• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Lo-Volt

Gamer @ Heart said:
That Guitar hero Wii number will be the talk of the town.
More than i thought it would do.

Indeed, GH3 had a great month on all its versions. I'm sure Activision will be pleased at its performance on all the systems that were charted here today. Over a million copies, and most of them seem to have been with that guitar addition.

B-Ri

Visualante said:
Sony spin that wheel bitch, spin it good. Yeaaaah.

100k in a week, giggity giggity gig-uh-dee.

wow you really cant read can you? Read the original article about the sales increase, they arent reflected in this.

Dez

What a month for Zelda Phantom Hourglass. The game actually sold more in its second month than its first, which is very odd for a hardcore franchise - they're usually top heavy, even if there was only a week worth of sales last month.

LTD: 486.8k

GhaleonEB

Wii sales are the second highest October ever. Just a insane. 0_0

360 sales drop 13%, not bad after the spike from last month. VERY well positioned going into the holidays, up 150k from last year. (and more than double the Xbox at the same point in its lifecycle.)

PS3 - Hmmm. November had better be H-U-G-E for them.

Software:

Halo 3 did about what I expected. Big drop, but still #1. It's a huge debut month for any other game. It's going to sell another 1.5m this year.

No GHIII for PS3 is worrying.

Gonna take some time to digest the rest. Incredible month, Nintendo is really running away with it.

Talamius

Bebpo said:
Sucks for Insomniac. Wonder if Uncharted and MGS4 are looking at similar fates.

Guitar Hero 3 PS3 couldn't break the top 10. Sadly enough, I don't think Uncharted has a chance in hell.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Hopefully for GOTY Galaxy.

Also wow @ Ratchet and GH3 PS3...
Well, if Galaxy sells a million units in the next NPD, I'll eat my words. I have no problem with people buying a Wii for Galaxy, or Brawl, or Metroid Prime 3, or whatever.

I really hate the masses who are buying Wiis for Mario Party 8 and Rayman Raving Rabbids.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
No surprise PS3 sales suck. Everyone held off for the announced price-drop. Sony was beyond stupid to have actually given a time frame for the price-drop. They should've just enforced it immediately by shipping the 40GB. Morans.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
PS3 did quite well for the month actually... prior to a price cut in a 4 week month selling more than 100k... In the predictions thread I said it´d sell 70 or 80k... :lol:

Davidion

I'd love to see what Galaxy pulls this month. Also, the PS2 GHIII SKU sans guitars sales is an interesting gauge of the sales of the game to old fans.

Any chance for further software sales numbers? Wouldn't mind seeing how the rest of the lineup rounded out.

The PS2 version did rule all, unless the nonguitar version of GH3 for 360 fell just outside the top 10. I'd like to see combined numbers for all 4 systems. The Wii version is the only one where we know the complete number, for obvious reasons.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dez said:
What a month for Zelda Phantom Hourglass. The game actually sold more in its second month than its first, which is very odd for a hardcore franchise - they're usually top heavy, even if there was only a week worth of sales last month.

LTD: 486.8k
People saw the free stylus and wanted one too.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So someone (Sonycowboy/Joshua?) clairfy, please. Was this including the first few days or whatever of PS3 sales from the price drop?

justjohn

poor poor uncharted. i see a similar fate for it. i hate ps3 owners right now. why are these mutherfuckers not buying the games. the fuck are doing with the console? humping it every night :lol

out of the 1.4 mill reported for all GH3, there is ~240K left for PS3 and 360 Solus version, so they both must have sold around 120K, as any higher and they would have charted!??

Check my figures someone!

ggnoobIGN said:
PS2GH3 outsold 360s...

The placement of the SKUs is interesting though. If more people bought the guitar bundle, it means those are probably newer 360 users. The standalone PS2 version was selling to an enormous installed base which already had a guitar. It's better news for the 360 that it sold the most guitar bundles.

Pachael

Dance everybody for the Wiidomination

Activision got it right by putting GH3 on Wii and getting more sales. Why shouldn't RB be on Wii too?

justjohn said:
poor poor uncharted. i see a similar fate for it. i hate ps3 owners right now. why are these mutherfuckers not buying the games. the fuck are doing with the console? humping it every night :lol
Uncharted will be fine, assuming the ads are good, and I can see Ratchet having some legs, and enjoying strong word of mouth sales.

Bebpo

Banned
Is PS3 software selling worse than PSP software yet?

Green Shinobi said:
Uncharted will be fine, assuming the ads are good, and I can see Ratchet having some legs, and enjoying strong word of mouth sales.

I dunno. I mean Ratchet had a DEMO that had amazing graphics and good gameplay and should have driven PS3 owners to buy it....but bomba.

Halo 3 can't propel 360's sales past the Wii's sales in it's first full month on store shelves? In a month when the Wii was supply-constrained AND had absolutely NO big-time releases? That doesn't look good for 360 in America.

Kosma

Banned
Im starting to think that buying the PS3 may not have been the smartest move if I want to keep playing all the games on it in 2 years. If a flagship title cant break the top 10...it reminds me of Sega in the late days. Great software, but absymal sales.

Hope that Europe really pulls through and saves this machine.

No6

ggnoobIGN said:
Going into the holidays? Not really.
Yeah really. Almost all titles see the majority of sales within the first few days. Titles released in October now have to compete with the November meatgrinder. R&C will not suddenly spike up in sales, although it might be steady at whatever (poor) number it was at in October due to the increased PS3 sales.

Bishman

HW Results

Wii 519K
Nintendo DS 458K
Xbox 360 366K
PSP 286K
PlayStation 2 184K
PlayStation 3 121K

Nintendo?! How do you guys do it? 519k?! That is a lot of Wiis! I honestly can not figure out how the Wii is selling so damn good. I mean is the demand really that high?

DS is a beast.

Bad numbers for the PS3. I thought the price cut would help. Maybe we see a bigger boost next month NPD.

Top 10 SW
Rank # Units
360 HALO 3 * MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 1 433.8K
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 2 383.2K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 3 286.3K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 271.1K
NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS NINTENDO OF AMERICA SEP 2007 EVERYONE (E) 5 262.8K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 6 239.7K
360 HALF LIFE 2: EPISODE 2 THE ORANGE BOX ELECTRONIC ARTS OCT 2007 MATURE (M) 7 238.4K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 8 231.7K
PS2 FIFA SOCCER 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS OCT 2007 EVERYONE (E) 9 129.7K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA AUG 2007 EVERYONE (E) 10 116.9K

Nice numbers for Halo. And really nice numbers for GH on Wii. Casuals who love Wii Sports will translate well to GH. What is surprising though, you would think PS2 version would outsell both the 360 and the Wii.

I really see Mario Galaxy selling over a million copies this month. It sold out at all the TRU I visit and Best Buy. Anecdotal evidence but same thing from many people across the web.

Developers need to look at this and get with the fucking program. Bring your third parties games to the Wii. And good games damn it.

Wii, that's... wow. That's the most they've sold per-week all year, by a hefty margin. I thought Pachter might've been going overboard with his 450K call, but not even that got close.

Average weeks ownership
Wii: 26.2 weeks
PS3: 31.8 weeks
X360: 50.5 weeks

meaning the average owner got theirs
Wii: May 4, 2007
PS3: March 26, 2007
X360: November 15, 2006

Culex said:
Anyone have YTD's for each system?
For the ones given so far

DS: 4.43 million
Wii: 3.96 million
X360: 2.59 million
PS2: 2.35 million
PS3: 1.29 million

justjohn said:

As I say every week or so, outside of GAF, the userbase is the exact same one as the 360's. The same one that killed Viva Pinata in its sleep. Its why multiplatforms don't do as well, also. Every month more and more evidence piles up to support my hypothesis. There is only really one next gen HD userbase, but some of them own both consoles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Loudninja said:
People the sales, Sony reported ARE NOT INCLUDED, how many times must I say that?

Then Sony lied in their PR. They said sales for the week of Oc. 29 were 75K.

C4Lukins

BenjaminBirdie said:
Me too. It's a faulty comparison. The stand alone could've sold 115,999 copies.

:D

What is strange is they said it sold over 1.4 million, but this only accounts for 1.17 million if my math is correct. That means at least 230 K unaccounted for, but it seems that it is impossible that the 360 standalone sold that many if that is the actual top 10. I wonder if they are counting extra guitars sold also.

Edit: Bleh. I forgot the PS3 version, I thought it was on there but that was the PS2. Plus 5 stupid points for me.

Grecco

justjohn said:

Just like theres a group of Wii owners who only use Wii Sports theres a posibility that theres a group of PS3 owners just interested in Blue Ray. (isnt it the cheapest BR player on the market?) Just a thought.

Top Bottom