• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

jamesinclair said:
Wait, wait wait.

The dead space wii game is a light gun game!?!?

Nobody told me, and I didnt get that from the ads....

Now IM interested!

Is it better than HOD: Overkill?

No.
It has slightly better production values, but you'll get more bang for your buck from Overkill.

Also, I can't honestly believe EA was surprised the game didn't sell well.
RE:UC sold well because it was freaking Resident Evil.
Overkill sold well because it was House of the Dead (but it sold substantially less than UC or even HotD 2&3).

Did they really think people would buy a light gun version of a fairly unknown IP?
Oy.

Chumly

doicare said:
In terms of overall ltd the wii has sold more 3rd party games than either the ps3 or 360 has, last time i checked in 2009 so far both the 360 and ps3 worldwide have sold more 3rd party software than the wii has.

The wii overall has sold a lot of software but what i am saying is it should currently be selling more 3rd party software this year.

It changes everything if the 3rd party support for the wii gets worse. If less games get released (which is what is happening now), then less people will buy a wii in the first place and current owners will buy less games because fewer games are available, it's all pretty basic.

Wii games generally do have the best legs but you seem to think that wii 3rd party sales are constant and come this time next year the amount of million selling 3rd party wii games will have increased the same amount as the year before. This is not likely to be the case, like i've already said so far this year ea sports active is the only new million selling 3rd party game released this year for the wii. Last year at this point in time the wii already had nine new million selling 3rd party games that had been released that year:
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Deca Sports
Rock Band
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
Big Beach Sports
Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party
We Ski
The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

When all is said and done 2009 will have less new 3rd party million sellers for the wii then 2008 did and 2010 looks like it will also have less then 2008.
Uh..... Stuff like

Rock Band
We Ski

didnt pass a million until during the holidays so why are we discounting the fact that a bunch of titles could go over a million during the holidays this year for the wii?????

doicare

Chumly said:
Uh..... Stuff like

Rock Band
We Ski

didnt pass a million until during the holidays so why are we discounting the fact that a bunch of titles could go over a million during the holidays this year for the wii?????
Because other than the 4 titles i mentioned in a previous post nothing else on the wii that is 3rd party released this year is even close to 1 million. Even with those 4 games it would be 2008 with 9 million sellers vs 2009 with 5 million sellers.

Sipowicz

Banned
AceBandage said:
Did they really think people would buy a light gun version of a fairly unknown IP?
Oy.

yes they did. they also thought that people would pay 50 bucks for it despite it being a short arcade game with no replay value

they also thought they would generate interest by blackmailing wii owners, lying to them and revealing the develop to be some shitty shovelware company

like i said, shit and incompetent

Oh boy doicare is back to making up sales-age bs based on nothing but his fanboy feelings. "The only new IP released on the Wii this year to break a million is EA Sports active". :lol

Yes I'm sure you have access to all software sales for the whole world.

First he invades PAL charts, then MC and now NPD. I weep for the future of sales-age.

Jokeropia

doicare said:
I checked with my friends :D.
That won't cut it, you know that as well as I do.
doicare said:
FYI those % from nintendo have changed in recent times.
Again, you need valid sources for all these claims.
doicare said:
Using the wikipedia database of games 427 wii games were released in 2008 and in 2009 only 354 wii games have been released.
Is that 427 games released in the whole of 2008? I'm asking because 2009 isn't over yet.
doicare said:
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here because i have already answered this question, so far this year from new 3rd party games released in 2009 worldwide on the wii only ea sports active has sold over 1 million.
Again, I need a source. "Your friends" is not a valid source.

gkryhewy

AceBandage said:
Even if his friend is ... Never mind, that's skirtting ban territory.

It was two games for $30. Not really all that surprising.
Uh huh. Zero chance an identical package would have moved a million units on ps360, even with a free light gun. That is an amazing number for that genre.

gkrykewy said:
Uh huh. Zero chance an identical package would have moved a million units on ps360, even with a free light gun. That is an amazing number for that genre.

While true, the fact that Overkill barely managed half that number, and the only other light gun game to get over a million was a Resident Evil game, shows that there isn't as large of a base for the genre as people think.

donny2112

Actual

USConsoles-15.png

Estimated

WWConsoles-24.png

Sadist

Sipowicz said:
yes they did. they also thought that people would pay 50 bucks for it despite it being a short arcade game with no replay value

they also thought they would generate interest by blackmailing wii owners, lying to them and revealing the develop to be some shitty shovelware company

like i said, shit and incompetent
You really seem to hate EA on Wii, in particular Dead Space Extraction.

Hyperbole to the max.

And if House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return really reached a million units, that's cool.

Chumly

doicare said:
Because other than the 4 titles i mentioned in a previous post nothing else on the wii that is 3rd party released this year is even close to 1 million. Even with those 4 games it would be 2008 with 9 million sellers vs 2009 with 5 million sellers.
Ok so for million sellers this year we have.....

EA Sports Active
Monster Hunter Tri
The Beatles: Rock Band
Guitar Hero 5
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

In addition were going to most likely have

Rabbids go Home
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Tiger Woods 10

Wouldnt be surprised if some other titles make it to a million also like

COD: Reflex
Band Hero
Toy Story Mania
EA Sports Active: More workouts

Also we know that there are 7 additional third party million sellers than passed the mark from April-Sept (EA Sports active is one of them). It IS possible that one or some of the other 6 were released this year.

So what again is so different from last year??

EDIT: I forgot you had "inside sources" so please go ahead and list for everyone the 6 games that were released before 2009 than passed a million units shipped between April and September.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, finished my article. Should be up in the morning.

Which top 10 platform list would people be most interested in this month?

jvm said:

Probably PSP would be most interesting by a long shot. But I don't really care about PSP at all so....Wii I guess?

jtb

Banned
I concur on the PSP - with the complete failure of the PSP Go, it'd be nice to see how the software list (not numbers, since they're all terrible) was affected.

Zen

Banned
jvm said:

Honestly? PSP. We never get any PSP data aside from the rare time that a blockbuster charts in the 100-200k range. It would be very interesting to see (and sad but what are you going to do). Even if it's only the top 10 for 1 month, it would be able to give us a some information.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Uhhh, would the Top 10 list contain the actual sales of each game or just be a simple 1-10? Because if it is just a simple 1-10 then it would be rather useless to do it on the PSP imo.

Sipowicz

Banned
Sadist said:
You really seem to hate EA on Wii, in particular Dead Space Extraction.

Hyperbole to the max.

it's not hyperbole, i genuinely believe they're absolutely terrible on the wii and i'd personally class them as one of the worst companies "working" on the system.

at the same time though they've become my favourite pc developer and i think they've been very progressive and smart on that platform.

dead space extraction was ok as i said. it was also incredibly overpriced, an arcade game, vastly inferior to the original, 6 hours long with no replay value and had the worst marketing/reveal i've ever seen for any game

someone said it sold less than chop til you drop. kind of puts EA's incompetence into perspective. they did an amazing job sabotaging any chance they ever had of being successful on the wii. they deserve to fail on the platform

doicare

BishopLamont said:
Please go ahead and tell me all the other million selling wii 3rd party games that have released this year then...proof please :lol
Jokeropia said:
Again, you need valid sources for all these claims.
This part of the conversation can continue no further, also i would like to see up to date conclusive proof that says otherwise because so far you have provided none.
BishopLamont said:
Is that 427 games released in the whole of 2008? I'm asking because 2009 isn't over yet.
According to wikipedia 427 is the total amount of games released for the wii in 2008 and 354 is the total amount of games that have/will have been released in 2009. In 2009 the wii has had 17%~ less games made for it.
Chumly said:
Ok so for million sellers this year we have.....
Actually no, ea sports active is the only new million selling wii 3rd party game that has been released this year, Monster Hunter Tri, The Beatles: Rock Band, Guitar Hero 5 and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games should eventually reach 1 million before the end of the year, although none of those 4 are guaranteed to do so (im looking at you monster hunter tri).
Chumly said:
In addition were going to most likely have

Rabbids go Home
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Tiger Woods 10

Wouldnt be surprised if some other titles make it to a million also like

COD: Reflex
Band Hero
Toy Story Mania
EA Sports Active: More workouts
Rabbids is a declining franchise so it wont reach a million sold before christmas if ever, Lego Indiana Jones 2 will eventually sell over a million just not before the end of the year, tiger woods is the same, COD: Reflex is a maybe, Band Hero is unlikely because of declining music games sales and it has got off to a pretty terrible start, Toy Story Mania is a wild card but so far has low sales as has EA Sports Active: More workouts.
Chumly said:
please go ahead and list for everyone the 6 games that were released before 2009 than passed a million units shipped between April and September.
My Fitness Coach
Game Party 2
Sonic Unleashed
Active Life: Outdoor Challenge
Lego Batman
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith

EDarkness

Sipowicz said:
it's not hyperbole, i genuinely they're absolutely terrible on the wii and i'd personally class them as one of the worst companies "working" on the system.

at the same time though they've become my favourite pc developer and i think they've been very progressive and smart on the platform.

dead space extraction was ok as i said. it was also incredibly overpriced, an arcade game, vastly inferior to the original, 6 hours long with no replay value and had the worst marketing/reveal i've ever seen for any game

someone said it sold less than chop til you drop. kind of puts EA's incompetence into perspective. they did an amazing chance sabotaging any chance they ever had of being successful on the wii

I agree. I don't think EA has any idea what they're doing on the Wii. Seeing Dead Space Extraction bomb is not surprising at all. No idea what they were thinking. To be honest, I'm glad Madded crashed and burned, too. Maybe they'll stop this crazy family crap and make a real Madden for those who actually play it.

devilhawk

2008: Higher number of Wii games released. = Bad. "They are all shovel-ware anyways."
2009: Fewer number of Wii games released. = Bad. "Because it's uh, uh bad alright."

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
EA has exactly two successes on the Wii this year: Sports Active and Tiger Woods 10. If EA was smart, they'd look at why those games were successful and the others weren't, instead of throwing up their hands and going WELP WE CAN'T SELL ON WII.

Chumly

doicare said:
Please go ahead and tell me all the other million selling wii 3rd party games that have released this year then...proof please :lol

This part of the conversation can continue no further, also i would like to see up to date conclusive proof that says otherwise because so far you have provided none.

According to wikipedia 427 is the total amount of games released for the wii in 2008 and 354 is the total amount of games that have/will have been released in 2009. In 2009 the wii has had 17%~ less games made for it.

Actually no, ea sports active is the only new million selling wii 3rd party game that has been released this year, Monster Hunter Tri, The Beatles: Rock Band, Guitar Hero 5 and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games should eventually reach 1 million before the end of the year, although none of those 4 are guaranteed to do so (im looking at you monster hunter tri).

Rabbids is a declining franchise so it wont reach a million sold before christmas if ever, Lego Indiana Jones 2 will eventually sell over a million just not before the end of the year, tiger woods is the same, COD: Reflex is a maybe, Band Hero is unlikely because of declining music games sales and it has got off to a pretty terrible start, Toy Story Mania is a wild card but so far has low sales as has EA Sports Active: More workouts.

My Fitness Coach
Game Party 2
Sonic Unleashed
Active Life: Outdoor Challenge
Lego Batman
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
Again I repeat of this list.....

Deca Sports
Rock Band
Big Beach Sports
We Ski

Only ONE OR TWO had already reached a million before "this point in time" Which guess what? Is exactly the same as this year. Your entire argument is completely worthless because it just relies on what you "think" is going to happen in the future.

doicare said:

None of this discussion can go any further because everything you are saying is based on what your 'friend' told you. These threads are supposed to be about discussing known numbers not rumors so if you can't post your source or the numbers than your data is no more reliable than chartzzz.

Jokeropia has actually posted data from a REAL source even if it's not totally up to date it's better than made up numbers.

doicare

Chumly said:

Deca Sports
Rock Band
Big Beach Sports
We Ski

Only ONE OR TWO had already reached a million before "this point in time" Which guess what? Is exactly the same as this year. Your entire argument is completely worthless because it just relies on what you "think" is going to happen in the future.
Well i can tell the direction this thread is going so i won't be saying much more in general about it all but to begin with the majority of that list at this point in time last year had already sold over 1 million and if you are so sure only one or two of those game had reached over 1 million then please feel free to post proof.
AdventureRacing said:
None of this discussion can go any further because everything you are saying is based on what your 'friend' told you. These threads are supposed to be about discussing known numbers not rumors so if you can't post your source or the numbers than your data is no more reliable than chartzzz.

Jokeropia has actually posted data from a REAL source even if it's not totally up to date it's better than made up numbers.
Yeah it's not just based on 'one friend'. Jokerpoia posted numbers that are out of date and don't actually directly apply to what i was saying.

doicare said:
Yeah it's not just based on 'one friend'.

If you can't tell us the source or exactly what the data is than as far as i'm concerned you are making it up.

doicare said:
Jokerpoia posted numbers that are out of date and don't actually directly apply to what i was saying.

Then post more recent data. The data directly applied to what you were saying, you were talking about 3rd party software sold and he posted data that could be used to try and determine this.

devilhawk

doicare said:
pre orders
Alright. This just proves you have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about. Despite the fact that you could even be right, you are clearly talking out your ass.

Workout games and pre orders. :lol :lol

Cipherr

My ignore on this character is USELESS if you all keep fighting with him and quoting him.

How he evades with this "I had secret source gaiz" stuff is exactly the reason I ignored him in the first place, and yet I still have to drek through his horrible posts. Its not fair.

Chumly said:

Deca Sports
Rock Band
Big Beach Sports
We Ski

Now I remember why my Wii has been idle.

doicare

AdventureRacing said:
If you can't tell us the source or exactly what the data is than as far as i'm concerned you are making it up.
You can wait for nintendo to update their numbers and release the information next year and you can see for yourself if you like.

AdventureRacing said:
Then post more recent data. The data directly applied to what you were saying, you were talking about 3rd party software sold and he posted data that could be used to try and determine this.
Their isn't more up to data publically released data that can be posted. The data does not directly apply to what i was saying because:
1. The shipment data only goes up to the end of september and we are in the middle of novemeber now.
2. They are shipped figures and i am talking about sold figures.
3. They do not seperate 3rd party from 1st party sales and i am only refering to 3rd party sales.
4. The numbers aren't just for new games released this year, they are for all software shipped this year regardless of what year it was made. The subject and the data i am refering to are games released and sold this year only.
5. The seperate chart featuring 1st party vs 3rd party sales only uses rounded numbers.
6. The seperate chart featuring 1st party vs 3rd party sales is very out of date.

markatisu said:
Are you serious? EA Active, the game that was marketed the back of Oprah and The Biggest Loser and you are looking at preorder numbers :lol
Right this is just getting rediculous. I make a list showing all the 3rd party games that by the end of 2009 had sold over a million on the wii. Another poster comes in and says none of them were million sellers last year without any proof and then makes a list of his own of games that will sell over a million this year. He lists ea sports active:more workouts as a game that would sell over a million by the end of the year even tho it isn't out yet and would have to do it in 6 weeks :lol. I point out it has low pre orders/sales and nothing else and i get jumped on.

Opiate

The skepticism of Doicare seems unwarranted to me. He has had some insights in the past, and he has been the best predictor of US game sales for two years running.

Let me repeat that: Doicare has been the best predictor of US game sales for two years straight.

I believe the hostility (as opposed to the skepticism) comes from his apparent bias, i.e. his implication seems to be that the Wii is a bad system for third party games, when for any other system, any dip in third party sales would clearly be associated with less quality third party titles. In fact, we've seen examples of this: in April, when PS3/360 software was down, it was (correctly) pointed out that 2009 had no GTA4 equivalent. The logical conclusion under those circumstances was not that the PS3/360 had suddenly lost their ability to sell third party software, but that variations in quality and consumer demand produce varying results.

I'm fairly certain this is why Doicare receives such hostility. Of course, all of this deals with undertones and implications, so I could be making it all up. I personally am inclined to believe the underlying facts he's stating, although I'm not sure I'd reach the conclusion that the Wii is at fault here.

Kozak

Banned
Opiate said:
The skepticism of Doicare seems unwarranted to me. He has had some insights in the past, and he has been the best predictor of US game sales for two years running.

Let me repeat that: Doicare has been the best predictor of US game sales for two years straight.

I believe the hostility (as opposed to the skepticism) comes from his apparent bias, i.e. his implication seems to be that the Wii is a bad system for third party games, when for any other system, any dip in third party sales would clearly be associated with less quality third party titles. In fact, we've seen examples of this: in April, when PS3/360 software was down, it was (correctly) pointed out that 2009 had no GTA4 equivalent. The logical conclusion under those circumstances was not that the PS3/360 had suddenly lost their ability to sell third party software, but that variations in quality and consumer demand produce varying results.

I'm fairly certain this is why Doicare receives such hostility. Of course, all of this deals with undertones and implications, so I could be making it all up. I personally am inclined to believe the underlying facts he's stating, although I'm not sure I'd reach the conclusion that the Wii is at fault here.

I don't think he has a bias against the Wii at all.

The Wii actually is a bad place for 3rd party software. I don't care how many times some LEGO games and RE4Wii gets listed.

However his prediction on the failure of EA Sports Active is rather naive.

doicare

For the record i am not saying because ea sports active:more workouts has low pre orders it will sell poorly overall. All i am saying is, it is unlikely to sell over 1 million before the end of the year, that is all.

Kozak

Banned
doicare said:
For the record i am not saying because ea sports active has low pre orders it will sell poorly overall. All i am saying is, it is unlikely to sell over 1 million before the end of the year, that is all.

Then I would be agreeing with you.

markatisu

doicare said:
For the record i am not saying because ea sports active:more workouts has low pre orders it will sell poorly overall. All i am saying is, it is unlikely to sell over 1 million before the end of the year, that is all.

I think most people would agree with that, you did not phrase it that way originally. It will do well, last November and December multiple Wii fitness games pushed more than 600k (Jillian Micheals, Golds Gym, Wii Fit)

EDarkness

Kozak said:
I don't think he has a bias against the Wii at all.

The Wii actually is a bad place for 3rd party software. I don't care how many times some LEGO games and RE4Wii gets listed.

However his prediction on the failure of EA Sports Active is rather naive.

I don't think it's a bad place for 3rd parties, but the effort put into Wii games by 3rd parties is pretty silly. If they put the same amount of work and love into their Wii games as they do their 360/PS3 games, I have a feeling they'd be doing better.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AceBandage said:
No.
It has slightly better production values, but you'll get more bang for your buck from Overkill.

Also, I can't honestly believe EA was surprised the game didn't sell well.
RE:UC sold well because it was freaking Resident Evil.
Overkill sold well because it was House of the Dead (but it sold substantially less than UC or even HotD 2&3).

Oy.

I disagree, Extraction is longer, with more enemy variation and some difficulty, where Overkill on all difficulties is pretty damn easy and short.

Overkill is HILARIOUS though.

Both are worth at least a rent.

Opiate said:

I'm not questioning his insight. What i don't like is discussing data which has no source and only he knows what it is (if its even real).

Opiate said:

:lol

Best predictor of US game sales? You base this on what?

AdventureRacing said:
I'm not questioning his insight. What i don't like is discussing data which has no source and only he knows what it is (if its even real).
His already been banned once for citing "inside source". I'm not sure why he keeps doing it....well actually I do.

doicare said:
I'm not the one claiming this or that game sold a million on any platform, you are. The burden of proof is on you.

Opiate said:

His been busted using preorder numbers for one store chain in Japan as total preorder numbers for a ton of games and stating as cold hard numbers. eg. DQIX > 20x RE5 numbers. I believe it was COMGNET preorder numbers.

Would you have skepticism for someone who uses such tactics for sales analyzing? He always focus on Wii software sales and how bad they are without using data to back it up. It's clear he does it for the attention and not for the sake of sales-age.

I mean the Wii sold the most third party software in 2008 but he focus instead on 2009, the number of games released and the quality of it. We all know the quality of Wii's third party software is bad but despite this fact the system itself is selling alot of them and until we get updated numbers, we do not know how 2009 is faring. There's opinion and fact, he likes to state his opinion as fact. He might be right that software sales in 2009 aren't that good, most think the same, but that doesn't make his claims based on nothing but his "feelings" anymore relevant then VGchartzzz. Even a broken clock is right two times a day.

Top Bottom