• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
squicken said:
I like a casual versus hardcore definition as the next guy, but I'm pretty sure the Demon's Souls crowd would be frustrated by Madden about as fast as the Madden crowd would be frustrated by Demon's Souls.
Well yes, people tend to get frustrated if you force them to play a game they don't care about it.

Bishman

It sucks GAF... but as I get older... I am getting less hardcore.

Uncharted 2 is an amazing experience. I'm having a blast now that I am done with the semester and finals.

Is UC2 considered casual or hardcore?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Uncharted 2 is....?

I dunno. :/

It is aimed at core (traditional?) gamers.

It is definitely not niche.. TPS are pretty popular these days...

Games are not hardcore or casual. Gamers can be more hardcore or less hardcore about their gaming habits though....

If the only games you bought this year are KZ2, UC2, and MW2 I would have a hard time calling you a hardcore gamer... :/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
grandjedi6 said:
Well yes, people tend to get frustrated if you force them to play a game they don't care about it.
I watch football every week and have finished Demon's Souls. I can't understand Madden. It has nothing to do with a lack of interest. Madden is just as complicated as some of those RTSes they play in Soviet bloc countries.

Bishman

amtentori said:
Uncharted 2 is....?

I dunno. :/

It is aimed at core (traditional?) gamers.

It is definitely not niche.. TPS are pretty popular these days...

Games are not hardcore or casual. Gamers can be more hardcore or less hardcore about their gaming habits though....

If the only games you bought this year are KZ2, UC2, and MW2 I would have a hard time calling you a hardcore gamer... :/
I only bought Resident Evil 5, UFC Undisputed, Uncharted 2, Mirror's Edge. and got Fallout 3 as a gift from a friend.

Y2Kev said:
I watch football every week and have finished Demon's Souls. I can't understand Madden. It has nothing to do with a lack of interest. Madden is just as complicated as some of those RTSes they play in Soviet bloc countries.

Your interest is in football, though, not in playing a game that somewhat approximates football.

Firestorm

squicken said:
I like a casual versus hardcore definition as the next guy, but I'm pretty sure the Demon's Souls crowd would be frustrated by Madden about as fast as the Madden crowd would be frustrated by Demon's Souls.
I don't see what that has to do with anything... Personally, I think I'd be frustrated by both!

Bishman said:

Uncharted 2 is an amazing experience. I'm having a blast now that I am done with the semester and finals.

Mainstream by my definition!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jim-jam bongs said:
Your interest is in football, though, not in playing a game that somewhat approximates football.
Well, not really. I did buy Madden. I own multiple versions of Madden! I just find them very confusing and difficult to play unless you really, really know football and are like... ambidextrous.

AniHawk

Firestorm said:
I don't see what that has to do with anything... Personally, I think I'd be frustrated by both!

Mainstream by my definition!

Manstream is my definition!

Get it?

It's a play on "mainstream."

Shurs

Any numbers on Episodes from Liberty City? According to some people, pre-release, it was going to do big sales at retail.

Cheech

Bishman said:

It's casual as shit.

UC2 is completely linear, is easy to complete even at higher difficulties, and takes only a few evenings at most to wring dry of entertainment value.

Demon's Souls is hardcore. UC2 is the PS3 equivalent of Mario Party.

jmdajr

Cheech said:
It's casual as shit.

UC2 is completely linear, is easy to complete even at higher difficulties, and takes only a few evenings at most to wring dry of entertainment value.

If you say so. A casual player couldn't finish it in my opinion.

Cheech

jmdajr said:

Like the first Uncharted, I went through both games with zero frustration. Just autopiloted the entire way through, taking in the scenery.

They're good games, but not at all difficult or hard to grasp, and therefore casual. IMO.

Curufinwe

I think you mean Halo, which also has a single-player campaign that can be run thru in a few nights on Normal.

Comparing Uncharted to Mario Party is just trolling.

Core and casual are just marketing terms used to define different segments.

The casual segment as it is defined now didn't exist 5 years ago. 5 years ago Madden and GTA were casual games. Wii changed everything.

There is nothing hardcore about Madden lol. But, a core gamer as it is defined now is that gamer who buys GTA, Madden, Modern Warfare...

Cheech said:
It's casual as shit.

Yes and no. I would say yes, games like Demons Souls are for a hardcore, niche market (that, proudly was big enough to get the game into top 10 debut). UC2 is a PS3 core title, the equivalent of Gears of War on 360 (though, not as big a hit with the core as Gears was). The Mario Party equivalent on PS3 would be, well there isn't one :/. The Mario Party equivalent on 360 is Viva Pinata Party animals :lol

Nintendo owns redefined the new casual segment, MS and Sony are making strives to capture that segment this year (Natal + Gem).

Cheech said:
It's casual as shit.

My friend is currently struggling through the sp of Uncharted 2. Of course, he's also struggling through the training missions in MW2, acts as a total bullet sponge for his online friends when playing spec ops, couldn't finish COD4, and couldn't get to the first boss in MGS4, so I'd say he's about as casual a gamer as they come even if he has "discerning taste" (he uses Gamepro reviews as buying guides).

A casual game would be something like easy mode in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, or the aforementioned Mario Party, where someone completely bereft of gaming experience or talent could immediately pick it up and have some success.

jim-jam bongs said:
I'm an NFL fanatic and I could care less about Madden games.
I used to play the Madden games for years just to fantasize my N.E. Patriots winning a Super Bowl. Now that they won 3 I don't have to fantasize about it anymore.:D

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
jmdajr said:
Then Naughty Dog did a poor job during development, because there is nothing to stop a game like Uncharted 2 from being playable by almost anyone giving a decent difficulty curve. Most casual games (from tetris to mario galaxy), after you get to a certain point, are harder than the hardest parts of something like Modern Warfare on regular, but the difficulty curve allows almost anyone to play and begin to pick up the basic mechanics, meaning by the time the player reaches the more difficult parts, they have often learned the skills to deal with them.

LCfiner

Since we're all into ridiculous gamer type labels here...

there's two types of casuals:

1. Bro- casual or "brahsuals" who play modern warfare, halo, madden, gta, etc

2. true-casuals or "trusuals" People who can't figure out how to look around with one analog stick and move with another. There are A LOT of people like that and they enjoy a bunch of games that, generally, don't demand camera control.

Please note that these labels are not to be taken seriously

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
LCfiner said:

2. true-casuals or "trusuals" People who can't figure out how to look around with one analog stick and love with another. There are A LOT of people like that and they enjoy a bunch of games that, generally, don't demand camera control.

2. true-casuals or "trusuals" or PCmasteraceals People who can't figure out how to look around with one analog stick and love with another.

LCfiner said:

2. true-casuals or "trusuals" People who can't figure out how to look around with one analog stick and love with another. There are A LOT of people like that and they enjoy a bunch of games that, generally, don't demand camera control.

I can get behind these.

Firestorm said:
Here's my definition!

Casual: Easy to pick up, understand, and play. Often hard to master. This includes games like Bejeweled, Peggle, Farmville, and just about anything you find on AddictingGames or Facebook

Mainstream: High profile games with usually heavy marketing aimed at a broad audience. Usually not too hard to get into, but can be a barrier for those not accustomed to playing video games. Games here include Super Mario Galaxy, Call of Duty 72, Halo, and God of War.

Hardcore: Often hard to get into, complex game mechanics that are not understood at quick glance, require a deeper understanding of video games to play. Also a lot of exposure to video games to even find out about. This would include Demon's Souls, Anno, and any of the -sport- Manager games.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

This is dead on balls accurate.

Zizbuka said:
NPD needs to start tracking X360 failures. Guess there were lots in October? :D

You are about a week late with this troll. Once NPD threads mature they usually get hung up on some weird side topic that has nothing to do with NPD until they finally die and are never seen again.

jorma

is now taking requests
LCfiner said:

2. true-casuals or "trusuals" People who can't figure out how to look around with one analog stick and love with another.
There are A LOT of people like that and they enjoy a bunch of games that, generally, don't demand camera control.

I use a different set of tools altoghether for my loving. Would this make me hardcore? :p

Turk

I thought this would make a funny NPD gif, so I gave it a shot.

vxosd1.gif

Turk said:
I thought this would make a funny NPD gif, so I gave it a shot.

vxosd1.gif

Good job!! :lol :lol :lol Pretty good stuff.

And by the way, I think Uncharted, Halo and etc are all hardcore games but with a much broader appeal than say, demon's souls. It's hard to categorize :/

boiled goose

good with gravy
Bishman said:
I only bought Resident Evil 5, UFC Undisputed, Uncharted 2, Mirror's Edge. and got Fallout 3 as a gift from a friend.

and?

Sounds like your habits fall in line with the maintream core gamer. (casual traditional gamer type)

unless you rent a lot of games or something you are most definitely a casual.

do you find that offensive?

You know what I think needs to be done? More games need to have an easier mode to make them more accessible. And I dun mean to just increase/decrease stats; some games can't be made easy enough by that, such as a platformer that has a too-challenging jump or maze or something.

Haunted

A Link to the Snitch said:
You know what I think needs to be done? More games need to have an easier mode to make them more accessible. And I dun mean to just increase/decrease stats; some games can't be made easy enough by that, such as a platformer that has a too-challenging jump or maze or something.
2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

But if you are, I agree. Optional easy modes that remove the need for more complex button input are a good idea, for example. Bayonetta experiments with that, and I think it's a great idea (just not the most inviting game to do so).

jax (old)

Banned
Cheech said:
It's casual as shit.

:lol :lol :lol

puhlease

tass0 said:
So apparently PS3 sold quite a bit more than Xbox in Nov WW?

A) See thread title

B) The NPD makes it clear their numbers are just estimates. I hold them to be the gold standard when it comes to sales tracking relative to its peers in the world though there are some passble European trackers. However, places that pretend to proclaim that they can monitor worldwide sales are just blowing hot air.

dolemite said:
Can you support this statement with numbers? Maybe from another site?

:lol

JGS

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:

I think Nintendo is supposed to have this covered soon.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
tass0 said:
So apparently PS3 sold quite a bit more than Xbox in Nov WW?
tass0 said:
Are the numbers for sales worldwide or just in USA? I remember reading they sold 1 million in 1 week in September...

tass0 said:
Uncharted 2 bumped PS3 sales up 25%, that's a system seller...

tass0 said:
according to VGch4rtz(yes, i know) PS3 sales are up 104% outselling the 360 and Wii in America

20at0l2.png

tass0 - stealthily providing us with vg chartz data since 2009

Top Bottom