• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Chumly

doicare said:
Please go ahead and tell me all the other million selling wii 3rd party games that have released this year then...proof please :lol

This part of the conversation can continue no further, also i would like to see up to date conclusive proof that says otherwise because so far you have provided none.

According to wikipedia 427 is the total amount of games released for the wii in 2008 and 354 is the total amount of games that have/will have been released in 2009. In 2009 the wii has had 17%~ less games made for it.

Actually no, ea sports active is the only new million selling wii 3rd party game that has been released this year, Monster Hunter Tri, The Beatles: Rock Band, Guitar Hero 5 and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games should eventually reach 1 million before the end of the year, although none of those 4 are guaranteed to do so (im looking at you monster hunter tri).

Rabbids is a declining franchise so it wont reach a million sold before christmas if ever, Lego Indiana Jones 2 will eventually sell over a million just not before the end of the year, tiger woods is the same, COD: Reflex is a maybe, Band Hero is unlikely because of declining music games sales and it has got off to a pretty terrible start, Toy Story Mania is a wild card but so far has low sales as has EA Sports Active: More workouts.

My Fitness Coach
Game Party 2
Sonic Unleashed
Active Life: Outdoor Challenge
Lego Batman
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
This list can't be right because Monster Hunter 3 passed 1 million shipped during April-Sept. So I guess you can go ask your source again and guess again which ones you think are correct. Again....

Monster Hunter 3
EA Sports Active
5 more titles

legend166

Can anyone give me the total number the PS2, Xbox and GCN sold in the US? Up to right now I guess.

I'm interested in seeing how long it will take for this gen to > last gen.

donny2112

Chumly said:
So I guess you can go ask your source again and guess again which ones you think are correct.

MH3 hasn't sold 1 million in Japan this year. doicare's "source" is probably talking about the "worldwide" report from a collaboration of NPD, Enterbrain, and Chart-Track/GfK. One problem with this "worldwide" report is that it isn't actually "worldwide," though. It's only for the markets that those companies cover, which isn't all of them. That doesn't matter with MH3, though, as the only market that's been released in is included. Nintendo's numbers, on the other hand, are truly worldwide, but they're not truly sales. Those are shipped numbers. Nintendo obviously knows how many disks it's printed for a game, after all.

Regardless, doicare's attitude, as postulated by Opiate, is the real problem there. No point continuing beating that horse, though.

yoy comparisons for Wii are stupid at this point. It was still sold out last October, so if they had shipped 200K consoles, that's what it would've sold in Oct-08. The only thing this "terrible" yoy decline tells us is that Wii is no longer sold out. Shocking revelation, I know. Any attempt to "analyze" this yoy decline for Wii that goes beyond "Well, it was sold out last year, and this year it isn't." is fraught with problems. If it's down 50% yoy in March of 2010 (i.e. after the sellout was ended), then it can be considered a terrible yoy decline.

legend166 said:

This gen is still ~24m shy of surpassing last gen. It's ~5m ahead of last gen's pace, though.

Chumly

donny2112 said:
MH3 hasn't sold 1 million in Japan this year. doicare's "source" is probably talking about the "worldwide" report from a collaboration of NPD, Enterbrain, and Chart-Track/GfK. One problem with this "worldwide" report is that it isn't actually "worldwide," though. It's only for the markets that those companies cover, which isn't all of them. That doesn't matter with MH3, though, as the only market that's been released in is included. Nintendo's numbers, on the other hand, are truly worldwide, but they're not truly sales. Those are shipped numbers. Nintendo obviously knows how many disks it's printed for a game, after all.

Regardless, doicare's attitude, as postulated by Opiate, is the real problem there. No point continuing beating that horse, though.

yoy comparisons for Wii are stupid at this point. It was still sold out last October, so if they had shipped 200K consoles, that's what it would've sold in Oct-08. The only thing this "terrible" yoy decline tells us is that Wii is no longer sold out. Shocking revelation, I know. Any attempt to "analyze" this yoy decline for Wii that goes beyond "Well, it was sold out last year, and this year it isn't." is fraught with problems. If it's down 50% yoy in March of 2010 (i.e. after the sellout was ended), then it can be considered a terrible yoy decline.

This gen is still ~24m shy of surpassing last gen. It's ~5m ahead of last gen's pace, though.
My only point was that he listed out the games like he KNEW he was correct and received them from his source when hes wrong because Nintendo is going to use games that have shipped past 1 million and MH3 is one of them.

legend166

Donny, when do you think would be a reasonable time to expect the sales of console this generation to outdo last generation?

The reason I'm asking this is because people seem to think we won't be seeing new consoles until 2013 or something, and I'm wondering who exactly would be buying the current consoles in 2013.

donny2112

legend166 said:
Donny, when do you think would be a reasonable time to expect the sales of console this generation to outdo last generation?

Probably Q3 2011 or so. From Oct-08 to Sep-09, the three sold ~17m. PS2 is pretty much gone, so another 12 months like that (shouldn't be hard to do following price drops this year) would put this gen < 10m short of last-gen.

jcm

donny2112 said:

This doesn't make sense. YoY is stupid because the Wii was supply constrained last year? It's not constrained this year. Down is down. If anything, the supply problems make YoY comparisons look better than they really are. Demand is down much more than the YoY numbers would indicate.

donny2112

jcm said:
Demand is down much more than the YoY numbers would indicate.

You mean it's no longer sold out? Shocking.

Of course, demand is lower. Duh. It's the idea of trying to find any meaning in the amount of yoy decline. That's pointless. Wii selling 2m in November was due to having stock for 2m in November. Wii selling less per week in December than in November doesn't mean that demand was less. It means that supply was less. The main point being that beyond the obvious decline in demand, the amount of yoy decline is pretty pointless to try to derive meaning from.

Edit:
Example:
If NOA had shipped 600K last October instead of 800K, beyond making March probably higher some, it would mean the yoy decline was 16% instead of 37%. Does that actually tell us anything more? No. It still tells us that last year it was sold out and it sold what it shipped, and that this year demand is lower.

jcm

donny2112 said:
You mean it's no longer sold out? Shocking.

Of course, demand is lower. Duh. It's the idea of trying to find any meaning in the amount of yoy decline. That's pointless. Wii selling 2m in November was due to having stock for 2m in November. Wii selling less per week in December than in November doesn't mean that demand was less. It means that supply was less. The main point being that beyond the obvious decline in demand, the amount of yoy decline is pretty pointless to try to derive meaning from.

Edit:
Example:
If NOA had shipped 600K last October instead of 800K, beyond making March probably higher some, it would mean the yoy decline was 16% instead of 37%. Does that actually tell us anything more? No. It still tells us that last year it was sold out and it sold what it shipped, and that this year demand is lower.

No, I mean demand is way down, as opposed to just being down. Since we have no way to measure last year's demand, we have to go with the numbers we have. It doesn't make it pointless. It just means we have to acknowledge that the actual picture is worse than the numbers indicate.

Nintendo selling significantly fewer units than last year is meaningful. Th meaning is that there aren't nearly as many people who are buying Wiis as there were last year. As far as percentages go, they can be used to say "it's at least this bad".

donny2112

Edit:
Ugh. Sorry. I'm not sure why I'm being so whatever I'm being that's not nice with this. Suffice it to say that months in or immediately around sellouts are not too useful for comparison to subsequent years beyond pointing out that one year was in sellout and another wasn't (and the gross change in supply/demand ratio that would indicate). One previous example would be PS2 in Fall 2004 where it was down 50% yoy in December, but made back a lot of that the following Jan/Feb due to shortages in Fall 2004.

Yes, demand is down. No, trying to use the numbers in a meaningful is not likely to be especially helpful beyond the overall picture of lessened Wii demand, which likely isn't a surprise to anyone.

legend166 said:
Can anyone give me the total number the PS2, Xbox and GCN sold in the US? Up to right now I guess.

PS2: 44.69M
Xbox: 14.50M
Gamecube: 11.77M
Total: 71.08M

For comparison's sake, here's last gen as of this point (October 2004):

PS2: 24.97M
Xbox: 9.94M
Gamecube: 7.87M
Total: 42.78M

and here's this gen as of now:

360: 16.50M
PS3: 9.06M
Wii: 22.06M
Total: 47.62M

Edit: corrected Gamecube 2004 number.

Linkup

Not that I enjoy bringing up old arguements, but after some looking around I have find that the PSP Go has been hacked. That means the PSP3000 users and PSP Go users can play(steal) both UMD(ISOs) and downloaded(ISOs) games without paying. Now here's the point, why would we expect these people(3000 users in particular) who haven't paid before to suddenly pay because they can download it now?(though they have already been downloading it before) I think we can safely say that the number of downloaded games to the 3000s and Go is going to be very small(especially when you factor in the prices verus retail for 3000 users). The fact the 3000 users can also download means very little.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Linkup said:
Not that I enjoy bringing up old arguements, but after some looking around I have find that the PSP Go has been hacked. That means the PSP3000 users and PSP Go users can play both UMD and downloaded games without paying. Now here's the point, why would we expect these people(3000 users in particular) who haven't paid before to suddenly pay because they can download it now?(though they have already been downloading it before) I think we can safely say that the number of downloaded games to the 3000s and Go is going to be very small(especially when you factor in the prices). The fact the 3000 users can also download means very little.

The Go is hacked? Woah.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Leondexter said:

Gamecube: 4.82M

Holy shit gamecube bomba

AniHawk

Leondexter said:

Gamecube: 4.82M

With each system way ahead of their respective placement last gen (well, except the Wii, which is behind the PS2 now, but only because it launched a year after the generation started), we'll probably see this gen surpass next gen in about 18 months.

Anyway, there are about 5-6m sales of the Dreamcast missing.

AniHawk

Leondexter said:
The Dreamcast died too early; all those people had to go buy another console.

It was still a console from last generation that people paid for. Even if you add up the cheapest launch versions for every system this gen, owning all three since their launches is $50 more than owning all four from last gen if you bought those at launch.

legend166

Did we ever get Scribblenauts numbers for its second month?

I'd be interested to see if it held up with the relatively bad word of mouth.

jvm

Gamasutra.
legend166 said:
Did we ever get Scribblenauts numbers for its second month?

I'd be interested to see if it held up with the relatively bad word of mouth.
Best I can say is #6 on the NDS top 10.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Are the top 10s for each console available anywhere? I've only been able to compile partial lists:

Top 10 PSP games:
1) Gran Turismo
2) WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010
3) Madden NFL 10
4) Dissidia: Final Fantasy
5) NBA 2K10
6) ???
7) ???
8) ???
9) ???
10) Lego Batman

Top 10 Wii games:
1) Wii Fit Plus 441,000
2) Wii Sports Resot 314,000
3) Mario Kart w/ Wheel 85,000 — 113,000
4) ???
5) ???
6) Cabella's Big Game Hunter 2010
7) The Beatles: Rock Band
8) ???
9) ???
10) ???

Top 10 360 games:
1) Borderlands 418,000
2) NBA 2K10 311,000
3) Halo 3: ODST 271,000
4) Forza Motorsport 3 175,000
5) FIFA Soccer 10 156,000
6) Brutal Legend 150,000
7) WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010
8) Madden NFL 10 85,000 — 113,000
9) ??? (Tekken 6? 50,000 — 85,000 (probably 80k))
10) ???

Top 10 PS3 games:
1) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 537,000
2) NBA 2K10 213,000
3) Demon's Souls 150,000 — 156,000
4) FIFA Soccer 10 113,000 — 150,000
5) Tekken 6 113,000 — 130,000 (probably 120k)
6) Borderlands 113,000
7) ??? (Ratchet and Clank? 85,000 — 113,000)
8) ??? (WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010?)
9) ??? (Brutal Legend? 66,000)
10) ???

Top 10 DS games:
1) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days 169,000
2) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Ins. Story 113,000 — 150,000
3) Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: EOS 85,000 — 113,000
4) ???
5) ???
6) Scribblenauts
7) ???
8) ???
9) ???
10) ???

tino

Banned
Here is what I use to calculate the launch date of next gen Wii. The announced ship date of Dragon Quest X (which I assume will be on the Wii), count to the following holiday season.

The announced ship day of the 3rd Final Fantasy title, (which I assume will be FF7 remake,) count to the following Thanksgiving, will be the worldwide launch of the PS4. Because the PS4 will try to sell you have some kind of new industry standard (that Sony has large leverage over). We are not hearing any fancy new tech right now, so I think the PS4 is a long way away.

The launch of the next Xbox is slightly harder to forecast. I think MS has already considered Xbox division "mission accomplished", so it will have less resource to go into the launch of next Xbox. Never forget MS's original goal of Xbox was to block Playstation becoming the standard home entertainment console. Since Sony is not doing much on this (hardware) end and MS is under all out assault by google on the other (browser OS) end, so I assume the Xbox 3 gameplan will have to be self-profitable. I think Xbox 3 will launch earlier than PS4, and MS will have the uber fancy Xbox live 3 to make people upgrade.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
tino said:
Here is what I use to calculate the launch date of next gen Wii. The announced ship date of Dragon Quest X (which I assume will be on the Wii), count to the following holiday season.

Dragon Quest X is currently announced for the Wii, yes.

I'm not sure this is a good prediction though. Dragon Quest VII released in Fall 2000 in Japan. The PS2 released in Spring 2000. Dragon Quest VI came out in December 95. N64 came out in June 96.

The announced ship day of the 3rd Final Fantasy title, (which I assume will be FF7 remake,) count to the following Thanksgiving, will be the worldwide launch of the PS4. Because the PS4 will try to sell you have some kind of new industry standard (that Sony has large leverage over). We are not hearing any fancy new tech right now, so I think the PS4 is a long way away.

That'd be versus XIII, but I'm not sure that's really a good prediction. Final Fantasy XII came out in March 2006 while the PS3 launched in Fall 2006--but Final Fantasy IX came out after the PS2 did and Final Fantasy 6 came out more than two years before the N64.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
AniHawk said:
With each system way ahead of their respective placement last gen (well, except the Wii, which is behind the PS2 now, but only because it launched a year after the generation started), we'll probably see this gen surpass next gen in about 18 months.

Anyway, there are about 5-6m sales of the Dreamcast missing.
I am left bewildered and confused at this prediction.

tino

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Dragon Quest X is currently announced for the Wii, yes.

I'm not sure this is a good prediction though. Dragon Quest VII released in Fall 2000 in Japan. The PS2 released in Spring 2000. Dragon Quest VI came out in December 95. N64 came out in June 96.

That'd be versus XIII, but I'm not sure that's really a good prediction. Final Fantasy XII came out in March 2006 while the PS3 launched in Fall 2006--but Final Fantasy IX came out after the PS2 did and Final Fantasy 6 came out more than two years before the N64.

VS13 is compatible to 10-2. Maybe I should have said the "third non-MMO FF title". I think it will work out like it this time around. Sqeenix is getting very predictable.

AniHawk said:
It was still a console from last generation that people paid for. Even if you add up the cheapest launch versions for every system this gen, owning all three since their launches is $50 more than owning all four from last gen if you bought those at launch.

I was just kidding. I didn't list it because I don't have the numbers, and these 3 are the direct predecessors of the current 3. For completeness' sake, we should be listing handhelds as well, because that market has expanded hugely (to my dismay) this gen.

AniHawk

FootNinja said:
I am left bewildered and confused at this prediction.
Then the day is mine.

Leondexter said:
I was just kidding. I didn't list it because I don't have the numbers, and these 3 are the direct predecessors of the current 3. For completeness' sake, we should be listing handhelds as well, because that market has expanded hugely (to my dismay) this gen.

That's true. I can't find old LTD sales of the GBA though.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
omg rite said:
Hey what were the official numbers for WWE this year? Is that franchise pretty much done now?
:lol It's sales were probably a step up from a tramp being suplexed by a chair.

Top Bottom