• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

donny2112

USConsoles-6.png

WWConsoles-4.png

PS360vsWII-2.png

PS360 has been outselling the Wii for the last few months.

PS3vs360-1.png

Chrange

Banned
coralfangs said:
PS: let's not forget that many xbox360 users have multiple 360s because many are buying the arcade/core for backups. So MS shouldn't be too proud for their numbers

That explains the huge attach rate then, as they must also be buying multiple copies of games in case zombies attack.

Kittonwy

Banned
Nameless said:
They also fucked up by going through a second consecutive holiday season without a bona fide system seller, or at the very least a collective group of games that make the system a must buy product. And like you said, a lot of that is the result of sheer arrogance. People gave Nintendo shit for moving Zelda:TP development over the Wii but it helped move units last holiday season. Maybe Sony should have done the same thing with God of War II. Also, I would've done everything possible to make sure that MGS4 launched this year--as much money, resources, extra programmers Konami needed, I would've provided. Now its going to launch in the Spring time with only a fraction of the system selling power it would've had during the holidays.

If you look at the PS3's current situation its the direct result of arrogance and piss-poor planning on Sony's part.

Blame that shit on Studstill and Caterson, and maybe Barlog. Total shit short-sighted attitude towards contributing to the userbase and basically just looking at their own bottomline. I blame Shuhei and Phil for letting that happen. The whole first-party still making PS2 games is a complete fucking disgrace. FUCKING DISGRACE.

But I'm totally pinning the lack of God of War on the PS3 on Santa Monica.

Nolan.

Nameless said:
They also fucked up by going through a second consecutive holiday season without a bona fide system seller, or at the very least a collective group of games that make the system a must buy product. And like you said, a lot of that is the result of sheer arrogance. People gave Nintendo shit for moving Zelda:TP development over the Wii but it helped move units last holiday season. Maybe Sony should have done the same thing with God of War II. Also, I would've done everything possible to make sure that MGS4 launched this year--as much money, resources, extra programmers Konami needed, I would've provided. Now its going to launch in the Spring time with only a fraction of the system selling power it would've had during the holidays.

If you look at the PS3's current situation its the direct result of arrogance and piss-poor planning on Sony's part.

I think in Sony's mind R&C, Heavenly Sword and Uncharted were their system sellers. Unfortuntely after the whole Lair thing their games seem to have dropped one after the other for what ever reason. I don't think personally that any of their new Ip's was ever going to save them from the trauma of Smg and Halo3. I expected their best bet of countering to be Kz2 and/or Mgs4. I think one of those would have eased the burden a lot.

RJT

tanod said:
*fellow accountant/controller here*

I've always said that every accountant cooks the books. The good ones follow the recipe. ;)

To reiterate what somebody said: You can't amortize R&D costs any more. Specifically prohibited by Sarbanes Oxley, IIRC. It gets expensed when the product is released
I'm in Europe, you still can here. I'm not sure about the IFRS rules though.

Raw64life

Again, for anyone who missed it or doesn't feel like wading through the thread...

360 ROCK BAND (T) 312K
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED: COLLECTOR'S EDITION (M) 140K

WII MARIO AND SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES (E) 328K
WII WII ZAPPER W/ LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING (E) 232K
WII LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE TRILOGY (E) 180K
WII HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL (E) 180K
WII RESIDENT EVIL UMBRELLA CHRONICLES (M) 121K
WII MANHUNT 2 (M) 19K

NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS (E) 227K
NDS FINAL FANTASY XII: REVENANT WINGS (E) 49K

PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE (T) 117K
PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE (T) 66K
PS3 ROCK BAND (T) 70K

PC CRYSIS (M) 87K
PC UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 (M) 34K

-----

Rough LTDs

360 HALO 3 - ~4.1 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED - ~1.1 million
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~860K

WII WII PLAY W/REMOTE - ~3.0 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~710K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION - ~500K
WII ZACK & WIKI QUEST FOR BARBARO'S TREASURE - ~35K

NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS ~710K

PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE - ~140K

PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.5 million

-----

Hardware LTD Japan:

WII - 4,060,486
PS3 - 1,467,083
360 - 482,568

Hardware LTD America:

360: 7,862,151
WII: 6,019,685
PS3: 2,446,649

carlnunz said:
Any word on the various other Wii Third Party games released this month?

Carnival Games?
Medal of Honor Heroes II?
Official Numbers for Rabbids 2?

Is the 19k manhunt 2 lifetime or does that not include 1st day/preorder sales (Same for ZW)?

Battalion Wars?

I'm interested in MOH numbers too.

Jammy

Banned
Wii's been performing quite better software-wise, especially in terms of third parties.

I remember when the GCN didn't even get Lego Star Wars until much longer after the PS2/Xbox games came out... now the Wii Complete version sells nearly 200,000 in one month. :lol

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games might have had a high bar set (4 million for DS and Wii) but this is the type of game that has the brand recognition and gameplay to make it sell for months and months. This is the number one selling game in the U.K. right now, and has some decent legs in Japan, too. Nearly 330,000 in such a heavily battered month of November in one region is amazing.

High School Musical... eh. I'm not going to applaud that. But that's the type of game that won't sell on any other system but the Wii, so there's going to be a sizeable market for it regardless.

Similarly, the market for Guitar Hero on Wii is huge. I was saying this before GH3 released, but the franchise just fits the Wii mantra like a glove. It's no wonder this game is selling amazingly well on the system. I can see this going double platinum just on this system alone.

RE: UC numbers are decent. The game didn't get any advertising and Capcom just kind of let it slip into retailers. For a light gun game, the worldwide numbers are probably around 400,000-ish now. That's very good, and is going to exceed Capcom's expectations just like RE4: Wii Edition did. Hopefully Wii owners are in for a treat with a RE2 remake or something in the future.

greepoman

Ok I want to know how much Sony has to pay people to print stuff like:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aTnhEyskdX1I&refer=us

or are people just that stupid.

They certainly got this "ps3 had the largest % increase from Oct to Nov" bs out there quick. What happens if you look at the real numbers:

Wii: 981,000 -519,000 = 462k
360: 770,000-366,000 = 404k
ps3: 466,000-120,000 = 346k

So the ps3 actually had the smallest increase which is kind of surprising considering the price drop. Imagine the numbers without it ;0

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
greepoman said:

They certainly got this "ps3 had the largest % increase from Oct to Nov" bs out there quick. What happens if you look at the real numbers:

So the ps3 actually had the smallest increase which is kind of surprising considering the price drop. Imagine the numbers without it ;0

Dude, everyone is running with this angle. I think it's not coming so much from the Sony PR as from that NPD interview.

A Price Cut Helps PlayStation 3 Close Gap With Rivals

The most notable change came from Sony Corp., a giant in the game industry that has so far stumbled this year with its PlayStation 3. The console was launched last November with a high $600 price tag, which combined with too few compelling game titles to limit sales for much of the year. Sony slashed the price to $399 in late October, which gave sales a shot in the arm. PS3 sales boomed to 466,000 units compared with only 121,000 units the month before, according to NPD data.

Other next generation consoles still moved more units, through the growth was not as pronounced. The Wii from Nintendo Co. moved 981,000 units for the month compared with 519,000 in October. The Xbox 360 from Microsoft Corp. sold 770,000 units, up from 366,000 units the previous month.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119764736685529589.html?mod=hps_us_whats_news

Almost makes the Wii and 360 sales look disappointing.

GhaleonEB

greepoman said:

Yeah that was posted yesterday some time. Looking at market share shifts is an interesting angle, but only as part of a broader analysis. It's one weird headline. And the side effect of the numbers you posted is that the actual unit margin between the PS3 and both the 360 and Wii grew in November - the PS3 fell even further behind, despite the price cut.

Mrbob

One thing I don't understand is how somehow Guitar Hero 3 somehow transcends Wii into a more casual system of choice than it did before. The difference in sales between GH3 on Wii and 360 are close (like 60K), yet the Wii version didn't have to compete with 300K Rock Band sales which occurred on X360. Not to mention the other new releases which came out in November, two million sellers and a 500K seller. Make no mistake about it though, Guitar Hero 3 is tearing up the charts on all platforms.

Arsenal

tak said:
I'm not really surprised by the UT3 numbers. It is a game that only a small subsection of the PC FPS crowd are into.

The 360 has killed the PC FPS market.

Seriously - why dump that much money into a PC when the 360 is delivering multiple AAA titles per year with a huge online community to back them up?

Arsenal

HK-47 said:
Blue Dragon wasnt gonna succeed in the west even if it got promotion, being modelled on DQ style play. The only JRPGs that really sell in the west are FF, KH, Pokemon, and Mario RPGs, and maybe Golden Sun on the GBA...and 360 has access to none of those. They would have to do it through new IPs, which will be very tough.

Hopefully they will at least make some attempts to market Lost Odyssey

Mrbob

I don't think it has killed it, but I do think some damage has been done.

I grew up on PC FPS games, and I feel myself starting to fall prey to some console-itis in gaming. Where I would almost rather play a FPS with a gamepad on a big screen tv versus a computer monitor. I'm still waiting for a better console solution for playing FPS games than dual analog, but I've griped about this for years now. :D Here is hoping MS comes up with something cool with the next xbox.

Hellraizer said:
JRPGs could do well too if they promote them right. Did Blue Dragon got any promotion in the west?

Blue Dragon not so much, but I know Eternal Sonata got a big TV push, and still sold like shit :(.

However I believe that if Lost Oddysey gets decent advertising, it could do very well.

greepoman

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah that was posted yesterday some time. Looking at market share shifts is an interesting angle, but only as part of a broader analysis. It's one weird headline. And the side effect of the numbers you posted is that the actual unit margin between the PS3 and both the 360 and Wii grew in November - the PS3 fell even further behind, despite the price cut.

Lol good point, I guess "The ps3 is losing ground at a slower rate" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

greepoman

Arsenal said:

Seriously - why dump that much money into a PC when the 360 is delivering multiple AAA titles per year with a huge online community to back them up?

I think more of the blame is on World of Warcraft and other MMORPGs. People just pay their 15$ a month and never buy any other games....I know that happened to me for over a year ;)

RJT

Mrbob said:

I grew up on PC FPS games, and I feel myself starting to fall prey to some console-itis in gaming. Where I would almost rather play a FPS with a gamepad on a big screen tv versus a computer monitor. I'm still waiting for a better console solution for playing FPS games than dual analog, but I've griped about this for years now. :D Here is hoping MS comes up with something cool with the next xbox.
You, sir, have just described the Wiimote. It's safer to ask Nintendo to have decent hardware on the next wii. Then again, maybe not...

Mrbob

I finished MP3 on Wii, and while the Wiimote is more accurate it still feels off. The main reason a mouse works so well is that you can lay it on the desk to give yourself some grounding. Holding the wiimote in the air makes slight stutters even if you keep your wrist relatively straight. It works OK, but isn't my desired solution. I don't want to derail this thread though.

RJT

Mrbob said:
I finished MP3 on Wii, and while the Wiimote is more accurate it still feels off. The main reason a mouse works so well is that you can lay it on the desk to give yourself some grounding. Holding the wiimote in the air makes slight stutters even if you keep your wrist relatively straight. It works OK, but isn't my desired solution. I don't want to derail this thread though.

Mouse and nunchuck, then :)

Anyways, back to sales.

gkryhewy

GhaleonEB said:

I don't think PS3 has outsold Wii or 360 in a single month since launch. Hard to make up ground when the gap keeps widening.

FIREBABY

Raw64life said:
Hardware LTD Japan:

WII - 4,060,486
PS3 - 1,467,083
360 - 482,568

Hardware LTD America:

360: 7,862,151
WII: 6,019,685
PS3: 2,446,649

If this is accurate, the PS3 is in worst trouble in America than 360 is in Japan. Right? And the charts are really interesting. But one question. Why combine PS360 numbers against Wii?

Xeke

Banned
Mrbob said:

Wiimote.

Durante

FIREBABY said:
But one question. Why combine PS360 numbers against Wii?
I'd guess it's because if you are a 3rd party developer looking to make a console game, you can create either a PS360(PC?) title or a Wii
PS2
title

greepoman

Durante said:
I'd guess it's because if you are a 3rd party developer looking to make a console game, you can create either a PS360(PC?) title or a Wii
PS2
title

That doesn't seem right...I would guess it's because it shows 'casual' vs 'hardcore'.

Jokeropia

Mrbob said:
I suggest resting your hand on your lap or a pillow or something. No need to hold it in midair when all you have to move is your wrist.

let's not forget that many xbox360 users have multiple 360s because many are buying the arcade/core for backups. So MS shouldn't be too proud for their numbers
Yeah, "Many" as in "There are many Sony Hardcore fans that buy the console mostly for the 1st Party exclusives", probably...

donny2112

hooijdonk17 said:
Is it me or are the scales on this graph totally off?.. The sales numbers for the last month look totally screwed..

Notice the label on the Y-axis.

Using average weekly sales to graph the monthly values means you can directly compare 4-week and 5-week months. It also allows a more even comparison to Japanese figures which come in on a weekly basis.

FIREBABY said:
And the charts are really interesting. But one question. Why combine PS360 numbers against Wii?

People have asked for it before. Same reason I posted the worldwide graph with synched launch dates. People have asked how the PS3 is doing compared to the 360 at the same point in its life.

chemicals

yeah.. wow.. I didn't understand the wild sales for COD2 at the 360 launch.. and now I again feel ambushed by these insane COD4 sales. Wild.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Jokeropia said:
I suggest resting your hand on your lap or a pillow or something. No need to hold it in midair when all you have to move is your wrist.

We're still talking about video games, right?

it's funny sometimes to see ppl with no background in business at all trying to make strong comments on reports

imo:
who gives a shit, if you have fun with your conole(s), that's all it matter
unless you have stocks invested in these companies
haha, though i hate myself every moment for not having faith in the wii last year....

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
hooijdonk17 said:
Is it me or are the scales on this graph totally off?.. The sales numbers for the last month look totally screwed..

Turn your head 90 degrees to the left and read what the Y-axis of the graph means. (
WEEKLY
)

coralfangs said:
it's funny sometimes to see ppl with no background in business at all trying to make strong comments on reports

imo:
who gives a shit, if you have fun with your conole(s), that's all it matter
unless you have stocks invested in these companies
haha, though i hate myself every moment for not having faith in the wii last year....

Don't post in the thread if you don't care about sales.

Arsenal said:

A lot of people still prefer Mouse and Keyboard.

The reason I didn't pick up UTIII, as a PC gamer, is that I've already played UT2004.

Burnst

hooijdonk17 said:
I love the graphs, but doing it weekly makes it look very strange. It doesn't really show december, where 360 did over 1m last year I think?

Any number for MOH2 Wii?

Mrbob

One thing is for sure after NOv 07 NPD.

Take Two has to be salivating at seeing not only CoD4 sell 1.5 million in a month (which is the typical starting month sales for a GTA PS2 game), but also seeing Assassins Creed sell another million and Mass Effect 500K on top of this. It looks like they will be able to achieve PS2 level sell through on the X360 platform.

Top Bottom