• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Visualante said:
From the amusing Predict November's biggest disaster thread: As you can see GAF has it's finger on the pulse of the industry
I admit I was totally wrong on AC being a bomb. And I delighted to admit I was wrong too, since it's a great game :)

Blimblim said:
I admit I was totally wrong on AC being a bomb. And I delighted to admit I was wrong too, since it's a great game :)
:) I was going to go through and list everyone who called AC a disaster but I'm busy and it's Friday.

I completely echo your sentiments however, I think Anihawk was the only person who actually expressed distinct confidence in both Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed so kudos to him.

Visualante said:
From the amusing Predict November's biggest disaster thread: As you can see GAF has it's finger on the pulse of the industry

Unreal Tournament III - 4
Assassin's Creed - 19
Mass Effect - 19
Crysis - 4
Viva Pinata (PC) - 20
Blacksite: Area 51 - 24
**** and *****: Dead men - 27
Sim City: Societies - 4
Rock Band - 11
Haze - 38 (unreleased)
Raving Rabbids 2 - 3
Soul Calibur Legends - 2
Trauma Centre: New Blood - 6
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - 3
Uncharted - 11
Fire Emblem - 6
Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - 5
Beowulf - 6
Ghost Squad - 6
Scene It - 1
This thread - 1

Special mentions: Titiklabingapat for saying Mario will outsell Call of Duty 4. Bannings across the board for many including PhoenixDown.

That's awesome. I don't think he'll underestimate the buying power of the 360 userbase ever again. :lol

ziran

Sony's recent 1st party games on PS3, exclusives designed to sell the system and push its unique qualities over the competition, have been fairly disastrous. Uncharted, Lair, Ratchet and Heavenly Sword don't seem to be performing well (certainly not from the figures we've seen) and some of these must be heading for huge losses.

This adds to PS3's troubles in NA because it's struggling to distinguish itself from the 360 even to its existing owners. With in the inroads 360 and Wii have already made I think PS3 has little chance of recovery beyond, and market dominance is impossible. Europe is its last hope of a decent sized installed base.

360 hw sales are good, but its sw sales are amazing. It's definitely established itself as the hardcore (and casual hardcore) gamer's console of choice.

Wii's sales are expected to what Reggie said they would ship, and are very good. SW sales are also good, especially SMG :D and GH3. The latter outselling the 360 version is very impressive. Mario and Sonic, Link's Crossbow Training, Lego Star Wars, High School Musical and REUC all sold well. Wii is becoming the mass market system of choice and is likely to continue to follow PS2. I expect it to have comfortably outsold 360's NA LTD by this time next year (the actual takeover will probably happen quite a bit sooner).

DS sales, WOW!! Expected from NoA's press release, but still amazing numbers, and good sales for Phantom Hourglass. PSP sales, okay, however with the new model the system doesn't seem to have been given the boost it's seen in Japan.

Jokeropia

Zzoram said:
The difference to gamers is that the 360 million sellers are generally good games, whereas like, 3 of the Wii ones are.
Actually it's more like 2-3 of the Wii million sellers that could be considered of questionable quality.

cashman

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Just did...check out this shit:

alright guys this whole NPD thing is a big scam. Its something created by gaffers to bring sony fans down, and make it look like they are losing. Notice how when its posted on gaf it comes WITHOUT A SOURCE, and the poster is named "SonyCowboy" if you look at his tag it says "Xbox 360 to sell 500 million units this year" indicating that he is clearly a fanboy. Also another thing, Uncharted sales were low. This game should have kicked halo's ass in sales, and it suspiciously it sold 117K units. Notice how that is what spartan number master chief is in the halo series. Hell even Jack Tretton said himself that PS3's don't sit on the shelves longer than 5 minutes, so there is no logical explanation why it is selling so low. Clearly gaf has played us like fools. Unite PS3 warriors and take down gaf!

:lol :lol :lol

Who from here posted that?

(still have only made it to page 21)
your welcome guys

mashcan is an anogram for cashman

jakncoke

Banned
I can't believe Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank bomba'd..fucking stupid PS3 owners not buying games, at least PS3 didn't totally suck like the previous months and sub-100k months. Holy shit at DS, but it's more surprising that no game charted. And wowza Wii Play needs to gtfo it doesn't deserve to be in top 100 let alone top 10, another thought is this the first time 2 PS3 titles made the top 10 ?

FIREBABY

Late to the party. Good HW numbers for Nintendo and Microsoft, and Just amazed at the software numbers on 360. Almost 2 million selling games in one month. Wow. Mario Galaxy, see you are appreciated. Ok now someone please explain to me, where did Sony get a 298% increase? Was it week to week? And Uncharted. What the hell!? Do PS3 owners play games? This has to be the most shocking and disturbing news out of the NPD. Screw the hardware numbers. This game got all kinds of marketing and still bombed. I feel so bad for the devs. Good game that nobody wants. So I guess it gets the "Beyond Good and Evil" award this year? Damn shame, damn shame.

WasteLand Soldier said:
sony under 500k
120dalborsuper.gif

where's uncharted? ratchet? omg 360 software! ps2s reign seems over
120dalborsuper.gif

Take that fanboy shit to GameTrailers.

RJT

mr_bishiuk said:
You think they will try and write it off sooner? I doubt it companies are always looking at short term profitability in their accounts because the directors dont know if they personally will be around in the next year.

The problem will be if the auditors decide that the 10 years is too long and that it would be correct to write it off quicker.

Altenatively they may have said that we will sell 100m PS3's so we will divide the R&D by 100m and charged it on a per console basis.

I can't imagine any serious auditor allowing 10 years write offs for a technology product like PS3, even with Sony's famed 10 year plan, but I suppose there are a lot of not-so-serious auditors...

I don't think your alternative is even possible (what if they don't sell 100m?), but I could be wrong.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
ziran said:
Sony's recent 1st party games on PS3, exclusives designed to sell the system and push its unique qualities over the competition, have been fairly disastrous. Uncharted, Lair, Ratchet and Heavenly Sword don't seem to be performing well (certainly not from the figures we've seen)

Lair aside, which I have not played yet, those other first party titles do not deserve the flack they are getting from some people... they are all killer-app quality titles...

mr_bishiuk said:
You think they will try and write it off sooner?

I wonder if there is some type of accelerated write-off method for capitalized R&D expenses (similar to accelerated depreciation methods). If so, I could see Sony taking a huge hit in this year in order to increase their financial position in the near future.

REV 09

Panajev2001a said:
Lair aside, which I have not played yet, those other first party titles do not deserve the flack they are getting from some people... they are all killer-app quality titles...
so should we start considering every game that averages in the 80's killer apps now? On what basis are you calling them killer apps? Reviews don't prove them to be. Sales don't prove them to be. I've played all of them except Uncharted which is probably the best of the bunch, and I haven't personally found a killer app yet, though I have certainly enjoyed the games for what they are.

mugwhump

DiatribeEQ said:
The only person who mentioned directly the SDF was....well....you. I indirectly mentioned them, but more directly targeted....*gasp* Sony PS3 fans/owners. The SDF'ers aren't the ones not buying the games...it's the people who OWN the system that's not buying the games.

A person buys a PS3 in March of this year. 9 months later they've only bought 4 games. The trend is seemingly repeated over the entire systems userbase. SDF'ers, if anything, might be the people buying 7-8 games, but they only represent a far, far smaller % of the userbase than normal PS3 fans.

The facts are still the same: It's like a person having this great hotrod. Man, it's god a billion horsepower, can go from 0-60 in no time flat. Does a 1/4 mile under under 7 seconds, yada yada yada.

But they only take it our 4 times a year.

While the OTHER 2 people in his neighborhood, they have other cars they show off ALL the time. One guy, he's got a freakin' sweet car too. Does just about as much as the 1st guys car, sure, it's got some mechanical issues, needs to randomly go in the shop for repairs, but man, since he takes it out, ALL the time, he gets all the chicks. They LOVE his car, service problems or not. The 3rd guy, drives a zippy little 2 banger, not much to look at, has a little "Meep Meep" horn, and all in all, isn't much different than any other budget car out there...but man....EVERYONE wants one. And I mean...EVERYONE.

But the 1st guy....he's the guy that just breaks out his car a couple times a year, is always seen washing and waxing it, checking tire pressure, vaccuming out the interior....then he starts it back up, revs the engine a couple times.....then backs it slowely into the garage and then he's done with it till who knows when again.

Wanna guess who is who?
-_-
The ones you were raving at while casting aspersions on their buying power/manliness, the ones saying 'once game x comes out, it's ALLLLL over for Microsoft,' are internet fanboys with no real influence over software sales. They DO buy games.

Average PS3 owners, the ones who don't buy games, they don't care about game x and what game x will do to Microsoft. They do not exist on the internet, and thus cannot appreciate your inspiring call to arms or your well-reasoned and pertinent car analogies.

dankir

I'm dissapointed in all fellow PS3 users how could you not buy more copies of Uncharted?
I said its my PS3 game of the year in my review. Shame on all of you!

Nameless

Perhaps the most impressive thing the 360 has accomplished thus far this generation is the amount of new IPs it has birthed, and how many of those new IPs have ascended to AAA/Killer App status for the console: Lost Planet, Saint's Row, Dead Rising, Gears of War, Crackdown, Mass Effect, Bioshock etc..

IMO thats the most telling evidence about how this generation is shaping up. In generations past thats been the Playstation brand's trademark--not only having the proven franchises do well, but creating new & unique system sellers along the way.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
REV 09 said:
On what basis are you calling them killer apps?

On the basis of having played them ?

Resistance, Uncharted, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, etc... each game shows amazing production values, they are a benchmark for other titles as far as what the system can provide the player visually and music wise is concerned. They are not budget titles, nor rushed ones, nor unpolished ones either.

Do you think that Super Mario Galaxy is GOTF for me because of the reviews it gets or because of the sales it is getting ? No way it would not matter if it were a misunderstood title (like Shenmue I and Shenmue II :p).

Penguin

Nameless said:
Perhaps the most impressive thing the 360 has accomplished thus far this generation is the amount of new IPs it has birthed, and how many of those new IPs have ascended to AAA/Killer App status for the console: Lost Planet, Saint's Row, Dead Rising, Gears of War, Crackdown, Mass Effect, Bioshock etc..

IMO thats the most telling evidence about how this generation is shaping up. In generations past thats been the Playstation brand's trademark--not only having the proven franchises do well, but creating new & unique system sellers along the way.

I'm curious if all of those franchises can maintain stellar numbers over the generation.
I would guess there would be a point where they reach some form of saturation but the 360 seems to be a different type of beast at times.
I would say happy that most of the new IPs are stellar games though.

ziran said:
Sony's recent 1st party games on PS3, exclusives designed to sell the system and push its unique qualities over the competition, have been fairly disastrous. Uncharted, Lair, Ratchet and Heavenly Sword don't seem to be performing well (certainly not from the figures we've seen) and some of these must be heading for huge losses.

This adds to PS3's troubles in NA because it's struggling to distinguish itself from the 360 even to its existing owners.

It's amazing how quickly what was perceived as a market strength for Sony, game and genre diversity, has turned into a bit of a weakness. With Microsoft catering heavily to the hardcore, and Nintendo creating a gaming frenzy among the causal, Sony has been left standing alone in the middle without a clearly definable market persona. A position I think, that has made the platform all too easy to be dismissed as a $600 blu-ray player.

Nameless

Penguin said:
I'm curious if all of those franchises can maintain stellar numbers over the generation.
I would guess there would be a point where they reach some form of saturation but the 360 seems to be a different type of beast at times.
I would say happy that most of the new IPs are stellar games though.

If those titles at the very least maintain the same level of quality from the previous installments they'll do fine. Thats another thing about the 360 userbase is that they buy quality games regaurdless. Outside of Viva Pinata, I can't think of one great game that didn't do well on the system. A game like Uncharted would've been huge on the 360 even if you split its userbase in half.

MakMan

Can anyone make a Xbox-consoles (Xbox 1 + 360) versus PlayStation-consoles (PS2 + PS3) monthly sales graph since the launch of the 360? I would like see how much the PS2->PS3 transition is disturbed by people hopping on the 360 ride.

jarrod

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
I'd say HS is probably debatable too going by it's critical reception. Uncharted and R&CF do seem sort of overlooked though... I'd definitely get both if I had a PS3 anyway. :/

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
My theory on the PS3 software disappointments is that they are the wrong kind of game to sell to the people who own these expensive consoles right now. They don't have online multiplayer. As someone who pays for Xbox Live it's hard to justify spending $60 on a game (except for long RPGs) that don't have it. You will get the same experience in 6-8 months when it drops in price.

I bought CoD 4 for the PS3 because I wanted something to play on it and it was actually a good port. I kick myself every time I turn on my 360 and half of my friends list is playing CoD 4. I won't be doing that again for any multiplatform release.

UT3 will be an interesting case study. I think it has an uphill climb on consoles though because it came out last and its name is not as well known to console gamers as Halo and CoD.

ziran

Panajev2001a said:
What's your definition of a killer app?

Because I don't think it has anything to do with subjective quality of a game. From what I understand in reference to a sales discussion, a killer app is something which sells hardware and sells well. Those games aren't selling well or pushing systems.

Currently Wii Sports, Zelda, Halo, Gears of War, Mario, Brain Training, Nintendogs, these are killer apps, not Lair, Uncharted, Ratchet or Heavenly Sword. They might be good titles, but, again, that's subjective.

captscience said:
It's amazing how quickly what was perceived as a market strength for Sony, game and genre diversity, has turned into a bit of a weakness. With Microsoft catering heavily to the hardcore, and Nintendo creating a gaming frenzy among the causal, Sony has been left standing alone in the middle without a clearly definable market persona. A position I think, that has made the platform all too easy to be dismissed as a $600 blu-ray player.
I agree.

And I think with Sony fumbling both 360 and Wii's market are in for some overlap. Sony's mistakes this generation are going to ring through the annals of gaming history like nothing before. It really is a dramatic turnaround in fortunes, thus far Sony has done everything wrong.

TheKurgan

jarrod said:
I'd say HS is probably debatable too going by it's critical reception. Uncharted and R&CF do seem sort of overlooked though... I'd definitely get both if I had a PS3 anyway. :/

I don't get why R&C and Uncharted don't sell on the PS3. It's not like PS3 owners don't buy games - COD4 sold 450k and AC sold almost 400K. I would think a AAA game like Uncharted would be at least up there with AC.

As soon as the ShockAxis is packed in with the PS3 here in NA I am picking up a 40GB and Uncharted ASAP.

jarrod

Banned
ziran said:
I agree.

And I think with Sony fumbling both 360 and Wii's market are in for some overlap. Sony's mistakes this generation are going to ring through the annals of gaming history like nothing before. It really is a dramatic turnaround in fortunes, thus far Sony has done everything wrong.
It's sort of amazing... almost a bit like a complete reversal of their 32bit rise (with Microsoft stepping in for SEGA).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lefty42o said:
only way to go :D

Yes, yes, yes! It feels so freaking good to finally be completely bias-free. Kinda fun to sit back and observe the insecurities of those who don't own every console rather than being mired in that mess (even if you are just one console short, or one portable console short as I was for too long). It's like a weight off my back.

TheKurgan said:
I don't get why R&C and Uncharted don't sell on the PS3. It's not like PS3 owners don't buy games - COD4 sold 450k and AC sold almost 400K. I would think a AAA game like Uncharted would be at least up there with AC.

As soon as the ShockAxis is packed in with the PS3 here in NA I am picking up a 40GB and Uncharted ASAP.
It's a new and unknown IP to the mass market and probably to the most PS3 owners, Sony just failed at promoting it right...

It appears that we've been wrong about the PS3 userbase.

Multiplatform ownership isn't what's killing the sales of PS3 exclusives.

*Generalization time*

PS3 owners seem to have the same taste as 360 owners. Games simply sell less because the userbase is smaller. We've been witnessing the same thing in PAL territories, and to a lesser extent in Japan. The same game will come out on both consoles (COD4, AC, Winning Eleven, FIFA, Bladestorm, Dynasty Warriors), and based on regional differences, the "it" console will gain the most sales.

The vast majority of gamers on both platforms prefer multiplatform third party games for their monthly fix.

The difference between the two platforms is that not many in Japan seem to care about MS' exclusives (compared to Sony's), and not many in PAL/US care about Sony exclusives (compared to MS').

This being an NPD thread, it's quite obvious that Sony is in deep shit in North America if this scenario is true. The only games that would appear to be system sellers in its 2008 lineup in the US are GT5, Killzone 2, and MGS4. All of the other big games that people actually will care about enough to buy in droves are coming to the 360 as well, so Sony does NOT have the overwhelming software advantage that some would like to believe next year.

2007 has shown us the difference between PS2 'system sellers' and games that 'sold really well because they were on the PS2'. Ratchet obviously falls into the latter category. It remains to be seen if games like Wipeout, SOCOM, Sucker Punch games, or The Getaway can actually move units.

Hellraizer said:
It's a new and unknown IP to the mass market and probably to the most PS3 owners, Sony just failed at promoting it right...

This marketing excuse has got to end now. No one is to 'blame' for the underwhelming sales of Uncharted except for PS3 owners not giving a crap, and that's their right as a system owner, to make choices on software, even if it is a lousy choice based on some of the remarks here. It's impossible to watch any sporting event in the US without seeing the PS3 montage commercial, and I must've seen the Uncharted commercial at least half a dozen times during TNT's Lakers/Spurs broadcast last night.

It is MUCH more important (to the longevity of the PS3) for games like COD4 and AC to have the healthy sales that they did than for ND to get theirs.

As I said, it's increasingly obvious that PS3 owners are by and large the same kind of people who are buying 360s, and want the same kind of games. Expecting a game like LBP or Ratchet to suddenly break out and do Halo numbers is unrealistic, even if Sony dumped $50 million into marketing. Killzone 2 has a much better chance of being that game.

AstroLad said:
Yes, yes, yes! It feels so freaking good to finally be completely bias-free. Kinda fun to sit back and observe the insecurities of those who don't own every console rather than being mired in that mess (even if you are just one console short, or one portable console short as I was for too long). It's like a weight off my back.
Ehhh, I can't afford it.

I'll stick with my insecurities...

Top Bottom