• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

gioGAF

As long as the studio and publisher are happy, I am too as a fan of DA and Bioware in general. You guys are starting to rack up GOTY awards and that $40 sale made you shoot up the Amazon charts, so hopefully you're well past 1 million when santa comes :)
Yeah, hope the game does well. I will join the party once you release the GOTY/Complete edition :)

I think it was definitely worth it for MS to take a loss on hardware sales now to bolster their numbers in the US. Console sales have a snow ball effect because of the associated subscriptions. Even though MS was doing okay, the further behind Sony they lagged, the more they would miss out on that subscription money.

So it really depends on what your frame of reference is here. ... Are you gauging success relative to other huge, successful multinational corporations like Google, Microsoft or GE? Then simply making a modest profit isn't a failure, but it's not a huge success, either.
Using those companies would be a particularly perverse frame of reference. They represent a very, very, very tiny sliver of the business landscape. It's like saying that every non-world-record athlete isn't a huge success, or every galaxy isn't a huge object. That is, it's true from a certain perspective...but it's nearly meaningless to regular discourse.

This is made more apparent by the fact that I could simply pick the reference frame of Apple, and then suddenly even Google/Microsoft/GE aren't failures, but they aren't huge successes, either.

Elandyll

Banned
Looks like SCEA wants to come back in the (Amazon) race in December?

The Gamestop deal of earlier this month (free Camera included) can now be found there, except a little better (you can pick your main game among 4):

Looks like it is for one day only though...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QU6V250/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In short:

PS4 + Digital TLOU + choice of 1 "recent" game (Digital, between Far Cry 4/ Destiny/ NBA2k15/ LBP3) + Camera = $399

Guymelef

The Gamestop deal of earlier this month (free Camera included) can now be found there, except a little better (you can pick your main game among 4):

In short:

PS4 + Digital TLOU + choice of 1 "recent" game (Digital, between Far Cry 4/ Destiny/ NBA2k15/ LBP3) + Camera = $399

Really good bundle.

In short:

Damn solid deal!

Hey guys, wanted to follow up about this topic (sorry if this point was already raised):

I just got access to November NPD data and amusingly it lists DAI as # 10 (because it groups the two Pokémon games together). So a lot of doom and gloom and "DAI bombed" rhetoric could have been avoided (frankly I consider 3DS games so different from us I don't see them as chart competitors but that's just like..my opinion).

Also (I can't give numbers) the delta between most of the top 5-6 games on the chart is quite small. Then you factor in the date the game was released (example: Unity, MCC had an extra week of sales), price promotions and sales for Black Friday (DAI did not go on sale) and we sold very well - at full price. I wish the whole story had been told when the chart was published.

So anyway - DAI was a "strong # 11" in November :) It did not "bomb". I'd hate for people to think that.
Thats good to know. My favorite game this year.

If MS didn't care about being number one their XB1 sale wouldn't directly correspond with NPD dates.

For Dec NPD I think Sony is making a big mistake pushing Destiny bundles still instead of getting more GTA bundle out there especially since they aren't dropping the price on it. Maybe they will do another round of them right before Christmas but it doesn't look like it. Also the bundle they are pusing now is worthless if they aren't going to actually advertise it.
I dunno; Destiny's at #1 and 2 on Amazon right now and standalone PS4 is at #17; was at #16 earlier today but not a massive drop.

Destiny might do big this month and I think the systems will be a lot closer. Close enough to redeem that CBOAT post tho? Time will tell x3.

I dunno; Destiny's at #1 and 2 on Amazon right now and standalone PS4 is at #17; was at #16 earlier today but not a massive drop.

Destiny might do big this month and I think the systems will be a lot closer. Close enough to redeem that CBOAT post tho? Time will tell x3.

That new PS4 bundle isn't included in the charts yet, so it should jump up a little bit. The real question is when the monthly chart for december will update (it's outdated by over a week now).

Opiate

Using those companies would be a particularly perverse frame of reference. They represent a very, very, very tiny sliver of the business landscape. It's like saying that every non-world-record athlete isn't a huge success, or every galaxy isn't a huge object. That is, it's true from a certain perspective...but it's nearly meaningless to regular discourse.

This is made more apparent by the fact that I could simply pick the reference frame of Apple, and then suddenly even Google/Microsoft/GE aren't failures, but they aren't huge successes, either.

Just a while ago (as in less than a decade ago), Sony's market capitalization was larger than literally every one of those save Microsoft. Saying that the comparison is perverse implicitly admits that Sony's last decade has been a disaster -- including, I might add, in the gaming sector (they've lost billions in the gaming sector in that time frame, and have only recently returned to modest profitability again).

One could make a similar argument that comparing Sony's gaming segment to segments which are bleeding money and dying is unreasonable; almost everything looks good compared to Sony's TV and mobile segments. If your company isn't in the process of dying, then congratulations! You're doing pretty well compared to Sony's TV segment.

gtj1092

That new PS4 bundle isn't included in the charts yet, so it should jump up a little bit. The real question is when the monthly chart for december will update (it's outdated by over a week now).

Why doesn't Amazon list the bundle under a different name or show anything to let you know its a bundle? I would never know these bundles were available if not for threads like these. The camera bundle is better than the black Friday bundle but I feel the lack of distinct boxing or naming isn't doing it any favors in sales.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Destiny is the goldbox deal of the Day (50% off). It's kind of irrelevant. AC Unity was yesterday, and that's why it's so high as well.

Why doesn't Amazon list the bundle under a different name or show anything to let you know its a bundle? I would never know these bundles were available if not for threads like these. The camera bundle is better than the black Friday bundle but I feel the lack of distinct boxing or naming isn't doing it any favors in sales.

Looks like they're just not promoting it properly yet.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Thats good to know. My favorite game this year.

I've already talked about how successful DAI was several times in this thread.

In half the reporting time (2 weeks, vs 4 for DAO and DA2), DAI sold more units via a shrinking retail channel than both DAO and DA2. Not to mention whatever they did in digital on top of that, it's likely well into 600k range of sell through.

Not to mention, 10 full metacritic points higher for DAI than DA2.

Unquestionably a good launch.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is that deal just Amazon only? What other deals are there?

There are a few current deals. Some better than others. Everywhere has the PS4 + pick one game so not listing those.

Amazon - PS4 + TLOU + Pick one game + Camera $399.99
Best Buy - PS4 Destiny Bundle (+KILL ZONE Shadowfall download + 22 Jump Street lol) $399.99
Target - Sony PlayStation 4 Console w/ 1 Select PS4 Game or GTAV Bundle + $20 PSN Code $340. Requires Cartwheel coupon.
Walmart - PlayStation 4 Console w/ 1 Select PS4 Digital Game + $50 Walmart Gift Card $399 (Expired)

I think some of these might have $10 PSN already included in the box as well. Probably just the codes that were put in there at launch? (i.e. $10 PSN, trial for PS+ and Music Unlimited?)

Javin98

Banned
There are a few current deals. Some better than others. Everywhere has the PS4 + pick one game so not listing those.

Best Buy - PS4 Destiny Bundle (+KILL ZONE Shadowfall download + 22 Jump Street lol) $399.99
Target - Sony PlayStation 4 Console w/ 1 Select PS4 Game or GTAV Bundle + $20 PSN Code $340. Requires Cartwheel coupon.
Walmart - PlayStation 4 Console w/ 1 Select PS4 Digital Game + $50 Walmart Gift Card $399 (Expired)

I think some of these might have $10 PSN already included in the box as well. Probably just the codes that were put in there at launch? (i.e. $10 PSN, trial for PS+ and Music Unlimited?)
Those are some really nice deals ;)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I've already talked about how successful DAI was several times in this thread.

In half the reporting time (2 weeks, vs 4 for DAO and DA2), DAI sold more units via a shrinking retail channel than both DAO and DA2. Not to mention whatever they did in digital on top of that, it's likely well into 600k range of sell through.

Not to mention, 10 full metacritic points higher for DAI than DA2.

Unquestionably a good launch.

Those are some pretty nice results then =). Good to see a quality game being rewarded.

So Smash probably is the 4th best selling game on Wii U in the US after its first month of sales? (behind NSMBU, MK8 & 3D World - which are now all bundled)? Hey, maybe 3D World will finally hit 1M in the US now that it's bundled =).

Elandyll

Banned
Gamestop had the camera included with Gta / tlou bundle at $399, and a bunch of other deals for the whole first week and a half of December (online it showed no less than 5 PS4 skus well ahead of any XB1 Sku, including ranks 1 and 2 in bestsellers for several days).
Currently Target has a 15% off PS4 + $20 psn card free + choice of free game on their cartwheel app.

I doubt it, honestly. I think MS will enjoy a temporary momentum, until January at least.

Yeah, the one thing is that might clarify to Microsoft why they need to stick with $350 going forward. The PS4 deal is good, but it still costs more money. How many of those recent digital games can be had for $30 right now?

Actually, Microsoft just added a Holiday Sales section to their dashboard with a ton of $30 games. And you can find better deals via Amazon, at the very least.

I won't be surprised if we see some $330 deals like the Black Friday stuff out of Microsoft. They really want to won this holiday season, or make Sony bleed if they want to compete.

Elios83

PS4 sits 9th right behind xb1 at 8th on Amazon list, so they've pretty much equalized in sales rate.

That seems to be the hourly chart. It simply means that the new deal on Amazon is already having a strong effect, probably PS4 will come out on top tomorrow as more people get to know about the deal. But the promotion has to last long enough (at least a week) to have an impact on their monthly sales.

Splinter

I just bought a PS4 Saturday at Target, is there anyway I could use the coupon to get 15% refunded? Do they have any retroactive sale policy?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I just bought a PS4 Saturday at Target, is there anyway I could use the coupon to get 15% refunded? Do they have any retroactive sale policy?

i think some of these retailers can do some type of return re-buy? worth a shot if its going to net you substantial savings.

border

Sony has at least tried to follow up their November shortcomings with some nice deals at online websites.

That said, I imagine that most major holiday purchases ($300++) happen over Black Friday, and they've already lost that battle.

gtj1092

Sony has at least tried to follow up their November shortcomings with some nice deals at online websites.

That said, I imagine that most major holiday purchases ($300++) happen over Black Friday, and they've already lost that battle.

Maybe the most sales for an individual day but December sales are usually greater than November sales.

Also the Ps4 bundle is moving on up now that they show in the thumbnail what comes with it.

I don't think Sony is too worried overall. Whenever they match the XB1 bundles they sale more even at a higher price and there doesn't seem to be an erosion of Ps4 popularity just increase in XB1 popularity.

From what I recall reading, while Black Friday is a very big shopping day, the notion that it's the biggest shopping day of the year is something of a myth and this actually falls on the last Saturday before Christmas i.e. this coming Saturday.

Welfare

From what I recall reading, while Black Friday is a very big shopping day, the notion that it's the biggest shopping day of the year is something of a myth and this actually falls on the last Saturday before Christmas i.e. this coming Saturday.

Wouldn't be surprised. Gotta get those consoles under the Christmas tree.

Elandyll

Banned
It's at #8 now tho. Steadily climbing it looks like.
Now #4, and ahead of the XB1 for the first time since early Nov on the hourly chart (trending).

This being said, the free camera deal expired at midnight, so we might see it drop right back.

The free TLOU deal on top of the 1 game choice will remain valid until Dec 28th though, so we'll see if that alone can keep some momentum.

Edit: how very interesting... The day the deal of the camera expires on Amazon, it's back up at Gamestop from Dec 17th until Dec 24th...

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-PS4FG,28zu0

Javin98

Banned
Oh god, not again....

No, MS will win December, too.

Guess SCEA finally reacted now, because they're getting their ass kicked again, like last month.
I was inclined to believe MS would take December too at first after looking at the ~380K sales gap this month. But with the solid PS4 bundles, I'm now unsure. Even if XBO wins again, I'm confident the gap will be smaller than in November. Just my two cents of course :)

gtj1092

Now #4, and ahead of the XB1 for the first time since early Nov on the hourly chart (trending).

This being said, the free camera deal expired at midnight, so we might see it drop right back.

The free TLOU deal on top of the 1 game choice will remain valid until Dec 28th though, so we'll see if that alone can keep some momentum.

It was number one black friday and most of the following Saturday until it sold out. Also I wonder why they changed the thumbnail back to the basic Ps4 and no mention of the bundled games. Last night they put a thumbnail showing the games that come with the bundle. Seems counter intuitive.

Javin98

Banned

Edit: how very interesting... The day the deal of the camera expires on Amazon, it's back up at Gamestop until Dec 24th...
Very interesting indeed. Now we wait and see if consumers are actually interested in the free camera(better value) or is the 1 game+TLOU bundle enough to keep the momentum until Christmas.

benny lava

Neo Member
That monthly ranking hasn't been updated, iirc. Makes sense since Amazon was one of the worst places to buy a PS4 in early December due to the lack of bundles initially

It seems to me like whether or not Amazon themselves has the PS4 in stock is a BIG driver of its sales ranking on their site. The great pricing on the Xbox One drove it way up the charts for sure, but whenever PS4 was only available through 'Amazon sellers' it plummeted on the hourly charts. This morning it is back up to number 4 on the hourly chart - with Amazon as the seller. Microsoft did a better job in November and early December, with Amazon at least, of keeping their bundles in stock. That plus aggressive discounting is a winning strategy for charting on Amazon.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Guess SCEA finally reacted now, because they're getting their ass kicked again, like last month.

I don't know if SCEA has a need to feel like they're having their ass kicked. It's more like in Heartbreak Ridge, where Clint Eastwood takes his squad for a run, and at some point the squad tries to show him off. So they exhaust themselves by making a mad sprint past him, but Clint just continues on a steady pace. And when he catches the men, all panting, he just goes on running.

So yeah, MS has December in a bag. But will they have what it takes to push on in January?

Javin98

Banned
It seems to me like whether or not Amazon themselves has the PS4 in stock is a BIG driver of its sales ranking on their site. The great pricing on the Xbox One drove it way up the charts for sure, but whenever PS4 was only available through 'Amazon sellers' it plummeted on the hourly charts. This morning it is back up to number 4 on the hourly chart - with Amazon as the seller. Microsoft did a better job in November and early December, with Amazon at least, of keeping their bundles in stock. That plus aggressive discounting is a winning strategy for charting on Amazon.
We can only hope Sony learnt from their mistake with the GTA 5 bundle and allocate more stocks to Amazon this month to keep sales up

Top Bottom