• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Kozak said:
I don't think he has a bias against the Wii at all.

The Wii actually is a bad place for 3rd party software. I don't care how many times some LEGO games and RE4Wii gets listed.

However his prediction on the failure of EA Sports Active is rather naive.

I'd say they've gotten back more (most 3rd parties) than they deserve to considering what they've put into it.

Kenka

vanguardian1 said:
I'd say they've gotten back more (most 3rd parties) than they deserve to considering what they've put into it.

It may a valid point of view. But as always, we never know what happens behind the curtains when it comes to Nintendo and third-p deals.

Maybe Nintendo really is a bitch, business-wise.

Yoboman

vanguardian1 said:
Yet it's the ones who are putting something into their product who aren't seeing the return

Yoboman said:
Yet it's the ones who are putting something into their product who aren't seeing the return
Third parties from the start has been shitting out bad software for the Wii from the start, they've built up a bad reputation on the Wii. To reverse this takes time and alot more effort than third parties are giving the Wii.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yoboman said:

niche third party games like boy and his blob, muramasa, zack and wiki, dsE , and little king story are awesome for what they are, but i doubt that developers that developed them thinking they would get blockbuster sales. if they did, they thought wrong.

the only major third party (in terms of budget and mainsteam hypey ) released on the wii so far has been Monster Hunter three and maybe the original red steel. Quality releases with mainstream hype like TW10 , EA sports active, and music games have also done nicely.

They have both sold quite nicely.

I think some people like opiate are correct in that the wii audience seems harder to understand for some reason to third parties. with ps360, they know what types of games to make and who they are selling the games to. make an epic seeming game with guns, shiny graphics, action heavy gameplay, and online and you will most likely sell well on the HD systems.

With the wii it is not that simple it seems/ developers have a hard time doing what nintendo does. (garbage party games as supposed to quality stuff like Wii sports resort or wario ware) party games to third parties means low budget, cartoon graphics. They also have trouble making broad appealing games like mario kart, or nsmb, mario galaxy, smash, etc.

They are also reluctant to fill in nintendo's gaps. so yeah, it is not easy for some third party devs. it is also hard when the prequel to the game you are trying to market was shovel ware subpar garbage that you rushed when wii was soaring.

what i dont understand is why is the adience difficult for third parties and not Nintendo. most wii owners (50 million WW) are either new ( Gamecube had around 22 M WW so new to both nintendo and third parties) or PS2 owners that upgraded to Wii (targeted by third parties before)

Why the fuck would Nintendo have such an advantage? the only possible explanation is that new onwers trust nintendo for quality because they have been burned by third party garbage before. in which case, who really is to blame? I do think Nintendo should promote more aggressively quality third party games.

They are a

doicare

BishopLamont said:
:lol

Best predictor of US game sales? You base this on what?
The fact i have been top of the neo gaf npd prediction league for the past 2 years running. The funniest thing of all is you don't have the first clue about sales, which would actually explain why you think i don't have a clue. :lol

BishopLamont said:
His already been banned once for citing "inside source". I'm not sure why he keeps doing it....well actually I do.
No i was never banned for that, i was banned for one month after citing my opinion on how the ps3 gets a rough ride on web forums in recent times compared to the competition.

BishopLamont said:
I'm not the one claiming this or that game sold a million on any platform, you are. The burden of proof is on you.
If you have no clue then don't waste everybodys time with posts featuring lots of :lol :lol's

BishopLamont said:
His been busted using preorder numbers for one store chain in Japan as total preorder numbers for a ton of games and stating as cold hard numbers. eg. DQIX > 20x RE5 numbers. I believe it was COMGNET preorder numbers.
Once i was given some numbers from a source of mine and they turned out to be very similar to another sites numbers and that makes me dishonest some how? The funny thing is the numbers i was given and the numbers i passed on to this forum turned out to be very close to the final sales numbers.

BishopLamont said:
He always focus on Wii software sales and how bad they are without using data to back it up.
The wii is the most interesting console to me in terms of sales so that is why i talk about it the most. The wii isn't performing like a normal market leader so i comment on that and where ever possible i use data to back it up.

BishopLamont said:
It's clear he does it for the attention and not for the sake of sales-age.
No, not at all, infact i would really prefer it if you never quoted or commented on me again. You would be doing everybody a massive favour because you always come into threads featuring posts of mine and start talking bs and derailing things...just like you are now.

BishopLamont said:
I mean the Wii sold the most third party software in 2008 but he focus instead on 2009
The market leader is supposed to sell the most, it's very boring to state the obvious and to talk about it at length. 2009's wii sales on the other hand are far more interesting because they are unusual.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
amtentori said:
They are a
308eemh.png

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
doicare said:
Once i was given some numbers from a source of mine and they turned out to be very similar to another sites numbers and that makes me dishonest some how? The funny thing is the numbers i was given and the numbers i passed on to this forum turned out to be very close to the final sales numbers.

You are either a liar or someone who trusts bad data, and either possibility should disqualify yourself from sales threads.

doicare said:
The fact i have been top of the neo gaf npd prediction league for the past 2 years running. The funniest thing of all is you don't have the first clue about sales, which would actually explain why you think i don't have a clue. :lol

No i was never banned for that, i was banned for one month after citing my opinion on how the ps3 gets a rough ride on web forums in recent times compared to the competition.

If you have no clue then don't waste everybodys time with posts featuring lots of :lol :lol's

The wii is the most interesting console to me in terms of sales so that is why i talk about it the most. The wii isn't performing like a normal market leader so i comment on that and where ever possible i use data to back it up.

No, not at all, infact i would really prefer it if you never quoted or commented on me again. You would be doing everybody a massive favour because you always come into threads featuring posts of mine and start talking bs and derailing things...just like you are now.

The market leader is supposed to sell the most, it's very boring to state the obvious and to talk about it at length. 2009's wii sales on the other hand are far more interesting because they are unusual.
That's hardware, not software like Opiate was saying, please try again. Just because I don't make up bullshit based on fanboy feelings doesn't mean I know nothing about sales-age, just as you making up bullshit doesn't mean you know anything about sales. You did get banned for citing "inside source", stop trying to deny that. Being 99% same as COMGNET numbers is just coincidence right? Oh and the final numbers was not close to the numbers you gave because all you did was give percentages for preorders number...which you stole from COMGNET. How are they close to the final numbers if you never gave any in the first place? :lol.

The fact that everyone laughs at your post speaks more then me saying anything about you, but many don't know about your past that's why I have to tell them. Since when did the Wii not sell the most as market leader? Selling the most third party software for 2008 is not enough? How about adding first party to that equation? For 2009 if you checked Nintendo's financial report, the Wii still sells the most software from Jan-Sep, how is that not performing to market leader status again?

Oh and complaining about how the PS3 has a rough time on forums proves just how much of a fanboy you are. Everyone console gets its fair share, but oh since its your precious PS3 the hate must be on another level!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
so EA SPORTS ACTIVE has sold pretty well?

if so, i'm glad. that's the best piece of electronic fitness software i've ever used. EA did an amazing job with it. it's certainly made my life a lot easier.

Rolf NB

vanguardian1 said:
All I see are Wii(-only) owners hating on every game that comes across. It's not really because the games are "low effort"/"arcade"/"short"/"outsourced"/"off-genre"/"redheaded" or whatever excuse is getting brought up time and again. Core gamers stuck with a Wii just tend to hate on everything, no questions asked.

It's not even that hard to understand: I wouldn't be satisfied with a Wii only myself, what if I tried to stick it out? Maybe I wouldn't blame third parties for my own platform choice, but I'd get grumpy one way or another. The proper solution though, which I can recommend 100%, is to buy another platform to complement.

I know I've done my part, bought DSE with my own money and played it. I know exactly what it is. I'm not sure the more vocal Wii defenders shitting up this thread and others could claim the same.

doicare

schuelma said:
You are either a liar or someone who trusts bad data, and either possibility should disqualify yourself from sales threads.
Nope.
BishopLamont said:
That's hardware, not software like Opiate was saying, please try again.
If you think somebody can be one of the best around at predicting hardware sales but not have a clue about software sales then you really do need help.
BishopLamont said:
Just because I don't make up bullshit based on fanboy feelings doesn't mean I know nothing about sales-age, just as you making up bullshit doesn't mean you know anything about sales.
Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. If i am making up bullshit then you should have absolutely no problem in proving me wrong....yet you still have never managed to do that.
BishopLamont said:
You did get banned for citing "inside source", stop trying to deny that. Being 99% same as COMGNET numbers is just coincidence right? Oh and the final numbers was not close to the numbers you gave because all you did was give percentages for preorders number...which you stole from COMGNET. How are they close to the final numbers if you never gave any in the first place? :lol.
No i was NEVER banned for that, so stop spreading fud. And how many more times do i have to say it before it sinks into your head, i was given numbers that turned out to be almost identical to a website i had never heard about. I gave the % of those numbers and they turned out to be very close to the final % difference of the actual numbers.
BishopLamont said:
The fact that everyone laughs at your post speaks more then me saying anything about you, but many don't know about your past that's why I have to tell them. Since when did the Wii not sell the most as market leader? Selling the most third party software for 2008 is not enough? How about adding first party to that equation? For 2009 if you checked Nintendo's financial report, the Wii still sells the most software from Jan-Sep, how is that not performing to market leader status again?
No if you actually took off your fanboy goggles you'd see plenty of people respect my posts, with a select few like yourself causing problems. As for the rest of your point the wii selling the most 3rd party software in 2008 doesn't change the fact 2009's sales aren't great for a console in it's third full year which should be at its peak, not in decline. It's a fact significantly less games have been released for the wii in 2009 compared to 2008 and as well as that the wii has had less AAA games released for it this year and you some how think that isn't going to effect wii's software sales? :lol

doicare said:
If you think somebody can be one of the best around at predicting hardware sales but not have a clue about software sales then you really do need help.
Hello. Living example here. Hardware is a lot easier to get close on. There are only a handful of platforms to consider and putting together regular season changes combined with the trends of previous months can get one in the ballpark. None of that is any good at determining what any of the thousands of games out there is doing, though.

markatisu

beelzebozo said:
so EA SPORTS ACTIVE has sold pretty well?

if so, i'm glad. that's the best piece of electronic fitness software i've ever used. EA did an amazing job with it. it's certainly made my life a lot easier.

1 million + with an expansion pack releasing tomorrow

doicare

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hello. Living example here. Hardware is a lot easier to get close on. There are only a handful of platforms to consider and putting together regular season changes combined with the trends of previous months can get one in the ballpark. None of that is any good at determining what any of the thousands of games out there is doing, though.
Sure hardware is easy to predict that is why you are top of the neo gaf prediction league...o wait you aren't are you. Software is so hard to predict that when it comes to me making japanese first week software predictions i always get them wrong...o no wait that's right i get it right the vast majority of the time...

doicare said:
Sure hardware is easy to predict that is why you are top of the neo gaf prediction league...o wait you aren't are you. Software is so hard to predict that when it comes to me making japanese first week software predictions i always get them wrong...o no wait that's right i get it right the vast majority of the time...

You know what? Regardless of your accuracy or lack thereof, you are one of the most insufferable asses ever to grace GAF sales threads.

Brakara

doicare said:

If only there was a monthly software predictions thread you could participate in. That would've shown them!

Rolf NB

Cosmonaut X said:
You know what? Regardless of your accuracy or lack thereof, you are one of the most insufferable asses ever to grace GAF sales threads.
Communication skills: very low, but at least he contributes in the form of points and arguments.

Now that BishopLamont dude OTOH, if it weren't for the few weeks where he posted the PAL charts, that would still be a zero.

bcn-ron said:
Now that BishopLamont dude OTOH, if it weren't for the few weeks where he posted the PAL charts, that would still be a zero.

I'm not touching that one with a bargepole - it's like watching a pair of ex-lovers sniping across the table at a dinner party...

doicare

Cosmonaut X said:
You see the thing is i've got BishopLamont on a personal crusade against me spreading fud and insults and then JoshuaJSlone comes along and just adds more fuel to the fire. He basically said "yeah that thing that you do which you are very good at and beat everybody else at, well yeah actually it's not hard at all to do it's meaningless and you don't know a thing about software sales". Honestly how else do you think that should be taken.
Brakara said:
If only there was a monthly software predictions thread you could participate in. That would've shown them!
If i could be bothered i would enter the software prediction league but as i am not from america it doesn't interest me as much uk or japanese sales. O and congrats on doing really well this month in the hardware prediction league, it's going to be a close finish between you me and the rest of the top 5.

gerg

doicare said:
You see the thing is i've got BishopLamont on a personal crusade against me spreading fud and insults and then JoshuaJSlone comes along and just adds more fuel to the fire. He basically said "yeah that thing that you do which you are very good at and beat everybody else at, well yeah actually it's not hard at all to do it's meaningless and you don't know a thing about software sales". Honestly how else do you think that should be taken.

He didn't say that. He didn't even say anything specific about your personal ability to predict either hardware or software sales. Rather, he simply stated that it is easier to predict hardware sales than software sales due to fewer unknown variables, and thus that it is not always safe to suggest that because someone is good at predicting hardware sales that they should be good at predicting software sales.

If you want people to respect your opinion, respect theirs. Irrespective of your dyslexia, make a concerted effort to type better and it will reflect on you. Don't be so antagonistic, and don't insult people. Present hard evidence to back up your statements.

Change your demeaner and maybe then people might take your opinion seriously. And I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but these are all steps that you could take to get people to be more amicable towards you, whether or not they should change their own behaviour.

markatisu said:
Bomb is a bomb in this case, no sequel greenlit that we know of and not even any other games to use the peripheral since its released. It does not matter if it did not meet expectations or was a fantastic epic fail like Bionic Commando.
Hey, if you don't know just say so.

And obviously you cannot read, I did not imply anything about the HD systems having more than one game. In fact I explicitly pointed to the fact that there has been 1 game and its failure is the reason there are not more, which works to prove that DSE even moved to a system which seems to have a better hold on the 18-35 demo would have seem similar sales based on the genre.
He should be dismissing it for the genre, even being Dead Space it was a light gun game and I think on other systems it would perform similar to every other HD light gun game...which is to say shitty. Unless someone at GAF wants to point to the massive success of Time Crisis on the PS3...oh wait you cant.
No, you used one game as an example but implied that it met the fate of all other HD light gun games. That's what "every other" implies: that there's more than one. Your paragraph was structured to imply that there are multiple HD light gun games and that the game with the most likely chance of success due to IP recognition failed.

apujanata

doicare said:

I don't know whether you would do as well on S/W as you did on H/W, but let me point out my situation :
Currently I am #1 in 2009 S/W, but I am ONLY #27 in H/W. Would you consider me #27 for H/W as "have a clue about H/W" ?

Me being very good on S/W didn't meant I will automatically do very good on H/W.

JoshuaJSlone said:
You are #10 on H/W, but you didn't predict for S/W in 2009, so you couldn't be considered living example.

doicare said:
If i could be bothered i would enter the software prediction league but as i am not from america it doesn't interest me as much uk or japanese sales. O and congrats on doing really well this month in the hardware prediction league, it's going to be a close finish between you me and the rest of the top 5.
You are not from america, so you didn't want to predict for America S/W. And yet you are willing to predict for America H/W ?

For your information, I am also not from America, and I predict for both America H/W and America S/W.

Boontje, botticus, llonesmiz, are Top 10 H/W predictor that also predict S/W, and are in the Top 5 S/W.

doicare said:
Nope.

Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. If i am making up bullshit then you should have absolutely no problem in proving me wrong....yet you still have never managed to do that.

No i was NEVER banned for that, so stop spreading fud. And how many more times do i have to say it before it sinks into your head, i was given numbers that turned out to be almost identical to a website i had never heard about. I gave the % of those numbers and they turned out to be very close to the final % difference of the actual numbers.

No if you actually took off your fanboy goggles you'd see plenty of people respect my posts, with a select few like yourself causing problems. As for the rest of your point the wii selling the most 3rd party software in 2008 doesn't change the fact 2009's sales aren't great for a console in it's third full year which should be at its peak, not in decline. It's a fact significantly less games have been released for the wii in 2009 compared to 2008 and as well as that the wii has had less AAA games released for it this year and you some how think that isn't going to effect wii's software sales? :lol
Like I said I never claimed anything about million sellers, you did, so the burden of proof remains on you. It's not hard to understand.

You stealing COMGNET numbers and stating as "inside-source" speaks for itself, no need to keep trying to say otherwise.

Obviously 2009 software sales aren't going to be as great as 2008, there's less hits first party and third party wise. You expect 2009 to be as great as 2008 when you yourself acknowledge there's less support for third party? How does that make sense to you? When did I ever say 2009 would be better then 2008? I stated that so far in 2009 the Wii is still selling the most software, that's a fact. You keep putting words in my mouth and changing the argument. You say the Wii is not performing to market leader status when it's still selling the most software and hardware. Is it that hard to understand?

Plenty of people talk about the Wii and it's situation and have perfectly nice debates, but people just laugh and mock at what you say. Must be nothing about you right? Must be everyone else. :lol

bcn-ron said:
Communication skills: very low, but at least he contributes in the form of points and arguments.

and your contribution to sales-age...is what?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
doicare said:
And how many more times do i have to say it before it sinks into your head, i was given numbers that turned out to be almost identical to a website i had never heard about. I gave the % of those numbers and they turned out to be very close to the final % difference of the actual numbers.
It's obvious nobody and nothing can convince you that the pre-order numbers your source gave you are coming from COMGNET (and they aren't almost identical, they are exactly identical).

And since as you say you are so good at predictions and interested in japanese sales why don't you participate to the weekly predictions running at the Media Create threads?

LosDaddie

Banned
Does anyone think MS cuts the X360's price soon (as in this year)?

I think MS waits 'til next year....around March or so.

EDIT: I really need to start reading my posts before clicking submit:lol

Effect

Is there any way to judge what kind of numbers Nintendo's Battalion Wars 2 (Wii) has sold up till now?

I know it didn't do so hot when it came out but Nintendo games continue to sell over time and that game can still be found in stores. Where as games like Fire Emblem has been out of print for a long time. So either it (BW2) simply aren't selling (stores would price them down or take them off the shelves if that was the case but they aren't) or they are selling enough (however slowly) that Nintendo still sending out shipments to stores. If it's the last case then that would mean the game is still being tracked correct?

Still surprised that game didn't do better as it's a lot of fun and there is nothing else like it on the console. Very few games take the RTS element and put you down on the field like that. I think there was on PC game that did that that was apart of a RTS series and there was going to be one for Command & Conquer but it was canceled.

Thanks

Jokeropia

doicare said:
This part of the conversation can continue no further, also i would like to see up to date conclusive proof that says otherwise because so far you have provided none.
You made the claims regarding these non-public data points (the exact number of million sellers and total third party software sales for games released this year), so the burden of proof is on you.

Don't make claims if you can't back them up. All the claims I've made (Wii sold the most third party games in USA 2008, Wii sold 117.01 million games between January and September 07 compared to 57.6 for PS3 etc.) I can back up with public data.
doicare said:
According to wikipedia 427 is the total amount of games released for the wii in 2008 and 354 is the total amount of games that have/will have been released in 2009. In 2009 the wii has had 17%~ less games made for it.
A couple of issues with this:

1.) 2009 is not over so the list may yet be updated.
2.) How reliable is the list? I know from experience that many release lists (GameFAQs, IGN) can be spotty.
3.) How does this compare with 360 and PS3? Wii doesn't exist in a vaccuum.
Kozak said:
The Wii actually is a bad place for 3rd party software.
Wii has 43 third party million sellers and sold the most third party games of all systems in the US during 2008.

lyre said:
More talk about NPD numbers and less talk over anything unrelated plzkthnx.

And this is your one warning.
Love the tag. :lol

Anyone know what Punch Out has ended up at? And I realize it would take some brain stretching but does anyone know Mass Effects total?

markatisu

Thunder Monkey said:
Love the tag. :lol

Anyone know what Punch Out has ended up at? And I realize it would take some brain stretching but does anyone know Mass Effects total?

Last we know Punch Out was headed past 500k I think (the two times it hit the charts)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thunder Monkey said:

If I remember correctly, some site did an LTD update when the 2-disc Mass Effect with the behind the scenes video came out, and it was around a million flat NPD then.

Someone with more recent NPD numbers could authenticate/confirm/specify the current number

markatisu

Thunder Monkey said:
Well... that's a hell of a lot better then I expected.

rough estimates with what we know

1st month (May) 156.9k
2nd Month (June) 15th place (~120-179k)
3rd Month (July) 15th place (~50-98k)

And I am pretty sure it kept selling over the last 4 months

Stumpokapow said:
If I remember correctly, some site did an LTD update when the 2-disc Mass Effect with the behind the scenes video came out, and it was around a million flat NPD then.

Someone with more recent NPD numbers could authenticate/confirm/specify the current number
Well... that's nowhere near as high as I was expecting. Still pretty damn good for an original scifi RPG.
markatisu said:
rough estimates with what we know

1st month (May) 156.9k
2nd Month (June) 15th place (~120-179k)
3rd Month (July) 15th place (~50-98k)

And I am pretty sure it kept selling over the last 4 months
Go Punch Out!

jrricky

Banned
Man, doicare has really riled you guys up. :lol
I've never seen him in npds before...

The past few pages have been very interesting to say the least. :lol

onipex

Wow I didn't expect the Wii to sell more than the DS.

I wonder if the PS3 will have its best holiday. I don't think it ever got over 1 million in Nov. or Dec. outside of the launch window.

onipex said:
Wow I didn't expect the Wii to sell more than the DS.

I wonder if the PS3 will have its best holiday. I don't think it ever got over 1 million in Nov. or Dec. outside of the launch window.
It didn't do it inside the launch window.:lol

This year and next year (if they drop to $199) are Sony's best chances at having a respectable holiday season this generation. I expect everything to be slowing to a crawl by 2011.

onipex

Thunder Monkey said:
It didn't do it inside the launch window.:lol

This year and next year (if they drop to $199) are Sony's best chances at having a respectable holiday season this generation. I expect everything to be slowing to a crawl by 2011.

Wow so it never reached 1 million for those months. Has that ever happened before? I think it will be very bad for Sony if the Xbox comes out ahead of the PS3 next month.

onipex said:
Wow so it never reached 1 million for those months. Has that ever happened before? I think it will be very bad for Sony if the Xbox comes out ahead of the PS3 next month.
There were very few PS3's on shelves in November and December of launch.

By the time Sony got enough on shelves interest had subsided. They haven't been in particularly good shape since.

apujanata said:
You are #10 on H/W, but you didn't predict for S/W in 2009, so you couldn't be considered living example.
I have so little clue I don't bother participating. :lol
LosDaddie said:
Does anyone think MS cuts the X360's price soon (as in this year)?
Has any major hardware ever had a permanent cut in November or December? Special holiday bundles that add in extra games for little/no cost are all the rage, but I think they've already got one of those going on with the Elite.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Has any major hardware ever had a permanent cut in November or December?

PS3 had the 40GB launch in late October. I think Nintendo's $99 GameCube price cut was in October (or really late September). Did Dreamcast officially drop to $50 in its last November? I picked it up for that price, at the time.

jvm

Gamasutra.
donny2112 said:
PS3 had the 40GB launch in late October. I think Nintendo's $99 GameCube price cut was in October (or really late September). Did Dreamcast officially drop to $50 in its last November? I picked it up for that price, at the time.
I remember Dreamcast going to $50 in November. They were stacked up in a Best Buy, as I recall, on Black Friday that year. (I was in Tallahassee with the in-laws.)

onipex said:
I think it will be very bad for Sony if the Xbox comes out ahead of the PS3 next month.

It would, but is there any actual reason to believe it will?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Has any major hardware ever had a permanent cut in November or December?

Well, there's a first time for everything, and every time, that time is "this generation." :lol

Top Bottom