game on the Wii would have debuted with <100k and possibly <50k in a normal month in the US, so yes.

Zzoram

Wii Will Rock U said:
Super happy that Punch-Out and EA Sports Active broke into the top 10.

A little appalled at the fact Mario Kart Wii outsold Punch-Out though, :lol

Mario Kart Wii is a much better multiplayer game, and really fun.

Top Bottom